COMPUTER QUESTION: The Amount of RAM needed for a Non-Gamer.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So I'm thinking I need to get a new laptop.

My laptop works alright, but gets bogged down if I'm D/L'ing a torrent or using other programs.

My computer specs are as follows:

Lenovo laptop
8 GB RAM
1TB storage
64 bit operating system
Windows 10

I bought the laptop back in 2017.

I just want a laptop that is able to handle more programs running at one time.

I am constantly having to clear temporary internet files to keep the computer running smoothly.

I'm not a gamer. I'm thinking getting a system w/ 16 GB Ram would really help. I know there is more to it than that, but that would
be a start.

Al Smith

Rogue Mod
OG Investor
It all depends on how your system is configured.. There are Win10 builds that only use 1 GB ram or less on boot/system startup.. Do you have a bunch of processes running in the background that are taking up CPU cycles? Do you have antivirus running? Is your hd a platter drive or SSD? You can have all the ram you want, but if your system is bloated with apps that run on system startup, then your system will lag... Also, torrenting is hard on drives(read/write caching) , so using an SSD should be the minimum..

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It all depends on how your system is configured.. There are Win10 builds that only use 1 GB ram or less on boot/system startup.. Do you have a bunch of processes running in the background that are taking up CPU cycles? Do you have antivirus running? Is your hd a platter drive or SSD? You can have all the ram you want, but if your system is bloated with apps that run on system startup, then your system will lag... Also, torrenting is hard on drives(read/write caching) , so using an SSD should be the minimum..
I have some research to do on how everything is set up.

Thanks for the info!

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
So I'm thinking I need to get a new laptop.

My laptop works alright, but gets bogged down if I'm D/L'ing a torrent or using other programs.

My computer specs are as follows:

Lenovo laptop
8 GB RAM
1TB storage
64 bit operating system
Windows 10

I bought the laptop back in 2017.

I just want a laptop that is able to handle more programs running at one time.

I am constantly having to clear temporary internet files to keep the computer running smoothly.

I'm not a gamer. I'm thinking getting a system w/ 16 GB Ram would really help. I know there is more to it than that, but that would
be a start.
I'll tell you, 16-32gb is more than enough. The issue isn't the RAM. What you should look at is the hard drive. If you can get an NVMe type drive, it dramatically improves the machine. Having something with a late processor as well like AMD 7 series or Intel 13th Generation.

I have an older laptop, took out the older type hard drive that came with it, since then put in a SSD and now have 2TB NVMe. I want a gaming laptop, not to do gaming but more for my graphics and messing with AI stuff. But my current old laptop is still fast and runs Photoshop and Illustrator. Major difference I did was the NVMe. Also did upgrade from 8gb to 16gb but didn't notice any difference even with heavy Photoshop usage. The drive made a world of difference

Also check Slickdeals. I see laptops almost daily with great deals depending on what you looking to spend.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
No less than 16GB at minimum. More RAM is always better of course. The more apps you intend on running, the more RAM you'll want to have. I'm currently running 64GB on my desktop but can expand to 128GB if I need to. My MacBook Pro has 16GB on it

Mac's are fine with less than 16

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I'll tell you, 16-32gb is more than enough. The issue isn't the RAM. What you should look at is the hard drive. If you can get an NVMe type drive, it dramatically improves the machine. Having something with a late processor as well like AMD 7 series or Intel 13th Generation.

I have an older laptop, took out the older type hard drive that came with it, since then put in a SSD and now have 2TB NVMe. I want a gaming laptop, not to do gaming but more for my graphics and messing with AI stuff. But my current old laptop is still fast and runs Photoshop and Illustrator. Major difference I did was the NVMe. Also did upgrade from 8gb to 16gb but didn't notice any difference even with heavy Photoshop usage. The drive made a world of difference

Also check Slickdeals. I see laptops almost daily with great deals depending on what you looking to spend.
I had a chance to buy some Nvidia stock back in ‘05 for about $3 a share…I passed. Now that shit is almost $500 a share…fuuuuucccckkkk meee!!!

Al Smith

Rogue Mod
OG Investor
No less than 16GB at minimum. More RAM is always better of course. The more apps you intend on running, the more RAM you'll want to have. I'm currently running 64GB on my desktop but can expand to 128GB if I need to. My MacBook Pro has 16GB on it
That is ideal of course, but I run distros that use very minimal resources. Do a google search for GhostSpectre or Phoenix lite/X-lite... you'll be singing my praises later..

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just to answer a couple of these questions.

So...

HDD
Not a lot running in the background
The anti-virus that comes w/ Windows
NordVPN on startup which seems to eat a lot RAM according to the Task Manager.

Looks like I'm laptop shopping this Christmas.

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
Funny thing is, I never take my damn laptop off my desk :smh:
Get a desktop that will last and have better ram as well.

Also, with black friday being being here, it's a perfect time to get a desktop on sale.

I'm no longer buying another laptop ever again and this desktop is supposed to last for 10 yrs.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Get a desktop that will last and have better ram as well.

Also, with black friday being being here, it's a perfect time to get a desktop on sale.

I'm no longer buying another laptop ever again and this desktop is supposed to last for 10 yrs.
Yeah man... Definitely headed towards a desktop at this point.

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Shit.. the issue is the got dam video card...brah

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
as long as you don't have a ton of processes going at once........you can actually do ok with 8gb of ram.
i currently have 12gb.

Do a msconfig, and click on the Startup tab.....disable any program that you don't want running as soon as you turn on your computer.
That way they will only run when you want them to and not automatically be running in the background.
You'll notice a big difference in the performance.

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
Just saw this scrolling Slickdeals, but again don't know what your pockets budget was for a new laptop, but this is a decent deal

I would only spend that kind of money on a desktop.

Them laptops never last long no matter how much you pay for them.

Like I said, I got 3 dead expensive laptops collecting dust with my desktop outperforming them and still going strong and will be good for 10 yrs.

brace

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I would say the HHD and 8GB of ram are the main culprit. Getting a PC laptop with an SSD Hard drive and at least 12GB would solve these issues.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
I would only spend that kind of money on a desktop.

Them laptops never last long no matter how much you pay for them.

Like I said, I got 3 dead expensive laptops collecting dust with my desktop outperforming them and still going strong and will be good for 10 yrs.
Cost doesn't make a laptop. Certain manufacturers make products that are just a name and don't build quality. Laptops of this caliber, add the higher costs cause of the graphics card.

Everybody has different needs. I used to rely on a desktop, but travel too, so need to carry my laptop cause it is majority of the time used to make me money.
I do graphics, and don't even turn it on for less than $100 or I'm doing a favor for someone. But that's just me.

I've had my laptop since 2017. I have an IT background and cloned my drives and updated the types from SATA to SSD to NVMe. It boots in less than 20 secs. Blazing fast. But only bogs down doing heavy 3d rendering. That's why I'd want a gaming laptop that has a dedicated graphics card.

Computer is a tool for me to make money so the cost is like a carpenter buying a hammer to me.

Browsing the web and a lot of other tasks, majority of that I do from my phone. I work a lot from my phone.

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
HDD and RAM upgrade and call it a day. The only way I can see getting a new laptop is if you need faster hardware aside from those two items.
I actually have a lenovo from around 2012 running Win 10. Only has 6GB of RAM but all I do is use it for my DVS setup (Traktor). It was painfully slow so I went to microcenter and got an Inland SSD for about $25. Copied the OS from the old disk over and was back in business. Thing doesn't miss a beat now.
Oh yeah 16GB is baseline and suitable for MOST people. If you are running VMs and doing heavy rendering then 32 or better.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just saw this scrolling Slickdeals, but again don't know what your pockets budget was for a new laptop, but this is a decent deal

My budget is in the $600-$800 range for a laptop.

Impressive specs on that machine, but I don't think I need or would even use it all.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
as long as you don't have a ton of processes going at once........you can actually do ok with 8gb of ram.
i currently have 12gb.

Do a msconfig, and click on the Startup tab.....disable any program that you don't want running as soon as you turn on your computer.
That way they will only run when you want them to and not automatically be running in the background.
You'll notice a big difference in the performance.
I've done all that and last night my computer was running PAINFULLY slow and was freezing. I don't know what the hell was going on.

Did a defrag and several reboots and I was still having issues last night.

Today I'm back to normal.

I just want my system to be consistent and predictable.