Fema said they might need some money

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I guess my only question is if you were to get rid of FEMA, what’s the solution? Leave it up to the state to handle disasters?

Anyone know why the Repugs didn’t fund FEMA?

Sango

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I guess my only question is if you were to get rid of FEMA, what’s the solution? Leave it up to the state to handle disasters?

Good question. Also, the states constantly get on TV when disasters happen and talk about how they'll need federal government help. I'm inclined at times to offer thoughts and prayers.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Just some numbers to give an idea:
(Numbers might be off a tad)

In 2023, FEMA responded to more than 100 disasters. Survivors received more than $1.3 billion to jumpstart their recovery, with communities and states receiving nearly $12 billion to rebuild infrastructure damaged by disasters.

Grant funding will help these communities become more resilient and more prepared for disasters. In 2023, FEMA provided:

———————————

Since the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, the United States has committed approximately $56.3 billion in security assistance to Ukraine though both presidential drawdown authority and the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative.Sep 26, 2024

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Purchasing and maintaining home insurance should be mandatory to buy/own a home.

It's mandatory to buy and drive a car (most states), so why not for homeownership?

Mofos buy property in natural disaster prone areas then something happens and they lose everything with no ability to be made whole.

Renter insurance should be mandatory for renters. It's generally about 10-20.00 a month.

That's a start.

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Tell em they need money for bombs and then they’ll get that funding quick.

Congress: “What does FEMA bombs for?”

FEMA: “To blow up these hurricanes and protect democracy of course.”

Congress: ”Done!”

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor

Hurricane Helene: Rumor Response
world globe
English
Help keep yourself, your family and your community safe after Hurricane Helene by being aware of rumors and scams and sharing official information from trusted sources.

Do your part to the stop the spread of rumors by doing three easy things:

Find trusted sources of information.
Share information from trusted sources.
Discourage others from sharing information from unverified sources.
Rumors
Search by Keyword
Rumor: FEMA does not have enough money to provide disaster assistance for Helene.
Fact:
FEMA has enough money right now for immediate response and recovery needs. If you were affected by Helene, do not hesitate to apply for disaster assistance as there is a variety of help available for different needs.

October 3, 2024
Rumor: FEMA is asking for cash donations and turning away volunteers.
Fact:
This is false: FEMA does not ask for or generally accept any cash donations or volunteers for disaster response. We do encourage people who want to help to volunteer with or donate cash to reputable voluntary or charitable organizations. After a disaster, cash is often the best way to help as it provides the greatest flexibility for these reputable organizations working on the ground to purchase exactly what is needed.

If you encounter someone claiming to represent FEMA and asking for donations, be careful as that is likely a scam. Government employees will never solicit money.

alert - info
Learn more about how to help after a disaster: How to Help After Hurricane Helene

October 3, 2024
Rumor: Funding for FEMA disaster response was diverted to support international efforts or border related issues.
Fact:
This is false. No money is being diverted from disaster response needs. FEMA’s disaster response efforts and individual assistance is funded through the Disaster Relief Fund, which is a dedicated fund for disaster efforts. Disaster Relief Fund money has not been diverted to other, non-disaster related efforts.

October 3, 2024
Rumor: FEMA is confiscating donations for survivors.
Fact:
Rumors about FEMA turning away donations, stopping trucks or vehicles with donations, confiscating and seizing supplies often spread after a disaster. These are all false.

FEMA does not take donations and/or food from survivors or voluntary organizations. Donations of food, water, or other goods are handled by voluntary agencies who specialize in storing, sorting, cleaning, and distributing donated items.

FEMA does not conduct vehicle stops or handle road closures with armed guards -- those are done by local law enforcement.

October 3, 2024
Rumor: FEMA will only provide $750 to disaster survivors to support their recovery.
Fact:
This is false.

One type of assistance that is often approved quickly after you apply is Serious Needs Assistance, which is $750 to help pay for essential items like food, water, baby formula, breastfeeding supplies, medication and other emergency supplies. There are other forms of assistance that you may qualify to receive once you apply for disaster assistance. As your application continues to be reviewed, you may still receive additional forms of assistance for other needs such as support for temporary housing and home repair costs. Learn more about the types of assistance available. If you have questions about your disaster assistance application and what you qualify for, contact us at 1-800-621-3362 to speak with a FEMA representative.

October 3, 2024
Last updated October 3, 2024

Thank you for posting this

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Purchasing and maintaining home insurance should be mandatory to buy/own a home.

It's mandatory to buy and drive a car (most states), so why not for homeownership?

Mofos buy property in natural disaster prone areas then something happens and they lose everything with no ability to be made whole.

Renter insurance should be mandatory for renters. It's generally about 10-20.00 a month.

That's a start.
Wow I thought home insurance was mandatory when buying a house.

Every house I’ve purchased I had to show proof of home insurance.

I know renters insurance is optional and a lot of people don’t get it (which I don’t understand), but I guess some states don’t require it?

easy_b

BGOL Investor

I know renters insurance is optional and a lot of people don’t get it (which I don’t understand), but I guess some states don’t require it?
Only home lenders require insurance (mainly to cover their asses) if you buy the house outright, you are not required to have insurance.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Homeowners is generally mandatory if buying with a mortgage cause lender mandates it. Cash buyers or frer and clear (inherited) can do what they want. Also there are time gaps when a person lapses and a natural disaster could occur then.

I know FLA has a state insurance fund that will bailout insureds whose insurance company goes bankrupt. It is funded by insurance companies. But what if you don't have insurance?

Every homeowner pays taxes....maybe they should pay into a separate disaster fund so all homeowners have access to funds in the event.

easy_b

BGOL Investor
Homeowners is generally mandatory if buying with a mortgage cause lender mandates it. Cash buyers or frer and clear (inherited) can do what they want. Also there are time gaps when a person lapses and a natural disaster could occur then.

I know FLA has a state insurance fund that will bailout insureds whose insurance company goes bankrupt. It is funded by insurance companies. But what if you don't have insurance?

Every homeowner pays taxes....maybe they should pay into a separate disaster fund so all homeowners have access to funds in the event.
We sort of got that system already set up through our taxes. This is what funds FEMA. Now they need to put more of that tax money towards FEMA because these natural disasters are becoming more and more common.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Tell em they need money for bombs and then they’ll get that funding quick.

Congress: “What does FEMA bombs for?”

FEMA: “To blow up these hurricanes and protect democracy of course.”

Congress: ”Done!”

All this dude care about is United States attack Iran, he wants this to happen. Carolina Souf probably ain’t in his worries

“Lindsay Graham talking about Israel while being questioned about the catastrophe in his own state perfectly sums up how the U.S. government “cares” for its citizens.

Our politicians are so focused on foreign issues because of the money and power that is involved in it that they’re letting their own states drown, literally”