COMPUTER QUESTION: The Amount of RAM needed for a Non-Gamer.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
My budget is in the $600-$800 range for a laptop.

Impressive specs on that machine, but I don't think I need or would even use it all.
Then look for one with integrated graphics. There's many good deals on those for $6-700. Will post something in a few

neptunes007

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Apple said 8gb :o
They are fuckin’ raping people on the ram upgrade. :smh:

Haven’t used OSX in years for my personal. PC/Windows is just better in my opinion. Even with a Hackintosh setup it was cool but they have so much proprietary stuff that I’d rather just go with Windows since practically every program I use is on Windows. Get more bang for your buck especially with GPU’s and processors. Only time I use apple is for my iPad.

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
Was always told AMD is trash and to stick with Intel. Are the newer versions decent?
Yup, I had a AMD laptop and it was fucking up as soon as I turned it on and I had enough time to take it back to get a refund.

I always make sure all my computers are Intel from now on. That's why I pay close attention to the specs. The higher the Intel the better it will be for your computer to last long.

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
As far as AMD is concerned they are great chips and are more of a "bang for buck" option from overpriced ass Intel.
All my desktop gaming builds are AMD platforms. Current is AM4 with a Ryzen 5 5600x. Great chip and a bargain.

The laptops NOW are decent if you stick to the Ryzen 5s or 7s if you are doing heavy work. Ryzen 3 is for very casual users who just surf and lighweight stuff, but still capable for daily office work. Older AMD laptops left a lot to be desired, especially if you're using a program that requires low latency.

There has always been a back and forth with INtel and AMD but AMD shines best with multi threaded applications while Intels always beats AMD at single threaded processes.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
My budget is in the $600-$800 range for a laptop.

Impressive specs on that machine, but I don't think I need or would even use it all.
This is a gaming laptop, low end vid card but for future proofing, should last you a good number of years. I'd upgrade the hard drive to a 2TB drive minimum, they are like $130 or so for NVMe or if you're ok with 512gb then cool.

But I'm sure by next week and through Dec prices will be better on laptops. But giving you an idea.

I'd avoid Dell and HP, but other brands out there are pretty good, plus consider customer service. Like MSI, Asus are pretty good.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is a gaming laptop, low end vid card but for future proofing, should last you a good number of years. I'd upgrade the hard drive to a 2TB drive minimum, they are like $130 or so for NVMe or if you're ok with 512gb then cool.

But I'm sure by next week and through Dec prices will be better on laptops. But giving you an idea.

I'd avoid Dell and HP, but other brands out there are pretty good, plus consider customer service. Like MSI, Asus are pretty good.
Appreciate the info man....

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
I would only spend that kind of money on a desktop.

Them laptops never last long no matter how much you pay for them.

Like I said, I got 3 dead expensive laptops collecting dust with my desktop outperforming them and still going strong and will be good for 10 yrs.

not really.

i have a asus rog from 2012 that will still run anything i throw at it.

i also am typing on an asus rog from 2017 that will still run anything i throw at it.

i also still have my main desktop workstation that i built in 2012 with a 3770k that will handle anything i throw at it and two HTPC's that were built in the mid to late 00's that still run and now play 4K, HDR10+ and Atmos. i just upgrade parts. but they still have the original chipsets.

it really comes down to the internals.

if i was the OP I would be looking at upgrading internals before spending on a new machine. for his usage upgrading to a SSD and doubling his RAM will be more than enough.

for $100 to $150 bucks it would feel like he has a new computer.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I really just found something I need more RAM to be able to use. That is video editing.

My computer completely bogs down trying to use stand alone video editing software.

Web based software is somewhat usable, but there can be enough lag using the programs to make it a little frustrating to use.

p5ych3

Curry Is My God
BGOL Patreon Investor
video editing will will definitely need the the best you can afford.

look up hardware needed for low/mid/high end video editing and start budgeting.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
4 or 5 tabs shouldn't overwhelm 8 gigs. You can prevent programs from starting when windows starts. I only allow programs that need to be running (like my anti-virus) when windows starts.
to piggy back off of this, go into task manager and look for the startup tab. can disable running programs from there if needed.

edit - i see someone already mentioned that.

skypeking

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Is there a video editing software that doesnt covert to large files? Windows free version makes everything triple the damn file size even if you shorten the vid.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I had a chance to buy some Nvidia stock back in ‘05 for about $3 a share…I passed. Now that shit is almost $500 a share…fuuuuucccckkkk meee!!!

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
Is there a video editing software that doesnt covert to large files? Windows free version makes everything triple the damn file size even if you shorten the vid.

DaVinci Resolve will use H.265 or AV1 if you have hardware that supports it.

You can use Handbrake to greatly reduce the file size while not sacrificing much quality.

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member

gif.gif

skypeking

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
DaVinci Resolve will use H.265 or AV1 if you have hardware that supports it.

You can use Handbrake to greatly reduce the file size while not sacrificing much quality.
Appreciate the follow-up. I got handbrake and dropped a 1.4gig movie in and it only took it to 1.2 gigs. Anyone know the right setting to make it much smaller?

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Appreciate the follow-up. I got handbrake and dropped a 1.4gig movie in and it only took it to 1.2 gigs. Anyone know the right setting to make it much smaller?
What's the source? You can lower the bitrate but it will affect quality.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'll tell you, 16-32gb is more than enough. The issue isn't the RAM. What you should look at is the hard drive. If you can get an NVMe type drive, it dramatically improves the machine. Having something with a late processor as well like AMD 7 series or Intel 13th Generation.

I have an older laptop, took out the older type hard drive that came with it, since then put in a SSD and now have 2TB NVMe. I want a gaming laptop, not to do gaming but more for my graphics and messing with AI stuff. But my current old laptop is still fast and runs Photoshop and Illustrator. Major difference I did was the NVMe. Also did upgrade from 8gb to 16gb but didn't notice any difference even with heavy Photoshop usage. The drive made a world of difference

Also check Slickdeals. I see laptops almost daily with great deals depending on what you looking to spend.
TBH, for mulitmedia you need both a fast drive and a good amount of ram, namely to avoid bottlenecks from over taxed ram or slow hard drives.

In your case, Photoshop relies heavily on scratch disks to function properly that's why the NNVME was a good upgrade.

For the other stuff you said you wanted to do, the extra ram will come in handy.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
what settings are you using?

Off the top of my head, to make smaller files

1.720 instead of 1080 or more
2. lower the average bitrate for the encode
3 Handbrake has a web video setting that may knock it down some

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor

Is this a 1080p movie? 1.4gb for a 2-3 hour 1080p movie doesn't leave a lot of room to reduce the file size further without reducing quality.

Like was previously mentioned, you can try dropping down to 720p, reducing the bitrate, and also use a lower quality audio.

Also, which codec are you using? H.264 is old and takes up a lot of space. At a minimum you want to use H.265. It can give you the same image quality with half the file size of H.264.

AV1 will make the file even smaller than H.265 but you could run into compatibility issues if you play it back on a device that doesn't support it.

Keep in mind that lossless Blu-ray rips tend to be 20-30gb, so the movie was already reduced from that to 1.4gb.

brace

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I use a free front end for Handbrake called Vidcoder. It has an option in 'Video Encoding' called 'Target Size' where you can enter what size you want the video to be.
https://vidcoder.net/

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I got a desktop and never looked back.

I got 3 expensive ass dead laptops collecting dust.
Alright man.....

My damn laptop started fuckin' up when I was trying to increase the RAM w/ a 16GB RAM card. Installed the RAM and then the laptop would not boot. Turns out it I just needed to re-stall Windows 10 w/ a boot USB. My hard drive is fine and I didn't lose any data.

What I ended up doing while I was trying to figure out what the hell was wrong w/ my computer was buy a damn desktop....lol.

Here are the specs:

Dell Optiplex 9020 Small Form Factor Desktop with Intel Core i7-4770 Upto 3.9GHz, HD Graphics 4600 4K Support, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, DisplayPort, HDMI, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - Windows 10 Pro​

It's like night and day compared to my slow ass laptop. I didn't relize what I was missing!!!!

Bought a 24in moniter and now I'm in computer heaven. EVERYTHING runs so much faster and smoother.

Gonna keep my laptop for whatever or might just sell it to some kid as a first computer. It's a decent laptop, just needs more RAM.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
Alright man.....

My damn laptop started fuckin' up when I was trying to increase the RAM w/ a 16GB RAM card. Installed the RAM and then the laptop would not boot. Turns out it I just needed to re-stall Windows 10 w/ a boot USB. My hard drive is fine and I didn't lose any data.

What I ended up doing while I was trying to figure out what the hell was wrong w/ my computer was buy a damn desktop....lol.

Here are the specs:

Dell Optiplex 9020 Small Form Factor Desktop with Intel Core i7-4770 Upto 3.9GHz, HD Graphics 4600 4K Support, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, DisplayPort, HDMI, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth - Windows 10 Pro​

It's like night and day compared to my slow ass laptop. I didn't relize what I was missing!!!!

Bought a 24in moniter and now I'm in computer heaven. EVERYTHING runs so much faster and smoother.

Gonna keep my laptop for whatever or might just sell it to some kid as a first computer. It's a decent laptop, just needs more RAM.

I hope you didn't pay too much for that. The 4770 is an incredibly old CPU and only uses DDR3 Ram.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I hope you didn't pay too much for that. The 4770 is an incredibly old CPU and only uses DDR3 Ram.
I didn't. I got a reconditioned one off Amazon for $220. The seller had a really high 4-5 star rating and it comes w/ a 3 month warranty I believe.

It's been flawless out the box so far. I'll report back in a month or so and post how it's doing.

Bought the monitor off FB Marketplace for $40.

I was budget shopping like a mutha!!

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
Alright man.....

Here are the specs:

I'm glad you finally realized how much firepower a desktop has compared to a laptop which is why desktops are better especially the specs. I'll never buy another laptop again.