BGOL Sports Parents: After all this, would you let your kids play football?

Would you allow your child to play football?

• Yes (there are other options)

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • No (especially contact sports)

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I dont have a son but my nephews and little cousins all play baseball and football.

Well let me tell you I am hearing that is going to cut off quick by the women in family...

I wanted to ask the parents on here...

Are your kids involved in sports?

At what AGE did they start?

What SPECIFIC sports are they in?

And are there any sports you would NEVER let them play?

Football for obvious reasons seems out.

Right now it seems like baseball is bad because of the the metal bats and head injuries, and injuries to pitcher's arms.

Lacrosse is getting very popular.

Damn my 3 year old daughter want to play soccar and I have had coaches bugging me for her to join ALREADY!?!?!?

I am considering starting her with golf soon...

But I told my wife Tennis, Track, ballet and Ice Skating can be just as dangerous...

Or are you anti-ports PERIOD.

And think they should concentrate on their studies.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Sports give children additional structure and continues to help them learn things like teamwork and how to listen to someone that's not their parent.
Stop the women in your family from limiting the children in your family.
My son wanted to go out for basketball but he fucked up and got a C on his report card and I killed that. It wasn't the C but the fact that it took him a week to give me the report card. The coverup was worse than the crime.

kinglickk

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sports give children additional structure and continues to help them learn things like teamwork and how to listen to someone that's not their parent.
My son wanted to go out for basketball but he fucked up and got a C on his report card and I killed that. It wasn't the C but the fact that it took him a week to give me the report card. The coverup was worse than the crime.

Lil homie got a future in politics!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

I cant fault them, they wash the uniforms and take them to school and practice...

so I cant say that, they good women:D

but their PRIMARY concern is grades and their safety.

you STILL didn't address the injury question though Dave...

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

:lol::lol::lol:

I cant fault them, they wash the uniforms and take them to school and practice...

so I cant say that, they good women:D

but their PRIMARY concern is grades and their safety.

you STILL didn't address the injury question though Dave...

There's no way to avoid it, really. Kids get hurt, whether playing structured sports or just playing outside. Whenever my son comes in with a new scar, his mother panics, that's what they do. It's the men's job to talk them off the ledge.
As long as they maintain their grades, let them play.

black again

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Fortunately, my son never was really interested in playing football, cuz if that's what they wanna do, it's tough not letting them play.

The head injuries are too hard to ignore, nowadays..the equipment just hasn't caught up with the athletes...there are too many reasons I wouldn't have wanted him to play.

Football is damn near like boxing, imo..I love it, but I know what it does to your body..and it ain't good. :smh:

Deacs

Rising Star
Registered
In my family, you must pick a sport by 10 to participate in... mothers usually didn't have or cared to say anything about sports :dunno:

I changed it to exclude sports and send my godchildren and nieces and nephews to learn martial arts instead.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
There's no way to avoid it, really. Kids get hurt, whether playing structured sports or just playing outside. Whenever my son comes in with a new scar, his mother panics, that's what they do. It's the men's job to talk them off the ledge.
As long as they maintain their grades, let them play.

I whole heart agree...

but Real Sports on HBO has got me really thinking...

because IF something happens...

something serious

what in the holy hell are you going to tell your wife:(

"kids get hurt?"

Some of these coaches think they John Gruden homes...

if my son throws the venus in the spider wide banana,

I'll be damned if someone gonna berate him to the point of tears...

or tell him to hit some kid in the knees.

and those metal bats in little league are just wrong, and kids playing in like 3:eek:leagues all year round:smh:

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered
Our kids(boys) played football since they were 6. Our oldest daughter didn't do any sports, she focused solely on studies. Last year our oldest son went and did the research and came back to us saying he didn't want them to play football anymore because of all the brain injuries and the risks aren't worth it. So i said do what you do playa. He decided that all the boys should try other sports. They really enjoy soccer so that's the 1 they're sticking with. Our middle daughter is heavy into dance. Kids should be exposed to other sports, even in play outside. Go outside and help them do something different. You just never know what they'll like. Show them different sports on tv, black people doing it(except hockey).

Women by and large primary goal is their children's safety. Women stifle children's physical exploration and things of that nature(especially boys). Boys who do not play sports often wind up not very competitive in life in general. They don't tend to be Go Getters, and often have trouble finding motivation and tend not to be self starters. It's the Mothering Effect.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Our kids(boys) played football since they were 6. Our oldest daughter didn't do any sports, she focused solely on studies. Last year our oldest son went and did the research and came back to us saying he didn't want them to play football anymore because of all the brain injuries and the risks aren't worth it. So i said do what you do playa. He decided that all the boys should try other sports. They really enjoy soccer so that's the 1 they're sticking with. Our middle daughter is heavy into dance. Kids should be exposed to other sports, even in play outside. Go outside and help them do something different. You just never know what they'll like. Show them different sports on tv, black people doing it(except hockey).

Women by and large primary goal is their children's safety. Women stifle children's physical exploration and things of that nature(especially boys). Boys who do not play sports often wind up not very competitive in life in general. They don't tend to be Go Getters, and often have trouble finding motivation and tend not to be self starters. It's the Mothering Effect.

I cant argue this but it is rare to find such caring and well though out parents like yourself...

YOU KNOW many parents see sports as a cash grab...

Of course sports has MANY benefits and I recommend and encourage it , my daughter JUST turned 3 and she goes to dance class, she watches sports on TV, we go out to play soccer regularly and she actually ASKED to play tennis...

then again she over3 feet tall so I get coaches asking me about her all the time...

but I think Seau's death will be a VERY BIG DEAL...

and parents WILL be much more hesitant about youth football.

I could be wrong.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I whole heart agree...

but Real Sports on HBO has got me really thinking...

because IF something happens...

something serious

what in the holy hell are you going to tell your wife:(

"kids get hurt?"

I've seen that and other stories like it and it's a risk but there's just no such thing as risk averse childhood. It's just one of those times when you have to let your logic override your emotion of the moment.
There are injuries in football but most guys aren't going to play pro and hitting and being hit by the biggest, fastest, strongest guys playing. So when people are reading the studies of how many injuries there are, they keep forgetting to compare that to how many boys and men play football at any given time. It's tough and physical but more kids get killed in car accidents and we don't stop them from learning how to drive.

Some of these coaches think they John Gruden homes...

if my son throws the venus in the spider wide banana,

I'll be damned if someone gonna berate him to the point of tears...

or tell him to hit some kid in the knees.

and those metal bats in little league are just wrong, and kids playing in like 3:eek:leagues all year round:smh:

I'm with you on all this and all of this is stuff the parents can step in and change.
Coach is an overly competitive asshole, put your kid on another team and complain to whatever sanctioning body he reports to.
Don't like metal bats (that shit is incredibly asinine and dangerous), the parents need to band together and have them removed.
Kids playing in multiple leagues is all on the parents. They're using the sport as a part time babysitter.

Yeah. I would say it's more boys who are prevented from playing sanctioned sports than just ones that don't.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I cant argue this but it is rare to find such caring and well though out parents like yourself...

YOU KNOW many parents see sports as a cash grab...

Of course sports has MANY benefits and I recommend and encourage it , my daughter JUST turned 3 and she goes to dance class, she watches sports on TV, we go out to play soccer regularly and she actually ASKED to play tennis...

then again she over3 feet tall so I get coaches asking me about her all the time...

but I think Seau's death will be a VERY BIG DEAL...

and parents WILL be much more hesitant about youth football.

I could be wrong.

I think you will be. He's not the first player even from his most successful team to die prematurely (he's the eighth from that team of Chargers. Damn) and little has changed. People never think it's going to be them and usually they're right.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
If I had a kid,I wouldnt mind having him/her play a sport but you have way too many parents that take this shit way too seriously...A kid dont need to see an adult fighting a coach or another parent...:smh::smh::smh::smh:

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
I don't see the humor in that whatsoever.

My son plays football and he loves it. He's pretty good at it. He plays baseball and he wants to play ice hockey. I told him I will learn how to ice skate with him so whenever he wants to go practice on his own we can both go. I will encourage my children to do whatever they want as long as it's positive and productive. It's sad what's happened to some of these former players but just think about the word some. For every veteran football or hockey player you can mention had a tragic ending everyone can mention 30 former players who are living there lives and are ok. I think we need to teach our children not to dwell on the negative. Never be afraid to do something you enjoy. Don't let fear of something going wrong defer you. If there good at football, encourage them to keep at it.

zsr6fm.jpg

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
My son plays football and he loves it. He's pretty good at it. He plays baseball and he wants to play ice hockey. I told him I will learn how to ice skate with him so whenever he wants to go practice on his own we can both go. I will encourage my children to do whatever they want as long as it's positive and productive. It's sad what's happened to some of these former players but just think about the word some. For every veteran football or hockey player you can mention had a tragic ending everyone can mention 30 former players who are living there lives and are ok. I think we need to teach our children not to dwell on the negative. Never be afraid to do something you enjoy. Don't let fear of something going wrong defer you. If there good at football, encourage them to keep at it.

:yes:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I don't see the humor in that whatsoever.

zsr6fm.jpg

truth.

However we still have a generation of kids who dont realize how many basketball players go UNDRAFTED...

and can't go back to school.

I think it is specifically because of shows like REAL SPORTS that parents now understand until VERY recently in college sports the scholarships were year to year NOT 4 year...

abut these damn BOWLS being huge non-profit scams...

NOT TO GET SIDE TRACKED...

I am proud of ya'll..

being so INVOLVED with your kids activities but not making it about YOU:yes:

I always wondered though...

how is INSURANCE dealt with in these sports???:confused:

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
if they want to play football then i'd let them try it out but i'd expose them to other sports...me personally i love baseball but its really up to what they want to do. my dad was great at basketball scholarship the whole 9 it was his love and passion, me i liked basketball i am naturally good at it BUT i absolutely love baseball, and i found out lots of family played in the negro league so that would explain it, its in my blood. i would do what my dad did, even though his love was basketball and he didn't know anything about baseball, because i wanted to play it he learned it, taught it to me, and then coached it so that he could spend extra time with me doing activities. i'm eternally grateful for that

and if they want to hoop, tennis, soccer, football, track, i'll learn it teach it and be involved and supportive one million percent

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
if they want to play football then i'd let them try it out but i'd expose them to other sports...me personally i love baseball but its really up to what they want to do. my dad was great at basketball scholarship the whole 9 it was his love and passion, me i liked basketball i am naturally good at it BUT i absolutely love baseball, and i found out lots of family played in the negro league so that would explain it, its in my blood. i would do what my dad did, even though his love was basketball and he didn't know anything about baseball, because i wanted to play it he learned it, taught it to me, and then coached it so that he could spend extra time with me doing activities. i'm eternally grateful for that

and if they want to hoop, tennis, soccer, football, track, i'll learn it teach it and be involved and supportive one million percent

:bravo:

MadWun

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

so if your son seriously wanted to pursue a "white" sport like lacrosse, golf, ice hockey or gymnastics???

Would you still be cool?

Why not? We should not view those sports as just "white" sports. :smh:

We need to open our kids up to other sports like swimming, tennis, golf and so on. :yes:

My daughter takes swimming lessons (not competitive) but she is getting to a point where she is getting really good, and if it is something she wants to pursue, I'll support her 100%.

There is even an organization here in Atlanta for girls for black girls that gives emphasis on sports like tennis, swimming and golf as means to get a scholarship to college. :yes:

http://www.sportygirlsinc.org/

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Football is a a dumb sport

No way any of my kids would put their health in jeopardy over that BS, that isnt even played outside the country.

I dont even think I would want my kids to play sports. Academic pursuits is why my parents came to this country, so I would hope my kids follow in those steps.

Wouldnt be hurt if they wanted to do Soccer or tennis though, as those are sports I played growing up.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Why not? We should not view those sports as just "white" sports. :smh:

We need to open our kids up to other sports like swimming, tennis, golf and so on. :yes:

My daughter takes swimming lessons (not competitive) but she is getting to a point where she is getting really good, and if it is something she wants to pursue, I'll support her 100%.

There is even an organization here in Atlanta for girls for black girls that gives emphasis on sports like tennis, swimming and golf as means to get a scholarship to college. :yes:

http://www.sportygirlsinc.org/

I salute you particularly on teaching young black kids to swim:D

Brother Blues

Deceased - Nov. 4, 2015
BGOL Legend
My son played football and lacrosse in high school...and now plays in college.

He is happy doing it,so I support him...

His mother does the worrying.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
You can let them play football either two hand touch or flag.

I've said before I think the problem with football is the helmet. If football went back to the leather caps or removal of the face-mask you might stop seeing a lot of concussion type of injuries.

Besides playing any sport can't protect them from injury it's all a part of the game. As kids we always grew up with the saying "If you're strong enough to play you're strong enough to get hurt." Getting injured and recovering teach us about being competitive and the will and determination to succeed, what it means to work hard to achieve something. You can't just give up because you got hurt you gotta get back in there and keep playing.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dawgnme

Rising Star
OG Investor
I tried the Fencing Academy off a Groupon deal they ran here in town and my little nigga fell in love with it. Finishes a sparring match drenched in sweat. Discipline, technique, and a surprising requirement of athleticism... plus, Ivy League scholarships by the pound.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I tried the Fencing Academy off a Groupon deal they ran here in town and my little nigga fell in love with it. Finishes a sparring match drenched in sweat. Discipline, technique, and a surprising requirement of athleticism... plus, Ivy League scholarships by the pound.

we clowned my friend in HS for joing the golf team...

i mean dude almost cried...(pre-Tiger)

and I was on of the few to back him up

so saw him in the street a while back...

he got a scholarship and got a job right out of school caddy,

and met some big time CEO on the golf course and has worked for the same company for like 15 years

BALLIN'!!!!:lol:

dude actually sent my wife and I couple of bottles of expensive wine and a bday gift for my little girl from Cartier and promised to get her first set of clubs...

I think GOLF is a great thing to teach young blacks, next to swimming...

I dont understand why this generation of black kids are not into BASEBALL at all:smh:

MadWun

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
we clowned my friend in HS for joing the golf team...

i mean dude almost cried...(pre-Tiger)

and I was on of the few to back him up

so saw him in the street a while back...

he got a scholarship and got a job right out of school caddy,

and met some big time CEO on the golf course and has worked for the same company for like 15 years

BALLIN'!!!!:lol:

dude actually sent my wife and I couple of bottles of expensive wine and a bday gift for my little girl from Cartier and promised to get her first set of clubs...

I think GOLF is a great thing to teach young blacks, next to swimming...

I dont understand why this generation of black kids are not into BASEBALL at all:smh:

There was a black chick on The Apprentice in 2010.

This is a partial bio. Tell me what stands out:

Liza Mucheru-Wisner, born in Kenya, was part of the Kenyan National Golf team and was recruited to play golf at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.

She completed her education and received her Masters degree while simultaneously starting an educational technology company.

However, her business venture fell victim to the recession and she is struggling to make it a success. Mucheru-Wisner, now a wife and mother of two, works hard to stay connected with her family in Kenya and Ireland and is looking for opportunities to grow and expand her business. She is an avid fan of golf and is a belly dancer and aerobics instructor on the side. -NBC

She got a scholarship to play golf. Got 2 degrees off that scholarship :yes:...Playing golf.

We need to let our kids know it is more than just football and basketball out here. :smh:

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

so if your son seriously wanted to pursue a "white" sport like lacrosse, golf, ice hockey or gymnastics???

Would you still be cool?

there aren't any white sports
only white players

all of them take basic things us black people are naturally gifted at.

jim brown was the top lacrosse player in the country

tiger woods dominated the world

a black hockey player just scored a game winning goal in the stanley cup playoffs

gymnastics i don't know too much about but if he wanted to go for it i'd let him go for it you never know where this stuff will take you.

some of the dudes i played little league with ive come across networked and have done good things with.

sports teach you about life
work hard
be determined
don't give up
and you have a shot to win (achieve your goal)

and sometimes with all of that work you might not get it

and if you don't get it, you'll live...you need to work even harder next time so you can achieve what you're trying to do.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
there aren't any white sports
only white players

all of them take basic things us black people are naturally gifted at.

jim brown was the top lacrosse player in the country

was goona mention that

tiger woods dominated the world

a black hockey player just scored a game winning goal in the stanley cup playoffs

and you SEE how he was treated:hmm:

gymnastics i don't know too much about but if he wanted to go for it i'd let him go for it you never know where this stuff will take you.

some of the dudes i played little league with ive come across networked and have done good things with.

sports teach you about life
work hard
be determined
don't give up
and you have a shot to win (achieve your goal)

and sometimes with all of that work you might not get it

and if you don't get it, you'll live...you need to work even harder next time so you can achieve what you're trying to do.

I think many are concerned about the balance between school and athletics and how AAU teams, traveling baseball teams, etx. treat these...

not excusing the parents but I think you gentlemen are rare...

I always get shocked looks when I take my daughter to music or dance class...:rolleyes:

MadWun

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think many are concerned about the balance between school and athletics and how AAU teams, traveling baseball teams, etx. treat these...

not excusing the parents but I think you gentlemen are rare...

I always get shocked looks when I take my daughter to music or dance class...:rolleyes:

My daughters swimming class only has a handful of blacks.

hell, last week Sunday we were the only blacks there, but that shit does not bother me at all. :smh:

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
my lil' bro plays semi pro ball now...played in college & H/S

almost all my Nephews play right now....let the kids play football stop being softies because of a few bad stories....

this isn't boxing

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
My daughters swimming class only has a handful of blacks.

hell, last week Sunday we were the only blacks there, but that shit does not bother me at all. :smh:

it should...

its is a shame and a product of segregation that a MAJORITY f BLACKS STILL cannot swim in this country:smh:

good for you family for taking care of your little girl!!!:D

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
my lil' bro plays semi pro ball now...played in college & H/S

almost all my Nephews play right now....let the kids play football stop being softies because of a few bad stories....

this isn't boxing

HOLD ON!!!

So you wouldnt let your son (or daughter) box?