You need to make atleast 30 a hour to afford a 2 bedroom house in Charlotte

Database Error

You're right dawg
OG Investor
Screenshot-20240713-143349-Firefox.jpg

charlitt_nc

According to a new report from the National Low Income Housing Coalition, North Carolinians earning minimum wage must work 120 hours a week to afford a modest, one-bedroom home at fair market value.
The Coalition’s “Out of Reach” report measures housing affordability nationwide. Last year’s report said minimum wage workers in the state had to work 102 hours a week. The report also found that North Carolina has a “housing wage” of $25.21, which is how much you’d have to make an hour in the state to afford a modest, two-bedroom home. North Carolina ranked 28th most expensive in the nation for two-bedroom housing wages.
The most expensive areas, in order, were Asheville, Raleigh, Chapel Hill-Durham, Charlotte and Wilmington. The housing wage in Charlotte is $29.88, meaning you’d need 4.1 minimum wage jobs to afford a two-bedroom rental in the Queen City. That’s a bit higher than the state average of 3.5.​

Mr.Chuckles

Chuckle
BGOL Investor
This type of scenario is playing out all over the country under this administration but everyone has their biden shades on!

Adroit

Rising Star
Registered
Which is only 62k a year. That's middle-class( though it might be upper middle-class for NC). Why do these articles always base shit off of what a minimum wage worker can afford? They're not supposed to be living as well as the average person. If you make minimum wage, get the skills required to get a better paying job.

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Which is only 62k a year. That's middle-class( though it might be upper middle-class for NC). Why do these articles always base shit off of what a minimum wage worker can afford? They're not supposed to be living as well as the average person. If you make minimum wage, get the skills required to get a better paying job.
Most black people in the south dont make anywhere near 62k though.

Duece

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This type of scenario is playing out all over the country under this administration but everyone has their biden shades on!

But are the Trump-branded Virtual Boy headsets gonna make it any better?

Or are we just gonna let the religious right bombard us about abortion while people get poorer?

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The years coming things will look a lot different,what you used to be able to do with your money you wont be able to do .
We already there. Remember when 100k meant you could live like a big shot? 1 million was enough to set you up for life?

Hell, I remember you being able to get a drink out the vending machine for a dollar. Skittles or a bag of chips for less than that. The world has completely gone off rails in terms of inflation, and the average american is the true loser. Taking a family to disney world costs Thousands now.

People can complain about Biden's dementia being the reason he cant beat Trump, but the true reality is folk's pockets are hurting and when it gets bad, people vote out whoever is in charge. Always been that way. Tech was, 12 years ago when I finished college, one way an American could enter the middle class. Im having to reject kids coming out today because engineering isnt hiring in this country. We dont even H1B people in for cheaper labor now. Just outsource it to Latin America, or India. If you cant enter the middle class with tech no then thats just another door closed on folks.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
We already there. Remember when 100k meant you could live like a big shot? 1 million was enough to set you up for life?

Hell, I remember you being able to get a drink out the vending machine for a dollar. Skittles or a bag of chips for less than that. The world has completely gone off rails in terms of inflation, and the average american is the true loser. Taking a family to disney world costs Thousands now.

People can complain about Biden's dementia being the reason he cant beat Trump, but the true reality is folk's pockets are hurting and when it gets bad, people vote out whoever is in charge. Always been that way. Tech was, 12 years ago when I finished college, one way an American could enter the middle class. Im having to reject kids coming out today because engineering isnt hiring in this country. We dont even H1B people in for cheaper labor now. Just outsource it to Latin America, or India. If you cant enter the middle class with tech no then thats just another door closed on folks.
You can still live a decent life with $100k. Now if you want stunt on the haters, you’re going to run into some reality.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In Durham, Chapel Hill, Fayetteville, Greensboro, and Wilmington, half of renting households spend more than 30 percent of their income on rent; 1 in 4 households spends more than half of their income on rent. Rather than help solve this housing affordability crisis, Trump has proposed slashing federal funding for housing assistance to pay for more tax breaks.

Their motto is fuck the poor and disable.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Man i remember being in college with goals of 100k…. :smh: Unless you’re childless and live in Idaho that ain’t shit anymore
It never was. And it was never really meant to be for everyone. It makes me wonder how folks that look like me buy into the idea of white picket fences.

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It never was. And it was never really meant to be for everyone. It makes me wonder how folks that look like me buy into the idea of white picket fences.
Because it WAS attainable. My folks bought the house I grew up in ~late 90's for 101,000. Cobb county, 15 minutes from downtown Atlanta in a solid middle class neighborhood. That was a little over 2x their household income.I make 3x as much as their household income at that time by myself but to get comparable I have to pay a hell of a lot more than 2x my income, or settle for schools that are substandard for any potential kids I have. The white picket fence could happen in the not so distant past.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Because it WAS attainable. My folks bought the house I grew up in ~late 90's for 101,000. Cobb county, 15 minutes from downtown Atlanta in a solid middle class neighborhood. That was a little over 2x their household income.I make 3x as much as their household income at that time by myself but to get comparable I have to pay a hell of a lot more than 2x my income, or settle for schools that are substandard for any potential kids I have. The white picket fence could happen in the not so distant past.
How many black families had to be ground up and spat out for white families to pretend a stay at home wife economic model wasn’t real? And not only wasn’t real, they tell us we should try to attain that status knowing the truth.