Better STAND-UP COMEDIAN ( not movie ) Dave Chappelle vs. Eddie Murphy

Better STAND-UP COMEDIAN ( not movies) Dave Chappelle vs Eddie Murphy

• Total voters

carsun1000

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I really think Dave C just talk to people these days and they pay to listen to him. Back in the day, he was much funnier. So that makes Eddie the dude.

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Stupid question. Chappelle is dropping a special every 18 months, give or take. Murphy tapped out of standup well before he was 30. RAW is legendary but he’s top 10 for that reason only. Everyone else has more albums and specials, and a longer run.

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered
No offense to OP or anyone else, but I just want to share an observation.

Among our people we have this thing of pitting our high achievers against one another that I just don't see other races doing. Not sure why we do it. Others celebrate the contributions of their heroes and leave it at that. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've gone online and a poster was polling ... Who's best, Michael Jackson or Prince, MLK or Malcolm, Tupac or Biggie, Jordan or Kobe/Lebron, Tyson or Ali and on and on. Just an observation that I don't typically see cacs comparing Elvis to Elton or John Lennon. They don't publicly compare Mark Spitz to Michael Phelps or Tony Bennet to Frank Sinatra. Their (perceived) greats rest in eternity as greats underneath or overshadowed by no one. And as it pertains to music, literature, comedy or acting, there is no right answer anyway. Art cannot be qualified! Your heaven might be my hell, and we're BOTH right.

Last edited:

God Dammit

Shaddyvillescrub’s Idol
BGOL Investor
Senior citizens will not let Dave rightfully win.
When on stage, Eddie’s like Samuel L. Jackson:
The better Sam thinks he’s acting, the louder he gets… Eddie gets loud as fuck when he’s doing his punchlines.
Dave kills all of your favorite comedians.
Patrice O’Neal is the only one that can hold his own with Dave.​

Last edited:

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
If we’re just going by standup specials then Dave wins by quantity Eddie’s only got what two maybe 3 stand up specials.

PeerlessMack

Been here longer than you think!
Platinum Member
I was about to say Eddie but realized that the poll is only for stand up and not movies and shows. While I think Dave is transitioning to a more controversial activist method* in his comedic style, I still think his delivery of story telling is the best.

* Many comedians have gone this way, most times much later in their careers. Paul Mooney, Richard Pryor (after he was set on fire), and George Carlin are examples of comedians who truthfully spoke out about how fucked up things are in society in their acts.

Chuck_Luck

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Two different styles, Eddie is flat out more naturally funny, but they are both great comedians.

Eddie wins because, his jokes work everywhere...TV, movies, stand up etc. He is more iconic also (I've watched Comming to America 100 times)

Dave is the comedian that we need now. He offers social commentary, and a different perspective with humor. Dave is great because I believe he can pull off Eddie Murphy funny if he wanted to, but Eddie Murphy couldn't do Dave Chapple comedy.

shamone

Rising Star
OG Investor
You gotta remember Eddie was doing stand up & making movie when the weren’t let blacks in Hollywood like that then
eddie was of rare air when he came on the scene. he was barley out of teens and save snl from cancellation. wasn't the stereotypical black guy in films. his stand ups were sold out .became a huge movie star. chris rock something that's true. back in the day there were only a few channels and outlets for talent. so if you have to be funny to everyone to be big. this dude eddie was big in film, late night tv and even had a hit single.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
i don't want to vote because i am a fan of both and do agree that we need to stop pitting our greats against each other. With that said, i have been watching Dave since he was on Def Comedy Jam, got to see him live back in NY. I always found him funny and his stand-ups were brilliant. Great story teller and great on-the-spot comedienne. However, i can't really say that i have ever watched a Chapelle stand-up more than once or twice. That doesn't mean i did't like them. Raw and Delirious are classics and I can watch them over and over again and still laugh like I did when i first watched. People know the jokes line for line and still find it funny. I can't really recite a Dave story like that, but again, he is great at telling those stories. It's like comparing Martin's show to Jamie Foxx's, both were funny, but which one can you watch over and over and still laugh the same way. Both Eddie and Dave are great for different reasons.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
You gotta remember Eddie was doing stand up & making movie when the weren’t let blacks in Hollywood like that then

eddie was of rare air when he came on the scene. he was barley out of teens and save snl from cancellation. wasn't the stereotypical black guy in films. his stand ups were sold out .became a huge movie star. chris rock something that's true. back in the day there were only a few channels and outlets for talent. so if you have to be funny to everyone to be big. this dude eddie was big in film, late night tv and even had a hit single.

True indeed.

Eddie came and took advantage of every opportunity to break into showbiz. He succeeded.

However, after his breakthrough he never returned to or expounded upon any acts that made him so popular among us ie his standup. One of the gripes that I’ve always heard over the years among fans about Eddie was when would he return to the “old Eddie”. We haven’t had that Eddie in years. We thought maybe we’d get that with news of him working with Netflix but we got the Dolemite movie instead and while funny, not really the funny from Eddie we were looking for.

This allowed time for a successor to come and blaze a path set before him. That’s what Dave Chappelle is, it’s not pitting him against anyone but calling it what it is. Dave stuck to his brand of comedy and continues to win by it. Eddie stuck to Hollywoods brand and won by it. When the culture looks back on them they’ll both get respect by those who know their work regardless.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Don't like this.
i don't want to vote because i am a fan of both and do agree that we need to stop pitting our greats against each other. With that said, i have been watching Dave since he was on Def Comedy Jam, got to see him live back in NY. I always found him funny and his stand-ups were brilliant. Great story teller and great on-the-spot comedienne. However, i can't really say that i have ever watched a Chapelle stand-up more than once or twice. That doesn't mean i did't like them. Raw and Delirious are classics and I can watch them over and over again and still laugh like I did when i first watched. People know the jokes line for line and still find it funny. I can't really recite a Dave story like that, but again, he is great at telling those stories. It's like comparing Martin's show to Jamie Foxx's, both were funny, but which one can you watch over and over and still laugh the same way. Both Eddie and Dave are great for different reasons.

Agreec

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
This is like comparing Brady's Patriots to the '72 Dolphins. Raw was a classic, but Dave has had way more great stand up performances.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Among our people we have this thing of pitting our high achievers against one another that I just don't see other races doing. Not sure why we do it. Others celebrate the contributions of their heroes and leave it at that. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've gone online and a poster was polling ... Who's best, Michael Jackson or Prince, MLK or Malcolm, Tupac or Biggie, Jordan or Kobe/Lebron, Tyson or Ali and on and on. Just an observation that I don't typically see cacs comparing Elvis to Elton or John Lennon. They don't publicly compare Mark Spitz to Michael Phelps or Tony Bennet to Frank Sinatra. Their (perceived) greats rest in eternity as greats underneath or overshadowed by no one. And as it pertains to music, literature, comedy or acting, there is no right answer anyway. Art cannot be qualified! Your heaven might be my hell, and we're BOTH right.
Lighten up, dude.
OP is just asking which comedian do you think is the better stand up.
This is not about race whatsoever.
And yes; other races make comparisons of these types ALL THE TIME.
Examples:
- Elvis or The Beatles.
- Maryanne or Ginger.
- Star Wars or Star Trek.
- Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby.
- Marilyn Monroe or Sophia Loren.
- Al Pacino or Robert Deniro.
- Marvel or DC.
- Mickey Mantle or Ted Williams.
- Joe Montana or Tom Brady.
- Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan.
- The Hulk or Superman.
- Addams Family or The Munsters.
- Sean Connery or Every Other Bond.
- Mozart or Beethoven.

Relax, bro. It ain't that serious.... :yawn:

Last edited:

OUT THARE

It takes a nation of millions to keep us black
BGOL Investor
Lighten up, dude.
OP is just asking which comedian do you think is the better stand up.
This is not about race whatsoever.
And yes; other races make comparisons of these types ALL THE TIME.
Examples:
- Elvis or The Beatles.
- Maryanne or Ginger.
- Star Wars or Star Trek.
- Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby.
- Marilyn Monroe or Sophia Loren.
- Al Pacino or Robert Deniro.
- Marvel or DC.
- Mickey Mantle or Ted Williams.
- Joe Montana or Tom Brady.
- Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan.
- The Hulk or Superman.
- Addams Family or The Munsters.
- Sean Connery vs Every Other Bond.

Relax, bro. It ain't that serious.... :yawn:
:bravo:

yureeka9

Rising Star
Platinum Member

you-got-a-point-jodie-walton.gif