Dune Discussion Thread[Spoilers Allowed]

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Chris Walken said, more cowbell.

These movies made from High Fantasy can't help but take liberties. There's just no way they can accurately depict all the plots, subplots, sub-sub plots, and nuances of the written word.
If they tried the movie would be 14 hours long - for one book.

Advancements in CGI have made depicting creatures and worlds easier but still the task is virtually impossible. And expensive. Imagine having to bankroll the Thomas Covenant books. Studios ain't in the business of losing money. That's what makes LOTR so unique. So many generations love it they were ready to pony up to see it. That's not the case with nearly every other High Fantasy which, despite fierce loyalty, remain niche properties.

Piff Henderson

Stage Manager of Stage Managers
BGOL Investor
Chris Walken said, more cowbell.

These movies made from High Fantasy can't help but take liberties. There's just no way they can accurately depict all the plots, subplots, sub-sub plots, and nuances of the written word.
If they tried the movie would be 14 hours long - for one book.

Advancements in CGI have made depicting creatures and worlds easier but still the task is virtually impossible. And expensive. Imagine having to bankroll the Thomas Covenant books. Studios ain't in the business of losing money. That's what makes LOTR so unique. So many generations love it they were ready to pony up to see it. That's not the case with nearly every other High Fantasy which, despite fierce loyalty, remain niche properties.
They can solve those problems by turning it into a mini-series. There's no reason a series shouldn't be able to approach the complexity of most novels.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
You think HBO or Amazon studios don't have the money? All of these series are expensive.

And look at the mess they've made of Jordan and Tolkien. Saying you can do it and doing it well are two different things.

Just 3 posts above you yourself said "There's no reason a series shouldn't be able to approach the complexity of most novels."

And here we have Rings of Power and Wheel of Time both of which are laughably simplistic compared to the books they are based and the companies that produce them threw loads of money at them and it still wasn't enough to save them from being mediocre at best. Oh, they may say viewer interest/ratings but money is always the reason.

Piff Henderson

Stage Manager of Stage Managers
BGOL Investor
And look at the mess they've made of Jordan and Tolkien. Saying you can do it and doing it well are two different things.

Just 3 posts above you yourself said "There's no reason a series shouldn't be able to approach the complexity of most novels."

And here we have Rings of Power and Wheel of Time both of which are laughably simplistic compared to the books they are based and the companies that produce them threw loads of money at them and it still wasn't enough to save them from being mediocre at best. Oh, they may say viewer interest/ratings but money is always the reason.
My statement was contingent on their being good writing. That's not a money problem though, that's a talent problem. There's no reason why a series shouldn't be able to reach the complexity of pretty much any novel if there are good writers writing it.

I have no opinions on the series you mentioned because I haven't watched them and I'm not a fan Tolkien. I read The Hobbit and that was enough.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Zaslav better be making his social media private :lol:

WarnerDiscovery+ stock was at $12.70/share (now at $12.27) yesterday. I seriously thought about buying some shares.
But Zaslav has pissed Me off so much with the moves he's made with Warner Bros,
That I was like, "FUCK THIS GUY!"

It's not just about DC Comic Properties to Me.
It's about the entire Film history of that studio.
And how He's literally destroying it.