A 102-year-old woman is being evicted after nearly 30 years. It’s legal in L.A. County

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
After 30 years, damn, just wait a few years and let the woman pass.

By Colleen Shalby
May 23, 2019 | 7:10 PM

la-1558638834-dmxij8u036-snap-image

Thelma Smith, a 102-year-old Ladera Heights resident seen in the photo at right, is being evicted from her residence of 30 years. Her longtime neighbor Pauline Cooper, left, is worried about her friend's situation. (Gary Coronado / Los Angeles Times)
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-woman-evicted-20190523-story.html

A 102-year-old woman is being evicted from her longtime residence in unincorporated Ladera Heights so the landlord’s daughter can move in instead, according to an eviction notice the woman received.

Thelma Smith was given notice on March 8 that she must vacate the single-family home where she has resided for nearly 30 years.

Her landlords said they were ending Smith’s month-to-month lease because their daughter is graduating from law school.

“The dwelling is needed as her principal place of residence,” the notice said.

They gave the centenarian three months to get out.

Under Los Angeles’ Rent Stabilization Ordinance, a landlord can legally evict a tenant to accommodate a relative’s housing needs. But the law indicates that if the units are of comparable housing, the last person who moved in would be the first person forced to leave. That regulation is meant to protect low-paying tenants from being targeted.

In greater L.A. County, where a temporary rent stabilization policy for unincorporated areas went into effect in December, the law is weaker.

“They use this law to target long-term, low-paying tenants,” said Larry Gross, executive director of the Coalition for Economic Survival.

Pauline Cooper, a longtime neighbor of Smith, said that in the last year at least one person has moved out of her friend’s small complex, which consists of three brown Craftsman-style homes with rock landscaping. Cooper didn’t know whether the once-empty space was occupied now, though.

“She’s been there a thousand years and is paying very low rent,” said Cooper, who has lived in the quiet neighborhood between Culver City and Baldwin Hills since 1999.

As part of the city’s Rent Stabilization Ordinance, relocation assistance is available for evicted tenants in L.A. who are 62 or older, are handicapped or disabled. But elsewhere in Los Angeles County, there’s no such help.

Smith, who did not wish to be interviewed, is relying on friends and faraway family to find a new place to stay, Cooper said.

“I’m trying to get her settled,” Cooper said.

She has offered Smith — a widow she describes as “spry” — a bedroom in her own home, but Smith doesn’t want to go anywhere.

“The only thing I can say is that I’ve tried to live a good life,” Smith told CBS. “I never wanted to harm anybody.”

Los Angeles won its Rent Stabilization Ordinance in 1978, and L.A. County received one in 1979. Four years later, the county’s law expired. If a permanent ordinance does pass, regulations could be added.

“It’s pretty outrageous and heartless to be evicting this woman,” Gross said. “It just shows a perfect example of how tenants without strong rent-controlled protections are vulnerable to displacement and injustices.”

Smith, a former executive secretary for the Sugar Ray Robinson Youth Foundation, a nonprofit that has served underprivileged youths, recently celebrated her birthday in the home where she’s spent three decades.

The celebration may be her last there. She has until June 30 to vacate the property, her landlords say.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Sad story, but it's a month-to-month lease. Doesn't matter if you been making them rich for 30 fucking years. It's their property. By them, they doing the right thing for their daughter who probably in big debt for law school. I'd kick someone out too for my daughter.

Shadow

The Dark Lord
BGOL Investor
Sad story, but it's a month-to-month lease. Doesn't matter if you been making them rich for 30 fucking years. It's their property. By them, they doing the right thing for their daughter who probably in big debt for law school. I'd kick someone out too for my daughter.

This unfortunately. She paid 30 years of rent. Someone told her that was a good fucking idea. She could have been had a house.

As fucked up as this sounds overall, people failed this old lady. Starting with the husband.

PJN

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I would end her lease too but will help her relocate. I just came from the Americans not having $400 for emergencies thread. Thirty years of building equity for someone, no bueno amigo.

2Klub

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I agree with the owning and equity line of thought but let’s also remember...30 years of building equity for someone over 100o_O!‽ Most elders of that age don’t want a damn house, they want some place to live with minimal maintenance. It makes sense she is in an apartment. That woman has lived long enough for a couple of lifetimes. She could’ve moved from a house into an apartment. Haven’t read all the details about the article but we also can’t assume she has living relatives or at least ones she would want to live with.​

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I agree with the owning and equity line of thought but let’s also remember...30 years of building equity for someone over 100o_O!‽ Most elders of that age don’t want a damn house, they want some place to live with minimal maintenance. It makes sense she is in an apartment. That woman has lived long enough for a couple of lifetimes. She could’ve moved from a house into an apartment. Haven’t read all the details about the article but we also can’t assume she has living relatives or at least ones she would want to live with.​

Exactly!

why would she want to buy the house when she could have easily died of old age the day after she moved in?

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Crazy sad story.. she must dont have any kids to help...hell i know a couple of dudes that own some houses n they have kept people n these places just casue they are old n consistent n dnt tear shit...but if i was the landlord n wanted her to leave i would definitely find another location for her first... i mean u think after that amount of time u would have a very good relationship with one another!!(landlord n renter)

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor

I can sympathize for the landlord if that's what he's actually doing, but that family move-in eviction clause has become one of the biggest housing scams in California.

Not sure about the law in Los Angeles, but it Oakland A lot of landlords have used a similar law to kick out long-time tenants and then just lied about moving back in. One guy even got caught taking garbage from his own house and putting it at the curb of the rental just to make it look like somebody live there. Meanwhile, the place was on Craigslist.

I got thrown out of my place in Hayward over this bullshit too.

Gazoo

The Big Brain
BGOL Investor
I can see the sides of both parties. Morally, a 102 year old woman should be able to live in peace. On the other side laws can really hamstring landlords.

I wonder what she is paying?

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

This. 30 years ago she was 72. I wouldn’t be surprised if she sold her house and downsized to a small apartment. At that age, who wants to be maintaining a house?

Rent stabilized apartment from 30 years ago. Her rent was probably a few hundred dollars.

Newlots

Star
Registered
As a landlord I understand the frustration of tenants have unbelievable rights. In DC tenants have life time rights to an apartment regardless if the lease expires or not. You have to show proper cause to evict, there are only 10 reasons and it can cost thousands of dollars. Plus you have to deal with rent increase limitations. The old lady was probably paying $200 a month. If this was the case, there is no way the landlord was making money. Property tax, water and general maintain will put a hurting on a LL. However, if I have been living with it for 30 years and she's 102 I would let her stay until the end. In all likeliness she probably will be there a couple of years.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
Exactly!

why would she want to buy the house when she could have easily died of old age the day after she moved in?

When she dies, her family inherits nothing. When I die, my family inherits property.

That's why. I can understand not wanting a house but 30 years ago she could have got a cheap condo in say venice or long beach for 40K. Shit would be worth 500k now and she could actually use a reverse mortgage to make her final years stress free.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
When she dies, her family inherits nothing. When I die, my family inherits property.

That's why. I can understand not wanting a house but 30 years ago she could have got a cheap condo in say venice or long beach for 40K. Shit would be worth 500k now and she could actually use a reverse mortgage to make her final years stress free.

Her heirs, if any, will be pushing 80 right now. We also don't know what other kinds of assets she might have.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Shut the fuck up , people have grand kids and great grand kids you idiot fuck

Her grandkids are damn near retirement age. Her great-grandkids have had two other generations to help provide a legacy for them.

And again, we don't know what other kind of assets she might have. for all we know, she could have a fat nest egg and rents because she wants to live off the interest without touching the principal.

finally, the reason a lot of older people don't want to own a house is because all of the repairs and maintenance are completely on them. If she's too old to do the work herself and doesn't have anyone in the family who could do it for her she's at the absolute mercy of contractors. Crooks who will charge her three times the going rate to replace a hot water heater because they know that if she doesn't it could explode and ruin the entire basement. It's probably cheaper and less stressful to get a 90-day eviction then have to constantly deal with that shit.

Dr. Truth

QUACK!
BGOL Investor
Her grandkids are damn near retirement age. Her great-grandkids have had two other generations to help provide a legacy for them.

And again, we don't know what other kind of assets she might have. for all we know, she could have a fat nest egg and rents because she wants to live off the interest without touching the principal.

finally, the reason a lot of older people don't want to own a house is because all of the repairs and maintenance are completely on them. If she's too old to do the work herself and doesn't have anyone in the family who could do it for her she's at the absolute mercy of contractors. Crooks who will charge her three times the going rate to replace a hot water heater because they know that if she doesn't it could explode and ruin the entire basement. It's probably cheaper and less stressful to get a 90-day eviction then have to constantly deal with that shit.
Here this cracka go again trying to tell us something against what’s best for us. Cracka it doesn’t matter if her great grandkids are 100 years old. Owning would be better to pass to family you plant. Get this agenda pushing cac out of here!!!

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
Her heirs, if any, will be pushing 80 right now. We also don't know what other kinds of assets she might have.

Then she should just die broke and penniless huh? Serves her right for listening to BGOL rent squad. :rolleyes:

If she had other assets she wouldn't be sweating this eviction. That's the point. She doesn't own the property. It's not hers, so the rightful owner can move her out.

Dr. Truth

QUACK!
BGOL Investor
Then she should just die broke and penniless huh? Serves her right for listening to BGOL rent squad. :rolleyes:

If she had other assets she wouldn't be sweating this eviction. That's the point. She doesn't own the property. It's not hers, so the rightful owner can move her out.
That cac is the worst

Adam Knows

YouTube: Adam Knows
Platinum Member
As fucked up as this sounds overall, people failed this old lady. Starting with the husband.

that's an unfair statement. we dont know what's happened, starting with the husband. he may have been taking care of her all his life and died in his 60's or 70's making it 30-40 years ago.

we don't know what's happened since then.. she may have had a home at one point and circumstances such as health forced her to sale for something as simple as she can't go up and down the stairs or the house wasn't accomodating for her conditions as she got older.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Why dont you stfu already. Your act is old and played out. At least with this dannyblueye nigga, he’s never pretended to someone he isn’t. You on the other hand have been nothing but a fraud from day one.

Anyone notice that your entire shtick is deflecting by calling everyone a cac? How many niggas did you create threads about in the past, accusing them of being blunt? You’ve even made a thread claiming Slam was blunt. You’ve created hundreds of threads calling dozens of members white. Meanwhile, you’re a fucking white piece of shit fraud. You’ve been making a fool out of these braindead idiots for 25 years. Every year you get younger and younger. Let’s bump threads of you lying about Your age. Someone even called you out in a thread about that.

The only reason you’re allowed to get away with it is that you know how dumb these idiots are. You’re fully aware that niggas here are nothing but a bunch of pussy ass sheep and the people who know what a piece of shit phony you are will be too scared to call you out because they want to fit in.

Well I’ll tell everyone this now... dr truth is a phony and a fraud. He always deflects with his bullshit. I promise you niggas that he isn’t black. He’s a white man who takes pleasure in pretending to be black to make fools out of you. There was an infamous member who did the same thing.....blunt. Wake up niggas... stop being dumb fucks your whole lives.

God damn! This is the biggest ock I've seen in 14 years.

I don't normally like to make personal attacks, but it's Dr truth is actually a psychiatrist he's probably the kind that has tea parties with stuffed animals while he counsels patients over the phone.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor

Are you sure she's the one sweating the eviction? All of the quotes come from her neighbor and let's be real, the older people get the more tight-lipped they tend to be about their money. It saves them from suffering an "accident" in the shower or something.

speaking of her neighbor, she offered a room in her home for Miss Smith to live in rent-free. Why would she turn it down if she really needed it that bad? I get that people have pride and need privacy, but when your only options are a room or a cardboard box you take the room. Clearly these aren't her only options.

my guess is that out of the millions of people in Los Angeles reading this article at least one of them will have need for a good stable tenant like Miss Smith. They will be happy to offer her an affordable place to live. It just might not be in her old neighborhood or at her old rent.

Dr. Truth

QUACK!
BGOL Investor
Danny and Tina teaming up for moral support lmbaoooooooo Coon and Cac love fest both of you should kill yourselves. Tina you’ll be banned soon. Bye bitch

BronxBomber

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
People sense of decency is gone when it comes to the mighty dollar.

Personally if it wasn't life or death I would either let her rock out- What 5 years MAX. Or Id find her a spot where she will be taken care of. I know maybe Im a bleeding heart but I believe in doing for people who cant help me sometime. Especially Elders and children. I think thats where my blessings come from

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You can own an apartment...