Uncle Tom #1: Stanley Crouch

gametheory1984

Potential Star
Registered
BITCHASSNIGGA #1: Stanley Crouch

NOTE: I CONCEDE THAT THE WHOLE UNCLE TOM REFERENCE WAS MADE IN INCORRECT CONTEXT. MY BAD. DAMN! DID ANYBODY CARE TO DISCUSS THE THREAD'S ORIGINAL INTENT? THAT IS POINTING OUT SOME OF THE BULLSHIT THAT MANY OF THESE SO-CALLED LEADERS OF BLACK INTELLIGENTSIA SAY???????

MAKE THIS THE OFFICIAL "FUCKIN' WHITE FOLKS ASS KISSIN' NON-BLACK BLACK PERSON" THREAD I'LL GET THE SHIT POPPIN'! READ ON!
(Note: These comments should be prefaced with the acknowledgment that some of the persons mentioned herein do deserve credit where credit is due for their positive contributions to black folk. This post does not intend to diminish the value of people who are probably otherwise very genuine and good hearted African-Americans who share our collective desire to see our people evolve. But dat shit still don't excuse the maufuckas from being called out for some of the dumb shit they say, do and stand for.)

WITH THAT SAID, LET'S GET IT POPPIN! POST YOUR OWN EXAMPLES OF F.W.F.A.K.N.B.B.P. IN REPLY

Stanley Crouch
This wholly irrelevant, culturally obsolete and socially disconnected black intellectual wish-he-could-be is so disgusted by rap music, but according to wikipedia, this is how he handles his own conflicts:

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Crouch

"Crouch has been very critical of his critics and detractors. At the First Annual Jazz Awards, Crouch was invited to present an award, and while reading the nominees made disparaging comments about two of them: trumpeter Dave Douglas and pianist Matthew Shipp. After the show, jazz critic Howard Mandel (not to be confused with "Deal or No Deal" host Howie Mandel), who was largely responsible for creating and organizing the Jazz Awards, confronted Crouch about his earlier comments. After a short argument, Crouch punched Mandel and then was confronted by Shipp, who called Crouch "an Uncle Tom and a fucking loser". However, the two were quickly separated and a brawl was avoided. [3]

In 2004, Crouch approached critic Dale Peck—who had written an unfavorable review of Crouch's first novel Don't the Moon Look Lonesome—in a Greenwich Village restaurant and slapped him in the face warning him, "Don’t you ever do that again. If you do you’ll get much worse." Crouch has also punched jazz writer Russ Musto and Village Voice letters editor Ron Plotkin and put fellow Voice critic Harry Allen in a choke hold, leading to his dismissal."

I wish Nelly or T.I. would have pointed out brother Crouch's own penchant for violence in his personal approach to conflict resolution when they all appeared on the BET Hip Hop vs. America shit. And doesn't Crouch's intellect pale in comparison to Dr. West and Dr. Dyson? They was eatin' ass for lunch.

Last edited:

gametheory1984

Potential Star
Registered
And all this from the cat who wanna know why Rap is more popular than Rock! LoL

So negating my possible misunderstanding of the term "Uncle Tom" in proper context, Stanley Crouch still be on some bullshit when he and Wynton Marsalis start bashing hip hop. And I got nothing but respect for Wynton; he's a brilliant musician with unmatched technical proficiency (though some accomplished jazz musicians say he really ain't got no soul in his playing). However, when them cats open their mouth and start talking about my culture, its obvious that they're talking about us, but not to us.

They're talking about us, but they're talking to the middled-aged to elderly wealthy white donors to Lincoln Center Jazz, the out of touch execs at Movado who blinged Wynton out so nicely with them watches that he flaunted in their full page ads in Vibe magazine.

Well, it's not like we're listening to them anyway. I just thought it should be noted.

Last edited:

Legacyns

Star
Registered
On the real tho, on the BET Hip-Hop Panel (which is fucked up in itself. BET HAS NO CREDIBILITY ON THIS TOPIC) Crouch went at Nelly & the other rappers but never said one word (or at least I didn't see it) to Melyssa Ford.

How long are we gonna talk about Nelly & 8 other guys in video & not talk about the 25 women there freely & willing getting butt nekkid? :smh:

Are young girls ALSO taking cues from the women in the videos like just like young boys are taking cues from the artists?

C'mon man... if you want accountability then make EVERYONE accountable including fuckin BET. The audacity of them to hold that shyt is un-fuckin-believable. :hmm:

gametheory1984

Potential Star
Registered
The whole discussion is bullshit if you ask me. I really said I wasn't going to watch the shit, but was falling asleep working one night and started watching some clips on the BET site and ended up watching the whole thing.

If anybody should show something like that, BET should. Now, you're right. BET is pretty much bullshit. Chuck D noted this on the forum when he mentioned the fact that shows like BET News and Teen Summit are no long a part of that network's offerings. I was sorry to see the Black Family Channel fizzle out into oblivion, but I'm a bit encouraged by TV One. They seem to kinda get it, and even BETJ is somewhat bearable these days. (However, even the existence of BETJ shows that our people don't give enough of a damn about Jazz music to have a whole station dedicated to it. I know, another discussion in itself.)

I completely hold EVERYONE accountable from consumers, to record labels, to distribution channels, to radio, to artists; EVERYBODY bears responsibility.

At the end of the day, I think people like Crouch and Dyson and West all have the same goal in mind for our people. Its just more palpable to engage people like Dr. West and Dr. Dyson in this discussion than people like Crouch who only want to condemn and juudge. Hip Hop doesn't need to go away. It just needs to grow up.

malaki

Star
Registered
fuck it that shit just makes me respect crouch a bit.

crouch is a tom but he knows he's playing a role.

Damn Right

Rising Star
Registered
that dude need some of this:

erheuh.jpg

PLASMA CANNON

BLAST OFF....
BGOL Investor
I DONT KNOW IF HE'S AN UNCLE TOM...I DONT THINK HE' IS THE SAME AS THERBURT BAKER OR Clarence Thomas ...HE JUST MAD HE'S UGLY

WattDogs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My question is:

Why is this dude's lips ALWAYS dry and ashy? Only time I see cats with dry ass lips like that is when they sickly.

Mo Pizorn

Star
Registered
You dick heads really need to reread Uncle Tom's cabin before you start calling other people Uncle Tom.

The expression derived from the plays, not from the book. In the minstrels, he was reduced to a cooning, step-n-fetch-it type character and that's where the expression derives. Calm down, playa. Not everyone is as ignorant as you think.
That being said, I think he and Jesse Lee Peterson fight for the Coon of the year award every year.
Both these NIGs are Uncle Ruckus like a mutha fucka.

magnetic god

Star
Registered
I remember in the early 80's, Crouch beat up a reporter at the village voice over a rap article, or something along those lines. Beat up another jazz columnist who disagreed with him, this man is known within the n.y journalist circles for having a short temper, and is prone to violence. By the way, Uncle Tom was a stand up individual in the book "uncle tom's cabin". It was the Sambo character that serves as the template for the modern day "Sellout".

PLASMA CANNON

BLAST OFF....
BGOL Investor
The expression derived from the plays, not from the book. In the minstrels, he was reduced to a cooning, step-n-fetch-it type character and that's where the expression derives. Calm down, playa. Not everyone is as ignorant as you think.
That being said, I think he and Jesse Lee Peterson fight for the Coon of the year award every year.
Both these NIGs are Uncle Ruckus like a mutha fucka.

yea man I HAVE 2 AGREE WITH THAT Jesse Lee Peterson..THAT DUDE IS A FOOL:smh::smh::angry::lol: