"A Frankenstein monster created by white supremacy racists" - Craig Hodges sounded off on Michael Jordan when he denied joining him

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1728aed552daddaab01c4e5fc5bcd7bc.jpg

Michael Jordan wasn't just a star on the court from the moment he stepped into the NBA; he was also the most profitable and endorsement-worthy player from a business standpoint. From Coca-Cola to Gatorade to Chevrolet to McDonald's, His Airness became the face of numerous endorsements; however, none gave him as much success as Nike.

With Nike, his 'Air Jordan' brand became a global fashion and luxury statement. Interestingly, had it been for his former teammate and social activist - Craig Hodges, Jordan might have parted ways with Nike right before winning his first NBA championship.

With a vision to benefit the Black Community and offer long-term jobs to them, Hodges proposed Jordan start his own shoe brand. However, when the six-time Finals MVP declined, the 6'2" point guard grew so disappointed that he referred to Mike as a 'Frankenstein Monster' created by 'Supermaxy Racists.'

Why did Jordan decline Hodges' idea?​

Hodges held strong views on politics, racial issues, and social activism and tended to be outspoken and blunt on these matters, which many believe led to him being blackballed by the NBA.

When Mike's contract renewal with Nike was approaching, the 2-time NBA Champ pitched the idea to the former to start his own shoe brand, leveraging his immense and growing popularity. The goal was to employ individuals from the Black Community instead of exploiting cheap labor from China and other Asian countries, providing permanent jobs to those who were unemployed or were selling drugs out on the streets.

"I tell the brother, look, we can get the factory for a dollar," Hodges said during his interview with DJ Vlad. "We can make the means of production from production from Asia, and all the rubber is coming under the feet from black people. You don't think we can match those things together, and now we have a ready-made workforce standing on the corner selling dope."

While Craig foresaw Mike's destined popularity, the 14-time All-Star wasn't sold on the idea. Ironically, he believed no one would remember him in the next 10 years.

Hodges was displeased by Jordan​

At the time, the six-time NBA champion was uncertain about his legacy and had everything to prove on the court. Eventually, he accomplished his goals, becoming arguably the biggest sporting icon and transforming the Air Jordan brand into a billion-dollar entity. However, to Hodges, Mike was nothing but a monster consumed by the greed of making money at any cost.

"MJ is a Frankenstein monster created by white supremacy racists who have made that into a model that's able to be consumed by the world under a Black face," Hodges concluded.

Hodges' discontent with MJ likely extended beyond that shoe brand incident. He had also asked both Mike and Magic Johnson to boycott Game 1 of the 1991 NBA Finals in the wake of Rodney King's incident involving the LAPD, which had occurred just three months before. That attempt, too, was unsuccessful.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

smoovejazz

Rising Star
Platinum Member
All this hate while talking to Vladimir
Smh

I caught that too. Vlad is not a good vehicle for Black people. He tried to make us look bad, while laughing all the way to the bank. I didn't watch the video.

I heard Craig Hodges talking about his book on Dr. Wilmer Leon''s "Inside the Issues" on SiriusXM some time ago. He was able to break it down fully there.

thundercat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dont confuse truth with hate.

And dont have more criticism for a blacklisted old man than you do the sellout rich coon who abandoned him.

Abandoned him? Craig Hodges is a grown ass man.

Question though. What makes MJ a sellout coon? We toss that phrase around with ease these days, so I’m curious.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
I said this early this year or the end of last year in another thread. It seems like whenever someone criticizes Jordan that person gets called a hater,being bitter and etc.It seems like every athlete can be criticized except for Jordan. It's like people are blinded by his greatness but ignore the criticisms that his former teammates has. Are some former teammates jealous and bitter, probably but I don't think it's all of them either.

Like,I said then I enjoyed the documentary but I do find it funny that it was advertised as a Bulls documentary but it turned into a Michael Jordan love fest. I understand he was their best player but I was under the impression that the documentary was about the team and not the player.

Instead of criticizing these former teammates that has a problem with Jordan;how about taking a listen to what they have to say about him. And,folks like Coon Smith and Skip Clueless are the worse because they will defend Jordan,no matter what.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Abandoned him? Craig Hodges is a grown ass man.
What does his age have to do with being left, ignored, and discarded by someone he considered a friend and associate?
Question though. What makes MJ a sellout coon? We toss that phrase around with ease these days, so I’m curious.
Being a corporate whore, a puppet to white Jew executives, never publicly speaking on social or racial issues, and never using his influence or platform to serve or represent interests of his community.

thundercat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What does his age have to do with being left, ignored, and discarded by someone he considered a friend and associate?

Never ask a man to risk more than you are. It’s a novel idea when it’s coming from the cat that doesn’t have billions of dollars on the line. That’s not what Mike wanted to do, but we can’t just respect his business sense, right? Nobody in their right mind would’ve done that….nobody.

Being a corporate whore, a puppet to white Jew executives, never publicly speaking on social or racial issues, and never using his influence or platform to serve or represent interests of his community.

That’s fair.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Never ask a man to risk more than you are. It’s a novel idea when it’s coming from the cat that doesn’t have billions of dollars on the line. That’s not what Mike wanted to do, but we can’t just respect his business sense, right? Nobody in their right mind would’ve done that….nobody.
Cant say nobody would have done it when Hodges did. Also, a billion wasnt on the line and asking him to merely contribute or participate wasnt as extreme as you are making it to be. Either way, my original point was to not be overly critical of Hodges giving his story while being overly protective of a guy who has ZERO track record of any real grassroots involvement and who probably wouldnt piss on you if you were on fire.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
i guess I mean I havent seen MJ stand for anything....theres been a ALOT of social/racial issues in the last 40 years and MJ hasnt made any position known.....he's our generations OJ...when you really look at it.
During Philando Castile protests the coward bitch donated 1 million to the NAACP and 1 million to police unions. The most pussified "both sides" milktoast shit one could do.

thundercat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cant say nobody would have done it when Hodges did. Also, a billion wasnt on the line and asking him to merely contribute or participate wasnt as extreme as you are making it to be. Either way, my original point was to not be overly critical of Hodges giving his story while being overly protective of a guy who has ZERO track record of any real grassroots involvement and who probably wouldnt piss on you if you were on fire.

Why do you say a billion wasn't on the line? Becoming the first billionaire athlete was always a goal for MJ. And anybody with a shred of common sense and foresight would realize what Craig Hodges was suggesting at the time ran counter to MJ's goal.

Again, we always want people with a lot to lose to risk it for causes that we believe in more than they do. It's insanity. It'd be one thing if MJ had agreed to do it and reneged, but are we really bothered that MJ had zero interest in doing a bad business deal? Because at the end of the day, that's what it was.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I said this early this year or the end of last year in another thread. It seems like whenever someone criticizes Jordan that person gets called a hater,being bitter and etc.It seems like every athlete can be criticized except for Jordan. It's like people are blinded by his greatness but ignore the criticisms that his former teammates has. Are some former teammates jealous and bitter, probably but I don't think it's all of them either.

Like,I said then I enjoyed the documentary but I do find it funny that it was advertised as a Bulls documentary but it turned into a Michael Jordan love fest. I understand he was their best player but I was under the impression that the documentary was about the team and not the player.

Instead of criticizing these former teammates that has a problem with Jordan;how about taking a listen to what they have to say about him. And,folks like Coon Smith and Skip Clueless are the worse because they will defend Jordan,no matter what.
thats what happens when the player exec produces the documentary.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor

That’s fair.
Most people here are just talking shit until their money is on the line. Look at where it got Craig Hodges... Forgotten.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Most people here are just talking shit until their money is on the line. Look at where it got Craig Hodges... Forgotten.
who has ever lodged or tied to do a meaningful protest/raise awareness of a real social and saw personal success in their personal dreams?? or lived??

thundercat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
who has ever lodged or tied to do a meaningful protest/raise awareness of a real social and saw personal success in their personal dreams?? or lived??

Then why do you expect Michael Jordan to be a martyr when you just acknowledged that he would've had to sacrifice his person dreams to a cause that wasn't even his?