WTF?!?! Bill Simmons & ESPN to Part Ways, signs deal w/ HBO Any Given Wednesday, The Ringer blog

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Bill Simmons and ESPN to Part Ways

Bill Simmons, who built a personal empire at ESPN and is one of America’s most influential sports personalities, will leave the media giant when his contract expires in the fall. He and the company were unable to reach an extension after months of talks.

“I’ve decided that I’m not going to renew his contract,” said John Skipper, the president of ESPN. “We’ve been talking to Bill and his agent and it was clear we weren’t going to get to the terms, so we were better off focusing on transition.”​

Skipper said that the differences between the company and Simmons were “about more than money,” although he would not offer details. He added: “We’ve had an excellent run with Bill, almost 15 years. It’s been good for us and good for him. It was a decision I had to make and he had to make to move forward.”

Grantland, the sports and entertainment site run by Simmons for ESPN, will be unaffected by his departure, Skipper said.

“It long ago went from being a Bill Simmons site to one that can stand on its own,” Skipper said.

Simmons’s contract expires at the end of September. He has not yet responded to requests for comment.

The outspoken Simmons built himself into a major brand at ESPN, branching out from his base as a freewheeling columnist to host a popular weekly podcast, the B.S. Report; to create Grantland; and to play a role in the launch and success of the “30 for 30” documentary film series.

But his future at ESPN became a cause célèbre last year when the company suspended him for three weeks for calling N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell a “liar” during a podcast and effectively dared his bosses to fire him.

Simmons became a free-speech martyr during his absence, with the likes of Lena Dunham and Judd Apatow supporting him. Those who spoke out on his behalf on Twitter used the hashtag #FreeSimmons.”

Skipper said that the incident had no bearing on his decision to end ESPN’s relationship with Simmons.

Now the intrigue will begin about his next step. Simmons could join another traditional media company, like Fox, or a digital media outlet like Yahoo. Or he could use his high profile to start his own multimedia platform with investment from private equity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/sports/bill-simmons-and-espn-are-parting-ways.html

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
the fact that Skipper and Simmons are realy close makes this a surprise, especially the tone on the statement.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
he spearheaded their podcasts, Grantland AND 30 for 30 probably the three biggest most successful and critically acclaimed entities under the ESPN umbrella.

this is a big mistake on ESPN part.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
wow...bgol predicted this awhile back
:cool:

Interesting that it looks like he wont be taking Grantland with him. Thats unfortunate. He did alot of great work at ESPN. I appreciate his refusal to tuck tail and play ball like they wanted him to do.

I initially thought he would leave with Grantland and be able to write his own ticket elsewhere but it looks as if he will be starting from scratch and have to build on his name and create a new entity.

With the right backers, staff and platform, he can build a powerhouse in the business, and be free to delivery the content he wants without having to worry about the espn leash around his neck.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
He is the only person of interest that resonates on ESPN anymore.

I don't like dude, but grant land is the shit. Media is moving online and it seems odd to separate that from the parent

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Interesting that it looks like he wont be taking Grantland with him. Thats unfortunate. He did alot of great work at ESPN. I appreciate his refusal to tuck tail and play ball like they wanted him to do.

I initially thought he would leave with Grantland and be able to write his own ticket elsewhere but it looks as if he will be starting from scratch and have to build on his name and create a new entity.

With the right backers, staff and platform, he can build a powerhouse in the business, and be free to delivery the content he wants without having to worry about the espn leash around his neck.

completely agree

ESPN will regret this cause if they think the undefeated is gonna be the NEW grantland?

shaddyvillethug

Cac Free Zone
BGOL Investor

This faggit will be a paper boy

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
Bill Simmons and his bullshit pop culture references haven't been relevant since 2005. You saw the bitch in him when he was whining to Sage Steele about getting a chance to talk on their basketball show.

Bill Simmons has sucked for a long time.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
“I decided today that we are not going to renew Bill Simmons’ contract. We have been in negotiations and it was clear it was time to move on. ESPN’s relationship with Bill has been mutually beneficial - he has produced great content for us for many years and ESPN has provided him many new opportunities to spread his wings. We wish Bill continued success as he plans his next chapter. ESPN remains committed to Grantland and we have a strong team in place.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/08/bill-simmons-espn-leaving_n_7241966.html

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This faggit will be a paper boy
Yep. He gonna make a lot of paper. :yes:

Bill Simmons and his bullshit pop culture references haven't been relevant since 2005. You saw the bitch in him when he was whining to Sage Steele about getting a chance to talk on their basketball show.

Grantland and 30 for 30 are the best things associated with espn. You're buggin.

Phermone3

Rising Star
Registered
FIRED.
thee term is fired.

No way. Bill just asked for the 6 million a year (which I think he deserves because he's gonna get it somewhere) and Skipper wasn't budging. Simmons is a troll, a bias Boston fan and a douche bag but he's the most talented person at the network maybe ever.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
No way. Bill just asked for the 6 million a year (which I think he deserves because he's gonna get it somewhere) and Skipper wasn't budging. Simmons is a troll, a bias Boston fan and a douche bag but he's the most talented person at the network maybe ever.

Yes way.

If your job doesn't want to give you a raise and then lets you go what is that? lol

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor

Basically

Nobody

Rising Star
Registered
Ralph Wiley. His time was just too early.

But I see your point.

MonkeyBizness

Man of the People
Registered
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Lack of testicular fortitude,&quot; (On Godell) via <a href="https://twitter.com/dpshow">@dpshow</a> -- This was tipping point for <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons">@BillSimmons</a> future with <a href="https://twitter.com/espn">@espn</a></p>&mdash; James Andrew Miller (@JimMiller) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimMiller/status/596719922530492416">May 8, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">There were no significant negotiations going on between <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons">@BillSimmons</a> &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/espn">@espn</a>; no $ requests from his side on table at all. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Simmons?src=hash">#Simmons</a></p>&mdash; James Andrew Miller (@JimMiller) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimMiller/status/596748803224436736">May 8, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">When <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons">@BillSimmons</a> was suspended in Sept,no $ deducted from his paycheck but on 12/19 (right b4 Xmas) 2weeks pay was gone. It was over then.</p>&mdash; James Andrew Miller (@JimMiller) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimMiller/status/596749661802606592">May 8, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sherminator

They hate to see us wiiiiinnnniiinnng
Registered
It seemed a long time coming, I doubt it was truly a money thing, he has multiple streams, if it was it was probably partial, it was probably a conduct clause, with espn trying to limit his subjects

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
Y'all read that deadspin article I posted. ESPN said fuck that guy and made sure to affect any future money he has coming.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

thundercat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The writing has been on the wall for almost a year...and I doubt it had anything to do with Bill asking for more money or control. ESPN wants "yes" men like Stephen A and Bill just isn't going to kowtow to them. They're about pushing feminist agenda, shitting on urban culture, and being the TMZ of sports. I can't see why some of you still watch that shit. If it isn't Pardon the Interruption or SVP and Russillo(occasionally) I won't watch. I tune in for games and that's it. All those right wing pseudo intellectual talk shows....nope...you can have all that shit...all of it.

MonkeyBizness

Man of the People
Registered
The obvious is where is he going next and who will run Grantland.

Running Grantland is whatever. They don't need a personality to run the site. It's just a team of writers that keeps pushing the same type of content they've been doing since day 1.

Where Simmons goes is more interesting. He could go to Fox, but Fox Sports One and Fox in general when it comes to sports is a non-factor. If they feel he can elevate them, they would have to give him boatloads of dough.

You have Yahoo. He could go to Vice. They got a ton of dough and are launching a TV network. The only issues are 1.) Vice does not pay talent at all and 2.) Vice is in BK. Would they let him stay in LA.

He could do a Ezra Klein and get funded. That is the smartest route and most challenging. He'd have to poach a whole new staff.

His contract expiration means that he is not bound by a non-compete. He can get back on the horse come September.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Fox is going to throw a lot of money at him

Dude is annoying, but he provides a interesting voice

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Y'all read that deadspin article I posted. ESPN said fuck that guy and made sure to affect any future money he has coming.
Dude got into a pissing contest with King Kong. :smh:

And honestly, at 3million per espn had him at a fucking steal!

Since this was a very likely outcome, he should have gotten ahead of it and publicly told them to kiss his ass first. Laying low and staying silent allowed them to paint the narrative. This is bad optics for a loud mouth like Bill and also limits his negotiating leverage with 3rd party suitors.

Last edited:

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
He overplayed his card.

I don't think he cared

I hope it doesn't affect the Jalen and Jacoby podcast

Not unless they go with him. Both have some loyalty associated with him.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

:confused:

I think you need to separate his writing, and his personality and his ideas

Simmons helped bring them to the 21st Century

Grantland and 30 for 30 are the best things associated with espn. You're buggin.

:yes:

Did ESPN win a Emmy for anything else?