50 Cent Launches G-Unit Studios. And is starting his own channel with lionsgate.

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
television empire adds another point to the scoreboard with the offical launch today (April 18) of G-Unit Studios in Shreveport, Louisiana.

“As someone who has always believed in the transformative power of music, film, and television, I’m beyond excited to introduce the expansion of my G-Unit Film & Television through the launch of G-Unit Studios right here in Shreveport. From the gritty narratives of the streets to the compelling stories that define our era, G-Unit has always been more than just entertainment; it’s a platform for voices that need to be heard, stories that need to be told. Bringing G-Unit Studios to Shreveport is not just a business decision; it’s a commitment to fostering talent, creating opportunities, and building a community that thrives through creativity and innovation. We see Shreveport as a beacon of inspiration and creativity,” 50 tells Billboard.

Last edited:

Duece

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good for him and hopefully this provides some opportunities for the fam up in Shreveport.

Although since we've elected Cajun DeSantis, I hope that doesn't have a negative effect on shit.

Shadow

The Dark Lord
BGOL Investor
This is a true flex. I really hope he is successful with it like Tyler Perry.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Is this a Tyler Perry move?
Build your own studio down south in a tax friendly state and shoot outside of the Hollywood system.

I can't say that I've seen much outside of the original Power, but I'm rooting for him. Fuck Hollywood, get ya money 50!
Definitely a Tyler Perry move… he can shoot his own shit plus rent it out to others and control every aspect of it without interference from Hollywood

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It’s great for Perry but it’s shitty for his production….all his films look the same.

Wonder if Fif hiring…..gonna put my resume in Shreveport right down the street.
I think that falls more on Tyler Perry shooting style than the actual production. Various other companies shot at his facilities and nobody said hey that looks like a Tyler Perry set. In fact if I’m not mistaken I believe they said marvel might have used his facilities b4

Simply Sickenin'

Valar Morghulis ....
BGOL Investor
It’s great for Perry but it’s shitty for his production….all his films look the same.

I think that falls more on Tyler Perry shooting style than the actual production. Various other companies shot at his facilities and nobody said hey that looks like a Tyler Perry set. In fact if I’m not mistaken I believe they said marvel might have used his facilities b4
Word!
Most of Tyler Perry's productions look the same, whether it's tv or a movie. Same sets, same actors, same costumes, same settings, etc.

That's how he guarantees that all of his movies will be a financial success. Shot on locations he controls so the cost still low, meanwhile his audiences don't seem to be complaining.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
50 be hiring a lot of white people behind the scenes though. Not a lot of black executives in his organization.

keone

International Member

yeah depends who is shooting
bad boys 3 was shot there too i think

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Is this a Tyler Perry move?
Build your own studio down south in a tax friendly state and shoot outside of the Hollywood system.

I can't say that I've seen much outside of the original Power, but I'm rooting for him. Fuck Hollywood, get ya money 50!
Fair competition was the reason Hollywood was created in the first place. Trying to get away from the mob like monopoly Thomas Edison had on filmmaking.

I been saying for years I wish people wouldve stopped running to Hollywood to make their movie star dreams come true and just come up locally but thats all there really was at the time not many options outside of Hollywood. Now we see Tyler Perry and now 50 with studios is good news for talent.

Hollywood use to win back then because it had great access to various landscapes for different movie genres without having to create fake outdoor sets.

Simply Sickenin'

Valar Morghulis ....
BGOL Investor
Fair competition was the reason Hollywood was created in the first place. Trying to get away from the mob like monopoly Thomas Edison had on filmmaking.

I been saying for years I wish people wouldve stopped running to Hollywood to make their movie star dreams come true and just come up locally but thats all there really was at the time not many options outside of Hollywood. Now we see Tyler Perry and now 50 with studios is good news for talent.

Hollywood use to win back then because it had great access to various landscapes for different movie genres without having to create fake outdoor sets.
Real shit Mello.
We keep mentioning Tyler Perry, but one of my childhood heroes was always Robert Townsend. He was the 1st black man I remember seeing that said, "fuck Hollywood, we can do thing ourselves."

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Real shit Mello.
We keep mentioning Tyler Perry, but one of my childhood heroes was always Robert Townsend. He was the 1st black man I remember seeing that said, "fuck Hollywood, we can do thing ourselves."
I mean when you think about it Hollywood is really that 30 mile zone outside of that its regular living.

Streaming services have changed how movies are distributed to audiences so less discrimination from major distributors.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
See I heard Black Panther was shot there but I just assumed they used the green screen there because Perry shit looks terrible. Fucked up sets and fucked up wigs lol.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Real shit Mello.
Perry has done it on a different scale though. Filmmaking wise Perry doesn’t compare at all. But his business sense? He’s done things I didn’t think black people could do in the industry. He proved it can be done.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
yeah depends who is shooting
bad boys 3 was shot there too i think
I wonder is it the whole movie or just a scene or two…some of the biggest films in Hollywood have been shot there for sure can’t take that from Perry.

Fif can hit a gold mind in Shreveport since it’s cheaper to shoot there. Someone else went over there and opened up a studio years back not sure how it’s doing.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hollyweird is about to invade the southern states,the ink can dry in LA and NYC but we're going were it's cheaper and TP and 50 are ahead of the pack and I wish them brothers the best in this white mans world.

keone

International Member
I wonder is it the whole movie or just a scene or two…some of the biggest films in Hollywood have been shot there for sure can’t take that from Perry.

Fif can hit a gold mind in Shreveport since it’s cheaper to shoot there. Someone else went over there and opened up a studio years back not sure how it’s doing.
last few years there have been a lot of movies filmed down there
i think even the new show parish is shot there
a lot cheaper so it isnt a bad idea
i do think they need to work together
which i think they will do cause 50 was mentioning perrys name a lot last few years
he prolly asked for some advice/guidance

keone

International Member
Perry has done it on a different scale though. Filmmaking wise Perry doesn’t compare at all. But his business sense? He’s done things I didn’t think black people could do in the industry. He proved it can be done.
perrys problem is that he wants to do everything himself
if he starts let other people cook i think it will be better quality wise
but he is prolly making so much money he doesnt care

keone

International Member
The Lincoln Motion Picture Company was an American film production company founded in 1916 by Noble Johnson and George Perry Johnson.[1] Noble Johnson was president of the company, and the secretary was actor Clarence A. Brooks. Dr. James T. Smith was treasurer, and Dudley A. Brooks was the assistant secretary.[2] The company is known as the first producer of race movies.[3][4][5] Established in Omaha, Nebraska, the company relocated to Los Angeles the following year. It remained in operation until 1923, closing shortly after announcing a final project, The Heart of a Negro.[6] The point of the creation of Lincoln's was to eliminate the stereotypical roles of "slapstick comedy" in Hollywood at the time for Black actors and actresses. "best advertised and most widely known Race Corporation in the world" is the famous slogan for the company.[7]

Background
In the first two decades of the 20th century, African American audiences were ignored by film studios. Because African American audiences were ignored, there was a high demand for films geared to catering to black audiences. Thus bringing about the need for black motion picture production companies.

The Lincoln Motion Picture Company is considered the first all-Black movie production company,[8] building a reputation for making films that showcased African American talent in the film industry. The company made and distributed only five films. The first film that was created and produced by the Lincoln Motion Picture Company was "The Realization of a Negro's Ambition" (1916).[7] This was the first film that would portray and show the Black middle class. These films were limited to African American audiences in churches, schools, and "Colored Only" theaters, despite the Johnson brothers wanting a wider audience. Unfortunately, production expenses and low sales halted future films to be made and distributed. Noble left his position as president to become an actor at Universal Pictures, with Dr. James T. Smith taking over the position. Speculation tells that the films that starred Johnson were released by the company at this time were commercially more successful than the white owned Universal Studios.[7] The Lincoln Motion Picture Company lasted until 1921.[2]

Although the Lincoln Motion Picture Company did not last long, it was influential in the African American community. This company inspired the movement of more ethnic movie companies.

Filmography

Movie poster of The Trooper of Troop K
The Realization of a Negro's Ambition (1916)
The Law of Nature (1916)
The Trooper of Company K (1917)
A Man's Duty (1919)[9]
By Right of Birth (1921)[6]

keone

International Member
tim reid was early too they had to sell it tho

Nearly 40 years later, the next Black-owned movie studio would be developed. In 1997, actor Tim Reid and his wife actor Daphne Reid launched a full-service movie studio in Petersburg, Virginia called New Millennium Studios. The 60-acre facility contained a 14,850 square foot soundstage and post-production facilities that included state-of-the-art digital technology. It was the only Black-owned film studio in the United States since the 1930s. Films such as Once Upon a Time When We Colored and Stephen Spielberg’s Lincoln were shot there. Unfortunately, due to the lack of support from the state’s incentives to allow filmmaking to be less expensive, the movie studio was sold for $1.5 million to a local realty firm.

keone

International Member
In the dynamic world of cinema, numerous Black-owned film production companies have made significant strides, each crafting unique narratives and spaces. We spotlight 16 such entities, known for their remarkable commercial achievements and their role in fostering diverse and inclusive storytelling. The list is organized from the highest to lowest based on each production company's total worldwide gross of films.
65af14d9d906e888aa17b978_MPhtNYE_9Vq42vIWpXG4NvfldhGSb_rT418mrqUl08bmh8EmivSVALQktCNIoq5kbQfslHCtjw8epOHrsvbqVju1v1qTtEawyk3Keacm_uyVFUSAANLHbZWqLwei-SodNhGifThQmKG3blPTW2w1PGU.png

1. Overbrook Entertainment

Established in 1998 by Will Smith and James Lassiter, Overbrook Entertainment has produced a variety of successful films across different genres, including "Ali," "Hitch," and "The Pursuit of Happyness." The company's films have grossed a staggering $3,931,779,272 worldwide, with "Hancock" being their top film, grossing over $624M worldwide on a $150M budget.

65af14d93e4ee996b61e7578_l9UohM3P2jXdOV-kpdheH7kiTeh_hW0XN-vTgWQvtRnq7kaIPWOg1_cm_afYPuVdXQfWpo3UZJHTrCPRGGxqgSNhddp_sAlvGxwxPHut_eSaKzZOg44QQcYetqU0V0oXCWx9T2Et5BocqyQTUe-7LWY.png

2. Alcon Entertainment

Alcon Entertainment, co-founded by Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove in 1997, has produced various critically and commercially successful films. Known for "The Book of Eli," "Blade Runner 2049," and "The Blind Side," the latter grossed $305,705,794 worldwide on a $35M budget. Alcon's commitment to diverse and quality storytelling has established it as a critical player in the industry. To date, their films have grossed over $1,970,114,245 worldwide.
65af14d9c0a2c8202fa80c73_rIq-KMOPCK8OUZnN5XZgbI6l5RR5wxXfOymA_ZZ0nkBnyiN7miQmTwEQTFIGsOieJBxl9TxI9ctWv8sIBCmdX4XwM74dMEPpXiLLFoJxua7REQI8_6Y5fbsdMY8bkJFD73fGu9SjToqHyXzqR-ZElvI.png

3. Will Packer Productions and Rainforest Films

Will Packer's production companies have been behind some of the most successful films in the past few years, grossing over $1.255 billion worldwide? Known for hits like "Ride Along," "Girls Trip," and "Think Like a Man," these companies have mastered the art of creating engaging and commercially successful films. "Ride Along" is their top film, grossing $153M on a $25M budget, showcasing their ability to create blockbuster hits.
65af14d9a8aa8b8948d70e72_fAq8M_0O5sLDc5CXSrvqjKV0cUDplndUKeFDwsikB7TQhKaDQ2hJ2oPKa75969n6hSGdWoKnlctdAsuTiXqoK6hAYetC9-rEsI0egTv2_L98tYBSUqFhePNY3Jqw6vhFZVSIrAMEHY7SMrvMu58WoLk.png

4. Eddie Murphy Productions

Eddie Murphy, a comedic legend, established his production company to blend humor and heartfelt storytelling. His company has grossed over $1B worldwide, with films like "Coming to America" and "Harlem Nights" under its belt. "Beverly Hills Cop" stands out as their highest grosser, earning $316M worldwide on a modest $15M budget. The production company's history includes a range of successful comedies that highlight Eddie Murphy's unique style and humor.

65af14d9cb592af481a6d3aa_v6VuBbkA9inqCZ4iYVztZtwYPswKl5ECwpGdNp177KrdhtOYNSQhK1gGZHKu08DYqOU0pWA1E1wu6GgRwR85PzrqZfPd0SBqBYHIPNbbi6lfDe7v_eWcYa36UYac7WB5HsdFw7dG2QM-UwncIliYvjM.png

5. Wayans Brothers Entertainment

This company is a powerhouse in comedy and entertainment, founded by Keenen Ivory, Damon, Shawn, and Marlon Wayans. Known for their successful franchises like "Scary Movie," which grossed $277M worldwide on a $19M budget, and "Dance Flick," they have consistently succeeded in the comedy genre. With a total box office gross of $719,766,916, their productions include notable titles like "A Haunted House" and "Little Man."

65af14d921827d1c04f99734_WOex-1f92TlL2-Gz9DQeqAvjCYa0LdO_89G4ST0RG_V64rygPAIRpp8OwJsBWSmiUuS3iJqm8yoQF2mWsPw0CnbVS7GtV6FTcKC4uOwAEUVToysdKMuw-w4-4o6H7YByqwnTaeXOpwiaTxcIicrEwsQ.png

6. Cube Vision

Founded by rapper and actor Ice Cube, Cube Vision has been behind some of the most iconic films in recent decades. "Friday," "Barbershop," and "All About the Benjamins" are part of its impressive portfolio. "Straight Outta Compton" is its highest-grossing film, earning over $200M worldwide on a $28M budget. Cube Vision's success lies in blending humor, culture, and social commentary. To date, his films have grossed $687,520,633.24,624, their productions include notable titles like "A Haunted House" and "Little Man."
65af14d9720863221824dbed_nGSjLln35xtGzQ-O6iz-jsjeFjKnZShCLFCSuX8Y3EZJHyF8tRrSG3gZPKXl27gDSaocjvIwoqGRX7h5EO0XxoYfcFsJSCgrrS4_wmckbhP2kDjoBl0oS1jTII3LWaZavO4h3UABPDaJtVTp_5MF6SM.png

7. Tyler Perry Studios

Tyler Perry's Atlanta-based studio has significantly impacted the film and television industry. The studio's productions, including "Diary of a Mad Black Woman," "Madea’s Big Happy Family," and "Boo! A Madea Halloween," have grossed a total of $625,731,022 worldwide. "Madea Goes to Jail" remains their highest-grossing film with over $90M on a $17M budget. In addition to its filmography, Tyler Perry Studios is known for its impressive facilities, including a replica White House and a range of soundstages named after iconic African-American figures in the entertainment industry.
65af14d9d906e888aa17b98f_ezsa_S3QPM3gv-77jEMcDZSrbvLTcGPxWXUiW02pSMPPfLQnt8FVMJ4q1wEAQ5yLW4peQ-o0QCqs3whfg-6wfnU9pdPBa6LYpMDyEkqFWllWQBRUa3g1NshEBaDpE-22Wqh3T2wxlc1XQuDWW5ALvN0.png

8. Monkeypaw Productions

Jordan Peele's Monkeypaw Productions, established in 2012, is known for its groundbreaking work in the horror genre. With critically acclaimed films like "Get Out" and "Us," Monkeypaw made a significant impact, grossing $619,548,024 worldwide. "Us" alone grossed over $256M worldwide on a budget of just $20M. Their 5-year deal with Universal has positioned them as a leading production company in Hollywood.
65af14d991cda4362da82266_EI1eKtNOEV-EdgWoU7gtpo1oyVym1-EiIMXAwciO-BnBl5KhVyVmhhJYK6FziLQ_4ya-XZWiHdp3cgoUDZ-9AgoBKWyYPg_TcBNO7jvlA0V3qm3dBvDxGMazx74B5e6VqMtPc7NJuNjG0t-gw2An52k.png

9. Outlier Society Productions

Founded in 2016 by Michael B. Jordan, Outlier Society Productions is dedicated to telling diverse stories across various genres. With successful films like "Just Mercy" and "Journal for Jordan," they have grossed a substantial $555,501,119 worldwide. Their top movie, “Creed III,” achieved over $274M in box office sales worldwide on a production budget of $75M, showcasing their commitment to high-quality filmmaking.

65af14d9106f42170319a04b_byDjzgKTVZi_zVTbQDNPWL6-uLQ8nvBgb-QT2re5qlvuHkiYufiMIwLG0CuRbtOepoqPLmRlcxGcREp79JYj-1y0hNRryxWxMN76w8UuRoDKR8dvOKJKReChnxpGZHX48BWphP8fY0BQ2Ll6_8vEkT4.png

10. Runteldat Entertainment

Martin Lawrence, known for his dynamic presence in comedy and film, founded Runteldat Entertainment. The company's notable success, "Martin Lawrence Live: Runteldat," grossed nearly $20 million at the box office, a significant achievement given its $3 million production cost. The film is a stand-up comedy concert featuring Martin Lawrence, reflecting his personal and comedic style. To date, Lawrence's productions have grossed $426,362,070.

65b0155f9ca02046c53da59b_JjO1rlodlD3Fi6RoDX8U1z60jqpnxLMIZ1iS05oytY8vn5P3Xg60XxlSff9kewH3cdrdDXZXBWbDCopojUHEnfCePOH4cxHzi99oGhsQlMWz0HOu-qsEvg6Uc8MosyRxlWwX2IZhFMl_Z93Ul1Jl2LU.png

11. Proximity Media

Ryan Coogler is best known for his work behind the camera as the directing Marvel's iconic "Black Panther" series - Coogler's production company, Proximity Media, has produced films with several others on this list, including Lebron James and Michael B. Jordan. To date, Proximity Media's productions have grossed over $425,490,510. . The top film is Creed III, which grossed over $274M worldwide on a $75M budget.
65af14d932db19e180241611_9j3n24lVoNC3W7us3nZsEuz31-Lt3XMo4ithqQPBeqZZgaGDZWxJqOoW2Y2VmqLsF8oNCyGO45GFeZnDCLNoYZ9BKeeqCyT05e7xAPzMtuWEdULuFZ3tiEl-RTReRMAC40zznlKwMOn4OulWa2l31Zk.png

12. Reuben Cannon Productions

Reuben Cannon Productions has been influential in bringing African American narratives to the forefront of Hollywood. The company has a total gross of $367,930,621, with Tyler Perry's "Madea Goes to Jail" as one of its top films. The company's collaboration with Tyler Perry Studios has successfully combined Perry's unique storytelling with Cannon's production expertise.

65b0155ffc8647f666f4cc8b_SFUAQZ_wkgLaFTHn0TysDr571jnExtnykQzb60PlL6oiUhwVn5BV3Lh2PmUhLU9sQ_qLu_Fqq17OWhr4vyOaTOU6u-SQxE3RxLqIDUNZ7S7sSqn9fdoRlrOhVcT8A6OP6UPw5Tfi8PgomzNqyhrvx9A.png

13. 40 Acres and a Mule Filmworks

The legendary director Spike Lee Spike Lee's production company 40 Acres and a Mule Filmworks has producer credits grossing $323,229,415 worldwide. Hailed as a trailblazer for his unique style, Lee has produced timeless films like "Love & Basketball" and "Do the Right Thing." Their top production, "BlacKkKlansman," grossed over $93M worldwide on a $15M budget.

65af14d929ba0c4988558dec_yt0E84Fu-AWEXDAogvNqwgW_gNpdEaV8Iv4LUyR59vqGr9OHjAMgnEx2ZY71hwbnuvj-CX_XH-yXHR8FOYNPgAHbOSuTiPeY4uOtcumOImtqzSTN5MUq2CHTyGWyK4fPAqB4Z3O9tcGnmvVoZUhp7yA.png

14. Harpo Productions

Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Productions, founded in 1986, has been influential in television and film. Harpo has produced a range of acclaimed films and television shows, contributing to a gross of over $319,581,714. Their highest-grossing film, “The Hundred-Foot Journey,” made over $94M worldwide on a $22M budget.
65af14d969b29f365aa6ff24_ADrAzhKiHdHFYjjSFOQsh5f-qQlCJyNDIjGb8yvldeOJ2H8ILJ2ClZrFbh-FIRNj_HCWhJ-rqwKxBOQylKNIThOmxgv5pQoq2ruDAnslLFwcIMbxWJyTym0oHDPN8v5sYXbZjfN6OCRSXHKmAKrT-nY.png

15. SpringHill Entertainment

LeBron James and Maverick Carter's SpringHill Entertainment, founded in 2007, focuses on empowering content that resonates with a broad audience. Their projects span from documentaries to TV series, with a total gross of $153,201,681 worldwide. “Space Jam: A New Legacy,” their top film, grossed nearly $144M worldwide on a $150M budget.
65af14d9ca2bcb4927f7b599_h-Hyem-FsMUGnU34EqOYa1lxsDuIfrJcs_IuJSKACiHXAGFC7wToETUaq81SodVl1qsyOn-0T3VBgYdjZywyMI7fB0fFibn8phUdoJWGOxITUadde-EKDuqiqTFp-N9Mdk99l2JRZIMe7O-oVdSMxss.png

16. UpperRoom Productions

Founded by British actor John Boyega in 2016, UpperRoom Productions focuses on non-English language films that explore stories from West and East Africa. Their partnership with Netflix has amplified their global reach. Their biggest hit, "Pacific Rim Uprising," grossed over $290M worldwide on a budget of $155M, contributing significantly to their total worldwide gross of $293,736,507.
65af14d9a7483666cc2bdb60_PC2ZvGGl2cEy8lwSGWCyyAfvtvUH8_yKA7Nwga_L3ILFvDmvIFoD6lFLspkcmtR4CZHfB8vMwVhfyG32Ks2SxEs_BajPbeUFs2VXmYAdKStTWLGRiDu52G5YaZo3YuHnE31wVXTiuLBiIL7Qp3yOiZg.png

17. Martin Chase Productions

Under the leadership of Debra Martin Chase, this company has produced critically acclaimed films like "Harriet," which grossed over $44M on a $17M budget. Known for

65af14d9de51bac5c743a221_Vq0wSs5T9qr4oIAAlgSBNuxh7TlVo5qgYXQFt0NE_6z40g6XRl-ZVp_JKJ_dS20WIJMD6NWDTvxJD2e3kcLOmrHEmaz-hA-Kysh2wB55hNYQK_665RlPB-1Fx9xDEZhYtzB2dkeBNQiuX6N5t9ICbl4.png

18. Codeblack Films

Jeff Clanagan established Codeblack Films in 2005 as a part of Lionsgate, focusing on films for African American audiences. The company has been instrumental in distributing and producing various movies and documentaries. Their top production, “Kevin Hart’s What Now,” grossed $23,591,043 on a $10M budget, contributing to their overall gross of $25,342,087.
These production companies, each with a unique style and focus, have significantly contributed to the film industry, bringing diverse stories and talents to the forefront. Over the years, we have seen more and more Black-produced movies touch the masses, a promising trend that will continue in the years to come. Their success stories are a testament to their creative vision and a beacon of inspiration for future Black filmmakers.

Search

Featured blog posts​

DC Man Sues Powerball After Being Denied $340M Jackpot

February 21, 2024

How One Houston Couple Turned A Side Hustle into a 7-Figure Business

January 24, 2024

The Top 18 Black-Owned Film Production Companies of All-Time

January 22, 2024

The Top 18 Black-Owned Film Production Companies of All-Time

Last edited: