Godzilla Minus One - Shaw Brothers Production looks DOPE!

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
What’s crazy is the film cost $15 million to make and has a global gross of over $40 million in a week.

It’s looking like it’s gonna break $100 million before Christmas.

You would think a film like this would have over a $100 million production cost and would have taken a loss.

This film definitely will make Disney, Warner Bros. rethink on their production costs on their future projects.
What they did that was smart is they carry Godzilla back to its original point he’ll even the movie is subtitle. They did not try to Americanize Godzilla this time he was going to fuck up shit one way or another.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What’s crazy is the film cost $15 million to make and has a global gross of over $40 million in a week.

You would think a film like this would have over a $100 million production cost and would have taken a loss.

This film definitely will make Disney, Warner Bros. rethink on their production costs on their future projects.

If this cost 15million to make...somebody is walking around Japan with 10million in there pockets! Cause this looks like 20 year old green screen technology!!!

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Can't really compare the budgets. High end Hollywood productions are subject to union wages.

Even a modest film like The Creator was considered "modest" at 80 million.

T_Holmes

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If this cost 15million to make...somebody is walking around Japan with 10million in there pockets! Cause this looks like 20 year old green screen technology!!!
You sure you didn't catch the bootleg or something? Because visually, that shit was clean.

Caught this movie last night, and it was glorious. I don't know how to describe it, except to say that the movie feels like what Godzilla is. Rubber suits and toy models and things aside, your mind has always told what Godzilla really would be in life, and this movie delivers that. Your mileage may vary with the human side of things, but I honestly felt like that part of the story was solid as well.

If they only spent 15 million on this, than it's a shining example of how budget doesn't always translate to success. Not that we shouldn't already know that, but it's nice to see it happen.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Does King Kong exist in this universe?

According to Double Toasted No. This is made by the Japanese studio that did the original Godzilla movies. And is not affiliated with the newer Monster Universe stuff.

Also this is set in the late 1940's to mid 1950's. So Post War Era Japan, King Kong is set in present day if not the immediate future.

Here's how the title was explained:
Japan thought they were past the destruction and devastation of war, (1 step forward), now here's Godzilla pulling them back, (Minus 1 step). To back where they were before.

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
For those who have not seen it yet
Try
NOT to watch any movie reviews or previews or spoilers
The youtube clips show a little too much
Trust me when I say.....
The less you see beforehand, the better you will enjoy the movie

The only things you need to know.....
1) Its a Godzilla movie
2) It takes place immediately after WW2 & the atomic bombings of Japan
3) Thats it, thats all you need to know

It was only supposed to be a limited release low budget movie
The powers that be, will probably pull it from theaters in a couple of weeks
To make room for the big budget movies coming out like Aquaman 2, and Willy Wonka
Can't have Hollywood looking bad

:shades::shades::shades::shades:

Last edited:

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
According to Double Toasted No. This is made by the Japanese studio that did the original Godzilla movies. And is not affiliated with the newer Monster Universe stuff.

Also this is set in the late 1940's to mid 1950's. So Post War Era Japan, King Kong is set in present day if not the immediate future.

Here's how the title was explained:
Japan thought they were past the destruction and devastation of war, (1 step forward), now here's Godzilla pulling them back, (Minus 1 step). To back where they were before.
Ok so this is like the classic version of Godzilla not like the new super hero version :lol:

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Isn’t there another Godzilla vs kong movie coming out next year????

I’m not gonna see both , and I rather watch the ape than the lizard

Shit, YES THERE IS!!

They changed Godzilla again and turned the color of his energy aura to pink/ red instead of blue like the past few movies......

Again 2 different studios. Imagine Marvel and A24 both had rights to X-men, Marvel would do big budget, universe building and incorporate other well known own Marvel characters....

A24 would be working on a small budget, probably more focused on drama and story than action, but when there is action....it's done well.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
I might have to take my cheap ass to the theaters to see this
For the past 5 days
I've been searching all over the internet for that movie :(
Had me at my computer like.....

typing-looking.gif
There ain't even CAM versions out. Seems like either Japan is so strict on catching them or cammers won't do it out of respect. Check the post.

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
There ain't even CAM versions out. Seems like either Japan is so strict on catching them or cammers won't do it out of respect. Check the post.

Yeah fam, the asian bootleggers must've said
"Fuck that we're not leaking this movie on the internet"
This been out for almost 2 weeks already
And not even a cam version has dropped yet.....ANYWHERE

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Yeah fam, the asian bootleggers must've said
"Fuck that we're not leaking this movie on the internet"
This been out for almost 2 weeks already
And not even a cam version has dropped yet.....ANYWHERE
As soon as it hits digital, these dudes will drop it on the torrents. Surprised that it's in the US and no one cam'd it. I don't watch them but just weird no one did it yet I guess.

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Isn’t there another Godzilla vs kong movie coming out next year????

I’m not gonna see both , and I rather watch the ape than the lizard
Shit, YES THERE IS!!

They changed Godzilla again and turned the color of his energy aura to pink/ red instead of blue like the past few movies......

Again 2 different studios. Imagine Marvel and A24 both had rights to X-men, Marvel would do big budget, universe building and incorporate other well known own Marvel characters....

A24 would be working on a small budget, probably more focused on drama and story than action, but when there is action....it's done well.

That new....new....Godzilla movie does not come out until April 2024
And they might be on that "Hollywood bullshit" :dunno:
At the end of that preview/trailer
They have Godzilla lookin like Usian Bolt running a 100m race
WTF, he's not supposed to be running that fast, LOL

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Can't really compare the budgets. High end Hollywood productions are subject to union wages.

Even a modest film like The Creator was considered "modest" at 80 million.

There has been a large number of low budget films made in Hollywood that have done big numbers in gross over the decades.

Star Wars (1977) is a perfect example. It was basically an independent film with a $11 million dollar budget (equivalent to around $50 million in todays dollars) and had an initial US global gross of over $700 million when it released in theaters.

shaddyvillethug

Cac Free Zone
BGOL Investor
There has been a large number of low budget films made in Hollywood that have done big numbers in gross over the decades.

Star Wars (1977) is a perfect example. It was basically an independent film with a $11 million dollar budget (equivalent to around $50 million in todays dollars) and had an initial US global gross of over $700 million when it released in theaters.
So u saying Malcolm x cost more than star wars?

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Yet for some reason Lucas had to rework his deal with Fox to help get financing for Empire and you will be hard pressed to find any subsequent Star Wars flick that was made on a low budget.

what foreign Sci fi film made in the 70`s would have a comparable budget to Star Wars?

I never said low budget movies can't make money, the 80's horror era made that clear. I was talking about being able to make a 15 million sci-fi film in modern Hollywood, which it ain't gonna happen unless it has little to no special effects and/or made entirely overseas in a non union country.

You had to pull a 40 year old movie to prove your point. Even then, low budget by Hollywood standards is blockbuster money in certain parts of the foreign movie market.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You sure you didn't catch the bootleg or something? Because visually, that shit was clean.

Caught this movie last night, and it was glorious. I don't know how to describe it, except to say that the movie feels like what Godzilla is. Rubber suits and toy models and things aside, your mind has always told what Godzilla really would be in life, and this movie delivers that. Your mileage may vary with the human side of things, but I honestly felt like that part of the story was solid as well.

If they only spent 15 million on this, than it's a shining example of how budget doesn't always translate to success. Not that we shouldn't already know that, but it's nice to see it happen.

I am going based off of the trailer so that might not look the sharpest when compared to the theaters. Look you can look at most movies and tell they're filmed in a warehouse studio with the walls painted green. Just some are better than others. From the trailer the tech used looked SUPER dated.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Yet for some reason Lucas had to rework his deal with Fox to help get financing for Empire and you will be hard pressed to find any subsequent Star Wars flick that was made on a low budget.

what foreign Sci fi film made in the 70`s would have a comparable budget to Star Wars?

I never said low budget movies can't make money, the 80's horror era made that clear. I was talking about being able to make a 15 million sci-fi film in modern Hollywood, which it ain't gonna happen unless it has little to no special effects and/or made entirely overseas in a non union country.

You had to pull a 40 year old movie to prove your point. Even then, low budget by Hollywood standards is blockbuster money in certain parts of the foreign movie market.

You can make a low budget Sci-Fi film today with less than a million dollars in the USA.

There is plenty of cheap CGI software you can get your hands on and make a decent looking film on a cheap laptop using a iPhone to film.

Look at all those Star Wars Fan Films on YouTube. A lot of those films look better than what Disney is putting out.

T_Holmes

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am going based off of the trailer so that might not look the sharpest when compared to the theaters. Look you can look at most movies and tell they're filmed in a warehouse studio with the walls painted green. Just some are better than others. From the trailer the tech used looked SUPER dated.
Fair enough. I didn't really check out the trailer, but I can see where it might have looked a little dated. The effects are not exactly top tier, but they are solid, and definitely get the job done. I do believe that the full atmosphere of it being on a big screen helps with the immersion.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You can make a low budget Sci-Fi film today with less than a million dollars in the USA.

There is plenty of cheap CGI software you can get your hands on and make a decent looking film on a cheap laptop using a iPhone to film.

Look at all those Star Wars Fan Films on YouTube. A lot of those films look better than what Disney is putting out.
Again how do you do that under Hollywood union rules, which is the question you keep ducking over and over?

You expect people to make hollywood films for free like those fan films?

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Again how do you do that under Hollywood union rules, which is the question you keep ducking over and over?

You expect people to make hollywood films for free like those fan films?

US Union employees is not why these films have high production costs.

Large majority of the people behind the scenes are non-union.

Catering companies are non-union.

All the equipment used for on location filming, all that material has to be trucked in. They ain’t using Union trucking companies to haul all that crap.

With on location filming, lots of on set employees are hired from local temp agencies for cheap labor which are non-union.

When you watch the credits of these big budget films like Marvel/Star Wars, they usually have as much as 10k to 15k people listed in those credits.

Take the time to watch those credits in slo-Mo and you can easily tell majority of them folks are not Union labor.

A lot of the production cost is going into high executive producers and other mofos sitting behind a desk pockets.

Similar to the US Defense budget, that money ain’t going to the troops, it’s going to the Defense Contractors payroll/bonuses.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
US Union employees is not why these films have high production costs.

Large majority of the people behind the scenes are non-union.

Catering companies are non-union.

All the equipment used for on location filming, all that material has to be trucked in. They ain’t using Union trucking companies to haul all that crap.

With on location filming, lots of on set employees are hired from local temp agencies for cheap labor which are non-union.

When you watch the credits of these big budget films like Marvel/Star Wars, they usually have as much as 10k to 15k people listed in those credits.

Take the time to watch those credits in slo-Mo and you can easily tell majority of them folks are not Union labor.

A lot of the production cost is going into high executive producers and other mofos sitting behind a desk pockets.

Similar to the US Defense budget, that money ain’t going to the troops, it’s going to the Defense Contractors payroll/bonuses.

The largest part of the credits for these types of movies are the effects crew, who are already threatening to unionize, they still got to get paid for their work regardless.

And before you go with they don't do much bullshit I've heard some people on this board claim, try to actually understand the complexities of doing special effects for a movie and how hard it is to make it look realistic vs the low budget shit that looks low budget. I don't want to hear about how shit still looks fake when there's been numerous articles on the tight deadlines and last minute changes that affect the quality of these people's work and add costs to the production.

Look up the production stories for the Creator. It was pretty mych shot like a low budget Sci-fi film. People praised the director for how he handled the production, namely perfectly mapping out his shots and effects for the movie. He used a consumer camera anyone can buy right now to shoot it. It really was a textbook production and it showed. Regardless, if how you felt about the plot the visuals were fantastic.

However as I said, even doing it the right way, the movie still cost 80 mill to produce.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor

a better example might be The Creator which cost less than $100 mil.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
a better example might be The Creator which cost less than $100 mil.
according to him 80 mill is still too much. He trying to say it should be easy to make a movie of that quality for 15 mill like the Japanese did for Godzilla.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wanna see this one.

I hear this film made people remember why a gigantic mutated dinosaur is NOT to be cheered.

Yeah G is a huge asshole in this one......

Definitely not the same Godzilla of late.

This mfkr is a mutated 3yr old throwing a city devastating tantrum, in Godzilla vs Kong he's a super powered beast in his prime fighting to be left alone.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Man this shit was EXCELLENT. I clapped when it was over. I haven't done that in awhile. They made this for $15 million :cheers: They need to hire this director for the Star Wars series :clap: