Black Man of the Day: Ta-Nehisi Coates - Award Winning Writer, Black Panther NEW BOOK: The Message

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Black-Panther-2-2nd-printing.jpg

Marvel To Release Black Panther/Run The Jewels Variant Cover

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://www.playboy.com/articles/bom...R&utm_medium=Playboy&utm_campaign=Playboy.com

Bomani Jones Takes us Behind the Scenes of his Ta-Nehisi Coates Playboy Interview

c_fit%2Ch_1280%2Cq_80%2Cw_720%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fimages-origin.playboy.com%2Fogz4nxetbde6%2F5oyK4m4NVYIS4gGkOKaqau%2F8192e8a1d9fb5892f62f62d1c291f1c2%2Fmain_playboy-bomani-jones.jpg

Back in April, ESPN’s Bomani Jones flew to Paris and spent two days with Ta-Nehisi Coates, author of the seismic Atlantic cover stories “The Case For Reparations” and “The Black Family in the Age of Mass Incarceration” and the National Book Award winnerBetween the World and Me. The resulting Playboy Interview, part of our first-ever Freedom issue, was published online yesterday. Jones, who’s written for Playboy.com on pop-culture figures as wide-ranging as David Bowie and Bill Cosby, was kind enough to give us a glimpse at his time with Coates—from the effects of rapid fame to the challenges of ordering dinner in French.

Read on for a a behind-the-curtain look at our July/August Interview.

When you got to Paris, what surprised you based on what you knew about Ta-Nehisi Coates?
I think the most surprising thing about him is the balance between the confidence he has in his ability and that he always seems to be in touch with failures he’s had in the past. Not that those failures stop him, but from having experienced those failures, it almost necessitates him to not be afraid of them anymore. Life involves having to do a lot of hard things you might not be good at, and that really seems to drive him. Just because you’ve done one or two of these things that have gone very well, that almost necessitates having to do the comic book because that’s not easy.

That’s something that really shines through in the interview: his duality between being very assured but also extremely aware of his weaknesses and surprised by his success.
There’s a thin line between self-awareness and insecurity, and he seems to be comfortably in the middle of that line. The fact that the modesty wasn’t false was really striking. You get to the point where you’re like, Oh wow, this is really it; this person’s reached these heights that he’s never really thought about. He enjoys the work that he does but the fame that’s come with it really seems to shock him.

Do you think that celebrity has changed him?
I think he acknowledges that there are certain things about moving up in class that are more comfortable and he appreciates, but I never got the feeling that it changed him. His sensibilities, perhaps, but not him at his core. I think this happens when you reach a level of fame in your thirties or early forties. You know who you are already, so the adulation and all the things that comes with it—if you never sought those things before, they’re not really going to change you.

You mention in the intro that he’s incredibly friendly guy with a generous laugh, but there were also moments of discomfort.
Well, I think there was a certain level of discomfort because even though he recognizes his failures, that doesn’t mean he’s excited to talk about them. And I think that’s counterbalanced by a certain level of discomfort with the praise he’s received. I got the feeling that sitting around talking about himself is not something he really enjoys.

Do you think the setting of Paris affected the conversation? Would it have been different if he had come back to the states for it?
I think a big thing about talking in Paris was that it decreased the connection he had with our insane election cycle right now—being away from it and reading about it, but not being inundated with it all day long. And because he talked about the ugly nature of being in a place where you don’t know the language and you’re trying to learn it and that he feels like he’s always losing, I wonder how much that puts you in touch with your recognition that not everything you do is going to go the way you want.

When I walked in, I did a very businesslike handshake and messed up the dap hug that he was expecting.

What was your take on Paris, outside of the Interview?
The experience in Paris I noticed, even before I talked to [Coates], was that it’s interesting to be observed first as an American before being observed as being black. I could tell that very, very quickly. I could also tell that the reputation the French have for being rude was overstated. I found as long as you give it a try with the language, they were very appreciative and very helpful in spite of the fact that they spoke my language far better than I spoke theirs, and I’m in their world.

What about in the restaurant; was he talking to the staff in French?
Yeah. The restaurant is actually across the street from his apartment. So he and the cook, I assume he owned the place, had a bit of a rapport. It was interesting to see him speaking in French because you could see the translation in his head taking it from English and turning it into French. But he was very comfortable in the place, and the gentleman who owned the place was very comfortable with him being there. He seemed very comfortable being in Paris.

Did he want to pick your brain about sports?
Just a little bit, not so much. I get the feeling that he enjoys sports, but he’s not consuming it at a molecular level like most people who want to talk to me about those things. One interesting thing was how many times he would make a reference back to me in talking about something. Even when we were talking about him, there was a “Hey, let’s talk about you” element that, for a lot of journalists, is the natural inclination. You’re not accustomed to being the subject. I found him to be friendlier than I expected to the point that, when I walked in, I did a very businesslike handshake and messed up the dap hug that he was expecting. I was expecting him to be like, “Oh, here’s someone sent to interview me.”

Was there anything that you were extra reluctant to cut?
We talked a bit about Trump, but not really that much at the time. I don’t think there’s an in-depth discussion for him to have because he sees the Trump thing as very simple to understand and to grasp. So it doesn’t really behoove you to talk that much about it.

Are there parts of the interview that you sensed people would jump on once it was out? Anything you were expecting Twitter to blow up about?
I think it will be a certain segment of Twitter, but the stuff he said about Charles Murray and Andrew Sullivan I found to be the most interesting. “The African’s right to be wrong is sacred” was a fascinating one because it’s true. He said that, when he says something is crazy, they something is Harvard, which I think is a very profound thing to bring up about what room you have to say things off the cuff, and if you’re wrong, what room you have to recover. So I think a lot of that will catch people’s eyes. And I think the stuff about Hillary because I think that was a pretty strident critique.

So what stuck with you above and beyond anything else when you left Paris?
As someone who has gotten knocked down a lot on the way to where I was, I find myself very much struck by the way he’s been able to absorb all of this. Things about hero worship and idolatry that he thought were crazy before they happened to him, he still finds to be crazy. It’s easy to be super left-wing until your taxes get too high, right? And this is one of those people who gets all that money and says, “Well, these taxes are still my fair share,” and rides it out. I think that’s what struck me above all else: that we’re at this point and he still can’t believe it’s happened either.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Black Panther Director Ryan Coogler: Ta-Nehisi Coates Has 'Absolutely' Influenced the Movie

24-coogler-panther.w529.h529.jpg

One of the highlights of Marvel’s massive Hall H panel at San Diego Comic-Con was the Black Panther portion, when an array of exceedingly talented black artists — actors Chadwick Boseman, Lupita Nyong'o, Michael B. Jordan, and Danai Gurira; and writer/director Ryan Coogler — stood side by side to hype up the studio’s first majority-black-cast film. It’s set to be released in 2018, but superhero fans already have a critically acclaimed and best-selling Panther story to tide them over: the current Marvel comic of the same name,written by MacArthur Genius Ta-Nehisi Coates, penciled by Brian Stelfreeze, and colored by Laura Martin. As it turns out, Coogler’s a big fan.

“Oh, I love it, man,” the filmmaker said when I asked him what he thinks of the series. “I mean, he’s my favorite writer right now in the world. Since being turned on to his work, I’m reading everything that he does. His nonfiction work, especially. But what he’s doing with Panther is just incredible. You can really see his background as a poet in some of the dialogue. And what Brian Stelfreeze is doing with the visuals in that book. And some of the questions that it’s asking. It’s just inspiring for [co-screenwriter] Joe Robert Cole and myself."

“So, it’s influenced the way you think about the character?” I asked. “Absolutely, absolutely,” he replied. “What’s so great about Panther is he’s a superhero who, if you grab him and ask him if he’s a superhero, he’ll tell you, ‘No.’ He sees himself as a politician, as a leader in his country. It just so happens that the country is a warrior-based nation where the leaders have to be warriors, as well, so sometimes he has to go fight. I think starting at that is really so interesting. If you look at that, anything that’s happening in the world right now, or in the world in the past, in the political realm and how people deal with each other, it can be an inspiration.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘Black Panther': Ryan Coogler and Kevin Feige Explain First Trailer Footage
BY CHRIS CABIN JUNE 10, 2017

SHARE TWEET

black-panther-600x200.png

Let it be known now that 2017 was the year that Marvel figured out something that anyone with half a brain has known for decades: style matters. Okay, if you consider that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther were in production in 2015 and 2016, they learned this lesson a year or two ago, but you get my meaning. Compared even with the breathless efficiency and kinetic action sequences of Captain America: Civil War, as directed by the Russo brothers, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and just the trailer for Ragnarok have more thoughtful visual sensation packed into their runtimes than arguably the Russos have in three Marvel films thus far. The same goes for the gorgeous-looking Black Panther trailer from last night.

Indeed, putting Ryan Coogler, the brilliant young filmmaker behind Creed and Fruitvale Station, behind the lens of a Marvel movie all but guarantees a better movie than the glut of Marvel products that have seen release thus far. And when the trailer was released last night, the hasty Twitter analysis kicked off with a bang with special attention being paid to Michael B. Jordan‘s villain (and his hair) and the quick shot of Angela Bassett‘s Ramonda, the white-dreaded mother of T’Challa. Another major point of focus was the opening scene between Andy Serkis‘ Ulysses and Martin Freeman‘s Agent Ross, talking about Wakanda, Black Panther’s homeland, and EW got a pair far more knowledgeable than your basic Twitter theorists to talk about that scene and the trailer: Coogler himself and Kevin Feige. The duo gave a number of quotes about the footage in the trailer, including the opening scene, and revealed key details, all of which you can take a look at below.

Image via Marvel Studios

The interrogation scene that opens the first Black Panther trailer takes place at a secret security station in Korea, where Chadwick Boseman‘s hero, T’Challa, and Danai Gurira‘s Okoye, his security chief, watch on. Here’s what Coogler had to say about the scene:

“One person knows quite a bit about Wakanda and another person who thinks they do, but they don’t…but I thought it would be awesome to start with a character who has seen Wakanda in its true light.”

Not long after that, there are images of a space shuttle descending into Wakanda – the shuttle is called a Royal Talon Fighter and is manned by T’Challa. These images are from a flashback to our hero returning home after his father’s passing to take up his role as the King of Wakanda, and one can glimpse the Warrior’s Falls, the people of Wakanda, and Zuri, Forest Whitaker‘s character, in those shots. Here’s what Coogler had to say about Zuri:

“Spirituality is something that exists in Wakanda in the comics, and it’s something we wanted to have elements of in the film. Forest’s character, more than anything, is a major tie-back to T’Challa’s father. Zuri is someone he looks to for guidance.”

Image via Marvel Studios

Feige and Coogler also commented on the shots of Wakandan children in the trailer and how their work ties back to Zuri’s spiritual guidance and Vibranium:

Feige: “People who read the comics would be familiar with the Heart-Shaped Herb and the ceremonies that surround that…That’s partially spiritual. We certainly don’t call it magic, but there’s Vibranium that has been interwoven within that soil and that land for thousands of years, so there are other things going on with it.”

Coogler: “The Heart-Shaped Herb is how Black Panther achieves his powers. He can fight hand-to-hand with Cap, who’s a supersoldier, so he has super strength and heightened instincts that give him his enhanced abilities…The Heart-Shaped Herb is what Black Panthers over the generations would consume, once they earn the title, which gives them their physical edge.”

Serkis’ Ulysses Klaue was the first villain from the Black Panther universe to be given a proper introduction – in Avengers: Age of Ultron – but he’s seemingly a secondary villain in Black Panther. The number one would be, of course, Jordan’s Erik Killmonger, the man in the weird mask and also a Wakandan exile looking to take back his homeland by force. We get a few shots of him in action, as well as brief glances at Isaach De Bankolé‘s lip-plated elder and Daniel Kaluuya‘s W’Kabi, one of T’Challa’s loyal guards.

Image via Marvel Studios

There’s also M’Baku, played by Winston Duke, the leader of the mountain tribe, who originally went by the name “Man Ape” in the comics, where he was one of T’Challa’s most notorious foes. In one shot, he can be seen in ritual combat with Killmonger, and there are numerous instances where we can see Florence Kasumba‘s Ayo, the bodyguard who was ready to disassemble at least one Avenger for getting too close to T’Challa in Civil War.

Ayo is part of the Dora Milaje, T’Challa’s security detail, members of which are also all over the trailer, whether in battle with Killmonger or beside him at the UN when he makes an appearance to represent his people. Other defenders of the king include his sister, Shuria (Letitia Wright), who Coogler describes as both a warrior and a brilliant scientist with the know-how of a Tony Stark. And then there’s Lupita Nyong’o‘s Nakia, another member of the Dora Milaje who carries out high-risk spy missions for T’Challa.

Image via Marvel Studios

The final images of the trailer, as EW’s Anthony Breznican points out, look to be set back in Korea, where the interrogation from the beginning occurred. It’s clear that the movie will feature shifts in time at least from the events of Civil War to more modern events – including a mysterious museum heist – but it’s not clear how the narrative will be built. That’s for the better at this point, as the images that the trailer produced alone are making my impatience to see Black Panther nearly unbearable.

Black Panther will be in theaters on February 18th, 2018.

Image via Marvel

Image via Marvel Studios

Image via Marvel Studios

Image via Marvel Studios

http://collider.com/black-panther-trailer-explained-ryan-coogler-kevin-feige/#marvel-studios

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
https://screenrant.com/black-panther-brother-prequel-comic-rise/

Black Panther’s Secret Brother Returns in Prequel Comic

WARNING: Spoilers for Rise of the Black Panther #5

The latest Rise of the Black Panther comic sees T’Challa fighting two of his half brothers – the White Wolf, and a new secret sibling he had never known before. We’ll soon see a Dora Milaje comic where Okoye, Aneka, and Ayo team-up with Spider-Man, the X-Men, and the Avengers. But before that, the early years of T’Challa’s life are being explored in a limited prequel series.

Rise of the Black Panther kicked off showing T’Challa and Namor’s first fight before doing the same with the Winter Soldier and Doctor Doom. The series has also slowly been showing us the origin of Erik Killmonger, changing things a bit from his previous comic book backstory to make his plight more sympathetic. Though he still differs a bit from the MCU take on the villain, it seems Marvel is trying to thread the rogue back into the Black Panther pantheon after the character’s modern absence from the page.

This week, Killmonger leaps forward in his villainous evolution – while T’Challa learns some secrets about his family.

RELATED: DAREDEVIL LEADS HUNT FOR WOLVERINE, BACK FROM THE DEAD
Rise of the Black Panther #5 picks up from the revelation last issue that one of T’Challa’s family members is responsible for opening the country to Doom’s meddling. As such, things kick off with a very out-of-character T’Challa attacking his half-brother Hunter aka the White Wolf.

MCU fans may be confused by the person bearing the name after Bucky Barnes became the movie version of White Wolf. But Bucky actually borrowed the moniker from a long-established comic character who T’Chaka took into his family when Hunter’s parents died. Since then, he’s lead the Hatut Zeraze (the War Dogs), who act as Wakanda’s secret police.

As most superhero fights tend to do, the battle cools down when it’s revealed that T’Challa has another half-brother: Jakarra. Another comic book deep-cut, Jakarra debuted in Black Panther #6 back in 1977. A child that King T’Chaka had with another woman, Jakarra tries claiming his supposed birthright by exposing himself to raw Vibranium, mutating himself into a monstrous creature. He died four issues later, but Rise of the Black Panther condenses things in the retelling.

Jakarra isn’t a kingdom-ending threat, thanks to Black Panther’s renewed romance with Storm, which brings the X-Woman to his aid. But Black Panther learns there are far more secrets in his family’s history than he’s comfortable with. This actually helps the story mirror the MCU a bit, with Jakarra taking the place of Killmonger as a secret family member.

The issue also sees Killmonger begin to murder—in brutal fashion—a number of high-ranking Wakandans as part of his own efforts to take control of the country. His drive for conquest looks similar to the Killmonger of the MCU, and with just one issue left in this origin series, the rise of the villain will likely be the conflict that defines the series.

The issue is packed full of great moments for fans of T’Challa’s comic history, while also pointing towards some future stories for the king of Wakanda—though they’ll have to wait as Black Panther is heading to space.

Black-Panther-Rise-Comic-White-Wolf-Hunter.jpg

Black-Panther-Comic-Rise-White-Wolf.jpg

Black-Panther-Comic-Brother-Jakarra.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
https://screenrant.com/new-captain-america-comic-coates/

https://screenrant.com/black-panther-writer-ta-nehisi-coates-captain-america-comic/

Black Panther Writer Takes Over Captain America Comic
258SHARES

• captain-america-civil-war-concept-art-black-panther.jpg

Celebrated journalist and current Black Panther writer Ta-Nehisi Coates is taking over Captain America for a brand-new comic series. When Between the World and Me author and correspondent for The Atlantic Ta-Nehisi Coates was announced as the writer for a new Black Panther series two years ago, it marked a change in Marvel Comics. Though a lifelong comic fan, Coates brought a different perspective (and a certain prestige) to the book, which quickly became one of Marvel's biggest sellers ever.

Just as Coates and artist Brian Stelfreeze were crafting a new T'Challa and Wakanda, Ryan Coogler was beginning work on Black Panther the movie. As such, many elements from the book (like Kimoyo beads and designs for Wakanda and its ships) made it into the film. The villain of Black Panther 2 may even draw from the political elements that both Coates' and Coogler's work share.

Now, the mind behind the popular Black Panther book is taking on the Sentinel of Liberty.

RELATED: BLACK PANTHER TEASES MCU’S NEXT CAPTAIN AMERICA?

Ta-Nehisi Coates announced today via a column in The Atlantic that he'll be writing a new Captain America series that will launch on July 4th of this year. Joining Coates will be artist Leinil Yu, while the iconic Alex Ross will handle the covers. The first issue's cover (by Ross) has also been revealed, while Coates spoke about why he's excited—and scared—to take on Steve Rogers.

He is “a man out of time,” a walking emblem of greatest-generation propaganda brought to life in this splintered postmodern time. Thus, Captain America is not so much tied to America as it is, but to an America of the imagined past. In one famous scene, flattered by a treacherous general for his “loyalty,” Rogers—grasping the American flag—retorts, “I’m loyal to nothing, general … except the dream.”

As Coates notes throughout his piece, Rogers is far from a stooge for the American government. As both Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Captain America: Civil Warhave shown, he's one of the first to chafe against abuses of power. And the Captain America of the comics has been doing the same for decades. With Coates now behind Cap's words, we should see the most socio-politically relevant Steve Rogers ever.

Considering that Steve Rogers made headlines over the past year for leading HYDRA as a Nazi ally as part of Marvel's Secret Empire, the publisher is still gaining back some jilted fans. Mark Waid and Chris Samnee's current run of Captain America is aimed at building that momentum, so Coates' announcement can only help.

Along with Captain America, Coates will continue writing Black Panther. In fact, Black Panther is heading to space as part of Marvel's fresh start. While another Marvel relaunchhasn't excited fans, the comics that have been announced so far have certainly been intriguing. And with Coates' knack for character and world building—and his influence on the MCU—his time writing Captain America should lead to some interesting developments.