TV: Russo Brothers remaking The Warriors w/Paramount & Hulu (KD will sign ONLY if successful 1st yr)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
https://deadline.com/2016/07/the-ru...lm-the-warriors-tv-paramount-hulu-1201782686/

The Russo Brothers Adapting Cult Classic Gang Film ‘The Warriors’ For TV With Paramount And Hulu

joe-russo-anthony-russo-produced-by.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Joe and Anthony Russo are taking a breather from the Marvel world to adapt cult-classic film The Warriors as a one-hour drama with Paramount TV andHulu. The brothers will reimagine Walter Hill’s iconic 1979 film, itself an adaptation of Sol Yurick’s classic novel. Their take will honor the original film while adding its own unique brand of grit, pulp, sex and violence. The Russo brothers will team with writer Frank Baldwin on the series. The Russo brothers will direct the pilot, although no word yet as to any directing commitment beyond that.

The film was set in 1979, at a time when parts of New York still resembled war-torn Mogadishu, torn apart by rivalry between deadly gangs. A charismatic leader summons these street gangs of New York City in a bid to take it over. When he is shot and killed during the rally, one of the gangs, the Warriors, is falsely blamed for his death and its member must fight their way home while every other gang is hunting them down to kill them. Hill’s film remains a classic of its genre. Who, for example, can forget the psychotic character’s Luther call for the Warriors to “Come out to play”? The cast included Michael Beck and James Remar.

The Russos are the cinematic equivalent of King Midas right now, having crushed the past two installments of Captain AmericaThe Winter Soldier and the even more acclaimed Civil War. The duo also are attached to direct Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War Parts I and II, and have a number of other high-profile projects in the pipeline as producers including Space Runners at Fox 2000, 17 Bridges at STX and a remake of The Thomas Crown Affair at MGM with Michael B. Jordan attached to star.

The Warriors series will be a Paramount Television Production in association with the Russo brothers, Getaway Productions. Joe and Anthony Russo and Mike Larocca serve as producers. Lawrence Gordon (producer of the original film) is an exec producer on the new project. The brothers are repped by WME.

Paramount TV has just wrapped Berlin Station airing on EPIX in the fall and is production on 13 Reasons Why for Netflix with Tom McCarthy directing. School of Rock just wrapped season one for Nickolodeon with a second season ordered as well as of Shooter with Ryan Phillippe premiering on USA this month. Paramount is also prepping The Alienist with Cary Fukunaga directing.

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
I love the idea. The game and the comics made me realize that only 9 delegates were selected for the big meeting. I didn't really pay attention to that at first. Meaning there are more members in Coney. Would be dope to see more from that story and other members.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bad idea,something don't need to be turned into nothing they need to be left alone.

I love the movie,I liked the video game.

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member
VERY interesting.

Im ready to see what happens when Hollyhood goes back to the 70s and the 80s on film - and do it right. They already doing Westworld on HBO. There are a dozen properties I can think of off the bat, Warriors is definitely one of them. Sharky's Machine, The Golden Child and Action Jackson are three others I would start writing tomorrow if I could. Oh yeah and They Live.

oNE

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
VERY interesting.

Im ready to see what happens when Hollyhood goes back to the 70s and the 80s on film - and do it right. They already doing Westworld on HBO. There are a dozen properties I can think of off the bat, Warriors is definitely one of them. Sharky's Machine, The Golden Child and Action Jackson are three others I would start writing tomorrow if I could. Oh yeah and They Live.

oNE

Co-SIGN

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member

Fam - they just don't make movies like this anymore so doing a show for it might seem plausible. What has happened in Hollyhood is downright disheartening.

A decade ago, before sequelitus hit, I wrote a spec for a Sharky's Machine remake (sequel) and the first notice I got was some producer talking about rewriting my shit to give the lead telepathy and making the killer undying - he said think Xavier versus Wolverine meets Homicide.

:smh:

I started laughing, he said what the fuck is so funny kid? I said nothing, let him keep talking and when I hung up, I got drunk and cried. I went from trying to get my name out there to almost hiding my shit until HBO came a calling. lol

:curse:
oNE

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Fam - they just don't make movies like this anymore so doing a show for it might seem plausible. What has happened in Hollyhood is downright disheartening.

A decade ago, before sequelitus hit, I wrote a spec for a Sharky's Machine remake (sequel) and the first notice I got was some producer talking about rewriting my shit to give the lead telepathy and making the killer undying - he said think Xavier versus Wolverine meets Homicide.

:smh:

I started laughing, he said what the fuck is so funny kid? I said nothing, let him keep talking and when I hung up, I got drunk and cried. I went from trying to get my name out there to almost hiding my shit until HBO came a calling. lol

:curse:
oNE

Darth how in the hell do even go about getting an agent ESPECIALLY nowadays?

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member
Darth how in the hell do even go about getting an agent ESPECIALLY nowadays?

No. I dunno fam. I NEED AN AGENT TOO.

Back then, I was talking to an entertainment lawyer I met on a whim and she passed my script off to a friend of a friend, that kind of thing. She was an AKA. You'd be amazed at how far that thing got but without an agent it didn't get optioned. I'm sure its on someone's shelf under an inch of dust.

The Russo's had stories like that, they were background hopefuls for years, way before Arrested Development.
oNE

TheProdigal

Invincible under the sun
Registered
I love the idea. The game and the comics made me realize that only 9 delegates were selected for the big meeting. I didn't really pay attention to that at first. Meaning there are more members in Coney. Would be dope to see more from that story and other members.

Yeah theres a deleted scene where cleons talking to the warriors about why he selected them for the meet and mentions that their are 120 warriors.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Yeah, I don't know about this one. They tried to do 70's BX in The Getdown and it just didn't feel right. Maybe to folks who ain't from NYC it does but not to NYers.

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor
Yeah, I don't know about this one. They tried to do 70's BX in The Getdown and it just didn't feel right. Maybe to folks who ain't from NYC it does but not to NYers.

Yeah the GETDOWN had potential but screwed it all all the way up. Too many things about it made it too damn crazy to consider it real. Its like they sprinkled name dropped names & references on a bullshit as mystical, twisted story and used Flash's credibility to seem legit. Such a huge disappointment!!

smoovejazz

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I came in here thinking KD was actually going to dabble in acting, then I got the reference. Joke's on me. Oh well...I'm not a morning person.