AT&T bout to raise prices for DirecTV Now streaming service

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
AT&T is increasing DirecTV Now prices by $10 per month
Since 2016, the price has doubled and number of channels has been cut in half.

Christine Fisher, @cfisherwrites

dims

If you subscribe to AT&T's DirecTV Now, keep an eye on your bill -- prices are going up again. Last July, AT&T increased the cost of its live TV streaming bundles by $5 per month. And according to Variety, beginning in April, AT&T will add another $10 per month. That means the cost of a monthly subscription has gone up more than 40 percent in less than one year. In addition to the price changes, AT&T will streamline its DirecTV Now plans offering just two, rather than its current five (though existing customers will not be kicked out of their packages).

When DirecTV Now launched in 2016, it offered more than 100 live streaming channels for $35 per month. Prices have been steadily increasing since. When these new changes go into effect, the company will offer DirecTV Now Plus at $50 per month for 40-plus channels and DirectTV Now Max at $70 per month for 50-plus channels. So not only will you be paying more, you'll be getting less. The current base package offers 65-plus channels for $40 per month. Perhaps a small consolation, the new packages will include HBO, which was a $5 add-on in the past.

AT&T is not the only live streaming TV provider creeping up its fees. This seems to be a trend as companies figure out a price point that works. Hulu recently increased its live TV option by $5 per month, making Hulu + Live TV $45 for 60-plus channels. YouTube TV, which announced nationwide coverage in January, is still just $40 per month for more than 70 channels. Though, neither Hulu or YouTube currently offer HBO, so they're probably not great options if you're impatiently awaiting the final season of Game of Thrones.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/11...m7eG0NhV9dVhpqU7KjoBcj-hWRq0bQXe1QBP-VyJyBm44

Time for me to start looking at alternative services. I know I can use SimplyTV and other underground options but I like having at least something as my base tv option that I know will be consistent.

Petey Wheatstraw

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Those bastards tried to get me. I called them tonight and told them I'm going to cancel my service. It went up to $258 a month. F that. they reduced it to $160 for the everything and the guy told me to call back in six months. to cancel or ask for a new package.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Those bastards tried to get me. I called them tonight and told them I'm going to cancel my service. It went up to $258 a month. F that. they reduced it to $160 for the everything and the guy told me to call back in six months. to cancel or ask for a new package.
I'm assuming that's for regular Directv service. I left that & opted for the DirecTV Now streaming service as a much cheaper alternative. I might consider Youtube TV but they don't have the HGTV or DIY channels

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I got them when they came out in 2016 and haven't looked back since. Shitty service when it came out but drastically improved when v2.0 of the app was released. Considering I was paying double for regular DirectTV, this is a major win. They've only charged me $20 for the last 3 months so I'm guessing they're giving me a discount before they raise the price :dunno:

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
im getting real sick of having to do that.. .. always having to call and renegotiate. just give me a fair price and leave me the fuck alone... if they did that they could fire the whole retention dept and save millions

Philli

Rising Star
Registered
Time for me to start looking at alternative services. I know I can use SimplyTV and other underground options but I like having at least something as my base tv option that I know will be consistent.

Simply TV has been about 90% consistent for me since it debuted in July/August. I will take that all day everyday at $20 a month. They also add dozens of movies and full seasons of current and old shows weekly to their on demand content. Last month they add every season of Martin.

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
im getting real sick of having to do that.. .. always having to call and renegotiate. just give me a fair price and leave me the fuck alone... if they did that they could fire the whole retention dept and save millions

This.com...greed a muffucka brah

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Everybody is jacking up their prices in anticipation of Disney’s new streaming services and content.

Netflix jacks up their price next month.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
They suck all you cord cutters in with those cheap prices and they gradually hit you over the head. Netflix was once 7.99 now it’s damn near 20 bucks a month

I think clay Davis called it the long hustle vs the short hustle

If i didn't know better?

I think this is all going according to plan...

Cause all these services come included with cable packages .

So if you already paying for cable, all these cable apps included.

I cut the dvr cut down my package only have one cable box the other tvs are fire or roku.

Prime got tv, Netflix and because of the basic tv package i got access to most apps, plus bgol subscription.

I actually like HULU, thats only 6 a month.

And my Netflix free cause the family just decided to share my cousin's and hers is free for whatever reason.

So I'm good

Im trying to get it even lower if possible but only DISNEY guaranteed in getting my app $$ in the near future.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Post of the night

:cheers:

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
If i didn't know better?

I think this is all going according to plan...

Cause all these services come included with cable packages .

So if you already paying for cable, all these cable apps included.

I cut the dvr cut down my package only have one cable box the other tvs are fire or roku.

Prime got tv, Netflix and because of the basic tv package i got access to most apps, plus bgol subscription.

I actually like HULU, thats only 6 a month.

And my Netflix free cause the family just decided to share my cousin's and hers is free for whatever reason.

So I'm good

Im trying to get it even lower if possible but only DISNEY guaranteed in getting my app $$ in the near future.
Messed up part about it is they all have different programming. That’s how they suck you in.

My kids want to get the Disney service I told them to get a job

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
They suck all you cord cutters in with those cheap prices and they gradually hit you over the head. Netflix was once 7.99 now it’s damn near 20 bucks a month

I think clay Davis called it the long hustle vs the short hustle
free streaming sites never fooled me... If somebody gave me free tix to the movies and some company was trying to sell me $3 movie tix guess who I'm going with? That's right free... Since free been out why the hell would I search for pay... Slowly convincing others to love that free tix

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
or you could stop watching tv......

thats the plan im on

Throwback

https://www.bgol.us/forum/threads/why-are-people-so-impressed-with-those-who-dont-watch-tv.654029/
:lol:I hear you bro but I always tell my kids to call rhek becsuse your new family ain’t going to treat you no where near as good as I do

Btw how much is that Disney service to be

:lol:

Oh hell no, im not gonna win that.

But NOBODY knows yet

I think as awesome as the library will be?

That FIRST price is CRITICAL

I have no idea @tallblacknyc is better at predicting such things

But it all depends on the library...

If they try to bully all the apps

Like offer live tv and access to HULU?

With the ENTIRE DISNEY LIBRARY?

and its under $20 a month?

I think thats a game breaker

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
I got in when they first launched and it was $35/month for the largest package. Then they slapped $5/month on it and I was cool with it.

With this increase, I’ll be dropping and getting whatever streaming package is cheap enough to get me access to the Fox Sports and ESPN streaming apps. Kid only watches Netflix and I only watch ESPN so nah, I left cable to avoid the constant price shifting.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I got in when they first launched and it was $35/month for the largest package. Then they slapped $5/month on it and I was cool with it.

With this increase, I’ll be dropping and getting whatever streaming package is cheap enough to get me access to the Fox Sports and ESPN streaming apps. Kid only watches Netflix and I only watch ESPN so nah, I left cable to avoid the constant price shifting.

Boom

I don't know what the hell they doing.

Constant service and price changes?

Its like they in cahoots with cable and DELIBERATELY messing up this cord cutting movement

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
I've seen no reduction in channels in fact just the opposite. But I've seen a major reduction in DirecTV's quality of service. Its gotten so bad I'm thinking of going back to Comcast when I move.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
All these streaming services gonna mess around and kill the golden goose before it lays any eggs

Hell...

Its cheaper to just have cable.

I’m noticing it too with all these streaming sites.

You start adding them up, they are equaling the same price as cable with less content.

Cable and Satellite might see a resurgence if shit keeps going the way it is with prices.