Votes: 16 11.3%
  • 3 Feet High and Rising

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

kareem chin

Star
BGOL Investor
e1db8d5c640ea0b818c9b736756629d9.700x700x1.jpg

This should be on the list - I would have voted for it easily! Otherwise, maybe a tie between Slick Rick and Rakim's first album.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
idk about that. He wasn't tricked. His behavior is, well, Flava being Flava. Distasteful? Without a doubt. Flava also had a classic cut in "9-1-1 Is A Joke." I think Chuck is way too hard for anything to discredit him or his work.

agreed...if anything flava "balanced" PE so their music could be pushed on the masses...comic relief if you will

Ill Paragraph

Lord of the Perfect Black
BGOL Investor
Peace,

Having grown up listening to every song on all of these albums, I can tell you that some of you cats are under rating Raising Hell. Sure it had the pop shit, but it was one of the best front to back hip hop albums ever made.

I voted for Nation, though. It was like listening to a revolution.

Black Radical

Rising Star
Registered
Peace,

Having grown up listening to every song on all of these albums, I can tell you that some of you cats are under rating Raising Hell. Sure it had the pop shit, but it was one of the best front to back hip hop albums ever made.

I voted for Nation, though. It was like listening to a revolution.
For me its:
It Takes A Nation
Paid In Full
By All Means Neccessary

I'd probably vote for It takes a Nation because it had the most impact on me. It shaped my worldview at that age. I consider Chuck D to be an uncle of mine, cuz he helped raise me. I wouldn't be mad at anyone else for picking a different album OF THOSE 3 I mentioned. Anything other than those and yall are bugging, with an honorable mention to EPMD & Slick Rick. But the 3 albums mentioned are classic albums by TITANS of the game.

drake1

Star
Registered
I went with Eric B. but P.E is right there. Glad I don't really have to pick one as they are all in my iPod during my workout!

Teknique310

Rising Star
Registered
All classics on the list. Owned or still own every single album on that list at least once ,except criminal minded. Never bought that record , but have it in my collection on vinyl.

And Paid in Full is gonna get my vote. Rakim is like the blueprint MC. If someone said whats an MC ? I would say Rakim. Boring live, his music is more akin to what would become west coast style rap. Clever lines & dope beats.

Story tellers is another category Rick, Ice Cube, Scarface etc are people I listen to more. Some greats blurr that line BIG, KRS, etc.

LL Cool J needs a mention simply off "I Need Love" & Bad album. Although I liked Radio better. He took hip hop successfully into another direction. Cool J is somewhat of a busta, but talent cant be denied. The nigga is dope & he has at least one classic song per album.

Of the list Paid in Full gets my vote.

But there is another record & rapper I grew up on, & unlike Paid In Full. "Life is Too Short" didnt take 7 years to go platinum. It did it in under a year. KMEL & KSOL in the bay area were playing all of those east coast records that you saw on TV.

But "EVERY FUCKIN CAR" passing by me in East Oakland , San Jose, San Francisco, Richmond & Berkeley was bumping...

If you didnt have an aftermarket sound system. You didnt quite get the full effect of the bass. And just how much much Too Short made ridah music. Perfect with Hennessy & some old school chocolate thai.

Short authentically captured what is the bay area underground. The pimp & player history going all the way back to the 1849 Cali gold rush. Prospectors flush from a find on the American river, Sac river, Sierra came into San Francisco to cash in & buy that pussy.

Last edited:

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
All classics on the list. Owned or still own every single album on that list at least once ,except criminal minded. Never bought that record , but have it in my collection on vinyl.

And Paid in Full is gonna get my vote. Rakim is like the blueprint MC. If someone said whats an MC ? I would say Rakim. Boring live, his music is more akin to what would become west coast style rap. Clever lines & dope beats.

Story tellers is another category Rick, Ice Cube, Scarface etc are people I listen to more. Some greats blurr that line BIG, KRS, etc.

LL Cool J needs a mention simply off "I Need Love" & Bad album. Although I liked Radio better. He took hip hop successfully into another direction. Cool J is somewhat of a busta, but talent cant be denied. The nigga is dope & he has at least one classic song per album.

Of the list Paid in Full gets my vote.

But there is another record & rapper I grew up on, & unlike Paid In Full. "Life is Too Short" didnt take 7 years to go platinum. It did it in under a year. KMEL & KSOL in the bay area were playing all of those east coast records that you saw on TV.

But "EVERY FUCKIN CAR" passing by me in East Oakland , San Jose, San Francisco, Richmond & Berkeley was bumping...

If you didnt have an aftermarket sound system. You didnt quite get the full effect of the bass. And just how much much Too Short made ridah music. Perfect with Hennessy & some old school chocolate thai.

Short authentically captured what is the bay area underground. The pimp & player history going all the way back to the 1849 Cali gold rush. Prospectors flush from a find on the American river, Sac river, Sierra came into San Francisco to cash in & buy that pussy.

ef136e493a65718e462e90104bd64e29f1988073.gif

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
Great era of hip hop. There were glaring omissions though that others have mentioned. I wish hip hop still had the same energy and balance like the 80's had.

Other 80's albums worth mentioning.

Strictly Business - EPMD
Unfinished Business - EPMD
Youngest In Charge - Special Ed
As Nasty As They Want To Be - 2Live Crew
Big Tyme - Heavy D & The Boys
Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em - MC Hammer
Critical Beatdown - Ultramagnetic MC's
Boy Genius - Kwame
2 Hype - Kid N Play

Last edited:

gw1933

Rising Star
Registered
Paid in Full hands down....

Although it wasnt as politically conscious as PE, Rakim's flow revolutionized the wordplay of all rappers who came afterwards....

Mind you, this was all before the devolution of Hip Hop (i.e. mumble rap)

An RnB Thug

El Capitan of The LOVE BOAT
Platinum Member
The most COMPLETE Album has to be:

Paid in Full
Close second is:
Criminal Minded (First Album I ever heard shooting & killing on)

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Which is the best (or your favorite) classic hip-hop albums of the 80's

220px-Raising_Hell_%28Run_DMC_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Raising Hell (Released May 27, 1986) is the third studio album by hip hop group Run–D.M.C.. The breakthrough album trumped standing perceptions of commercial viability for hip-hop groups, achieving triple-platinum status and receiving critical attention from quarters that had previously ignored hip hop, dismissing it as a fad.Raising Hell peaked at No. 1 on Billboard's Top R&B Albums chart as the first hip hop/rap album to do so, and at No. 6 on the Billboard 200.

220px-Licensed_to_ill.jpg

Licensed to Ill is the debut studio album by the American hip hop group Beastie Boys. It was released on November 15, 1986 by Def Jam and Columbia Records. It was the first rap LP to top the Billboard album chart. It is also one of Columbia Records' fastest-selling debut records to date and eventually sold over ten million copies in the United States.

220px-RakimPIF.jpg

Paid in Full is the debut album of American hip hop duo Eric B. & Rakim, released on July 7, 1987, by Island-subsidiary label 4th & B'way Records. Paid in Full is credited as a benchmark album of golden age hip hop. Rakim's rapping, which pioneered the use ofinternal rhymes in hip hop, set a higher standard of lyricism in the genre and served as a template for future rappers. The album's heavy sampling by Eric B. became influential in hip hop production. The record has sold over a million copies and the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) certified it platinum in 1995. In 2003, the album was ranked number 228 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

220px-Criminal_Minded_Album_Cover.jpg

Criminal Minded is the debut album by Boogie Down Productions, released on March 3, 1987 on B-Boy Records. Considered a highly influential hip hop album,[1] it is also credited with providing a prototype for the East Coastgangsta rap which emerged in the following decades.In 2003, the album was ranked number 444 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

220px-PublicEnemyItTakesaNationofMillionstoHoldUsBack.jpg

It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is the second studio album by American hip hop group Public Enemy, released on June 28, 1988 by Def Jam Recordings.
The album charted for 49 weeks on the US Billboard 200, peaking at number 42. By August 1989, it was certifiedplatinum by the Recording Industry Association of America, for shipments of one million copies in the United States. The album was very well received by music critics, who hailed it for its production techniques and the socially and politically charged lyricism of lead MC Chuck D. It also appeared on many publications' year-end top album lists for 1988, and was the runaway choice as the best album of 1988 in The Village Voice's Pazz & Jop critics' poll, a poll of the leading music critics in the US. Since its initial reception, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back has been regarded by music writers and publications as one of the greatest and most influential albums of all time. In 2003, the album was ranked number 48 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time, the highest ranking of all the hip hop albums on the list, and the only one acknowledged in the top hundred.

220px-N.W.A.StraightOuttaComptonalbumcover.jpg

Straight Outta Compton is the debut studio album by American hip hop group N.W.A, released August 9, 1988 on group member Eazy-E's record label Ruthless Records. Production for the album was handled by Dr. Dre with DJ Yellagiving co-production. The album has been viewed as the pioneering record of gangsta rap with its ever-present profanity and violent lyrics. It has been considered groundbreaking by music writers and has had an enormous impact on the evolution of West Coast hip hop.

SlickRickTheGreatAdventuresofSlickRick.jpg

The Great Adventures of Slick Rick is the debut album by hip hop recording artist Slick Rick, released in 1988. The album is among the few to receive a perfect five-mic score from The Source magazine. In 1998, the album was selected as one of The Source's 100 Best Rap Albums. In 2012, the album was selected by Slant Magazine as #99 on its "Best Albums of the 1980s."It topped Billboard's Top R&B/Hip Hop Albums chart for five nonconsecutive weeks and peaked at #31 on the Billboard 200.

220px-DeLaSoul3FeetHighandRisingalbumcover.jpg

3 Feet High and Rising is the debut studio album from the American hip hop trio De La Soul, released in 1989. It marked the first of three full-length collaborations with producer Prince Paul, which would become the critical and commercial peak of both parties. It is consistently placed on 'greatest albums' lists by noted music critics and publications.Robert Christgau called the record "unlike any rap album you or anybody else has ever heard."In 1998, the album was selected as one of The Source Magazine's 100 Best Rap Albums.

Best Classic Hip-Hop Album Of The 90's?

http://www.bgol.us/forum/index.php?threads/best-classic-hip-hop-album-of-the-90s.884805/

Straight Outta Compton, Slick Rick and Paid in Full man I knew every fucking lyric! Every one! And most to this day. Damn. Getting old son

king reckless

Rising Star
Registered
Peace,

I agree with Run DMC comment. Raising Hell blew them into mainstream stardom. But for HIP-HOP HEADS the first 2 albums was it.

With jams like "ROCK BOX", "30 DAYS", "SUCKER MC'S", "YOU'RE BLIND" and "KING OF ROCK". I know I'm forgetting at least 10 jams, but my memory fails me.

THE ALBUM TITLES ARE "RUN-DMC" AND "KING OF ROCK".

THE imagery of the "KING OF ROCK" video outside a make-shift ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME, was powerful. With RUN-DMC boldly stating in a video era at that time dominated by rock-n-roll....

"I'M THE KING OF ROCK, THERE IS NONE HIGHER
SUCKER MC'S SHOULD CALL ME SIRE
TO BURN MY KINGDOM, YOU MUST USE FIRE
I WON'T STOP ROCK'IN TILL I RETIRE!"

I have not posted pics or vids in a minute I forgot how it goes.

If you give me a quick tutorial or direct me to a thread, I will post some of these songs mentioned

I'm sure the YOUNGER HEADS" may have never heard these artist and some of the "OLDER HEADS" would love to hear them again.
I think the 3rd album was solid but the first two albums had the classic hits. Many passable joints. NOW WHODINI KILLED RUN DMC'S DEBUT AND RUSSELL KNEW IT.

king reckless

Rising Star
Registered
Say whatever about LL COOL J, but he was the gold standard when it came to longevity, even Jay fought to measure up (and beyond).

Your favorite rapper's rapper or rapper's envy either way.