Central Park 5 member, Yusef Salaam, to run for Harlem state senate seat: sources

dik cashmere

Freaky Tah gettin high that's my brother
BGOL Investor

Yusef Salaam, one of the Central Park 5 exonerated in the headline-grabbing, racially-polarizing rape of a white Manhattan jogger, is running for public office, sources close to his campaign said Friday.
Nearly 20 years after a judge vacated convictions against him and four of his buddies in one of the most sensational criminal justice cases in city history, Salaam has told associates that he is running to fill the seat being vacated by Harlem state Sen. Brian Benjamin (D), who was nominated last week to be New York’s next lieutenant governor.

Associates said Salaam, 47, plans to focus, in part, on issues that made his name synonymous with wrongful conviction: criminal justice and prison reform, police brutality and the abolition of juvenile solitary confinement.
He has worked as an activist, author and motivational speaker.

Salaam has his work cut out for him. Although Benjamin has yet to officially vacate the seat, other likely candidates for the post include state Assembly members Al Taylor and Inez Dickens, who represent adjoining parts of the 30th Senate district.
[More New York] Two dead in separate early-morning shootings in the Bronx, police say »
The district includes Harlem, East Harlem and the Upper West Side.

Benjamin is not expected to vacate the seat until after Labor Day. After he’s gone a special election will be scheduled, and will likely coincide with races taking place in November, officials said.
Salaam could not be reached for comment.
[More New York] Hochul hails New York COVID success, but warns more must get shots: ‘Your safety and the safety of others is on the line’ »

Cops and critics argued that the defendants were part of a group of marauders who menaced people in the park – wilding was the term widely used – robbing, beating and harassing joggers, walkers and people sitting on benches.
All five suspects were convicted, each spending between seven and 13 years in prison.

Salaam served nearly seven years in jail on first-degree rape and robbery charges., and had already been free five years when his conviction was vacated along with the others.
Yusef Salaam (center) (Roca, John)
“The overwhelming feeling that I have towards the police and prosecutors is that they knew that we had not done this crime,” Salaam told NPR earlier this year. “They knew it, but yet they chose to move forward. They built their careers off of our backs. And the law of karma caught up to them.”

Salaam, Kharey Wise, Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson and Raymond Santana all had their convictions overturned in 2002 after a prison inmate, Matias Reyes, said he was the one who raped the jogger, and DNA evidence backed his confession.

mariano42

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good for him! He can use his experience to make a legit change or atleast influence another young politician

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor

the-good-place-clapping.gif

dik cashmere

BGOL Investor

HARLEM, Manhattan (WABC) -- The NYPD has released body cam video of an officer pulling over New York City Councilman Yusef Salaam, one of the exonerated members of the Central Park Five.

It happened Friday night in Harlem.

The officer ended the stop after Salaam identified himself as a city councilman. Salaam says the officer never gave a reason for pulling him over and this is one of the reasons why he is not attending a police ride-along with Mayor Eric Adams on Saturday.

Police say Salaam was pulled over because of his windows' dark tints, which are a violation of state law.

The NYPD released a statement commending the officers for what they called 'professional and respectful' conduct.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

HARLEM, Manhattan (WABC) -- The NYPD has released body cam video of an officer pulling over New York City Councilman Yusef Salaam, one of the exonerated members of the Central Park Five.

It happened Friday night in Harlem.

The officer ended the stop after Salaam identified himself as a city councilman. Salaam says the officer never gave a reason for pulling him over and this is one of the reasons why he is not attending a police ride-along with Mayor Eric Adams on Saturday.

Police say Salaam was pulled over because of his windows' dark tints, which are a violation of state law.

The NYPD released a statement commending the officers for what they called 'professional and respectful' conduct.

Send this to all them Adams fans.

That was a DELIBERATE

I'm not even sure they DID NOT KNOW he was a councilman

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
As much as Adams fucks up I can’t blame him for this one

These cops in ny gung ho when they see tints
Yeah, the New York City police department basically run their selves

Them cops love Adams

You 100%

Once they made my boy scrape them off with his keys on the side of the road.

I should have said this

Adams would never publicly reprimand them for this making them feel even more empowered than they already do.

And that is just as dangerous as specifically send them out to do this.

dik cashmere

BGOL Investor
They do this because the believe we won't respond in kind

And we don't

We should be able to unite and make that man life hell.

That's the only way they will learn

You know what I would put my foot in his ass if he was near me, but the correct way to take care of. This is to sue the fuck out of him. These people haven’t learned their lesson from Trump fiasco.

I would sue the hell out of his bitch ass

Get the lawyer that just banked 83 million out of Trump. Or an associate of hers at minimum.
All 5 of them should sue