BGOL Sports Parents: After all this, would you let your kids play football?

Would you allow your child to play football?

• Yes (there are other options)

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • No (especially contact sports)

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
there aren't any white sports
only white players

all of them take basic things us black people are naturally gifted at.

jim brown was the top lacrosse player in the country

tiger woods dominated the world

a black hockey player just scored a game winning goal in the stanley cup playoffs

gymnastics i don't know too much about but if he wanted to go for it i'd let him go for it you never know where this stuff will take you.

some of the dudes i played little league with ive come across networked and have done good things with.

sports teach you about life
work hard
be determined
don't give up
and you have a shot to win (achieve your goal)

and sometimes with all of that work you might not get it

and if you don't get it, you'll live...you need to work even harder next time so you can achieve what you're trying to do

:yes:

MadWun

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
it should...

its is a shame and a product of segregation that a MAJORITY f BLACKS STILL cannot swim in this country:smh:

good for you family for taking care of your little girl!!!:D

Don't get me wrong, it is not cheap either. Both my kids $140 monthly.

All kids should be exposed to some form of extra curricular activity.

It is our responsibility as parents to make this possible for our kids.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
HOLD ON!!!

So you wouldnt let your son (or daughter) box?

Boxing is a far more dangerous sport...my sis got my Nephews & Niece into Boxing but not competitive boxing more self defense

I encourage that...Boxing is a rough sport especially on the body you are damaging your body more in Boxing than Football...

I wouldn't discourage the sport but I wouldn't want my child to participate competitively in Boxing until he was much older...

Football is a great sport...bad stories are not common in Football one of my nephews has been playing since Pee Wee don't discourage football

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I think many are concerned about the balance between school and athletics and how AAU teams, traveling baseball teams, etx. treat these...

not excusing the parents but I think you gentlemen are rare...

I always get shocked looks when I take my daughter to music or dance class...:rolleyes:

sports are good for race relations
meaning it opens kids eyes up to things
i was exposed to bigotry and racism through baseball
intentionally held back for white players
as well as white kids and coaches calling me "n'er"

it opened my eyes to the shit and i talked to my parents about it and they told me it was not relegated to sports
its the way the world works
life lessons

and the problem is sometimes when the kid commits the parent commits even more. and pushes adult commitments on kids.

kids are flaky
love it today
hate it in 3 years
whatever your child loves if you encourage them they'll stick with it.
and it doesn't have to be the 1st thing they say they love either that's the problem.

if kid says i want to play football and you support him then support him dont push him. and don't let him quit either its a balance.

1st year of baseball i couldn't hit to save my life my dad worked with me went to batting cages and i couldn't do it. i wanted to quit and he said i couldn't
he said i made a commitment to the team and i need to be a responsible member of the team if i didn't want to play after the season i was free to leave... end of season came i found my swing and i loved it all over again and in fact wanted to play summer baseball as well...

around the same time i wanted to play the saxaphone and the piano... so he got me lessons for both.
midway through i didn't like saxaphone but loved piano. said i need to finish the lessons and see what i think... finished them and didn't pursue the sax...but kept the piano

sports/activities with the right guidance help people become realistic responsible adults

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Don't get me wrong, it is not cheap either. Both my kids $140 monthly.

All kids should be exposed to some form of extra curricular activity.

It is our responsibility as parents to make this possible for our kids.

as a parent on a budget I commend anyone who spends money AND time for the betterment of their children...

I meant to say you should be disappointed that more blacks arent doing this because there ARE free swim programs...

I found an affordable class for 3-4 year olds in a jewish program and I went it like WHAT!!!???

They have been great:D

as matter of fact I JUST missed out on free classes at the YMCA this summer all over NY, but it was buy lottery only:(

Lattimore

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kid plays baseball, basketball and takes Karate. I've thought long and hard about the football question mainly bc I played throughout high school and even into college. I did the off season camps and all that, even sustain a few concussions and broken bones; as well as a dislocated elbow (very painful).

With that said I don't know about football... and I loved playing. I still have a trick neck that acts up occasionally (turning left can be a problem at certain times) and my elbow and fingers are easily dinged.

Fortunately my wife's not panic stricken but little guy isn't football age yet. My youngest might have to play. He exhibits that desire to stir it up that drove me to it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Kid plays baseball, basketball and takes Karate. I've thought long and hard about the football question mainly bc I played throughout high school and even into college. I did the off season camps and all that, even sustain a few concussions and broken bones; as well as a dislocated elbow (very painful).

With that said I don't know about football... and I loved playing. I still have a trick neck that acts up occasionally (turning left can be a problem at certain times) and my elbow and fingers are easily dinged.

Fortunately my wife's not panic stricken but little guy isn't football age yet. My youngest might have to play. He exhibits that desire to stir it up that drove me to it.

bro, at least you waiting to see his interest and are keeping your wife in the decision making process...

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
there aren't any white sports
only white players

all of them take basic things us black people are naturally gifted at.

jim brown was the top lacrosse player in the country

tiger woods dominated the world

a black hockey player just scored a game winning goal in the stanley cup playoffs

gymnastics i don't know too much about but if he wanted to go for it i'd let him go for it you never know where this stuff will take you.

some of the dudes i played little league with ive come across networked and have done good things with.

sports teach you about life
work hard
be determined
don't give up
and you have a shot to win (achieve your goal)

and sometimes with all of that work you might not get it

and if you don't get it, you'll live...you need to work even harder next time so you can achieve what you're trying to do.

Excellent reply sir!!!!! Excellent!!!

2en9vft.jpg

mike123

Rising Star
Registered
damn the next generation gonna be even more bitchmade then these little skinny jeans smedium shirt wearin fags that are runnin around now

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?&playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:8694645&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>​

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Dr. Lauer discusses youth football bounties on ESPN Outside the Lines

My part is not included in the link, however… The show re-airs Friday, December 7 at 3 pm eastern on ESPN.

On Friday I had the opportunity to film live, to be aired on Sunday, an ESPN Outside the Lines panel with Bob Ley and Dave Zirin. I found the whole process interesting; I stared at a camera for about 40 minutes with bright lights shining on me waiting for five minutes to talk. That being written I enjoyed the opportunity. Any chance to inform the public is worth waiting 4o minutes. I would wait hours if I thought one sentence could make a difference for some child and a parent out there.

Before having a chance to be on OTL I was a fan of the show, especially since Tom Farrey reports on the show. I have a great deal of respect for the work he does as well as what he stands for. I also think Bob Ley does an excellent job of critiquing the world of sport and challenging followers of ESPN to think more in depth about what is actually happening. In short, I was honored to be invited to be on OTL because of the quality of work the members of the show bring consistently.

The show focused on the accusations of a bounty system being used by a Pop Warner football team. Pop Warner did not find hard evidence that the coaching staff paid players to hurt opponents, however, it was clear that a professional sports culture of winning at all costs existed. There were rumors that players took diuretics to cut weight. Furthermore, Pop Warner did suspend the coaches because they had evidence that one player was paid for his performance.

My part of the show is brief and I tried to emphasize the point that when we make the game about winning we begin to rationalize very inappropriate behaviors. Further, and I wish I had time to say this on-air, adults and players begin to dehumanize the opponent, thus blocking empathy for others, and really reinforcing unethical behaviors. Finally, these kinds of actions tear apart the fabric of trust that is needed between coaches, players, and parents. Not only the trust you as a parent have in the coach of your team, but also in a collision sport that ALL coaches have the best interest of the children in mind. It only takes one misguided coach to ruin the lives of multiple children. We have seen it before in Happy Valley.

What does bounty and youth football really mean; that there is an epidemic on our hands? I think in reality this is the worst of the worst and serves as a teachable moment. As parents and coaches we must diligently require each other to keep perspective and do the right things. We all know that bounties, taking diuretics, and paying kids cash for performing is wrong, but it still happens. We must be observant, talk to our children, and expect our coaches to be role models.

Do not sign up for programs if the coaches are not trained and have background screened. Do not participate on teams where the coach is doing somewhat inappropriate things like cussing. Say something to administrators when coaches are bending the rules and enforcing unhealthy practices. Draw the line. Do the right thing. It is sport, not life and death. Otherwise we allow these kinds of things to happen right under our nose.

Parents and coaches if we want to be involved in our youth’s sport then lets do it in their best interests, otherwise we need to get out of the way.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
My youngest told me that he wanted to play football, and asked me to teach him some things, since he wanted to be a receiver like I was. Then he played rugby and fell in love with it, so he never played football. He played rugby for the Grayson Griffins for 2 years before going to college.

Last edited:

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor

so if your son seriously wanted to pursue a "white" sport like lacrosse, golf, ice hockey or gymnastics???

Would you still be cool?

My son actually plays golf and is pretty good at it. He's playing the noise tackle and guard/tackle positions in football. Again, if it's something positive and productive I have to support my kids. I will not teach them to live in fear and harp on the bad things in life that can happen to them.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
My son actually plays golf and is pretty good at it. He's playing the noise tackle and guard/tackle positions in football. Again, if it's something positive and productive I have to support my kids. I will not teach them to live in fear and harp on the bad things in life that can happen to them.

so real didn't even finish the post with a chick

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

^^^^

my daughter now wants to play golf, tennis, soccer, ice skating and lacrosse.

I know almost nothing about most of those sports but it makes her so happy and she is running with all these different kids economic ethnic etc. If builds her confidence she learns about healthy competition but I'd lie if I dont worry every time I see on the field EVEN golf :lol:

I do worry sometimes she is doing to much and I she COULD get hurt but as long as THEY want to do it its safe and I can support them doing it I think its great..

Brother Blues

Deceased - Nov. 4, 2015
BGOL Legend
ever concerned, or had a scare on the field?

My son,now a senior....been playing lacrosse for 4 years now in college.

They are in Florida all this week...playing in a tournament at Disney.

They had a game Monday night,practice Tuesday morning...

Phone rings....he tore his achilles:smh:

First injury,ever...little league,4 years of high school football,7 years LAX:smh:

I feel really bad for him...

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor

First injury,ever...little league,4 years of high school football,7 years LAX:smh:

Damn, sorry to hear about that Blues. Keep us posted on his recovery man. I'm hoping for the best for your son man. :yes:

l6am.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

prayers are with him

all the best fam

speedy and full recovery

BGLR1212000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No earlier than 13. If you have the athleticism, the skills can be taught in a very short amount of time.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
NFL-Affiliated Doctor Says Football Is Safer Than Riding A Bike

NFL-affiliated doctor and Clinical Professor of Neurological Surgery Joseph Maroon said during an interview on the NFL Network Tuesday that all this yelling and screaming about the dangers of football -- and in particular, youth football -- has gone too far. He even deemed the sport safer than riding a bike.

Maroon, who has at least two connections to the NFL -- one as a consultant to the NFL’s Head, Neck and Spine Committee, and another as the Pittsburgh Steelers’ team neurosurgeon -- labeled concerns about the degenerative brain disease known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) “over-exaggerated.” Parents, he said, shouldn’t stop their football-loving kids from getting on the field.

From the interview:

There are more injuries to kids from falling off bikes, scooters, falling in playgrounds than there are in youth football. Again, it’s never been safer. Can we improve? Yes, we have to do better all the time to make it safer, but I think if a kid is physically able to do it and wants to do it, our job is to continue to make it safer.

But it’s much more dangerous riding a bike or a skateboard than playing youth football.

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/OVUdBt2KnnV/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>​

Maroon has a history of downplaying the dangers of football. According to Vox, he participated in a study as recently as 2013 that attempted to justify hits during youth football practice, which is something Pop Warner has decided to limit in recent years.

There is still much that is unknown about the long-term effects of youth football. But a recent study of former NFL players’ cognitive abilities found that those who started playing the sport before the age of 12 performed "significantly worse" on a series of tests than those who started later in life.

Participation in Pop Warner football, the largest youth football program in the country, has dropped significantly in recent years, and surveys have found that as many as half of Americans no longer want their child to play football.

That’s almost certainly due in part to concerns about the long-term consequences of the sport. Recent research has found that youth football players often experience head hits that parallel those at the high school and college level, but whether head hits at a young age affect someone more than head hits later on is not entirely clear.

There is more known about the effects of football at the professional level, since a number of former players have donated their brains to science. The NFL itself estimates that nearly 30 percent of players could develop Alzheimer’s or depression as a result of their playing careers, but other studies have reached more dismal conclusions. After researchers in Boston teamed up to look at 79 former NFL players’ brains, for example, they found signs of brain injury in 76 of them.

“I really believe that [football has] never been safer," Maroon said Tuesday. “The rules changes, the safer tackling techniques, the medical management of concussions [are] so much better than [they ever have] been in the history of the sport.”

San Francisco 49er Chris Borland retired abruptly this week after researching the effects of football on the brain. He said he was concerned for his long-term health.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/18/nfl-doctor-youth-football-bike_n_6895584.html

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Don’t Let Kids Play Football

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/07/opinion/dont-let-kids-play-football.html?_r=0

Sacramento — WE’VE known since 1964 that cigarette smoking is harmful to your health. We’ve known for more than 40 years that alcohol damages the developing brain of a child. We’ve known since the mid-70s that asbestos causes cancer and other serious diseases. Knowing what we know now, we do not smoke in enclosed public spaces like airplanes; we have passed laws to keep children from smoking or drinking alcohol; and we do not use asbestos as an industrial product.

As we become more intellectually sophisticated and advanced, with greater and broader access to information and knowledge, we have given up old practices in the name of safety and progress. That is, except when it comes to sports.

Over the past two decades it has become clear that repetitive blows to the head in high-impact contact sports like football, ice hockey, mixed martial arts and boxing place athletes at risk of permanent brain damage. There is even a Hollywood movie, “Concussion,” due out this Christmas Day, that dramatizes the story of my discoveries in this area of research. Why, then, do we continue to intentionally expose our children to this risk?

If a child who plays football is subjected to advanced radiological and neurocognitive studies during the season and several months after the season, there can be evidence of brain damage at the cellular level of brain functioning, even if there were no documented concussions or reported symptoms. If that child continues to play over many seasons, these cellular injuries accumulate to cause irreversible brain damage, which we know now by the name Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or C.T.E., a disease that I first diagnosed in 2002.

Depending on the severity of the condition, the child now has a risk of manifesting symptoms of C.T.E. like major depression, memory loss, suicidal thought and actions, loss of intelligence as well as dementia later in life. C.T.E. has also been linked to drug and alcohol abuse as the child enters his 20s, 30s and 40s.

The risk of permanent impairment is heightened by the fact that the brain, unlike most other organs, does not have the capacity to cure itself following all types of injuries. In more than 30 years of looking at normal brain cells in the microscope, I have yet to see a neuron that naturally creates a new neuron to regenerate itself.

We are born with a certain number of neurons. We can only lose them; we cannot create new neurons to replenish old or dying ones.

In 2011, the two leading and governing professional pediatrics associations in the United States and Canada, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Canadian Pediatric Society, published a position paper recommending that children should no longer be allowed to engage in high-impact contact sports, exemplified by boxing, and willfully damage their developing brains.

Since then, researchers have independently confirmed that the play of amateur or professional high-impact contact sports is the greatest risk factor for the development of C.T.E. Where does society at large stand now, knowing what we know?

As physicians, it is our role to educate and inform an adult about the dangers of, for example, smoking. If that adult decides to smoke, he is free to do so, and I will be the first to defend that freedom. In the same way, if an adult chooses to play football, ice hockey, mixed martial arts or boxing, it is within his rights.

However, as a society, the question we have to answer is, when we knowingly and willfully allow a child to play high-impact contact sports, are we endangering that child?

Our children are minors who have not reached the age of consent. It is our moral duty as a society to protect the most vulnerable of us. The human brain becomes fully developed at about 18 to 25 years old. We should at least wait for our children to grow up, be provided with the information and education on the risk of play, and let them make their own decisions. No adult, not a parent or a coach, should be allowed to make this potentially life-altering decision for a child.

We have a legal age for drinking alcohol; for joining the military; for voting; for smoking; for driving; and for consenting to have sex. We must have the same when it comes to protecting the organ that defines who we are as human beings.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
if they want to play football then i'd let them try it out but i'd expose them to other sports...me personally i love baseball but its really up to what they want to do. my dad was great at basketball scholarship the whole 9 it was his love and passion, me i liked basketball i am naturally good at it BUT i absolutely love baseball, and i found out lots of family played in the negro league so that would explain it, its in my blood. i would do what my dad did, even though his love was basketball and he didn't know anything about baseball, because i wanted to play it he learned it, taught it to me, and then coached it so that he could spend extra time with me doing activities. i'm eternally grateful for that

and if they want to hoop, tennis, soccer, football, track, i'll learn it teach it and be involved and supportive one million percent
'I love baseball too ,dad was nice in football and track and so were my brothers but i choose baseball.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
I tried the Fencing Academy off a Groupon deal they ran here in town and my little nigga fell in love with it. Finishes a sparring match drenched in sweat. Discipline, technique, and a surprising requirement of athleticism... plus, Ivy League scholarships by the pound.

You know fencing is actually a good for you if your into boxing some of the same principles in boxing apply to fencing and the workout is intense. My mom did fencing when she was in college and she told me all about her workouts. I heard similar when I took boxing.

ApexV

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why the attack on football all of a sudden? This may be a reach but it is my way of thinking.

I believe football is the most masculine sport out there. There are many things going on to emasculate men. I don't know anyone including my own son and myself who are damaged from playing football. None of the guys who I played with in high school or those guys I coached during my 10 years as a high school coach..

They are currently doing things in schools to make kids less competitive. It is something to think about. Out of the millions of individuals who have played the game for over a hundred of years, I bet the percentage is very small of those who are actually traumatized from the game.

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
the benefits (discipline, teamwork, learning how to win and lose, learning how to fight for what you want) outweigh the risks (injuries) in my opinion...

kids are gonna take their lumps regardless whether its playground fights, crashing bikes, or playing organized sports...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/health/cte-nfl-players-brains-study/index.html

CTE found in 99% of studied brains from deceased NFL players
By Daniella Emanuel, CNN

Updated 2:57 PM ET, Tue July 25, 2017

Now PlayingWhat is CTE?
Source: CNN

What is CTE? 01:55
Story highlights

• Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) was found in 110 of 111 brains of deceased former NFL players
  • The study is the largest of its kind, examining 202 brains of former football players in total
(CNN)Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, known as CTE, was found in 99% of deceased NFL players' brains that were donated to scientific research, according to a study published Tuesday in the medical journal JAMA.

The neurodegenerative brain disease can befound in individuals who have been exposed to repeated head trauma. The disease is pathologically marked by an buildup of abnormal tau protein in the brain that can disable neuropathways and lead to a variety of clinical symptoms. These include memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, aggression, depression, anxiety, impulse control issues and sometimes suicidal behavior.

5 things to know about CTE

It can only be formally diagnosed with an autopsy, and most cases, although not all, have been seen in either veterans or people who played contact sports, particularly American football.
"There's no question that there's a problem in football. That people who play football are at risk for this disease," said Dr. Ann McKee, director of Boston University's CTE Center and coauthor of the new study. "And we urgently need to find answers for not just football players, but veterans and other individuals exposed to head trauma."
The JAMA study is the largest of its kind and all of those studied were required to have football as their primary exposure to head trauma. The criteria for submitting a brain was based on exposure to repetitive head trauma, regardless of whether that individual exhibited symptoms during their lifetime.

Aaron Hernandez's brain will be examined for CTE

The study points out potential bias because relatives of these players may have submitted their brains due to clinical symptoms they noticed while they were living. It also acknowledges the lack of a comparison group that represents all individuals exposed to college-level or professional football. Without that, the study lacks an overall estimate on the risk of participation in football and its effects on the brain.
Out of 202 deceased former football players total -- a combination of high school, college and professional players -- CTE was neuropathologically diagnosed in 177, the study said. The disease was identified in 110 out of 111 former NFL players. It was also found in three of the 14 high school players and 48 of the 53 college players. The study included brains of individuals who have been publicly confirmed to have had the disease, including Ken Stabler, Kevin Turner, Bubba Smithand Dave Duerson.
"The medical and scientific communities will benefit from this publication and the NFL will continue to work with a wide range of experts to improve the health of current and former NFL athletes," the NFL told CNN in a statement, noting that "there are still many unanswered questions relating to the cause, incidence and prevalence of long-term effects of head trauma such as CTE."

NFL acknowledges CTE link with football. Now what?

In 2016, the NFL publicly acknowledged for the first time a connection between football and CTE. In June 2015, a federal judge approved a class-action lawsuit settlement between the NFL and thousands of former players, providing up to $5 million per retired player for serious medical conditions associated with repeated head trauma.
"The NFL is committed to supporting scientific research into CTE and advancing progress in the prevention and treatment of head injuries," the NFL statement on the study said. "In 2016, the NFL pledged $100 million in support for independent medical research and engineering advancements in neuroscience related topics. This is in addition to the $100 million that the NFL and its partners are already spending on medical and neuroscience research."
Questions raised
The study examined both the brain pathology -- which is the behavior of the disease in the brain --and clinical history of every participant. It identified four stages of pathological CTE severity among the brains, based on amounts of tau buildup and distribution. Stages one and two are considered to be mild and stages three and four are considered severe.

Inflammation in the brain linked to CTE

Individuals who were reported to have experienced more behavioral mood symptoms during their lifetime were more likely to have findings indicative of mild disease as opposed to severe. These symptoms occurred in 96% of mild cases and 89% of severe cases. People with a mild build up and distribution of tau were also more likely to have died by suicide. Those with a more severe build up, on the other hand, were more likely to have experienced cognitive symptoms, such as memory loss.
The behavioral and mood symptoms in people with mild disease evidence may be the result of other influences, such as neuroinflammation or axonal injury, which is an injury to the brain cells, McKee said. The question of pathology's relationshipto clinical symptoms is one they're hoping to answer in future studies, she said.
Dr. Jeffrey Kutcher, national director of the Sports Neurology Clinic at the Core Institute, who was not involved in the study, agreed with the need to further understand this relationship.
"Just because we are describing the same CTE pathology, the collection of tau and the distribution that's consistent with CTE, that doesn't mean it's the only pathological process," Kutcher said. "There could be others that we are yet to identify. So I think its important that we don't just focus on one pathology, and that we start looking for others."
Seeking help
Studies like this have the potential to create a powerful narrative for football players who read them, but may not have a full understanding of the science or the bias in the sample, Kutcher said. This could lead players to believe that they are damaged and that there is no use in seeking help, he said.
"To me, that is one of the biggest issues we have right now," Kutcher said. "Not emphasizing that people should seek treatment for their problems."

Former NFL player Kevin Turner diagnosed with CTE

Although the disease cannot be formally diagnosed until after death, many of the symptoms of CTE that may be experienced during a lifetime, such as depression or anxiety, are treatable, Kutcher said. That is why its important for someone experiencing these symptoms to access a comprehensive evaluation by a neurologist, and work with them to figure out a treatment plan.
Kutcher said its also important to consider that the brains examined in the study came from players who played decades ago. Most of the participants with CTE played football during the 1950s, '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s, McKee said, with the rest having played in the 2000s and 2010s.
The experiences of the majority were different from those who play the sport today, Kutcher said, and there was not the same awareness, medical protocols or equipment to prevent brain injuries.
"My rule as a physician, as a neurologist, is to protect and promote the brain health of my patients over the course of a lifetime, no question about that. You have to look at the total person though," Kutcher said. "You have to understand why people play sports. It's an individual decision, everybody gets different things out of it. You also have to understand what the arc of their life is going to be, what their health is going to be at the end of their career."
Next steps
McKee and her colleagues are currently working to understand more about CTE and who is most susceptible to it. They are looking at the lengths of exposure to head trauma, the age of first exposure, the lengths of playing careers and how that relates to the risk of CTE and its pathological severity, she said.