Bernie Sanders - I’m not going to be niggardly about daycare

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I'm on board that this needs to play out bruh... there are candidates I'm watching closely who have really compelling policy prescriptions but attacks like these "he said niggardly in 1982! Racist!" are on some Fox News boomer shit and I can't get with it.

You don't have to convince me that Reparations are a moral necessity. They've been due. It's stunning that this country refuses to even have the conversation but that's where we are politically rn. We're living in a country that pretends there are no systemic or institutional reasons for disparities among black and white people... hell I've read posts from purportedly "black" people here that welfare and "handouts" account for these disparities. Shit is incredible.

Having said all that there are a number of policy ideas that will move us all forward and Bernie happens to champion them. There's nothing wrong with pressuring these candidates to do better, especially during the primaries, but the critique needs to be substantive.

With Reparations he gave the wrong answer and he has a tendency to be dismissive when it comes to race and particularly black issues (See his identity politics misfire) and that is directly tied to me. At the same time his policies would help black people out but reluctance to address black centered issues with gravity and thoughtfulness is a demerit
Julian when asked about reparations didn't say he's for it and will just cut the check. He said its owed and we'll look into it. If Bernie says that there's no issue. But he has a stubborness about him on these topics only where he's really dismissive and I have to take note of that.

Hopefully whoever the person that wins the primary can take the best ideas from each candidate and move forward with ousting Trump

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
He’s also always finding ways to vote against or skip votes on Russian sanctions.

He also panders and protects the gun lobby.

But I’m sure you won’t mind those either. Yet when Trump does these things, I’ve never seen you call them petty.

In order for your critique to make sense here we'd have to pretend that context doesn't matter, that omnibus bills don't exist etc. It's insane to draw some corollary to Trump here and it reeks of desperation.

When Trump voters say “so what he does these things like lie or protect Russia. His policy ideas we agree with so I’m good. All the calling out of lying or affairs or campaign finance violations are petty”

We call them sheep.

But with Bernie... he can do....ANYTHING. And folks will Berniesplain it away.

You could have video of Bernie actually saying ******* and Sharkbait would call it petty.

You're being hysterical now :lol:

The '14 primaries got you in your feelings. I'm a pragmatist and I'll vote for whoever emerges from the Dem primaries but you guys sound shrill af on Bernie lol

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
I'm on board that this needs to play out bruh... there are candidates I'm watching closely who have really compelling policy prescriptions but attacks like these "he said niggardly in 1982! Racist!" are on some Fox News boomer shit and I can't get with it.

You don't have to convince me that Reparations are a moral necessity. They've been due. It's stunning that this country refuses to even have the conversation but that's where we are politically rn. We're living in a country that pretends there are no systemic or institutional reasons for disparities among black and white people... hell I've read posts from purportedly "black" people here that welfare and "handouts" account for these disparities. Shit is incredible.

Having said all that there are a number of policy ideas that will move us all forward and Bernie happens to champion them. There's nothing wrong with pressuring these candidates to do better, especially during the primaries, but the critique needs to be substantive.

I'm all for reparation discussions taking place, it needs to be mainstream. I don't think it will happen though. We are too inconsistent when it comes to voting and every few years we have to start over regaining power because someone gets mad at dems and decides to sit out and let the GOP regain power. Once they get it, they do everything they can to dilute the power of dems.

White liberals got mad at Obama in 2010 and black folks didn't show up to keep a congress that would help Obama pass laws to help. Then Hillary lost thanks to voter suppression, Russia propaganda and all these folks looking for a perfect candidate voting 3rd party. That is 12 years either barely holding the line or going backwards.

This past midterm was the biggest blowout ever and we don't have the seats we should have to show for it because of gerrymandering the GOP did when they had the power. Not to mention all the judges that didn't get appointed that are being filled by Trump and I've been trying to point out the judge issue for years.

NOW you have these folks talking reparations and tangibles and don't have the political power in place to pull it off. These folks advocated sitting out. So we are left with dems who may be receptive to the idea of reparations and hardcore racists on the GOP side because most of the moderates have been ran out of Washington. They have no idea how much further along things would be had Obama been able to implement his ideas and been able to pass laws instead of issue executive orders because of GOP obstruction.

I can tell you what happens next. They are going to make reparations the litmus test for a vote, cause division and let the GOP win again. Then we start the cycle of losing power and having to work to regain seats all over again. We're doing it to ourselves.

sharkbait28

International Member
With Reparations he gave the wrong answer and he has a tendency to be dismissive when it comes to race and particularly black issues (See his identity politics misfire) and that is directly tied to me. At the same time his policies would help black people out but reluctance to address black centered issues with gravity and thoughtfulness is a demerit
Julian when asked about reparations didn't say he's for it and will just cut the check. He said its owed and we'll look into it. If Bernie says that there's no issue. But he has a stubborness about him on these topics only where he's really dismissive and I have to take note of that.

Hopefully whoever the person that wins the primary can take the best ideas from each candidate and move forward with ousting Trump

That's totally fair bruh, I don't love his racial awareness if I'm being honest. He has work to do on this front for sure. He strikes me as a standard politician trying to walk this line of appealing to white working class plebs by disavowing too much "wokeness" but I've become accustomed to that kind of weakness from Dems... here's hoping this improves.

I'm all for reparation discussions taking place, it needs to be mainstream. I don't think it will happen though. We are too inconsistent when it comes to voting and every few years we have to start over regaining power because someone gets mad at dems and decides to sit out and let the GOP regain power. Once they get it, they do everything they can to dilute the power of dems.

White liberals got mad at Obama in 2010 and black folks didn't show up to keep a congress that would help Obama pass laws to help. Then Hillary lost thanks to voter suppression, Russia propaganda and all these folks looking for a perfect candidate voting 3rd party. That is 12 years either barely holding the line or going backwards.

This past midterm was the biggest blowout ever and we don't have the seats we should have to show for it because of gerrymandering the GOP did when they had the power. Not to mention all the judges that didn't get appointed that are being filled by Trump and I've been trying to point out the judge issue for years.

NOW you have these folks talking reparations and tangibles and don't have the political power in place to pull it off. These folks advocated sitting out. So we are left with dems who may be receptive to the idea of reparations and hardcore racists on the GOP side because most of the moderates have been ran out of Washington. They have no idea how much further along things would be had Obama been able to implement his ideas and been able to pass laws instead of issue executive orders because of GOP obstruction.

I can tell you what happens next. They are going to make reparations the litmus test for a vote, cause division and let the GOP win again. Then we start the cycle of losing power and having to work to regain seats all over again. We're doing it to ourselves.

Agreed on all points. I'll go even further and say an idea like reparations requires a kind of grassroots movement (including high level academic discourse, ground level activism, media saturation, memes lol) over a period of years to become politically tenable This notion that it will be decided over the course of a Democratic primary in the backdrop of a social/political white anger renaissance (MAGA and overt white nationalism) is naive in the extreme.

Any movement towards redressing racial inequality needs to gather momentum and consensus from below before it will enter the political discourse in a meaningful way. I understand the criticisms levied against Bernie on this front but it goes beyond his candidacy.

Big Tex

Earth is round..gravity is real
BGOL Investor
In order for your critique to make sense here we'd have to pretend that context doesn't matter, that omnibus bills don't exist etc. It's insane to draw some corollary to Trump here and it reeks of desperation.

You're being hysterical now :lol:

The '14 primaries got you in your feelings. I'm a pragmatist and I'll vote for whoever emerges from the Dem primaries but you guys sound shrill af on Bernie lol

Just like I said. There is nothing, NOTHING, Bernie could do that you wouldn’t try to explain away. To point out that MAGA folks do the same thing ic completly relevant and your lack of any rebuttal is very telling.

sharkbait28

International Member
Just like I said. There is nothing, NOTHING, Bernie could do that you wouldn’t try to explain away. To point out that MAGA folks do the same thing ic completly relevant and your lack of any rebuttal is very telling.

You argue like a Fox boomer man lol. Ofc there are things Bernie could do that would turn me away... I don't even know that he's my number one choice in this current field of Dem candidates.

I just hate this stupid notion of characterizing dude as some villain when he has consistently articulated some very moral positions over a pretty long period of time (especially in the context of "politician"). I'm not sure that even you believe the bullshit you're peddling here tbh.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Dude is done, and I wasted a vote. Damn, white folks gonna be white folks I guess. I get his point, but that is a terrible language choice. Also the recovery of past mistakes makes personal growth in the internet era pretty difficult.

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I remember when this white cat who was either CFO or comptroller for the DC City government used that word to describe a budget situation and everyone was up in arms. The DC Mayor (I can't remember who it was at the time but this was after Marion Berry was not mayor anymore) asked him to resign. Then he got his job back after it was explained what the word meant in that context.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
I actually mostly agree.

But you have to admit for someone who LOVES to talk about his civil rights activities

Would he would use THAT word in front of ANY of those involved?

I'm not fan anyway, just don't like him something about him just doesn't sit right.

I know the word, i would argue most educated people do. And even in grade school knew white kids loved to try to use it in class.

I don't care WHEN he said it, it was NEVER acceptable.

This not even like greenberg saying martin luther coon, which will be on his damn obituary by the way.

Yeah its just a word and I'd probably let it slide from someone else, maybe

But i just have to be honest.

I don't like it. I'll never forget it.

But I'd vote for him over trump, which aint saying much.
Two points:
1. You're a cool poster but you're very obviously in a bubble re: Greenberg. I don't know where you hang out to think that will be in his obituary but it's not even going to be mentioned outside of forums like BGOL.

2. After I replied to your first post, I thought, "it's very telling that he began 'so a man who is supposedly so smart' because this is overwhelmingly just fodder for people who don't like him already." So I appreciate the "its just a word and I'd probably let it slide from someone else" honesty.

Princenubian

Rising Star
Registered
Because he's another racist CAC just

like most of these cracKKKas. :dunno:
So a man who is supposedly so smart

DELIBERATELY used THAT word?

There so many words that are actually BETTER suited to make his alleged point

But he chose THAT word

For WHAT reason EXACTLY?

Wonder what would happen if Chump used that word.....

Niggardly.....:roflmao::roflmao:....I don’t know what it means but if someone said it to
me on the streets.........we’d have problems.

I don’t even care what the definition is as a Black Man I will nvr use that word after today.

Carry on.....

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Wonder what would happen if Chump used that word.....

Niggardly.....:roflmao::roflmao:....I don’t know what it means but if someone said it to
me on the streets.........we’d have problems.

I don’t even care what the definition is as a Black Man I will nvr use that word after today.

Carry on.....

my point exactly...

that word was NEVER "acceptable".

Last edited:

Colossus655x

Star
BGOL Investor
Lets just not vote In 2020! What's the worse that could happen???
Given the choice between:
1) Voting for a candidate who doesn't give a shit about me (most Democrats)
2) Voting for a candidate who will DELIBERATELY
make things WORSE for me (Chump & friends)
and
3) not voting at all...
I'd unequivocally choose #1. Not voting simply mathematically increases the probability that the candidate who will make things WORSE for me will win. Is that what we want?
I'd rather have someone who will PROBABLY NOT hurt me than someone who PROBABLY WILL hurt me in office. No matter which of these scenarios you prefer, NOT VOTING will NOT HELP YOU! It only serves to STRENGTHEN YOUR OPPOSITION.
If you TRULY HAVE NO PREFERENCE between 1 or 2 above... God help us all. :(

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster
and
3) not voting at all...
I'd unequivocally choose #1. Not voting simply mathematically increases the probability that the candidate who will make things WORSE for me will win. Is that what we want?
I'd rather have someone who will PROBABLY NOT hurt me than someone who PROBABLY WILL hurt me in office. No matter which of these scenarios you prefer, NOT VOTING will NOT HELP YOU! It only serves to STRENGTHEN YOUR OPPOSITION.
:lol:

kain

Professional Bastard Bum
Platinum Member
Bernie feel that using that language won't cost him anything.
He couldn't less about blacks he offends.

kain

Professional Bastard Bum
Platinum Member
and
3) not voting at all...
3 will be the choice for many.
Not just blacks but these progressives who are all or bust on Bernie.