A 102-year-old woman is being evicted after nearly 30 years. It’s legal in L.A. County

Adam Knows

YouTube: Adam Knows
Platinum Member
just read that arnold schwarzennegar stepped in and helped her out...

Woman facing eviction gets help from Arnold Schwarzenegger
  • ByTHE ASSOCIATED PRESS
LOS ANGELES — May 25, 2019, 7:01 PM ET
Schwarzenegger-ap-er-180402_hpMain_12x5_992.jpg
Francois Mori/AP, FILE
Arnold Schwarzenegger waves as he arrives at the Elysee Palace prior to a meeting on climate change in Paris, Dec. 12, 2017.

A 102-year-old woman facing eviction from her California home of nearly 30 years is getting help from Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The Los Angeles Times reports Thelma Smith was given until June 30 to move out by landlords who say their daughter needs a place to live.

Los Angeles' rent control law provides relocation assistance for elderly and disabled.

But Smith, a retired secretary for the Sugar Ray Robinson Youth Foundation, lives in an unincorporated section of Los Angeles County, just outside the city limits. The law doesn't apply there.

Schwarzenegger, who knew Smith through his involvement with the charity, called the eviction "heartless." He tweeted: "Imagine doing this to a 102-year-old woman who gave back to the community her whole life."

A spokesman says Schwarzenegger's staff has met with Smith to find a solution.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/woman-facing-eviction-arnold-schwarzenegger-63280536

Dr. Truth

QUACK!
BGOL Investor
just read that arnold schwarzennegar stepped in and helped her out...

Woman facing eviction gets help from Arnold Schwarzenegger
  • ByTHE ASSOCIATED PRESS
LOS ANGELES — May 25, 2019, 7:01 PM ET
Schwarzenegger-ap-er-180402_hpMain_12x5_992.jpg
Francois Mori/AP, FILE
Arnold Schwarzenegger waves as he arrives at the Elysee Palace prior to a meeting on climate change in Paris, Dec. 12, 2017.

A 102-year-old woman facing eviction from her California home of nearly 30 years is getting help from Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The Los Angeles Times reports Thelma Smith was given until June 30 to move out by landlords who say their daughter needs a place to live.

Los Angeles' rent control law provides relocation assistance for elderly and disabled.

But Smith, a retired secretary for the Sugar Ray Robinson Youth Foundation, lives in an unincorporated section of Los Angeles County, just outside the city limits. The law doesn't apply there.

Schwarzenegger, who knew Smith through his involvement with the charity, called the eviction "heartless." He tweeted: "Imagine doing this to a 102-year-old woman who gave back to the community her whole life."

A spokesman says Schwarzenegger's staff has met with Smith to find a solution.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/woman-facing-eviction-arnold-schwarzenegger-63280536
Arnold’s a good guy.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Land should have been the first thing Dominate with our money. I hate to see that happen to the old lady but is that the only way she can look out for her daughter?
The main reason why I was saying land should be what we are trying to dominate is because it seems we are only renting from Satan. Or else there would be no homeless people. But the killers and demons have possession of the land right now until we take things back.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This unfortunately. She paid 30 years of rent. Someone told her that was a good fucking idea. She could have been had a house.

As fucked up as this sounds overall, people failed this old lady. Starting with the husband.
For some people it is hard to start paying on a house. Most people only rent not rent to own. Unless you have successfully saved up a down payment on a home. For a while a lot of Americans were losing their homes because of not being able to keep the payments up.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
According to BGOL rent control squad the landlord has to work with feelings and lose money providing housing for her and his daughter.

It has nothing to do with feelings.

whenever a company provides an essential life service the government makes them give some of their customers concessions. That's why the power companies give cheaper electricity to people who depend on refrigerated medicines and electric medical equipment to live.

Likewise, landlords provide an essential life service to their customers. It's only reasonable that they should have to make similar concessions.

If rent doesn't cover the utilities and maintenance too bad! that's the risk of the landlord business. You shouldn't get to bail on a tenant just because your investment took a hit.

After all, the landlord certainly wasn't complaining during all the decades the rent covered his expenses and then some. And at the end of the day he still has a half million dollar house.

For a moment, let's imagine this tenant is penniless and this eviction puts her on the street. Now the city has to cover the cost of homeless enforcement, shelter beds, and medical care that she might have not needed if she had a home. Meanwhile, the landlord is making money hand-over-fist from a new tenant and everyone else is stuck holding the bill.

roots69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Funny how a law that helps low income people can simply and conveniently vanish..

But funny how racist and invasive laws like the drug laws and patriot act lingers on for years...what a fuckiby coincidence huh??

Bruh, aint nobody listening to what I highlighted!! I dont know what its going to take to get people, mainly our people to snap outta the trance!!

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator

whenever a company provides an essential life service the government makes them give some of their customers concessions. That's why the power companies give cheaper electricity to people who depend on refrigerated medicines and electric medical equipment to live.

Likewise, landlords provide an essential life service to their customers. It's only reasonable that they should have to make similar concessions.

If rent doesn't cover the utilities and maintenance too bad! that's the risk of the landlord business. You shouldn't get to bail on a tenant just because your investment took a hit.

After all, the landlord certainly wasn't complaining during all the decades the rent covered his expenses and then some. And at the end of the day he still has a half million dollar house.

For a moment, let's imagine this tenant is penniless and this eviction puts her on the street. Now the city has to cover the cost of homeless enforcement, shelter beds, and medical care that she might have not needed if she had a home. Meanwhile, the landlord is making money hand-over-fist from a new tenant and everyone else is stuck holding the bill.

You make no sense. As a property owner can I tell the state of California to let me slide on my property tax bill cause my tenants got issues? Can I call my insurance company, manager and maintenance person and tell them I'll pay them with glad tidings and attaboys?

Fuck it, let's just round up all the homeless and stuff them in my apartments. I'm a greedy landlord rolling in cash so it's my civic duty to provide.

Get the fuck out of here mayne. It's a sad story, but nobody's going to cry for me when I lose everything I've worked for because I have tenants unable or unwilling to pay for their lodging.

I'm not with slumlords or those that abuse the system (section 8 for example) but this is the real world. If you choose to rent, or can't afford to buy, either pool your money with family or deal with the reality of your situation.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
You make no sense. As a property owner can I tell the state of California to let me slide on my property tax bill cause my tenants got issues? Can I call my insurance company, manager and maintenance person and tell them I'll pay them with glad tidings and attaboys?

Fuck it, let's just round up all the homeless and stuff them in my apartments. I'm a greedy landlord rolling in cash so it's my civic duty to provide.

Get the fuck out of here mayne. It's a sad story, but nobody's going to cry for me when I lose everything I've worked for because I have tenants unable or unwilling to pay for their lodging.

I'm not with slumlords or those that abuse the system (section 8 for example) but this is the real world. If you choose to rent, or can't afford to buy, either pool your money with family or deal with the reality of your situation.

Of course you can't. That's why when a tenant's rent covers your expenses and then some you sock away some of that extra money to cover the bills during the months where it doesn't. Same with any other business.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
Of course you can't. That's why when a tenant's rent covers your expenses and then some you sock away some of that extra money to cover the bills during the months where it doesn't. Same with any other business.

The difference between being a landlord and other business is when you can't pay for a meal you don't get to keep coming to eat for free.

I have money to cover an empty apartment, but I can't afford to support a non paying tenant while I could potentially have another person there.

Just glad Arnold is willing to help.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
The difference between being a landlord and other business is when you can't pay for a meal you don't get to keep coming to eat for free.

I have money to cover an empty apartment, but I can't afford to support a non paying tenant while I could potentially have another person there.

Just glad Arnold is willing to help.

Nobody expects you to cover a non paying tenant. There are plenty of reasons that you can, and should, be able to evict someone.

However, if your tenant is following the law, respecting their lease, and paying their rent every month on time and in full they get to stay. If their rent doesn't quite cover your costs, even after you've raised it the full amount allowed, that's too bad. You take that hit until you've either sold the home, paid them them to leave, or you have cause to evict.

That's the risk of being in the rental business.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I agree with the owning and equity line of thought but let’s also remember...30 years of building equity for someone over 100o_O!‽ Most elders of that age don’t want a damn house, they want some place to live with minimal maintenance. It makes sense she is in an apartment. That woman has lived long enough for a couple of lifetimes. She could’ve moved from a house into an apartment. Haven’t read all the details about the article but we also can’t assume she has living relatives or at least ones she would want to live with.​
The article said her neighbor would give her a room, but she doesn't want to move. I kind of understand since she probaly have to give up a lot of poessions.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

You mention the city footing the bill if she becomes homeless. You think the city would give 2 fucks how old she was if she didn't pay property taxes? They'd take the property, but the landlord supposed to be a charity? No, it's the government who is supposed to provide some level of support for people who don't have it together, not private business owners.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
Nobody expects you to cover a non paying tenant. There are plenty of reasons that you can, and should, be able to evict someone.

However, if your tenant is following the law, respecting their lease, and paying their rent every month on time and in full they get to stay. If their rent doesn't quite cover your costs, even after you've raised it the full amount allowed, that's too bad. You take that hit until you've either sold the home, paid them them to leave, or you have cause to evict.

That's the risk of being in the rental business.

And if I want my sister, cousin or niece move in that's too bad. That's the risk of being a renter with no savings or assets. Kick rocks and stfu

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
You can own an apartment...

At her age that won't be easy. I want to believe she's a lock for a senior citizen center spot. But hopefully she has someone that will fill in to take her in.

This entire situation sucks, at her age she may not have any family left but hopefully someone can take her in. At her ago it would damn near be impossible for her to get a loan for a home. No gap insurance given to centenarians.

I'm really curious about her family if any of them exist? Why would a lady that old be living by herself? I'm asking because this is not the norm for black people. Black people usually take care of their elders.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
At her age that won't be easy. I want to believe she's a lock for a senior citizen center spot. But hopefully she has someone that will fill in to take her in.

This entire situation sucks, at her age she may not have any family left but hopefully someone can take her in. At her ago it would damn near be impossible for her to get a loan for a home. No gap insurance given to centenarians.

I'm really curious about her family if any of them exist? Why would a lady that old be living by herself? I'm asking because this is not the norm for black people. Black people usually take care of their elders.
She coulda owned it for the last 50 yrs

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
She coulda owned it for the last 50 yrs

You assume much, you're assuming she's lived a normal prosperous life filled with good jobs, family and friends. You don't any of know that.

You can't even be assured your life will be better in 20 years. The fact is there's no guarantee what you have today you'll have tomorrow.

Think about it!

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Property taxes are cheaper than paying rent in many cities. That's why I keep telling my friends (who are in their 50's) and still renting apartments they are dumb. You don't want to hit retirement paying rent anywhere.

Dr. Truth

QUACK!
BGOL Investor
Property taxes are cheaper than paying rent in many cities. That's why I keep telling my friends (who are in their 50's) and still renting apartments they are dumb. You don't want to hit retirement paying rent anywhere.
To be fair in Places like California and New York it ain’t that easy to just buy a crib unless you want to live in Barstow or Binghamton .

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor

Exactly! @Dannyblueyes on some retarded shit. The tax man, utility man isn't going to give you a break, but you have to give a break to a tenant? Because based on his flawed logic (he assumes) the property owner is flush with money, so they can afford to carry whatever financial burden hits them?

I'm guessing old Danny works for free:rolleyes:

Dr. Truth

QUACK!
BGOL Investor
Exactly! @Dannyblueyes on some retarded shit. The tax man, utility man isn't going to give you a break, but you have to give a break to a tenant? Because based on his flawed logic (he assumes) the property owner is flush with money, so they can afford to carry whatever financial burden hits them?

Danny is a broke ass cac failure pretend DJ/ Uber Driver/Toddler birthday Balloon maker.

Always got advice for us poor Black folks but he can’t even get his pathetic cac life together. I don’t take finance advice from Uber drivers

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You assume much, you're assuming she's lived a normal prosperous life filled with good jobs, family and friends. You don't any of know that.

You can't even be assured your life will be better in 20 years. The fact is there's no guarantee what you have today you'll have tomorrow.

Think about it!
This whole thread is assumptions, whats your point?

The original poster i quoted assumed maybe she didn't want the hassles maintaining a house , i said she could have also owned an apartment. Nothing to think about .

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
This whole thread is assumptions, whats your point?

The original poster i quoted assumed maybe she didn't want the hassles maintaining a house , i said she could have also owned an apartment. Nothing to think about .

This thread is not about assumptions. Unless someone has stepped up to assist her, this thread is about a old 102 year old lady about to possibly be thrown onto the streets. There can be no other subject here. This woman has lived over 100 years and some of you are marginalizing her life with assumptions. How long is she to wait for someone who gives a damn? 102 is not enough?

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This thread is not about assumptions. Unless someone has stepped up to assist her, this thread is about a old 102 year old lady about to possibly be thrown onto the streets. There can be no other subject here. This woman has lived over 100 years and some of you are marginalizing her life with assumptions. How long is she to wait for someone who gives a damn? 102 is not enough?
The assumptions are about why she rents vs owns. Quote me on where i said anything about the eviction situation . Stop being stupid

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor

Wrong,

I'm saying that if your tenant is fulfilling the terms of their lease you don't get to toss them on the street for someone who pays more money. It may be your house but it's still their home.

I don't work for free, but if I've agreed to play a party for $400 I don't get to cancel if someone else offers me $800 for the same night. If the party has an unknowable cost that $400 doesn't cover then too bad. It's my fault for charging too little, not being prepared, and filling the date too early.

Same applies to landlords.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Wrong,

I'm saying that if your tenant is fulfilling the terms of their lease you don't get to toss them on the street for someone who pays more money. It may be your house but it's still their home.

She was on a month to month lease? Or did you miss that part?

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
The assumptions are about why she rents vs owns. Stop being stupid

You are the one being stupid. Your assuming again. Who said she had a choice in this matter and why she rents vs owns is not important. All we know is what the article stated. We know nothing about this woman's past. Considering her age it's possible she's never made over 20K in a year. So speculations and assumptions add nothing to resolve her situation.

How she's ended up this way is not important. That lady needs help from family or friends or she'll be in serious trouble.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
I don't work for free, but if I've agreed to play a party for $400 I don't get to cancel if someone else offers me $800 for the same night. If the party has an unknowable cost that $400 doesn't cover then too bad. It's my fault for charging too little, not being prepared, and filling the date too early.

Your anology doesn't even make sense here.

You are being hired to work an event, the person who hires you can cancel your contract for the night and hire a cheaper DJ. That scenario applies to this situation, not the one you just mentioned. And that's completely within their right.

Last edited:

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
She was on a month to month lease? Or did you miss that part?

I caught that. And to be fair the landlord followed state law to the letter. But it's still a shitty law. A month to month lease means that as long as the rent is paid up and the proper notice is given the tenant can move out without penality. It should not mean that a landlord can toss a tenant at will.

That's not just my opinion. It's the reason why almost every other surrounding country in Los Angeles would have given Ms Smith protections that her county didn't.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Your anology doesn't even make sense here.

You are being hired to work an event, the person who hires you can cancel your contract for the night and hire a cheaper DJ. That scenario applies to this situation, not the one you just mentioned. And that's completely within their right.

I have a contract that prevents clients from doing that unless they give me at least a week's notice. It gives me time to fill that slot with someone else.

As for my scenario, 30 years ago people were leaving the city in droves. Now that people are moving back rents are skyrocketing. Landlords are seeing dollar signs and using every dirty trick in the book to boot out the people who stuck with them through the bad times.

And if I want my sister, cousin or niece move in that's too bad. That's the risk of being a renter with no savings or assets. Kick rocks and stfu

Except that this is a classic dodge that landlords try to use to get rid of low rent tenants. Move a relative in, have them move out a month later, and double the rental price.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
To be fair in Places like California and New York it ain’t that easy to just buy a crib unless you want to live in Barstow or Binghamton .

They have no money down programs. You have to jump through hoops, but it can be done. There is a thread on BGOL about it.

Wrong,

As a landlord the property is mine and if my son or daughter is about to be homeless the tenants have to get the fuck out. Its always been like this.

Shit what if as the landlord I lose my primary residence? Am I supposed to stay on the streets so my tenant can live comfortably? Should I sacrifice my family and well being to take care of them?

You want the landlord to be the bigger person and look out all the time, but most of the time the tenants are the ones that trash your place and bounce leaving you the bill. They don't care if you fuck up their credit cause they feel it doesn't matter in the long run.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
They have no money down programs. You have to jump through hoops, but it can be done. There is a thread on BGOL about it.

As a landlord the property is mine and if my son or daughter is about to be homeless the tenants have to get the fuck out. Its always been like this.

Shit what if as the landlord I lose my primary residence? Am I supposed to stay on the streets so my tenant can live comfortably? Should I sacrifice my family and well being to take care of them?

You want the landlord to be the bigger person and look out all the time, but most of the time the tenants are the ones that trash your place and bounce leaving you the bill. They don't care if you fuck up their credit cause they feel it doesn't matter in the long run.

You do make some good points. There are a lot of horrible tenants out there. On the other hand, I've also seen how bad things can get when you have a truly horrible landlord. Right now, does developers in my community that are trying to check out about a thousand people for no other reason then they can get other people to pay more money for the land.

theres also plenty of people that ended up on the street because prior to 2008 they bought a house that they truly couldn't afford. It's understandable why some people might choose to rent and invest their money elsewhere.

It's a complicated issue and honestly I don't have all the answers. all I can say for certain is that the current system doesn't work for the tenant or the landlord.

And yes, you should be able to take possession of the house if you need a place to live. Same for your relatives, but how do you create a system where landlords can't abuse that clause to squeeze more money out of their tenants?