OG Investor
2 people shot dead at Louisiana's Grambling State University, suspect sought
6 / 16

FOX News

FoxNews.com3 hrs ago

• AAu1uBZ.img
  • AAu1vPi.img
  • AAu1xdS.img
a car parked on the side of a road: Grambling State University on high alert as police search for suspect.

"It was an altercation that started inside one of the dorm rooms and spilled out into the courtyard," Williams said. "We're interviewing witnesses."

One of the victims was identified as Earl Andrews, 23, a student at the university, Grambling State University Media Relations Director Will Sutton told local news outlets. The other man killed was Monquiarius Caldwell, 23. It’s unclear why Caldwell was on the campus and what his relationship is with Andrews. Both men were from Farmerville, La.

The shooting occurred as students celebrated the university’s Homecoming, the Monroe News Star reported. Grambling State University did not address the shooting directly on its social media pages, but said Wednesday morning that offices and buildings will be open.

"Grambling State University offices are open with normal business hours and students are expected to attend classes as scheduled," the university said in a tweet.

Sutton called the deadly shooting a “horrible tragedy” and “nothing that anybody would’ve ever wanted to have happened.”

"Our prayers are with the victims and their families," Sutton said. "There’s no place for violence on Grambling State University campus. We always encourage our students to be safe, to be aware, watch who they hang out with, and watch who’s around at all times. This is a most unfortunate situation."

The Associated Press contributed to this report

As a SWAC grad this news saddens me.:( If anyone from Grambling can chime in it would be appreciated. This was also their homecoming week as well.

JofromthaNO

Urban Renaissance Woman
BGOL Investor
Whereas I don't have the fairest of opinions about Grambling State University (mom is a SU alumnus, and dad went to Xavier,) I can say that this is saddening. HBCUs are experiencing stellar growth in numbers, and I hope this doesn't tarnish what reputation they have, considering how they're known to matriculate extraordinary young black men and women.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Whereas I don't have the fairest of opinions about Grambling State University (mom is a SU alumnus, and dad went to Xavier,) I can say that this is saddening. HBCUs are experiencing stellar growth in numbers, and I hope this doesn't tarnish what reputation they have, considering how they're known to matriculate extraordinary young black men and women.

It's unfortunately something that just occasionally occurs sometimes as HBCU's

They had shootings the past two weekends at Virginia State

Shadow22

Rising Star
Registered

Tarnish fuck that bullshit. I just heard on the news at a small majority college a few black student orgs experience hate speech spray painted on the wall.

Turns out it was an older black student who did the bs.

Anyone black, white etc who has a negative viewpoint of HBCUs has already had that viewpoint. Don't feed into the fuck shit. Im proud of all HBCUs.

Last edited:

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
it won't change anything, this was just a random incident. hbcu's will continue to keep pushing out great black men and women.

JofromthaNO

Urban Renaissance Woman
BGOL Investor
Tarnish fuck that bullshit. I just heard on the news at a small majority college a few black student orgs experience hate speech spray painted on the wall.

Turns out it was an older black student who did the bs.

Anyone black, white etc who has a negative viewpoint of HBCUs has already had that viewpoint. Don't feed into the fuck shit. Im proud of all HBCUs.

You'd have to be from the boot to get why I feel the way I do about GSU - I mentioned my mother went to Southern in Baton Rouge. They have a long-standing rivalry with each other, like HU and the real HU (lol.)

When it all comes down to it, I will gladly support any and all HBCUs - but, just as with PWIs and other colleges, there are different tiers to them. That I won't lie about it...

Shadow22

Rising Star
Registered
You'd have to be from the boot to get why I feel the way I do about GSU - I mentioned my mother went to Southern in Baton Rouge. They have a long-standing rivalry with each other, like HU and the real HU (lol.)

When it all comes down to it, I will gladly support any and all HBCUs - but, just as with PWIs and other colleges, there are different tiers to them. That I won't lie about it...

I know the rivalry well from a distance. My ex from middle and highschool is a southern alum. I grew up coming down to see Grambling play football at the classic when my siblings and i would visit our Grand Parents in Bama.

I love both schools especially Southern :hulksmash2::pain:

JofromthaNO

Urban Renaissance Woman
BGOL Investor
I know the rivalry well from a distance. My ex from middle and highschool is a southern alum. I grew up coming down to see Grambling play football at the classic when my siblings and i would visit our Grand Parents in Bama.

I love both schools especially Southern :hulksmash2::pain:

Yeah, I have nothing but love for SWAC schools - my cousin and brother played in Southern's band, and I loved going to see Southern play Jackson State, etc. But, hands down, best time I ever had was the annual Bayou Classic. But, I know it doesn't compare to my HU...just saying...lol

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
Yeah, I have nothing but love for SWAC schools - my cousin and brother played in Southern's band, and I loved going to see Southern play Jackson State, etc. But, hands down, best time I ever had was the annual Bayou Classic. But, I know it doesn't compare to my HU...just saying...lol

I am a JSU man.

cb71109

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
GSU alumni on deck. This happens to every few years. Personally saw a few bodies get dropped on that campus. Still doesn’t take away from the thousands of black professionals that have graduated from there.

THE DRIZZY

OG Investor
GSU alumni on deck. This happens to every few years. Personally saw a few bodies get dropped on that campus. Still doesn’t take away from the thousands of black professionals that have graduated from there.

Glad to hear from you. The violence on HBCU's campuses are a problem. It either comes from region hate or the townies who hate the college students. Much love to all HBCU's and PBI's whether you SWAC, MEAC, SEAC, independent, or private.

Last edited:

THE DRIZZY

OG Investor
See above post - brother and cousin played in the band there. I beg to differ, but, ya know, agree to disagree...

Loyalty is cool and you are correct about the agree to disagree. No HBCU grad will ever think another HBCU's band is better than theirs.

THE DRIZZY

OG Investor
They caught the shooter. The sad part was that the shooter was a fellow student. A freshman from St. Louis, MO.

I never understood the reason to bring street shit to a collegiate educational setting. Still need more info on what escalated the situation.

Shadow22

Rising Star
Registered
They caught the shooter. The sad part was that the shooter was a fellow student. A freshman from St. Louis, MO.

I never understood the reason to bring street shit to a collegiate educational setting. Still need more info on what escalated the situation.

The student wasn't educated outside the classroom and prepared well enough. I knew a breh from m town fellow hooper.

He couldn't cut his nonsense off. He had an ego and mouth . He ended up having beef with local gang leader round the corner in the jects. He dragged us all into his beef. Campus wasn't that big.