TV News: Leslie Jones not returning to Saturday Night Live

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Leslie Jones not returning to Saturday Night Live

By Dan Snierson
August 27, 2019 at 03:30 PM EDT

FBTwitter

If you have a jones for Leslie Jones, Saturday Night Live will not be the place to see her anymore.

The comedian/actress has exited NBC’s late-night sketch series a month before season 45 begins, EW has confirmed.

WILL HEATH/NBC/NBCU PHOTO BANK VIA GETTY IMAGES

Jones first popped up on SNL during a controversial Weekend Update segment in spring 2014, and was upped to a featured player that fall, becoming the oldest new cast member at age 47. She scored last season in a sketch in which she passionately debated the merits of old-school Weezer at a dinner party, and by getting Naked and Afraid with Peter Dinklage in 2016. She also scored frequently with her no-holds-barred commentaries on Weekend Update (during which she frequently flirted with anchor Colin Jost). For her work on SNL, Jones was nominated for a Supporting Actress Emmy in 2017 and 2018, receiving a third nomination this year for Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics for “The Upper East Side.”

The Ghostbusters alum opted to depart SNL to focus on her burgeoning Hollywood career outside of late night. She will star with Chris Rock in the upcoming indie boxing drama I Am Maurice, and with Kristen Bell in the indie film Queenpins. She’s currently filming the Coming to America sequel Jones has also signed on to host and executive-produce a reboot of Supermarket Sweep,

There had been questions swirling around possible departures for SNL veterans. Kenan Thompson (who is the longest-tenured cast member in SNL history) confirmed over the summer that he will be returning, although he will star in a new NBC family comedy. And EW can confirm that Kate McKinnon (responsible for some of the show’s biggest breakout moments) has signed on for season 45, which begins Sept. 28.

On Monday, Saturday Night Live released a line-up of hosts and musical guests for season 45, which includes Eddie Murphy and Taylor Swift.

big enos burrnet

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
she is better off i hate seeing the watered down version of her now she can let all the mother fuckers fly clean out her mouth now...:yes::yes:

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I thought she definitely had her moments on the show where she shined. She seems to have a lot of projects in the works, so she won't be hurting for gigs.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Leslie Jones breaks silence on SNL exit with her own DMX Challenge video

By Nick Romano
September 03, 2019 at 10:48 AM EDT
FBTwitter

Loaded: 100.00%

COMING UP...
IT'S COMPLICATED: JIMMY SMITS AND CAITLIN MCGEE PLAY FATHER AND DAUGHTER ON 'BLUFF CITY LAW'

Saturday Night Live
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
GENRE
“Yes it’s true I am leaving Saturday Night Live.”

Leslie Jones publicly addressed her departure from NBC’s long-running sketch comedy series in a heartfelt message shared on Twitter, accompanied by her own spin on the DMX Challenge.

The comedienne gave thanks to SNL‘s executive producer Lorne Michaels, the writers and crew, her fellow cast mates (including her Ghostbusters costar Kate McKinnon and “porcelain-skinned Ken doll” Colin Jost), and her fans.

KEVIN MAZUR/GETTY IMAGES
To Michaels, she wrote, “You’ve changed my life in so many ways! Thank you for being my mentor and confidant and for always having my back. You not only have my loyalty but you have my heart too! You have shown me skills I never imagined I had. I leave a better performer because of you.”

PAID CONTENT
Get a free smartphone.
On the network more people rely on.

From Verizon
Meanwhile, the video, set to DMX’s “What They Really Want,” runs down some of Jones’ most iconic characters after five seasons on SNL.

Leslie Jones

✔@Lesdoggg

https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/1168854601510072325

1/5
Yes it’s true I am leaving Saturday Night Live. I cannot thank NBC, the producers, writers, and amazing crew enough for making SNL my second home these last five years. Lorne Michaels, you’ve changed my life in so many ways! Thank you for being my mentor and confidant and for

7:53 AM - Sep 3, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

4,758 people are talking about this

“I will miss holding it down with Kenan [Thompson] everyday, I will miss Cecily [Strong]’s impression of me making me laugh at myself often, I will miss Kate’s loving hugs and talks when I needed,” Jones continued. “And of course Colin, you porcelain-skinned Ken doll. I will miss all my cast mates!! Especially being at the table reads with them!! Everyone needs to know Leslie Jones couldn’t have done any of the things I did without these people.”

News of Jones’ leave from the show came a week ago, a month before the start of season 45.

Jones, who recently voiced a main role in The Angry Birds Movie 2, had nabbed her own Netflix stand-up comedy special to air in 2020, as well as a hosting gig on the upcoming Supermarket Sweep reboot. She’s also filming a role in the Coming to America sequel, Coming 2 America.

Speaking to her fans on Twitter, Jones teased, “I know you will be as excited as I am when you see some of the amazing projects and adventures that I have coming up very soon!”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Leslie Jones to host Supermarket Sweep reboot for first post-Saturday Night Live TV gig

By Sydney Bucksbaum
August 27, 2019 at 10:03 PM EDT
FBTwitter

Loaded: 40.22%

YOU MIGHT LIKE
'THE RESIDENT' STARS MATT CZUCHRY AND JANE LEEVES GEAR UP FOR SEASON 3
Well, that was fast!

Just a few hours after Leslie Jones’ exit from Saturday Night Live was revealed, she has already set her first post-SNL television gig, trading sketch comedy for grocery stores.

After five seasons on the NBC late-night series, the comedian and actor is set to host and executive-produce a Supermarket Sweep reboot, according to Deadline. (Representatives for Jones did not immediately respond to EW’s request for comment.)

As first reported back in 2017, Fremantle is bringing the classic TV game show back, and there’s said to be a lot of interest from both broadcast networks and streaming services. So far the reboot doesn’t have a home, but seeing as how Jones is a favorite at NBC from her time on SNL and covering the Olympics and currently has a comedy special with Netflix, those could be the top contenders in a bidding war.

WILL HEATH/NBC/NBCU PHOTO BANK VIA GETTY IMAGES
Supermarket Sweep originally aired on ABC from 1965 to 1967, before returning on Lifetime from 1990 to 1995 and then on PAX from 1999 to 2003. The game is pretty straightforward: Contestants race around a grocery store filling their carts with items that have the highest monetary value. At the end of the time limit, whoever has the most valuable cart wins. But expect Jones to inject her signature brand of wacky commentary into the new reboot for some added flavor that is sure to make episodes of this new iteration go viral.

Earlier Tuesday, EW confirmed that Jones has exited SNL less than a month before season 45 begins. She opted to depart the sketch series to focus on her burgeoning film career. She will star with Chris Rock in the upcoming indie boxing drama I Am Maurice, and with Kristen Bell in the indie film Queenpins. She’s currently filming the Coming to America sequel Coming 2 America. Earlier this month, Jones also announced that she will headline a comedy special for Netflix that will premiere in 2020.

Since her decision to leave SNL happened during a hiatus, she didn’t get the usual fanfare that comes with a beloved cast member exiting the series. At least we’ll always have the memories (and videos) of her best sketches.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Leslie Jones Doesn’t Exactly Miss Her SNL Days
By Devon Ivie@devonsaysrelax
Photo: Netflix

a213e567ea6f18810109f40b568246c522-19-leslie-jones.rsquare.w330.jpg

Live from this interview, it’s a lingering gripe. Leslie Jones, whose comedic tenure on Saturday Night Live resulted in three Emmy nominations before she left the show in 2019, is now offering some perspective about her time in Studio 8H — mostly that she’s happy to be gone and hosting the reboot of Supermarket Sweep.

“I don’t miss it. At all,” she told Entertainment Tonight in a new interview. “That job was hard, man. That job was like two jobs and very restrictive too. I wasn’t very free there.” The one thing that she does miss “so much,” though, is working and spending time with national treasure Kenan Thompson, which, of course. Jones previously told the New York Times earlier this year that she was thrilled to be freed from the SNL institution, because she got “bored” and wanted to do “different things.” We can think of no better career switch than yelling about the price of chickpeas at shoppers

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Leslie Jones Says Waiting for 2020 Election Votes to Be Counted Is Like an STD Test
By Megh Wright@megh_wright

Supermarket Sweep host and Saturday Night Live alum Leslie Jones was a guest on last night’s Late Night, and when Seth Meyers asked her how she’s handling the torturous suspense that is waiting for all of the presidential-election votes to come in, she illustrated her emotions with a pretty solid comparison. “It’s like waiting on an STD test: Do I got it, man? Do I got it?!” she said. “But you’re feeling like you probably don’t have it — is that where we’re at right now?” Meyers asked while laughing, to which Jones responded, “I’m feeling like the test is gonna come back my way.”
Jones also has strong feelings about John King and Steve Kornacki’s magic-map coverage on CNN and MSNBC, respectively. “I hate them weathermen,” she told Meyers, adding that she finds joy when they press the wrong buttons (“‘Cause you’re trying to be impressive, and you’re not impressive!”) and absolutely hates when the camera follows them as they “cross the floor” in the studio to talk to another news anchor (“It makes me wanna … You’re not important! And you’re telling me the same thing you told me five seconds ago!”).

Another thing Jones hated, unsurprisingly, was Donald Trump’s speech on Election Night — the same one that Savannah Guthrie had to interrupt live on NBC due to his inaccurate claims. “Have you ever just seen a kid that is just mad because somebody don’t like them? Like he had this little paper and everything; he was like, ‘Yeah, we’re gonna take this to court!’” Jones said. “And I’m just like, Ugh, get out please! Please just get out!” While Jones appreciated Joe Biden’s speech calling for the American people to be patient, she did offer one suggestion to speed up the results: “Seth, can we get American Idol to help them get the results faster? How American Idol can get they stuff in one night and we can’t?” Excellent point — must be looked into.