Baseball.........Anybody still interested?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

How MLB finally ended its Angel Hernandez problem​

By
Social Links forJustin Tasch
Published May 28, 2024, 10:30 a.m. ET
Up Next - Polarizing umpire Angel Hernandez immediately retiring from MLB

Up Next - Polarizing umpire Angel Hernandez immediately retiring from MLBclose

angel-hernandez-retired-how-mlb-finally-ended-umpires-tenure
Pirates @ Tigers - MLB Betting Preview Game Betting-preview for May 29, 2024 12:40
1:32
arrow_back_ios_new
arrow_forward_ios
MLB had apparently seen enough, and Angel Hernandez was seemingly willing to walk away for the right price.

SEE ALSO​

Angel Hernandez

The top-10 worst Angel Hernandez calls in MLB history​

The 62-year-old and MLB worked out a financial settlement that resulted in the controversial umpire walking away from the league after more than 30 years, according to multiple reports.
MLB approached Hernandez earlier this season about potentially retiring, according to The Athletic, and USA Today reported the two sides spent the last two weeks negotiating the settlement.
Hernandez’s lawyer, Kevin Murphy, told The Athletic in a text message, “He was NOT forced out.”

Hernandez, who last worked an MLB game on May 9, confirmed Monday night that he was retiring.
“Starting with my first Major League game in 1991, I have had the very good experience of living out my childhood dream of umpiring in the major leagues,” Hernandez said in a statement. “There is nothing better than working at a profession that you enjoy. I treasured the camaraderie of my colleagues and the friendships I have made along the way, including our locker room attendants in all the various cities.
MLB umpire Angel Hernandez (l.), seen here during an argument with Brewers manager Pat Murphy on April 16, 2024, announced his retirement on Monday.
MLB umpire Angel Hernandez (l.), seen here during an argument with Brewers manager Pat Murphy on April 16, 2024, announced his retirement on Monday.AP

“I have decided that I want to spend more time with my family. Needless to say, there have been many positive changes in the game of baseball since I first entered the profession. This includes the expansion and promotion of minorities. I am proud that I was able to be an active participant in that goal while being a Major League umpire.”
Hernandez has been the subject of criticism by players and fans for bad calls, with his strike zone as a home-plate umpire often being the source of frustration.
Yankees manager Aaron Boone argues with umpire Angel Hernandez on April 7, 2024.
Yankees manager Aaron Boone argues with umpire Angel Hernandez on April 7, 2024.Bill Kostroun for the NY Post
He filed a lawsuit against MLB in 2017 in which he alleged he had not become a crew chief and did not receive World Series assignments because of his race.

He also alleged Joe Torre, who was working in baseball operations in the commissioner’s office, held animosity toward him dating back to his days as Yankees manager.

The lawsuit was tossed in 2021, and a federal appeals court denied Hernandez’s request to reinstate the case last year.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Angel Hernandez’s ugly reputation wasn’t only reason for his downfall​

By
Social Links forMike Vaccaro
Published May 28, 2024, 1:30 p.m. ET

Up Next - Polarizing umpire Angel Hernandez immediately retiring from MLBclose

“From the benches, black with people
There went up a muffled roar
Like the beating of the storm-waves
On a stern and distant shore;
“KILL HIM! KILL THE UMPIRE!”
Shouted someone on the stand;
And it’s likely they’d have killed him
Had not Casey raised his hand …”

– Ernest Lawrence
Thayer
Some years ago, I asked a major league manager I’d come to know well about the umpire Angel Hernandez.
“You see he’s working a series, you know he’s gonna f–k you once, and he’s probably gonna f–k you a few more times after that,” he said. “You just pray to God that the f–king doesn’t come in the ninth inning and cost you a ballgame.”
MLB umpire Angel Hernandez (r.) has retired. 3
MLB umpire Angel Hernandez (r.) has retired.AP
Tuesday morning, I reached out to that same fellow and asked if he’d like to amend that observation to commemorate Hernandez’s retirement from baseball.

“It’s a long game,” he said. “Sooner or later he was gonna f–k you out of one.”
Here’s the thing, though.
It’s almost certain that Angel Hernandez wasn’t the worst umpire of all time. Hell, he didn’t even come out on top every time when they’d poll players and managers anonymously about who the worst modern-day umpires are.
(Though if he didn’t win, he almost always managed to place or show.)
That was hard to argue Tuesday, though. If you Googled “worst umpires in MLB history,” the first 40 posts were related to Hernandez. Within an hour of the announcement beginning to circulate Monday evening, there were soon more greatest-hits packages of Angel Hernandez than the Rolling Stones, the Eagles and Billy Joel put together.
But it was Hernandez who had the misfortune of being, for three decades, the consensus worst umpire in the game at a time when every pitch — literally every single pitch — was available on video. And every time you would see a tweet or a TikTok that began “you won’t believe this call” … well, before you ever clicked you knew there was a good chance Angel Hernandez’s name was going to be there.
We can assume that, say, Nestor Chylak and Ron Luciano blew their share of easy calls — and we know this because there really is grainy video of Billy Martin and Earl Weaver coming especially unglued as the result of those calls. There are 10 umpires (including Chylak) in the Hall of Fame; we’ll have to take it on faith that Cal Hubbard and Jocko Conlan and Hank O’Day probably had inconsistent strike zones once in a while.
Yankees manager Aaron Boone argues with umpire Angel Hernandez on April 7, 2024. 3
Yankees manager Aaron Boone argues with umpire Angel Hernandez on April 7, 2024.Bill Kostroun for the NY Post
We’ll just never know it.
We know every call Hernandez blew. Every one.
And hey: It’s long been a part of attending a baseball game to give umpires hell from the stands. That passage that led the column? “Casey at the Bat” was written in 1882, what we consider a far more genteel time, with spectators wearing coats and ties and bowler caps, women bringing parasols along on hot days. And even they wanted to kill the umpire.

Eight years ago, Noah Syndergaard threw behind Chase Utley at Citi Field and was ejected from the game; what’s best known about that is the famous “ass in the jackpot” blowup between Mets manager Terry Collins and umpire Tom Hallion. It’s a priceless and hilarious piece of video. But I was there that night, in the stands, and for a long uncomfortable while it seemed the fans in the stands … well, actually wanted to kill Hallion.
(Update: They did not. The Dodgers won the game 9-1. After a while, most of the fight was drained out of the fans.)
Other sports have refs that make fans wince when they see them. Scott Foster is a fine NBA ref who is also called “The Extender” because his reputation is that if the NBA “wants” a series to last a game or two longer, he’s the man for the job. Rangers fans have an APB out for NHL ref Kelly Sutherland.
The late Rollie Massimino told me a story once of losing a game early in his career and getting jobbed for 40 minutes by the refs, being so angry he walked the mile back to the team hotel … only to arrive to see those same refs sharing a pitcher of cheer with the home coach and AD, after which he tore up his hotel room like he was a member of Led Zeppelin.
Kyle Schwarber of the Phillies argues with umpire Angel Hernandez on April 24, 2022. 3
Kyle Schwarber of the Phillies argues with umpire Angel Hernandez on April 24, 2022.AP
What do you think? Post a comment.
(EDITOR’S NOTE: this may or may not have happened at St. Bonaventure.)
So: No. Angel Hernandez wasn’t alone in being terrible at the job of adjudicating sporting events. And also: No, he will not be missed, not by fans, probably not by his fellow umps, since he might have been singularly responsible for the robo-umps that’ll soon be a part of the game. He did have the great misfortune of being bad at his job at a moment in time when everyone could see just how bad he was. Tough luck.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

SNY Mets crew gives unceremonious sendoff to Angel Hernandez​

By
Christian Arnold
Published May 29, 2024, 10:22 p.m. ET

Baseball fans have seemingly been more than happy to celebrate the retirement of umpire Angel Hernández gleefully, and SNY’s Mets broadcast team got in on the action during the Mets loss to the Dodgers on Wednesday.
Coming back from the break after the second inning, Gary Cohen mentioned the retirement of Hernández poking fun at how universally disliked he was throughout baseball.
“We no longer have Ángel Hernández to kick around,” Cohen said.

That prompted Analyst Ron Darling to push back “we didn’t really kick him around, did we?”

Cohen responded that he felt everyone did.

“Is he going to make a ‘Checkers Speech’?” Keith Hernandez jumped in to say, which elicited laughter from Cohen.
The comment was a reference to a speech by then-Sen. Richard Nixon gave in 1952 to deny that he had misused political funds where he also mentioned his dog named Checkers.
The now-former umpire announced his retirement in a statement on Monday night after USA Today had broke the news.
Angel Hernandez announced his retirement this week.
Angel Hernandez announced his retirement this week.AP
The much-criticized Hernandez cited a desire to spend more time with his family as the reason why he was stepping away after a 33-year career as an umpire.
Hernández is often viewed as one of the the worst umpires in baseball by fans, players and media and he has not worked a game since May 9.
“I’ve never seen more reaction to an umpire calling it quits than the announcement that Ángel Hernández was retiring from umpiring,” Cohen said during Wednesday’s broadcast. “I mean, there are a lot of not-very-good umpires. He was just one of them.”
Gary Cohen and Ron Darling gave their thoughts on Angel Hernandez.
Gary Cohen and Ron Darling gave their thoughts on Angel Hernandez.AP

While Hernández has plenty of detractors, he did find some support in former ump Joe West during an appearance on 670 The Score in Chicago on Tuesday.

“Whether you want to believe it or not, he was good at it,” West said on the “Parkins & Spiegel Show.”

West called the ripping of Hernández over the years unfair and added that critics didn’t “know what they’re talking about.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Angel Hernandez has Joe West’s support after polarizing ump’s shocking retirement​

By
Social Links forAndrew Battifarano
Published May 28, 2024, 11:30 p.m. ET

tznhoh8qkmb9put43ynk3zvxmhralj28.jpg

umpire-joe-west-defends-angel-hernandez-after-retirement
Polarizing umpire Angel Hernandez immediately retiring from MLB

Angel Hernandez has at least one person in his corner.

The Major League Baseball umpire, who has often been criticized for his calls on the field, is retiring this week after more than 30 years of calling games at the highest level.

Despite facing rebuke from fans, coaches and players throughout his career, Hernandez, 62, has a defender in ex-MLB umpire Joe West.
West, a big league umpire for 43 seasons, joined 670 The Score in Chicago on Tuesday, and he said that Hernandez was more than adequate at his job.

“Whether you want to believe it or not, he was good at it,” West said on the “Parkins & Spiegel Show.”

Angel Hernandez #5 makes an out call in the 9th inning. 3
Angel Hernandez is retiring from his MLB umpiring gig.Charles Wenzelberg/New York Post

Hernandez, on Monday, confirmed he was retiring to spend more time with his family.

According to Umpire Scorecards, Hernandez ranked in the 22nd percentile in accuracy and in the 21st in consistency, and with that, he faced plenty of criticism online, which West felt was unfair.

“I hate the fact that these people that sit behind a desk and get behind a computer and send out all these social media things, they don’t know what they’re talking about,” West added.

Joe West 3
Joe West defended Angel Hernandez’s career.AP

In 2017, Hernandez, who is Cuban American, filed a racial discrimination lawsuit against MLB, claiming that his race played a role in him not getting plum World Series and full-time crew chief assignments.

He had not worked a World Series since 2005.

The case was dismissed four years later and upheld by an appeals court in 2023.

MLB argued that Hernandez had not performed well enough at his job to get those plush assignments.

West claimed on the radio show that Hernandez graded well among the league’s other umpires.

“I know the lawyer that handled his case, and I know that when they went through everything that he was graded on, he was in the top 20 percent [of umpires],” West said.

Aaron Boone (17) argues a call by umpire Angel Hernandez (5) on Yankees second base Gleyber Torres 3
Aaron Boone (17) argues a call by umpire Angel Hernandez (5) on Yankees second base Gleyber Torres.Bill Kostroun/New York Post

Hernandez called his last game on May 9 between the Guardians and White Sox.

A former MLB manager told The Post’s Mike Vaccaro that he believed Hernandez was wont to make mistakes while calling games.

“It’s a long game,” he said. “Sooner of later he was gonna f–k you out of one.”

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Joe West defends retiring Angel Hernandez's performance as an MLB umpire, praises his work in uplifting minorities in the industry

By Parkins & Spiegel Show
670 The Score
May 28, 2024
5:27 pm

(670 The Score) Former MLB umpire Joe West vehemently defended much-maligned and just-retired umpire Angel Hernandez on Tuesday, a day after news broke that Hernandez was leaving the game for good.

“Whether you want to believe it or not, he was good at it,” West said on the Parkins & Spiegel Show.

West’s perspective is rooted in working with Hernandez for years and his understanding of how MLB umpires are graded. As West has pointed out to 670 The Score before, umpires aren’t graded on the electronic strike zone that fans see on television broadcasts.

Hernandez, 62, reached a settlement to leave MLB, according to ESPN and USA Today. Hernandez umpired his first MLB game in 1991. He cited a desire to spend more time with his family for retiring.

“I know the lawyer that handled his case and I know that when they went through everything that he was graded on, he was in the top 20% (of umpires),” West said of Hernandez.

That comment from West was a reference to Hernandez’s lawsuit against MLB alleging racial discrimination, which he filed in 2017. Despite that case losing, it was pivotal because it paved the way for minority umpires to get better opportunities, West said. In the lawsuit, Hernandez alleged racial discrimination, citing the fact that he was passed over for a full-time crew chief role and that he hadn’t worked the World Series since 2005.

At the time the lawsuit was filed, one minority umpire held the distinction of being a crew chief, West said. Since then, six minority umpires have risen to that role, West said.

“His legacy is to help people,” West said of Hernandez.

West also took a moment to vent about those who criticized Hernandez’s missed calls and lowlights on social media.

“I hate the fact that these people that sit behind a desk and get behind a computer and send out all these social media things, they don’t know what they’re talking about,” West said.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Joe West defends retiring Angel Hernandez's performance as an MLB umpire, praises his work in uplifting minorities in the industry

By Parkins & Spiegel Show
670 The Score
May 28, 2024
5:27 pm

(670 The Score) Former MLB umpire Joe West vehemently defended much-maligned and just-retired umpire Angel Hernandez on Tuesday, a day after news broke that Hernandez was leaving the game for good.

“Whether you want to believe it or not, he was good at it,” West said on the Parkins & Spiegel Show.

West’s perspective is rooted in working with Hernandez for years and his understanding of how MLB umpires are graded. As West has pointed out to 670 The Score before, umpires aren’t graded on the electronic strike zone that fans see on television broadcasts.

Hernandez, 62, reached a settlement to leave MLB, according to ESPN and USA Today. Hernandez umpired his first MLB game in 1991. He cited a desire to spend more time with his family for retiring.

“I know the lawyer that handled his case and I know that when they went through everything that he was graded on, he was in the top 20% (of umpires),” West said of Hernandez.

That comment from West was a reference to Hernandez’s lawsuit against MLB alleging racial discrimination, which he filed in 2017. Despite that case losing, it was pivotal because it paved the way for minority umpires to get better opportunities, West said. In the lawsuit, Hernandez alleged racial discrimination, citing the fact that he was passed over for a full-time crew chief role and that he hadn’t worked the World Series since 2005.

At the time the lawsuit was filed, one minority umpire held the distinction of being a crew chief, West said. Since then, six minority umpires have risen to that role, West said.

“His legacy is to help people,” West said of Hernandez.

West also took a moment to vent about those who criticized Hernandez’s missed calls and lowlights on social media.

“I hate the fact that these people that sit behind a desk and get behind a computer and send out all these social media things, they don’t know what they’re talking about,” West said.

giphy.gif

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
They playing good ball fam, I can't even hate.
If they stay healthy they got a great chance to dominate the post season
Need an extra bullpen arm. Dominguez is shakey. I'm already set to beat the livin' shit outta his ass. Starting pitching is the best in baseball. Sanchez has really taken the next step up. Walker can be hit or miss but he's been much more consistent lately.

bCiILu.jpg

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
Need an extra bullpen arm. Dominguez is shakey. I'm already set to beat the livin' shit outta his ass. Starting pitching is the best in baseball. Sanchez has really taken the next step up. Walker can be hit or miss but he's been much more consistent lately.

bCiILu.jpg

True.
All you need now is for Truth and Turd to guarantee a ring and you def gonna get that trophy this year !

:lol2:

BlackRob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bottom 3RD
Pirates 7
LA 0

Pirates are in last place
Wonder if Pirates will keep or trade
If trade could clean out someone's minors
If keep, could have tommy john. with the way he's throwing.