Which is better: chicken eggs or duck eggs?

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

Nutritional Differences

The nutritional differences between duck eggs and chicken eggs are significant in terms of size, nutrient content, and overall richness. Here’s a breakdown of their key nutritional differences based on a large duck egg (about 70 grams) versus a large chicken egg (about 50 grams):

1. Calories

• Duck Egg: ~130-185 calories
  • Chicken Egg: ~70-80 calories
  • Difference: Duck eggs have nearly double the calories due to their larger size and higher fat content.

2. Protein

• Duck Egg: ~9 grams
  • Chicken Egg: ~6-7 grams
  • Difference: Duck eggs contain more protein, which is why they are often considered more nutritious for building and repairing tissues.

3. Fat

• Duck Egg: ~10-14 grams of fat
  • Chicken Egg: ~5 grams of fat
  • Difference: Duck eggs are significantly higher in fat, particularly healthy unsaturated fats. This is also why they’re richer and creamier in taste.

4. Cholesterol

• Duck Egg: ~600-700 mg of cholesterol
  • Chicken Egg: ~185 mg of cholesterol
  • Difference: Duck eggs contain a much higher cholesterol level. However, research suggests that dietary cholesterol doesn’t affect blood cholesterol as much as once believed, especially in healthy individuals.

5. Vitamins

• Duck Eggsare richer in certain vitamins, including:
    • Vitamin B12: Higher in duck eggs, important for nerve function and red blood cell production.
    • Vitamin A: Duck eggs have more Vitamin A, which is important for vision, immunity, and skin health.
    • Vitamin D: Both eggs are good sources, but duck eggs generally have a higher content, supporting bone health and immune function.
    • Vitamin E: Duck eggs contain more Vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps protect cells.

6. Minerals

• Iron: Duck eggs have higher iron content, which supports red blood cell production and oxygen transport.
  • Selenium: Both eggs are good sources, but duck eggs have slightly more selenium, which is important for immune function and thyroid health.
  • Zinc: Duck eggs also contain more zinc, which is vital for immune function, wound healing, and cell division.

7. Omega-3 Fatty Acids

• Duck Egg: Duck eggs contain higher amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, which support heart and brain health.
  • Chicken Egg: While chicken eggs also have omega-3s, duck eggs tend to have more of these beneficial fats, especially if the ducks are pasture-raised.

8. Folate

• Duck Egg: Higher levels of folate, which is important for DNA synthesis and cell division.
  • Chicken Egg: Contains folate, but in lower amounts compared to duck eggs.

9. Antioxidants

• Duck eggs tend to have more antioxidants such as lutein and zeaxanthin, which are good for eye health, helping protect against macular degeneration and cataracts.

10. Allergenicity

• Some people who are allergic to chicken eggs may tolerate duck eggs, as the protein structures differ slightly. However, if you're allergic to duck eggs, chicken eggs might be safer.

Summary Table (per large egg):​

NutrientDuck EggChicken Egg
Calories130-185 kcal70-80 kcal
Protein9 grams6-7 grams
Fat10-14 grams5 grams
Cholesterol600-700 mg185 mg
Vitamin B12HigherModerate
Vitamin AHigherModerate
Omega-3sHigherLower
IronHigherModerate

Overall Nutritional Takeaway:​

• Duck eggs are richer in calories, fat, protein, vitamins, and minerals, making them a more nutrient-dense food. They are especially valued in specific diets (e.g., keto or high-protein diets) and for people looking for more robust nutrition.
  • Chicken eggs, while lower in calories and fat, are still a good source of protein and nutrients, and they remain the more common, versatile choice for everyday cooking.

Breakdown By Gram

To provide a fair comparison between duck eggs and chicken eggs while compensating for the size difference, we’ll break down the nutritional content per 100 grams of each egg. This will standardize the comparison and allow us to see the differences based on equal weight.

Here’s a breakdown based on available data:

Nutritional Comparison (per 100 grams)​

NutrientDuck Egg (per 100g)Chicken Egg (per 100g)
Calories~185 kcal~143 kcal
Protein~13 grams~12.5 grams
Total Fat~14.5 grams~10 grams
Cholesterol~620 mg~370 mg
Carbohydrates~1.5 grams~1.1 grams
Vitamin B12~6.5 µg (108% DV)~1.3 µg (22% DV)
Vitamin A~770 IU (15% DV)~540 IU (11% DV)
Vitamin D~3.9 µg (19% DV)~2.2 µg (11% DV)
Iron~3.9 mg (22% DV)~1.75 mg (10% DV)
Selenium~42 µg (76% DV)~31 µg (56% DV)
Omega-3~0.35 grams~0.05 grams
Folate~80 µg (20% DV)~47 µg (12% DV)

Key Differences (per 100g):​

1. Calories: Duck eggs have more calories (~185 vs. ~143) due to higher fat content.
  2. Protein: Duck eggs and chicken eggs are similar in protein (~13g vs. ~12.5g), but duck eggs have a slight edge.
  3. Fat: Duck eggs are higher in fat (~14.5g vs. ~10g), particularly in healthy fats and omega-3 fatty acids.
  4. Cholesterol: Duck eggs have significantly more cholesterol (~620 mg vs. ~370 mg).
  5. Vitamins:
    • Vitamin B12: Duck eggs provide much more (~6.5 µg vs. ~1.3 µg).
    • Vitamin A and D: Duck eggs contain higher levels of these fat-soluble vitamins.
  6. Iron: Duck eggs contain more iron, which is beneficial for red blood cell production (~3.9 mg vs. ~1.75 mg).
  7. Selenium: Both are good sources of selenium, but duck eggs have more (~42 µg vs. ~31 µg).
  8. Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Duck eggs have significantly more omega-3s, which are important for heart and brain health.

Summary:​

On a gram-for-gram basis, duck eggs are richer in nutrients, especially fats, cholesterol, and certain vitamins (B12, A, and D), making them more nutrient-dense. Chicken eggs, while slightly lower in most nutrients, still offer a very balanced profile and are lower in cholesterol and calories, making them a lighter option.

Taste Difference

The taste difference between duck eggs and chicken eggs is often described in the following ways:

1. Richness: Duck eggs tend to have a richer, more intense flavor compared to chicken eggs. This is largely due to their higher fat content, particularly in the yolk.
  2. Creaminess: Duck eggs are generally creamier, which some people enjoy in baked goods or scrambled eggs.
  3. Gamey flavor: Some people say duck eggs have a slightly more "gamey" or robust flavor, while others describe it as more earthy or complex.
  4. Texture: The texture of duck eggs can feel denser or firmer, especially because of the thicker whites and larger yolks.
In terms of consensus, the richness of duck eggs compared to chicken eggs is widely agreed upon, but whether people prefer them often comes down to individual taste. Some people love the richness, while others may find it too strong or different from what they're used to.

Recipes Where Duck Eggs Are Better Than Chicken Eggs

Yes, there are specific recipes and types of dishes where duck eggs are either preferred or recommended due to their unique qualities, particularly their richness and larger size. Some recipes explicitly call for duck eggs to take advantage of their creaminess, texture, and flavor. Here are a few examples:

1. Pastries and Baked Goods

• Cakes and Sponge Cakes: Duck eggs are often used in recipes for sponge cakes or pound cakes because their higher protein content creates a fluffier, more voluminous texture. Duck eggs make cakes richer and more tender.
    • Example: A traditional Victoria Sponge Cake recipe can call for duck eggs for extra rise and a richer crumb.
  • Custards and Pastries: Rich custards, cream puffs, and other desserts like choux pastry or crème brûlée benefit from the creaminess of duck eggs.
    • Example: Recipes for egg tarts or flans often suggest using duck eggs for a more velvety texture.

2. Quiches and Frittatas

• Duck eggs are excellent for quiches and frittatas because of their large, rich yolks. The yolk-to-white ratio in duck eggs creates a creamier, more luxurious texture in egg-based dishes like these.
    • Example: A spinach and cheese quiche recipe might recommend duck eggs for a more indulgent and richer filling.

3. Custards and Puddings

• Custards, bread puddings, or even rice puddings can benefit from the added richness of duck eggs. The creamier yolk helps set these dishes with a smoother texture.
    • Example: Egg custard tart recipes, popular in Chinese or Portuguese cuisines, often mention duck eggs for a richer custard base.

4. Mayonnaise and Aioli

• Homemade mayonnaise or aioli made with duck eggs is creamier and has a deeper flavor due to the richer yolks. Duck eggs can result in a thicker and silkier emulsion.
    • Example: Duck egg mayonnaise recipes are popular in gourmet cooking circles, emphasizing the extra richness they bring.

5. Asian Recipes

• Salted Duck Eggs: A traditional Asian delicacy, these are made by curing duck eggs in brine for weeks until they develop a savory, salty flavor. They are often used in Chinese congee or as an ingredient in mooncakes.
    • Example: Chinese Salted Duck Egg Congee uses the distinct flavor of duck eggs for added depth.
  • Balut: In Filipino cuisine, balut, a fertilized duck egg, is a popular street food, though it is a specialty dish rather than a recipe substitution.

6. Savory Dishes

• Dishes like carbonara, egg noodles, or even a simple poached egg over toast can be elevated by using duck eggs. Their richer flavor works well in any dish where eggs are the star ingredient.
    • Example: Duck egg carbonara might be preferred for its creaminess and fuller texture.

7. Meringues and Soufflés

• While duck eggs are richer, their whites can also make sturdy meringues with a slightly firmer texture. This can result in higher peaks and more stability for meringues and soufflés.
    • Example: Recipes for pavlova or French soufflés sometimes mention using duck eggs for added stability.

8. Béarnaise and Hollandaise Sauces

• The richness of duck egg yolks can elevate classic sauces like béarnaise or hollandaise, adding depth of flavor and a silkier texture.
    • Example: A duck egg hollandaise sauce recipe might be recommended to pair with asparagus or poached fish.
Duck eggs can generally be substituted for chicken eggs in recipes, but in some cases, the richer taste and creamier texture of duck eggs are specifically desired to enhance a dish. If substituting duck eggs for chicken eggs in a recipe, you may need to adjust for the size difference (one duck egg is roughly equivalent to 1.5–2 chicken eggs).

Halloween Question: Which Is Superior For Egging A Neighbor's House?

When it comes to egging (though, I must emphasize that vandalism isn't a great way to celebrate Halloween), chicken eggs are generally considered more "suitable" than duck eggs for such pranks, for a few reasons:

1. Cost: Chicken eggs are much cheaper and more widely available, making them the go-to choice for pranks. Duck eggs tend to be more expensive due to their relative rarity and nutritional value, so using them would be a waste of a pricier product.
  2. Size and Weight: Duck eggs are larger and heavier than chicken eggs. This might seem like an advantage for impact, but their thicker shells can make them less likely to break easily on impact, which is what you’d want for maximum mess in this scenario.
  3. Accessibility: Chicken eggs are easier to buy in bulk from grocery stores, while duck eggs often require specialty shopping or trips to farmer’s markets.
From a purely practical standpoint (and again, not condoning the activity), chicken eggs would be the "superior" choice for this purpose due to their availability, cost, and ease of breaking.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Today I learned about duck eggs, thanks.

I started eating them a couple of months ago. It took some time to really decide on a preference but I like chicken eggs more and the contrast gives me a new appreciation for chicken eggs. Plus they're cheaper, so it is not even close IMO.

Still, I eat a lot of eggs, so I can see myself grabbing some duck eggs every 3-4 months or so just to switch things up.

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Chicken eggs for the win. Ducks eggs are bigger so the nutritional content is more by default. Even per 100mg as shown in the chart is similar for the most important factor to me, protein. And worse in the other factor important to me, calories. The other non-nutritional factors that make chicken eggs the better option and tips the scale heavily(of course the article left these out) are, cost and availability. I’ve only had duck eggs once from a farmers market that just happen to have them and I forget the price but I remember them being about like $12 for six. Finally, I didn’t like the taste either.

PS, I also don’t know what type of chicken eggs this article was comparing ducks eggs against. Even chicken eggs vary nutritionally. I only fuck with pasture raised eggs which closes that nutritional gap even more while still being cheaper. Anyway, unless you’re rich it ain’t that damn serious. :cool:

Last edited:

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
The other non-nutritional factors that make eggs the better option and tips the scale heavily(of course the article left these out) are, cost and availability.

Cost: Chicken eggs are much cheaper and more widely available... Duck eggs tend to be more expensive due to their relative rarity and nutritional value
Accessibility: Chicken eggs are easier to buy in bulk from grocery stores, while duck eggs often require specialty shopping or trips to farmer’s markets.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
I’ve only had duck eggs once from a farmers market that just happen to have them and I forget the price but I remember them being about like $12 for six.

In DC, I've been getting them from Safeway for $5.50-$7 for six.

PS, I also don’t know what type of chicken eggs this article was comparing ducks eggs against. Even chicken eggs vary nutritionally. I only fuck with pasture raised eggs which closes that nutritional gap even more while still being cheaper. Anyway, unless you’re rich it ain’t that damn serious. :cool:

The thing is I eat a lot of eggs so it's not that serious but pasture raised eggs "closes that nutritional gap even more while still being cheaper" is really helpful to know! If you're not rich, it's more serious!!!

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In DC, I've been getting them from Safeway for $5.50-$7 for six.

The thing is I eat a lot of eggs so it's not that serious but pasture raised eggs "closes that nutritional gap even more while still being cheaper" is really helpful to know!
I didn’t read the last part, but yeah, pasture raised eggs are the only way to go for me now since basically I eat them every day. I generally fuck with Vital Farms eggs ,but here in Texas HEB has been carrying pasture raised eggs for cheaper. I think I prefer Vital Farms though. About $6 a dozen at Walmart.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
I didn’t read the last part, but yeah, pasture raised eggs are the only way to go for me now since basically I eat them every day. I generally fuck with Vital Farms eggs ,but here in Texas HEB has been carrying pasture raised eggs for cheaper. I think I prefer Vital Farms though. About $6 a dozen at Walmart.

Has that been the price for a while? About a month ago I got a pack of 18 eggs for like $3something in at Walmart in DC, no more than $4, and I was flabbergasted a week ago to see the price had gone up to over $6.

Then I googled and found out egg prices had recently gone up because of bird flu... Which makes it a good time to fuck around with duck eggs, if you're going to be paying more anyway.

Last edited:

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Has that been the price for a while? I month ago I got a pack of 18 eggs for like $3something in at Walmart in DC, no more than $4, and I was flabbergasted a week ago to see the price had gone up to over $6.

Then I googled and found out egg prices had recently gone up because of bird flu... Which makes it a good time to fuck around with duck eggs, if you're going to be paying more anyway.
That’s just your standard grade A egg price. Admittedly, much more cheaper than pasture raised eggs, but worth the nutritional boost IMO. Pastured raised prices have been pretty consistent even through pandemic inflation. I honestly didn’t even notice a difference when groceries really got hit with inflation. They’ve always been between $5-7 dollars a dozen.