Discussion: Falcon and The Winter Soldier UPDATE: Captain America 4 Brave New World NEW TRAILER!!!

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member
its gonna have john walker as usagent with cap's shield

EO1YB26WsAEzJic

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan tease the 'odd-couple' chemistry of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

For EW's March issue, the Marvel stars open up about their upcoming Disney+ series and a world without Steve Rogers.
By Devan Coggan
February 11, 2021 at 02:53 PM EST

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

00:02
00:48

Share:'The Falcon and the Winter Soldier' Cast Teases What Sharon's Been Up To, Other Plot Hints
Direct Link

Following in Captain America's footsteps is a weighty task — literally. When Chris Evans' Steve Rogers retired at the end of 2019's Avengers: Endgame, he left his mantle and star-spangled shield to Anthony Mackie's Sam Wilson. On The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, debuting March 19 on Disney+, Sam is grappling with what it might mean to carry on Cap's role — which meant Mackie had to learn how to throw that oversize red-white-and-blue Frisbee. "I didn't realize how heavy it was," he admits with a laugh. "A 10-pound weight hanging off your arm is not the easiest thing to deal with."
Captain America's legacy looms over the next Marvel live-action show, which follows Sam and his surly metal-armed friend, Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan), as they face new threats. Ahead of the show's debut, EW spoke with Mackie and Stan for our March issue, and the two stars teased the six-episode series as part action-packed superhero epic, part awkward buddy-comedy. "There's an odd-couple kind of back-and-forth there," Stan explains. "Like, 'I don't really like you, but I might need you.'"

Sam and Bucky have been reluctant allies since they first bickered over legroom in 2016's Captain America: Civil War. They're both battle-hardened veterans trying to do Cap proud, but they have what head writer Malcolm Spellman calls "a fire-and-ice dynamic."
"There's a real chemistry there," he says of Mackie and Stan, who often improvise insults on set. "Imagine getting to write the first installment of a buddy-cop series, knowing exactly what the rhythm and flavor is with the two characters before you even start."
CREDIT: ILLUSTRATION BY JOSHUA SWABY FOR EW
Both Sam and Bucky have spent most of their screen time in sidekick roles, but the new series will dive deeper into each man's psyche. Sam is wrestling with the aftereffects of the Infinity War and what it might take to become the next Captain America — a role the rest of the world may not be ready to embrace. "The idea of whether or not a Black man could become Captain America just felt like a huge moment and a huge opportunity," Spellman adds.

Meanwhile, Bucky, the World War II soldier–turned–eyeliner-wearing assassin, is still reckoning with his murderous past and how to cope in a world without Steve. "How does that guy function in 2021, in the times of today?" Stan explains. "And there's comedic parts: How does he deal with technology? Is this guy ordering Postmates at home?"
Mackie and Stan aren't the only recurring Marvel vets, either: Daniel Brühl's villain Baron Zemo is back to wreak more havoc after dividing the Avengers in Civil War, and Emily VanCamp's former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, Sharon Carter, will also return. New to the cast is Wyatt Russell as the militaristic John Walker, a.k.a. U.S. Agent — who, in the comics, is a government-approved replacement for Captain America.
Ultimately, Mackie and Stan say they're excited to carve out their own little corner of the ever-growing Marvel Cinematic Universe.
"We didn't lose that feeling of security and espionage," Mackie says. "It still feels like you're in a Philip K. Dick novel [or] a Tom Clancy movie. But at the same time, it's Sebastian and I, and we're idiots, so you get more of us being ourselves."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-Sams-sister.jpeg

Sam Wilson Has A Sister In The Falcon And The Winter Soldier

Sam Wilson has a sister! Thanks to the new official images that Disney released yesterday for The Falcon and The Winter Soldier yesterday, we know we have a new player. Her namey, is Sarah Wilson, played by Adepero Oduye.
The image below had the following caption in it.

“(L-R): Falcon/Sam Wilson (Anthony Mackie), Director Kari Skogland and Sarah Wilson (Adepero Oduye) on the set of Marvel Studios’ THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER exclusively on Disney+.”
That’s new information. I have no idea what Sam’s family situation was in the comics, but in the MCU he has a sister. We have no idea how much Sarah will appear within the show, or whether she will be a character who has a future beyond this show. This will be the first big franchise appearance for Oduye, probably best known for 12 Years a Slave.

I have an idea that Sam may need some words of encouragement from his family in this show. I get the feeling Sam, currently not strong enough to wield Cap’s shield reluctantly gives it up. However, he needs to take on the mantle of Captain America because he is the right man to do it, not because of his strength. I think Sam getting suped up by the end due to some Super Soldier Serum is most likely. That’s just my theory of course, but one of the other images we already shared yesterday shows Sam struggling to remove the shield from a tree. The image tells me my theory was correct, but that remains to be seen for definite.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Anthony Mackie Was Afraid to Make Falcon & Winter Soldier
Anthony Mackie admits he was initially scared to make The Falcon and the Winter Soldier because he felt it wouldn't match the quality of the movies.

BY RACHEL LABONTEPUBLISHED 2 DAYS AGO
Anthony Mackie admits he was initially scared to make The Falcon and the Winter Soldier because he felt it wouldn't match the quality of the MCU's movies. Next month, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier will finally make its debut on Disney+ after being delayed from last August. The series will mark the second Marvel show to premiere on the streaming service and see the returns of Sam Wilson (Mackie) and Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan). It will also star the likes of Emily VanCamp (as Sharon Carter), Daniel Brühl (Baron Zemo), and Wyatt Russell (John Walker, aka US Agent).

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier will take place following the events of Avengers: Endgame, which saw Sam and Bucky's best friend Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) retire via traveling back to the past. An older Steve gave Sam his Captain America shield, and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier will see him grappling with his new responsibility. Making matters more complicated, however, is the United States government's plan to put their own man (Walker) forth for the job. Additionally, the return of Captain America: Civil War villain Zemo has its own nerve-wracking implications.

Anthony-Mackie-as-Sam-Wilson-in-Falcon-and-Winter-Soldier-1.jpg

Mackie spoke to SFX Magazine (via GamesRadar) about The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and shared the initial apprehension he felt about taking it on. He admitted he was "really afraid of the idea," because of the potential downturn in quality. "Working on so many Marvel projects, and seeing the end result and the effect that they have on people, I was afraid that the quality of the production would be taken down for television. I was afraid that you can’t do things on television that you can do in theatres," Mackie said. He went on to say the reactions to Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame only made him more uncertain. However, once things got rolling, Mackie felt much better. He said:

"But once we talked, and once they brought on [showrunner] Malcolm [Spellman] and [director] Kari [Skogland], I knew it was going to be something different. Kari is a phenomenal leader, and Malcolm is an amazing writer. And [Marvel Studios boss] Kevin [Feige] promised me that it wasn’t going to be different. He’s not going to tarnish the Marvel brand by trying to just blow out as much content as he could. And I trusted him on that. They haven’t let me down yet, so I just went along for the ride on faith of their past work. And I was really pleasantly surprised by how great everything turned out."

So far, Marvel fans only have the ongoing WandaVision to base their expectations on what an MCU Disney+ show is like, but that's definitely been enough to put people at ease. The cinematic feel of the MCU has been retained for WandaVision, and it likely will be seen on an even bigger scale for The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. The trailers have all teased an intense, action-packed adventure, and it sounds like it will also have an emotional story to boot. Mackie's soothed concerns further suggest The Falcon and the Winter Soldier will resonate with audiences on the same level as a Marvel movie, which is exactly what fans are hoping for.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier has the opportunity to tell a really compelling story about Sam and Bucky, and who they are outside of Steve Rogers. For Sam, this is diving into what it means to have a Black man take over as Captain America. For Bucky, it's exploring how he's adjusting to a modern day world where he isn't being used as a weapon. Both of those storylines are intriguing, and they'll be told on a scale comparable to typical MCU projects. In short, it's a really good thing Mackie got over his worries.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Anthony Mackie Hypes Sam's Falcon & Winter Soldier Suit Upgrades
As the release of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier nears, Anthony Mackie teases Sam's upgraded suit and how he's more like Tony Stark after Endgame.

BY ANA DUMARAOGPUBLISHED 23 MINUTES AGO

Sam Wilson has some nifty suit upgrades in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Anthony Mackie teases. Only two weeks after WandaVision wraps up its run, Marvel Studios will roll out its next Disney+ series which will see Captain America's two closest pals going on a new adventure following Avengers: Endgame.

Plot specifics are being kept under wraps for The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but between its trailers and what's been said about the project thus far, it's expected to tackle the legacy of the Star-Spangled Avenger. This effectively puts Sam at the center of the narrative being the chosen successor of the mantle and the rightful owner of the shield. But assuming the position will not be a walk in the park for Steve Rogers' loyal friend as there are exterior and interior factors that will prevent him from operating as MCU's next Captain America right away, hence why he remains as the Falcon in the series.

Before assuming his future superhero identity, the actor excitedly talks to D23 Magazine (via The Direct) about Sam's updated gear in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Coming from being snuffed out of existence due to Thanos' snap in Avengers: Infinity War and then coming back in Avengers: Endgame, Mackie adds that Sam is more like Tony Stark in his next MCU outing.

“The wings have become much more pliable, much more dynamic. He's much more of a winged force. Coming out of Endgame and being blipped out and blipped back in, it seems this time around, he really appreciates being alive. He's been even more 'Tony Starkerized' than before."

There are two ways to interpret Mackie's latest quote; his comparison to Tony Stark is either about his upgraded Falcon's suit or Sam's overall outlook in life. The latter option makes for a more interesting tease considering that his dynamic with Bucky Barnes in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is reminiscent of Iron Man and Captain America's bickering in the MCU — at least in their early years of working together. Sam may be wielding the shield moving forward in the franchise, but his personality is more similar to Tony's as both are sarcastic and quippy making it very fun to watch him interact with a more buttoned-up Bucky.

After WandaVision expands the mystical pocket of the MCU with Scarlet Witch and Agatha Harkness' upcoming showdown, Marvel Studios will offer something totally different in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Despite the difference in approach, there's one thing in common between the shows: the events of Infinity War and Endgame are still primary drivers of their narratives. It will be interesting to see how Sam's reinvigorated outlook will affect his arc in the show compared to Wanda's despair.