George Gervin Interviewed by Michael Jordan

Gazoo

The Big Brain
BGOL Investor
Bet most of y'all young cats didn't realize Jordan was on a program called Greatest Sports Legends. Before he made going bald the style.

If I remember correctly, Gervin and Jordan weren't the best of friends, stemming from their time on the Bulls. The Bulls purposely tanked games by limiting Gervins playing time to get into the draft and get Jordan.

No one ever played like the Ice.

PlayerR

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bet most of y'all young cats didn't realize Jordan was on a program called Greatest Sports Legends. Before he made going bald the style.

If I remember correctly, Gervin and Jordan weren't the best of friends, stemming from their time on the Bulls. The Bulls purposely tanked games by limiting Gervins playing time to get into the draft and get Jordan.

No one ever played like the Ice.

Incorrect. Gervin & Jordan played together in what was Gervin's last year in the league. Gervin missed a bunch of workouts, because he was pissed that his was going to be coming off the bench, Jordan got pissed because he missed the workouts.

Gazoo

The Big Brain
BGOL Investor
NBA legend George Gervin says Michael Jordan was disrespectful to him

After 12-time (nine in the NBA, three in the ABA) all-star George "Iceman" Gervin was traded to the Chicago Bulls prior to the 1985-86 season, Michael Jordan said "I have no comment on the trade. Just say I am unhappy."

It turns out, Jordan was disrespectful to him all season. Comparing his first seasons playing with Julius Erving for the Virginia Squires of the ABA to his final season with the Bulls, Gervin told Bill Simmons on the B.S. Report:

"Doc probably appreciated me a lot more than Michael, because I was old and on my way out and Michael was coming in and was really trying to show his presence. He probably looked at me a little different. He used to always call me... 'hey old man.' I said 'you gon get there, hopefully.'"
So it comes to no surprise what Gervin's view was on Jordan playing past his prime in Washington.

"Come on man, sit down, you're one of the greatest to ever do it. What are you doing? Take that number off."
Gervin was a four-time NBA scoring champion and made All-NBA first-team every year from 1978-82. He was enshrined in the basketball Hall of Fame in 1996.

Gazoo

The Big Brain
BGOL Investor
My all time favorite player. I had the poster and everything.

96ADHR11997Gervin-scaled-e1640209510761.jpg