[BGOL Gardeners]I need help my old earth dirt is terrible don't produce shit anymore like it use to

roots69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My Bgol planters...

I help my momz get her garden together each planting season the last two seasons shit ain't been popping I think her dirt is just finished, I told her we need to get some raw horse and chicken manure but the only thing is that shit will have the whole neighborhood throwing bricks at your house because you can smell that shit 5 miles away on a nice windy summer day.

For all of you that know about gardens, how can I improve the dirt quality? last couple years everything just about died didn't grow or produced a small yield.

Advice, please!

Sit this year out and cover the old garden with grass clipping and leaves in the fall!! You can even use old wood mulch.. Then mix it all into the soil.. Just do sum research and youll find a system that will jumpstart garden..

Reactions: BAG

BAG

Cleveland D-T-W [216]
BGOL Investor
Sit this year out and cover the old garden with grass clipping and leaves in the fall!! You can even use old wood mulch.. Then mix it all into the soil.. Just do sum research and youll find a system that will jumpstart garden..

I think we figured out the problem, for a few years we have been using old carpet to keep the walkways clear, as I was tilling the garden we noticed this carpet had tons of mildew on it and probably other bacteria that kill plants, in my area we have a stray cat problem and they love lounging shitting and pissing all over the garden,

this might be the culprit a while ago the same thing happened with some bad mulch we bought the fungus took out a nice portion of plants had to get rid of it

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
My Bgol planters...

I help my momz get her garden together each planting season the last two seasons shit ain't been popping I think her dirt is just finished, I told her we need to get some raw horse and chicken manure but the only thing is that shit will have the whole neighborhood throwing bricks at your house because you can smell that shit 5 miles away on a nice windy summer day.

For all of you that know about gardens, how can I improve the dirt quality? last couple years everything just about died didn't grow or produced a small yield.

Advice, please!

madgoose

International
International Member
You can have all the correct nutrients and elements that are required but if your pH is no0t balanced for the species that you are trying to grow then they will not be able to make use of the nutrients. Check the pH of your soil and if it is to acidic or at the opposite end and to alkaline make adjustments. Also look into implementing Mycorrhizae, a fungus that has a symbiotic relationship between the rhizosphere of the plants, the sugars and nutrients that the plant needs to uptake and the soil.

Get yourself a worm farm and maintain it and it will give you good quality worm humous. Use all your scraps from the kitchen and make your own compost but be aware that there are things that you should never put in your compost bin. Onions are one of those things.

If you get some manure get double. Rotten manure is best fresh shit. But fresh maybe the only thing available immediately so get double and prepare the second portion, leaving it rot. Just leave it in some closed plastic sacks, if you can introduce some worms to it even better. Horse, chicken manure and bat guano are great.

Give your soil a break every fourth year. Fertilise it, add nutrients and manure to it and turn it during the off year.

No go grow something!

Last edited:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Give your soil a break every fourth year. Fertilise it, add nutrients and manure to it and turn it during the off year.
we turned the soil every spring while mixing in compost
we also rotate every year - we created 6 sections in our yard
so if last year 1 section had carrots peppers okra - this year that section will be tomatoes cabbage cucumber

madgoose

International
International Member
we turned the soil every spring while mixing in compost
we also rotate every year - we created 6 sections in our yard
so if last year 1 section had carrots peppers okra - this year that section will be tomatoes cabbage cucumber
Sounds good.

I noticed something on a pack of onion seeds, if you have previously grown onion species (white, brown, red, leeks spring onions) on a patch then you cannot do so in subsequent years, i think that may also be true with garlic. Check this though please, I have just woken up and would usually go and check the package before writing something like this for somebody so don't be surprised if I edit this later. Go to crack on with some financial investing before it all fucks up and costs me £1250 if I don't make the right decision quickly.