Update: Vice President Kamala Harris is now the Democratic presidential nominee

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member

I was at an event yesterday with a group of about 100 Black upper middle class women, mostly in their 50's-80's. 100% definite voters. They got to discussing how much they hated Chump and were ready to put up signs and cop t-shirts and hoodies for Kamala. They all planned to watch the Convention and agreed that they were locked in, especially since they saw this. Bey is still in the lead. They were hoping that Bey showed up to sing in person

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Question for everyone(MAGA Fuck OFF!)

Could we be in for a massive rug pull concerning the results of this election? Lets assume it’s about as fair of an election as we can get and Trump outright wins by a decent margin?

Could the polls(which have been wrong before), low voter turnout, and the majority prefering Trump for whatever reason be in the stars?

If Harris/Walz lose in “Fair-enough” fashion. What are the things that we can point to as the probably causes?

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor

Could we be in for a massive rug pull concerning the results of this election? Lets assume it’s about as fair of an election as we can get and Trump outright wins by a decent margin?

Could the polls(which have been wrong before), low voter turnout, and the majority prefering Trump for whatever reason be in the stars?

If Harris/Walz lose in “Fair-enough” fashion. What are the things that we can point to as the probably causes?
I said this a few hours ago, but Kamala Harris is doing a great job with her campaign. Also Trump is shooting his self in the foot because he cannot pivot. I am not the biggest fan of Chuck Todd, but he said something very interesting a few days ago….. he said Trump is having a hard time dealing with the new campaign because he wanted to get revenge on Biden and now he cannot. I said long time ago Trump is suffering from dementia and right now it’s beginning to show. This Election should not be close, so damn what the polls say everybody need to get out there and vote like they never voted before on the Democratic side

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member

People will immediately go to the demographic voting results like they always do and begin to point fingers. Not enough black voters (mostly male), not enough white women votes, or Latino, etc….

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I said this a few hours ago, but Kamala Harris is doing a great job with her campaign. Also Trump is shooting his self in the foot because he cannot pivot. I am not the biggest fan of Chuck Todd, but he said something very interesting a few days ago….. he said Trump is having a hard time dealing with the new campaign because he wanted to get revenge on Biden and now he cannot. I said long time ago Trump is suffering from dementia and right now it’s beginning to show. This Election should not be close, so damn what the polls say everybody need to get out there and vote like they never voted before on the Democratic side

Agreed! Based on what it “seems” to look like.

But the truth is no one really knows until someone reaches 270 first.

Call me paranoid like @ThaBurgerPimp did earlier. But I don’t trust any of these voters that are pro-Harris all of a sudden.

Sadly I still believe her being a “woman” is going to cost her votes.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
People will immediately go to the demographic voting results like they always do and begin to point fingers. Not enough black voters (mostly male), not enough white women votes, or Latino, etc….

This line of reading would suggest Trump has enough of those numbers to win!

White males…no doubt!

They love their role model and keeping the status quo…

Everyone else?

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This line of reading would suggest Trump has enough of those numbers to win!

White males…no doubt!

They love their role model and keeping the status quo…

Everyone else?

Trump is not going to get over 74 million votes this time.

I think Kamala will replicate most of what Biden did except for GA and maybe one swing state. I’m not sold on GA going blue again.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I never trust it...I'm from Georgia, however, I have been driving to North Georgia for a year and a half.
I never trust it when Black people say it has changed up there.
I just can't let that domestic terrorism go.

Fans of The Migos are voting as, so unless them your peers and you getting this information first hand, how do we know this for fact?Man, can we please halt the butter biscuits disrespect? It’s troubling how we associate that with coons and sambos. I had a butter biscuit this morning with grape jelly. Yall not going to make me feel ashamed. :lol:
I'm dying. Grape though...? Only out a glass jelly jar in emergencies
Strawberry all day!

:itsawrap:
They really should never have invited Trump to be interviewed. So much could go wrong with Trump. You always have start looking over your shoulders when dealing with Trump and he mentions you by name....

I'm in the very city this is going on and it feels like it is forever away. Kamala did have that crowd to the rafters, though.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is someone in leadership in the NABJ that is not on code. You could see Trump's MO for this at the ask. Somebdy needs to be outed and ousted. On that "fair and balanced" sh!t. Never has been and won't be unless we make it that way.
For all you gangstas out there, why is he still breathing?
On another note, he is tweeting like he was threatened.

Look, the machine is the machine. I promise you though, her policies will be closer to peace than Biden's or any European male.
They keep dusting off the same old playbook.
It used to bother me. Found a kick ass liberation author. She told me that's they factory setting. Save yourself. I've never been so liberated.

Now, how was he chosen again...?

And this my friends is the the beginning and the end of grand opening grand closing.

I called it in real time...when the AKA's had the call and I know I can't be the smartest ninja in the room on this.

If each black sorority and fraternity were smart, they would each become a super pac as a member of a Divine 9 Super pac.

We should consider a hip hop super pac. I learned this after listening just a few weeks ago in @playahatian hip hop thread to KRS-One about classifying hip hop as a culture and not a music genre.
I may be understanding it wrong, however, political awareness may be easier to garner when you can tie it to the the early artists of the movement that were about liberation and community. And the super pacs don't have to be named by color but those who know, will know, can be built by broad interests or professions.

Just a thought, anyway.

And it still ain't enough. Take it, yes, however whatever the number is is never enough.

Really good thread on why Kamala Harris isn't giving the press what they want.

I knew something was different. I noticed she is just campagining, campaigning, campaigning, and here movement is very insular. She is building on the social media playbook of the Barack Obabma campaign. Too many smart people working that campaign over there on the Crip side.

I hope we see a remake/updated remix drop this coming November....

And If they are smart, it will be a collaboration with Mereba or any hindi/indian jamaican rooted female artits if there is one. Hip Hop is global.

T_Holmes

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I’m not sold on GA or FL or TX. Those would be huge gets!

Anyone of those, in my amateur, opinion would be help insure Harris/Walz.
I;m not sure those are going to go blue, but the fact that, by appearances anyway, they are in play (or close enough to it) that the GOP is attempting to spend time and money on them would indicate that they are not doing as well as they think they are.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I;m not sure those are going to go blue, but the fact that, by appearances anyway, they are in play (or close enough to it) that the GOP is attempting to spend time and money on them would indicate that they are not doing as well as they think they are.

Agreed! My only caution is we honestly don’t know what the hell is going on overall. It’s “sounds” like Harris/Walz are doing well considering they just got in the game.

But who really knows?

T_Holmes

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Agreed! My only caution is we honestly don’t know what the hell is going on overall. It’s “sounds” like Harris/Walz are doing well considering they just got in the game.

But who really knows?
Honestly, we really shouldn't know anyway. All the polling does is give media pundits stuff to talk about and create worry in people.

At this point, the people who are motivated to vote shouldn't be relying on poll numbers. They should be voting for the very real reasons they have already been shown and given.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Honestly, we really shouldn't know anyway. All the polling does is give media pundits stuff to talk about and create worry in people.

At this point, the people who are motivated to vote shouldn't be relying on poll numbers. They should be voting for the very real reasons they have already been shown and given.
On which day of her first 100 days will the Kamala Administration sign the law on raising the minimum wage?

On which day will Washington DC be given statehood?

On which day will the George Floyd Act will be signed?

On which day will the Tax cuts be extended?

Do we have to wait until Day 101 before the next campaign starts?

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Anything can happen, but I come from the viewpoint that Orangeman doesn't want to win. It's too many slip ups within his camp, let alone the fact his team did a poor job of vetting his VP candidate or did they? Was it by design to pick a bad candidate?

Too much is as stake if dude wins. Not only is it a bad look on our country, but trust and believe the USA would be a laughing meme to the rest of the world....I remember when I went to Cape Town, South Africa back in 2020 and just talking to the brothers over there, they all were like how the hell did your people let him win? Even the outside world knows he is a clown....

I honestly can not even think right now what more Harris/Walz could do better besides what I mentioned before which is something the entire democratic party needs to do in the future: Tell people about your accomplishments ALL THE TIME!! Don't wait until election time.....Hit people with information overload to the point where they get tired of what the party has done regarding policies and how it directly benefits the everyday people.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
You have said a lot of insane things.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
On which day of her first 100 days will the Kamala Administration sign the law on raising the minimum wage?

On which day will Washington DC be given statehood?

On which day will the George Floyd Act will be signed?

On which day will the Tax cuts be extended?

Do we have to wait until Day 101 before the next campaign starts?

The day congress passes the bills and puts them on her desk.

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
On another note, this is why Republicans are getting a little nervous because I said this a few days ago Trump is beginning to fuck with the down ballot ticket and a bad way. After the Democratic convention, Republicans are going to quickly go into save their own ass mode.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This is why people don’t vote. They gonna give back what we had and continue down the path of neoliberalism? She’s not going to increase the minimum wage and she’s going to do nothing while more Palestinians are killed.

The way Nancy is talking I would be surprised if Jefferies is the speaker of the house. What are his thoughts on DC statehood?

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Election Countdown, 80 Days to Go: Media Failure Reaches a Turning Point.
The tone of American politics may finally be brightening. Maybe the mainstream press will recognize that a time for change has come for it as well.

James Fallows
Aug 17, 2024
∙ Paid

The Australian breakdance competitor known as Raygun received a judges’ score of zero at the Paris Olympics. Sports journalists who covered the controversy over her performance were careful not to equate what she was doing with the feats of other athletes. It’s a useful lesson in avoiding false-equivalence for political reporters when writing about Donald Trump. (Photo Ezra Shaw/Getty Images.)
This post is about a recent convergence of articles, commentaries, broadcasts, and other expressions that together might constitute something like a movement. It is a movement demanding greater reckoning, accountability, or at least awareness from the mainstream press.

The most dramatic and important organic “movement” of the past three weeks is the near-instant coalescence of support around Kamala Harris and then Tim Walz, after Joe Biden’s wise decision to step aside. I’ve been following presidential campaigns for a long time and have never seen anything like the speed or enthusiasm of this change.1

But I’ve been following “what’s wrong with the press?” complaints for a long time too—I wrote a whole book on the subject nearly 30 years ago. What is happening now seems more coherent and urgent than at other times.2 That’s a subjective call, I know. So let me lay out the case for thinking things might be different this time.

Why now?
I think several conditions are focusing attention on the press at this moment. They involve varieties of emperor’s-new-clothes situations: People calling out the gap between what the mainstream press thinks it is doing, and how its choices and impacts look from outside. All lot of these examples are appearing all at once. For instance:

—The hacked documents gap.
Eight years ago, the New York Times, the Washington Post, and other leading news organizations raced to publish embarrassing secrets about the Hillary Clinton campaign, extracted and fed through Wikileaks by Russian-led email hackers. Please remember: The flood of leaked documents began just one hour after release of the damning Access Hollywood video—“Grab ‘em by…”—which at the time, less than a month before the election, seemed to have the potential to force Donald Trump out of the race.

Instead, over the next few weeks, the leaked emails rivaled Access Hollywood for press attention. Eventually they were part of the reason that “but her emails” wound up as the dominant piece of information most voters heard about Clinton during the campaign.3

Now the gap, or contrast: This past weekend Politico reported that it, plus the NYT and the Washington Post, had again received hacked data, this time about the Trump campaign. The hacking was again foreign-directed, apparently from Iran. But this time the news outlets thought it wiser not to publish info aimed at disrupting a campaign. That is: Last time, they quickly headlined the stolen info. This time, they are sitting on it. Regardless of rationale, as a blunt reality the editors’ decision in 2016 enabled (and probably elected) Donald Trump. Their decision in 2024 protects him.

Why the difference? No mainstream editor has stepped forward to explain. Instead, Supreme Court-style, they effectively ask us to trust that they are doing the right thing. Brian Beutler summed up the situation in an excellent Substack post:

If Politico and the Washington Post and the New York Times suddenly have … misgivings about their 2016 conduct… they have a choice to make: They can either hold Trump to the same standard as Clinton, and cover the contents of his campaign’s emails breathlessly. Or, for the first time in nearly a decade, they can be candid with their subscribers regarding their past failures. Otherwise, they will have chosen, de facto, to thumb the scales of our elections for Donald Trump.

—The ‘cognition’ gap.
Especially after Robert Hur’s notorious description of Joe Biden as “an elderly man with a poor memory,” the state of Joe Biden’s cognition became the “but her emails!” of 2024. His gaffe in saying “president of Mexico” rather than “president of Egypt” made the front pages of all the major newspapers. Neurologists were sought out for their views. After Biden’s devastating on-camera freezes during his debate with Trump in June, one New York Times reporter usefully tweeted out the long chronology of Times stories on whether Biden’s age made him unfit to govern.

On July 11—two weeks after the debate, ten days before his decision to drop out—Biden showed sweeping factual mastery through an hour-long evening press conference about foreign policy. But press and broadcast coverage was dominated by two split-second gaffes Biden made that same day: Introducing Ukraine’s President Zelensky as “President Putin” (before catching and correcting himself) and calling Vice President Harris “Vice President Trump” (and not catching that in real time).

Those were bad. But then compare:

Over the past ten days, Donald Trump has had one grievance-and-fantasy- filled public appearance after another, in an ever more desperate attempt to reclaim the spotlight from Harris and Walz. He’s had rallies, and rallies packaged as press conferences. He has rambled with Elon Musk. He has told a conference of Black journalists that Kamala Harris was a phony who recently “happened to turn Black.” He has insulted Medal of Honor recipients and remembered events that never occurred. He has acted as if people might believe that his crowd on January 6 was bigger than Martin Luther King Jr’s for the “I have a dream!” address. He has invented statistics and bounced from topic to topic like a pachinko ball.

Nearly everything he has said in this time has been a fantasy or a lie.

And yet: No major news organization has yet run even one serious story about the state of Trump’s cognition and thus of his fitness for office. We saw dozens of these about Biden; so far, none about Trump. Several have analyzed his “meandering” style—but as a messaging challenge for the campaign, not as a governing threat for the nation.

For years now Trump’s lies—whether about the economy or crowd size—have been buffed up in the major media as “misstatements” or “claims without evidence.” Similarly his disordered, slurring, ever more stumbling presentations are “musings” (in a NYT story today) rather than, as they were for Biden, danger signs.4

As Greg Wilson put it three days ago on Xitter:

The public should demand a press conference by the publishers of the NYTimes, Washington Post, WSJ and make them answer questions as to why they won't print stories analyzing Trump's in-public mental deterioration. This can’t go on.

—The Raygun gap: Or, the brutal sandpaper of normalization.
As noted, almost everything Donald Trump has said in these past ten days has been abnormal by any logical, factual, or historic standard. That’s not the case with Kamala Harris and Tim Walz.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

#ACTUALNEWS: From A Harris-Walz Official:

VP #Harris, Governor Tim #Walz,Doug Emhoff, and Minnesota First Lady Gwen Walz stopped by Aliquippa High School’s football practice.

In attendance at the football practice are Franco Dokmanovich “Dok” Harris, the son of former Steelers Hall of Fame player Franco Harris, as well as Hall of Fame Steelers player Jerome “The Bus” Bettis.

From the press pool (unedited):

Jerome Bettis opened, introducing Doug Emhoff, who introduced Tim Walz.

Walz said he is "privileged to be on this team" and while he's governor now, for years it was football practice he looked forward to.

Walz told them I "remember every single call" during the first state football championship.

He said politics is similar to football. It's about dignity, and everyone is in it together, win or lose.

"Thanks for giving us the privilege to stand on this field," he said, telling the football players they have earned the right to be out here.

Football players, who were in red t-shirts and shorts, all took a knee to listen to the remarks.

Harris was up next. She said she'd been reading about them all and how they work as a team.

"We applaud your ambition. You want to compete. And you want to win."

"You all are the future of our country," she said.

She said they were all born leaders, who have already chosen that path for themselves.

"It's not easy being a role model. Welcome to the role model club."

She said that's not an easy role to fulfill, referring to herself.

Harris said that she is counting on their leadership as she closed her remarks.

As press was led away Walz got into a very specific discussion with the team about their offense, asking where their linebackers were.

Last edited:

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Black men emerge as key constituency in 2024 race, bringing dynamic views to the top of politics​

1 of 8 |
Panelists and attendees raise their fists during a Black Man Lab meeting to discuss the candidacy of Vice President Kamala Harris, Monday, July 22, 2024, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
Read More

2 of 8 |
Panelists and attendees raise their fists during a Black Man Lab meeting to discuss the candidacy of Vice President Kamala Harris, Monday, July 22, 2024, in Atlanta. The Black Man Lab hosts weekly gatherings with the purpose of providing an intergenerational safe space for Black men and boys. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
Read More

3 of 8 |
Mawuli Davis, an attorney and human rights organizer, facilitates a panel discussion on the candidacy of Vice President Kamala Harris during a Black Men Lab meeting, Monday, July 22, 2024, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
Read More

4 of 8 |
Cliff Albright of the Black Voters Matter Fund, a nonprofit voting rights organization, speaks during a panel discussion on the candidacy of Vice President Kamala Harris during a Black Men Lab meeting, Monday, July 22, 2024, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
Read More
5 of 8 |
Attendees gather and pray during a Black Man Lab meeting to discuss the candidacy of Vice President Kamala Harris, Monday, July 22, 2024, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
Read More
6 of 8 |
Attendees gather and pray during a Black Man Lab meeting to discuss the candidacy of Vice President Kamala Harris, Monday, July 22, 2024, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
Read More
7 of 8 |
Panelists answer questions during a panel discussion on the candidacy of Vice President Kamala Harris during a Black Men Lab meeting, Monday, July 22, 2024, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
Read More
8 of 8 |
Attendees pose for photos after a Black Man Lab meeting to discuss the candidacy of Vice President Kamala Harris, Monday, July 22, 2024, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
Read More

By MATT BROWN
Updated 10:34 AM EDT, August 18, 2024
ATLANTA (AP) — Every Monday evening, the Andrew and Walter Young Family YMCA basement becomes a sanctuary for men who, local leaders say, have too often been denied one.
The Black Man Lab, which for nearly a decade has sought weekly to create a “safe, sacred and healing space” for Black men in metropolitan Atlanta, regularly gathers more than 100 men to pray, meditate and talk through challenges and triumphs they are facing and learn from peers and elders.
“It’s almost a communion,” said Carttrell Coleman, a visual artist from South Fulton, Georgia, who has attended the weekly meetings for seven years. “It’s an opportunity for us to share our voices and get resources. The networking is always a good thing. It’s a fellowship, of sorts.”
One recent meeting in the immediate aftermath of President Joe Biden’s suspension of his reelection campaign took on special weight as attendees considered the prospect of a Black woman winning the presidency. The candidacy of Vice President Kamala Harris has refocused attention on Black men, a demographic that Democrats and Republicans view as persuadable but whose multifaceted experiences and political preferences often go unaddressed in public debate.
Advertisement

Harris’ campaign has also reignited discussions amongst Black men about their influence in this election.

Thousands of activists expected in Chicago for Democratic convention to call for Gaza ceasefire
“Black men are the target, and we hold the keys to the kingdom. This is our moment,” said Lance Robertson, executive director of the Black City Councilmen of Georgia, during the meeting. “The Black man has built America. Now it’s time for the Black man to save America.”

Black male voters are traditionally one of the most consistently Democratic leaning demographics in the nation. This year, however, both major parties view Black men, especially those under the age of 40, as attainable voters. Whether Black men turn out in high numbers and to what degree they maintain traditional support for Democratic candidates may prove decisive in November.

Advertisement

“To be frank, I think early on in this process a lot of Black men viewed this election with much skepticism and dread,” said Bishop Reginald Jackson, who presides over all 534 African Methodist Episcopal churches in Georgia. “But since the change in the Democratic ticket, there has been a turnaround. I think they feel they have something that they can support. I think a lot of issues which made a lot of them skeptical are being addressed.”
At the Black Man Lab event, the men present came from all walks of life. Attendees’ ages ranged from 8 to 86, with multiple pairings of fathers, grandfathers and grandsons telling the group about the unique circumstances each generation faces as Black men in America.
Black voters have historically prioritized policies on civil rights and economic mobility, leading to overwhelming support for Democrats.
But how those concerns translate into political preferences has shifted as traditional ties to institutions like the Black church have frayed for some younger Black Americans. “The Black church, in a lot of respects, has been a turnoff for the Black man, and we’re only now working to address the need and correct it,” Jackson said.

Mawuli Davis, an attorney and human rights organizer, facilitates a panel discussion on the candidacy of Vice President Kamala Harris during a Black Men Lab meeting, Monday, July 22, 2024, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
Advertisement

For many younger Black men, advocates stressed, issues like wealth creation, entrepreneurship, police reform and anti-discrimination policies in the workplace are top of mind.
What to know about the 2024 Election
“We want to see jobs and opportunity for Black men, especially,” said Andre Greenwood, chair of the YMCA that hosts the Black Man Lab event. Greenwood, who supports Harris, said economic messages will be most important to Black male voters.
Harris’ entrance into the presidential race has unleashed a flurry of organizing among her Black male allies. A day after Biden dropped out of the race and endorsed Harris, a virtual conference tailored for Black men garnered more than 53,000 attendees and raised more than $1.3 million. The event, organized by Win With Black Men, a collective of Black male-led groups, has hosted regular meetings every week since then to engage organizers targeting Black men.
Advertisement

“Up until this point, these folks were not really engaged with this campaign season, let alone volunteering for outside organizations. I think what we’re seeing now is a massive level of organic energy that you can’t deny,” said Quentin James, founder of the Collective PAC, a Democratic political action committee that supports Black candidates.

Win With Black Men said it would direct the raised funds to organizations nationwide for Black male engagement. More than 150 groups have applied for support. James stressed that while the recent fundraising windfall is notable, the Harris campaign’s own engagement effort with Black men may not be enough unless it is paired with robustly funded outside groups that have longstanding trust in local communities.
Harris has also revamped her outreach to Black men. The campaign believes it has a winning message for Black men’s priorities.
Advertisement

“It’s wealth and it’s health,” Democratic strategist Antjuan Seawright said of the message.
Seawright leads the Democratic National Committee’s “Chop It Up” town halls for Black men at barbershops and other venues in battleground states this year. He noted that Black men “aren’t monolithic” and added that it is a mistake for campaigns to assume “we only care about criminal justice reform.”
The culminating effort also aims to address longstanding skepticism among many Black men about the political system, which is seen as discriminatory and unresponsive to their interests. Others have tackled potential hesitancy among men about electing a woman to the nation’s highest office.
Republicans, too, see an opportunity to make inroads with Black men precisely because of those longstanding frustrations. Donald Trump often speaks of his interest in garnering greater Black voter support. Black Republicans, including Reps. Byron Donalds of Florida and Wesley Hunt of Texas, have hosted a “Congress, Cognac, and Cigars” event series in cities including Atlanta, Philadelphia and Milwaukee.
“Black men have been taken for granted by the Democratic Party for years, but President Trump’s message is resonating at historic levels because he is doing the work,” said Janiyah Thomas, Black media director for the Trump campaign.

Panelists answer questions during a panel discussion on the candidacy of Vice President Kamala Harris during a Black Men Lab meeting, Monday, July 22, 2024, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
Marcus Robinson, a senior spokesperson for the Democratic National Committee, called Republican outreach strategy “hot air, racially charged rhetoric and offensive stereotypes, from questioning Vice President Harris’s identity to claiming Black voters should relate to Trump because he is a convicted felon.”
For many attendees at the Black Man Lab event, the reinvigorated presidential race is an opportunity to make sure their interests are addressed at the highest levels of government.
“I was in the street doing wild stuff and this saved my life,” said Damon Bod, an exterior house technician from Atlanta, of his experience with the Black Man Lab event. Bod said he lost his entire immediate family to violence and that the event provided him counsel and a community.
He said he would support Harris in the election because the men who supported him felt she would advance Black men’s interests.
“I’ve been looking at it and hopefully she’ll do a bit of good. My brothers have said she will, people who know me. But only God knows,” Bod said.

____​

The Associated Press receives support from several private foundations to enhance its explanatory coverage of elections and democracy. See more about AP’s democracy initiative here. The AP is solely responsible for all content.