Former MTV VJ Ananda Lewis breast cancer has spread to stage 4 after going against her doctors’ recommendation for a double mastectomy

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Former MTV VJ Ananda Lewis Says Her Cancer Has Spread After She Decided to 'Keep My Tumor'​

The former talk show host reflected on her decision to go against her doctor's recommendation for a mastectomy after her 2020 breast cancer diagnosis: 'I thought I had this'
By
Cara Lynn Shultz

Published on October 15, 2024 02:42PM EDT

Ananda Lewis during 2005 MTV Movie Awards - Arrivals at Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California, United States.

Ananda Lewis in 2005. Photo:
Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
Former MTV VJ Ananda Lewis has shared that her breast cancer has metastasized, and is now stage IV.
Lewis, 51, previously shared that she’d been diagnosed with stage III breast cancer in a 2020 Instagram post — saying that she’d refused mammograms for years due to a fear of radiation exposure.

But during a round-table discussion on cancer with CNN’s Stephanie Elam and CNN anchor Sara Sidner — who was diagnosed with Stage III breast cancer early this year — Lewis shared that she went against her doctors’ recommendation for a double mastectomy following her diagnosis.
Ananda Lewis

Former MTV host Ananda Lewis.
Ananda Lewis/Instagram

“My plan at first was to get out excessive toxins in my body. I felt like my body is intelligent, I know that to be true. Our bodies are brilliantly made,” Lewis explained.
“I decided to keep my tumor and try to work it out of my body a different way,” she shared. “Looking back on that, I go, ‘You know what? Maybe I should have.’ “

Just Got a Breast Cancer Diagnosis? Here Are 5 Questions to Ask Your Doctor

Elam explains in a voice-over that Lewis pursued homeopathic remedies as well as medication and radiation, and better sleep and diet. While she says Lewis improved for awhile, last year the MTV alum discovered her cancer had spread.

“My lymph system really flared up,” Lewis said. “It was the first time I ever had a conversation with death because I felt like: This is how it is.”

“I was just like, ‘Fudge man, I really thought I had this.’ I was frustrated, I was a little angry at myself, and I said, ‘Man, listen. I know you’re coming for me at some point. But I don’t want it to be now. And if you could just wait, I promise when you do come, I’m gonna make it fun for you.’ “
ANANDA LEWIS, for MTV Woodstock, 1999,

Ananda Lewis on MTV in 1999.
Everett

“I literally had that conversation laying in my bed. I couldn’t get out of bed for, like, eight weeks,” she said.
Sidner shared that her diagnosis made her seek more joy in her life, while Lewis reflected on her decision to not pursue the double mastectomy, saying, “My quality of life was very important to me … I want to want to be here. So I had to do it a certain way, for me.”

Meanwhile, the 52-year-old CNN anchor — who underwent a double mastectomy in May — said that her cancer diagnosis made her realize "I want to be here...I want to thrive in a way I have never felt before."

As Elam shared in an Instagram post about their conversation, “I’m forever grateful for their willingness to have this conversation with me - to fully open up for the world. If we can get just one woman to get their mammogram because of this conversation, that’s success. I want everyone to live long, healthy lives.”

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
“My plan at first was to get out excessive toxins in my body. I felt like my body is intelligent, I know that to be true. Our bodies are brilliantly made,” Lewis explained.
“I decided to keep my tumor and try to work it out of my body a different way,” she shared. “Looking back on that, I go, ‘You know what? Maybe I should have.’ “

She's one of those people. Loves science, but refuse to use it when it's used for legitimate purposes.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I watched that interview today at work. I was so disappointed in this silly waynch.
yeah man.....she could have gotten the mastectomy and been in a really good position right now.
But hearing her talk as if she's a physician and on this ole...."I know my body and how it can fight" bullshit....
Mufucka let them doctors do their job so they can save your life.....
FOH

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We as black people need to understand that being healthy is one thing, living healthy is another but God made medicine to help heal us when we are in need and taking a doctor's advice might be best if it's life or death....all over shit, weight loss, arthritis,pains and aches you can do all of that Dr.sebi shit you want but be careful cause there are people who say other wise to some of that.

There's still discrimination for blacks in the medical world, but listen to em.

I wish her the best and hope she gets better soon and I appreciate her decision to correct her message publicly.

godmc

International
International Member
The longer I live is the more that quote from the dark knight becomes more apparent.

“You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.”

Not just see yourself but you see others who you considered intelligent, heroic, better than average, normal etc turn into something else that you do not want to be. She seemed smart enough to listen to docs is what I figured when this story came out in 2020.

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
why r people so stupid with their life? do they not understand the basics of how cancer works? there is no cure for cancer you cant pray it away nor fast it away or detox it away. you have to kill it remove the shit and hope you get it all down to the molecular level cause it will come back. 1 of my classmates got testicular cancer and told it was caught early and his prognosis was almost 100% survival BUT he had to lose that ball and some other parts of his reproductive stuff but he still had a chance to have children and this fool waited and waited cause he wasnt sure he wanted to lose his ball and might not be able to have kids so he went the holistic way and of course it got worst and spread and now he lost both balls lymph nodes and is doing heavy chemo/radiation just to have a 50/50 chance at survival

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Patreon Investor
People need to stop buying into and spreading the anti-doctor bullshit.

She refused to get checked and treated as advised until it got to stage 4 :smh: :angry:

Hopefully it isn't too late for her.

yeah man.....she could have gotten the mastectomy and been in a really good position right now.
But hearing her talk as if she's a physician and on this ole...."I know my body and how it can fight" bullshit....
Mufucka let them doctors do their job so they can save your life.....
FOH
My plan at first was to get out excessive toxins in my body. I felt like my body is intelligent, I know that to be true. Our bodies are brilliantly made,” Lewis explained.

She looks like one of those people that believe in that holistic medicine stuff. I had a sister-in-law die from breast cancer, she'd get the chemo, get a clean bill of health return back to work and then the cancer would just come right back. I think after the third time and it came back once again she told my brother she just couldn't go through the chemo again and died shortly after. Not even a year later her sister was diagnosed with breast cancer too, she immediately had the double mastectomy trying to get ahead of it but the cancer still came back. She was lucky because after the second round of chemotherapy the cancer didn't come back and it's been about 5 years

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Patreon Investor
Didn't she flash those perky tits one time too, just had the nipples covered?

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
why r people so stupid with their life? do they not understand the basics of how cancer works? there is no cure for cancer you cant pray it away nor fast it away or detox it away. you have to kill it remove the shit and hope you get it all down to the molecular level cause it will come back. 1 of my classmates got testicular cancer and told it was caught early and his prognosis was almost 100% survival BUT he had to lose that ball and some other parts of his reproductive stuff but he still had a chance to have children and this fool waited and waited cause he wasnt sure he wanted to lose his ball and might not be able to have kids so he went the holistic way and of course it got worst and spread and now he lost both balls lymph nodes and is doing heavy chemo/radiation just to have a 50/50 chance at survival
They have replacement testicles so you don't even notice. Why take the chance? One ball is better than none.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
She looks like one of those people that believe in that holistic medicine stuff. I had a sister-in-law die from breast cancer, she'd get the chemo, get a clean bill of health return back to work and then the cancer would just come right back. I think after the third time and it came back once again she told my brother she just couldn't go through the chemo again and died shortly after. Not even a year later her sister was diagnosed with breast cancer too, she immediately had the double mastectomy trying to get ahead of it but the cancer still came back. She was lucky because after the second round of chemotherapy the cancer didn't come back and it's been about 5 years
i think she still did the chemo....and changed her diet and whatnot.
i guess she was so distraught over the thought of losing her titties that she decided not to go that route.
but now in hindsight, she's wishing she had.