TV Show: Neil Gaiman Anansi Boys to become Amazon series separate from canceled American Gods UPDATE: #metoo

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys to become Amazon series separate from canceled American Gods

A six-episode limited series will start filming in Scotland later this year and isn't considered a spin-off.
By Nick Romano
July 21, 2021 at 10:07 AM EDT

Anansi Boys, Neil Gaiman's literary spin-off to his acclaimed American Gods novel, is getting a TV adaptation after all these years — an interesting choice given everything that's happened with the American Gods show and the character known as Mr. Nancy.

Amazon Studios has greenlit a six-episode limited series based on the 2005 book with plans to start shooting in Scotland later this year. The streamer also released official key art to announce the show on Wednesday.

While the world of American Gods focuses on a war between the deities of classical mythologies (Odin, Thoth, Queen of Sheba, etc.) and the New Gods of modernity (technology, media, and the like), Anansi Boys centers on the family of Mr. Nancy, the African trickster god Anansi, who appears in both books. It's a story about Charlie Nancy, who learns that his recently deceased father is none other than Anansi. On top of that, he has a brother he never knew about who's entering his life and making it more dangerous.

Starz aired three seasons of its American Gods TV series before it was canceled unceremoniously with a cliffhanger ending. Gaiman and the producers at Fremantle are trying to keep the adaptation alive in some capacity, potentially with a movie to cap things off, but so far the project is still in limbo.

As for Anansi Boys, the show will be separate from American Gods. According to Gaiman in a post shared on his blog, the books are also symbiotic but also separate. "I borrowed Mr Nancy from the story I had not yet told and I put him, or a version of him, into American Gods," he wrote.

Mr. Nancy appeared on Starz's series for two seasons, but Orlando Jones, the actor who played him and helped write for the fantasy drama, said he was fired ahead of season 3 because American Gods' latest showrunner Chic Eglee felt "Mr. Nancy's angry, get sh– done is the wrong message for Black America."

"Don't let these motherf–ers tell you they love Mr. Nancy. They don't," Jones had said in a video message to fans. He later went into greater detail about the experience in an interview with EW, saying, "It was a blindside."

Representatives for Starz, Fremantle, and Eglee refuted Jones' claims at the time and stated characters, including Mr. Nancy, weren't a part of the chapters in the original book that were informing the season 3 arc.

All that is to say, it's not surprising that Anansi Boys isn't connected to American Gods.

"Anansi Boys as a TV series has been a long time coming — I first started working with [production companies] Endor and Red on making it over a decade ago," Gaiman said in a statement. "We needed Amazon Prime to come on board and embrace our vision, we needed a lead director with the craft and vision of Hanelle Culpepper, we needed the creative and technical wizardry of Douglas Mackinnon (who worked out how we could push the bounds of the possible to shoot a story set all over the world in a huge studio outside Edinburgh), and we needed the rest of the amazing talents that nobody knows about yet.

The idea for the original book stemmed from conversations between Gaiman and Sir Lenny Henry, who now returns as an executive producer on the adaptation.

"We are trying to make a new kind of show with Anansi Boys, and to break ground with it to make something that celebrates and rejoices in diversity both in front of and behind the camera," Gaiman added. "I'm so thrilled it's happening and that people will be meeting Mr. Nancy, Charlie, and Spider, the Bird Woman and the rest of them."

Gaiman will coshowrun the series with Mackinnon, and he's also writing the episodes with Henry, Arvind Ethan David, Kara Smith, and Racheal Ofori.
Culpepper (Star Trek: Picard, Memories of Ptolemy Grey) will direct the pilot, while Jermain Julien (Grantchester) and Azhur Saleem (Doctor Who) will helm other episodes.

This news comes after Amazon greenlit a second season of Gaiman's other big show, an adaptation of Good Omens.

@largebillsonlyplease @fonzerrillii @ViCiouS

Last edited:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
? It's Orlando's show. On Amazon not HBO
Writing Credits (in alphabetical order)

Produced by

Hilary Bevan Jones...executive producer
Hanelle M. Culpepper...executive producer
Richard Fee...executive producer
Paul Frift...producer
Neil Gaiman...executive producer / producer (showrunner)
Lenny Henry...executive producer
Douglas Mackinnon...co-executive producer (co-showrunner) / executive producer / producer (showrunner)

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Im good. White men getting green lit to make shows about African Gods. Fuck that.

Last edited:

vertigo

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Although I would have absolutely loved for Orlando Jones to reprise his role, I'm gonna give this a shot for (among other reasons);

Neil Gaiman co-showrunning /exec. producing, Lenny Henry writing/co- producing, Hanelle Cullpepper directing (at least some episodes) and Delroy Lindo

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's like having Sanford and Son without Redd Foxx, what's the fukin' point?
That's like having Sanford and Son without Redd Foxx, what's the fukin' point?
ummmm they actually did that for a while on the show....remember redd foxx famously had a spat with his producers over money and his dressing room during the middle of sanford and sons successful run (those were the episodes you saw grady "watching the house while fred was in st. louis).

didn't slow the show down any....just sayin:dunno:

November 17

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I like Delroy Lindo, but I feel Orlando Jones should have the opportunity to reprise his role. In addition, to being an actor he is a writer by trade also, and growing up in the South he can draw on so much for the character.

Last edited:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

:eek2:
Amanda Palmer and the British author Neil Gaiman confirmed their engagement in 2010.[72]

The couple married in a private ceremony in January 2011.[73] The wedding took place in the parlor of the writers Ayelet Waldman and Michael Chabon.[74] They have a son, born in 2015.[75]

In March 2020, Palmer was on the final leg of her international tour in support of her latest album, There Will Be No Intermission, when countries started grounding flights and locking down borders due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Palmer, Gaiman, and their son were in Havelock North, Hawke's Bay, when on 25 March 2020, the New Zealand Government announced that the whole country would move to COVID-19 Alert Level 4: complete lockdown and quarantining of people within their own homes.[76] Palmer later announced on her Patreon that she and Gaiman had separated.

The couple later released a joint statement clarifying that they were not, however, getting divorced.[77]

They reconciled in 2021.[78][79]

In November 2022, Palmer and Gaiman announced in a joint statement that they would divorce.[80][81]

As detailed in an extensive investigation conducted by Tortoise Media, the alleged incidents took place nearly 20 years apart from each other and involve two women who had been in consensual relationships with the author. The first woman to come forward, identified as a 23-year-old named Scarlett, was a nanny to Gaiman’s child at his New Zealand home when the incident took place in 2022.

Gaiman was previously married to singer-songwriter Amanda Palmer. The two had an open marriage (they were free to date other people ) and parted their ways in 2022.

Read more at:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst
:puzzled::puzzled::puzzled:

Last edited:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
@playahaitian

oh it gets deeper...:giggle:

Five years ago Palmer told Out.com,

I've never been comfortable in a monogamous relationship in my life. I feel like I was built for open relationships just because of the way I function. It's not a reactive decision like, 'Hey I'm on the road, you're on the road, let's just find other people.' It was a fundamental building block of our relationship. We both like things this way.

...The open-ness is grounded in total honesty with one another. We're very communicative with each other and we share everything. I think that's the way you gotta do it. I can't speak for anyone but myself, and there are a million ways to love and be in a relationship. But fundamentally, I think if you're going to have a really, truly loving partnership, you have to be completely transparent, communicating and sharing everything. Neil and I fall more and more in love with each other every day, and I think part of that is because we encourage each other to say more, share more, to peel ourselves open to each other in the middle of the night when the day is done and the real talking happens. It's not always easy, the peeling sometimes hurts, but the deep love it fosters is clear to see.

..It was a condition of our relationship. ...The relationship that I came out of before Neil, [former guy] was a strict monogamist. And I was enough in love that I thought ya know, I'm in my early 30s, I have done a lot of slutting around. I'm really in love, I can do this. I can be done with sleeping with everyone I want to, that's fine. But the conversation came up pretty fast, 'cause when Neil and I met and started dating we talked about everything. And he was like, "I'm totally game to let you sleep with whoever you want," and I was like "Great! I'm game for that too. Let's definitely do that."

And to be fair, or to be totally honest, we agreed to shut down the openness of our relationship until further notice at least when I got pregnant, because it was too complicated. And it's been complicated. Being in an open marriage, or a polygamous relationship [sic], you might think it would make the relationship easier, simpler. It actually means you need to maintain a stronger relationship, a more communicative relationship. It needs to be so grounded, to weather the energy of other sexual partners, that if you're not really ready to do that work, I wouldn't recommend it.

And do you talk about it? Like "Hey darling, what did you do last night?" "I just went and fucked some guy."--?

Yeah, except that doesn't happen very often. Especially as we've gotten older and we've experimented with what works and doesn't work and what drives the other one into a jealous rage, we've had to impose sort of more boundaries and rules and understandings, because, fundamentally, we love each other and we are a primary relationship. And so anything that is going to threaten our marriage has to go. And, plenty of those things have happened. And any time something comes in to threaten our marriage, whether it's a breaking of trust, or a person who's slightly too crazy, or this that or the other thing. It's difficult but we have to sit there and talk about it, sort it and deal with it. And we deal with that — the same way people in "more normal" monogamous marriages, deal with all the shit they have to deal with. ... So a lot of it is the same set of issues, you just stick a different frame around it.

... A lot of it now is now like, Neil's in his fifties, I'm in my forties, neither of us are all that into super-casual sex. And neither of us are into sleeping with random crazy people. So, a lot of this happens in a more boring adult way.... Things like that do come up in conversation, and since it's been a number of years now since I've slept with anyone but Neil, I can't even remember. I'm so focused on my child right now instead....

His marriage to Palmer was, initially, “a very open relationship”. They have a two-year-old son. So while it is “a theoretically open relationship, it’s kind of closed in practice. Because neither of us is going to sleep with other people when we’ve got a two-year-old with us; and neither of us is going to sleep with other people when the other can’t because they’ve got a two-year-old with them.

“There is a fairness to relationships. At some point maybe it will open up again. Right now it’s kind of moot,” he says, given that they are “sharing a bedroom with a two-year-old who’s just figured out how to get out of his crib.”

...Amanda will probably have one precondition for her husband if she does decide to have another child – that he doesn’t sleep around during the pregnancy!

“We have a pretty progressive open marriage based on really clear communication and a lot of compassion and the rules, and the boundaries change around all the time,” she explained.

“For instance, when I was pregnant I respectfully asked Neil to close the marriage down for a while because it didn’t feel emotionally safe to go fooling around with anyone else. So, we closed the marriage down for a while.

“I think there’s a lot of options out there for a lot of relationships and, once again, as a society we’ve got a long way to go just in terms of how we relate to each other and do relationships and do them compassionately.

“But Neil and I have been on a 10-year learning curve about how to be in the most liberated and yet compassionate relationships where we ain’t ever stomping on one another’s feelings.”

She admitted jealousy can “absolutely” at times come into play as a result of an open marriage.

“And negotiating that can be really difficult,” she concluded. “But voluntarily negotiating it together, the awareness and the self awareness of all of that stuff can strengthen your relationship instead of tearing it apart…”

November 4, 2022

A JOINT STATEMENT FROM ME AND NEIL​

Hi Everyone.

Neil is posting this on his blog as well.

After many years of marriage, we have made the difficult decision to divorce. While we will no longer be partners in marriage, we will remain in one another’s lives as co-parents committed to raising our wonderful son in a loving and compassionate environment. We deeply appreciate everyone respecting our family’s privacy so we can focus on our son and entering this new chapter in our lives.

Love.

people fool themselves...seriously:smh::smh::smh::rolleyes2::rolleyes2: