Gov. Wes Moore on the power of BLACK HISTORY

The Catcher In The Rye

Rye-sing Star
Registered

This is our Independence Day episode. And during a time that’s all about national unity (and hot dogs), I wanted to talk about why patriotism has become so controversial. In some ways, it’s not a surprise that after everything that’s happened in the United States over the past few years, there are lots of people—particularly young people and Democrats—who don’t consider themselves proud to be Americans.

So today, our guest is Maryland Gov. Wes Moore, a young Democrat who is on a mission to reclaim American patriotism for people who feel alienated from it. He’s only the third Black person in history to be elected governor and the only Black governor currently in office. He’s also a military veteran, a former nonprofit CEO, and a bestselling author.

Gov. Moore and I talked about how to reframe American patriotism, even while reckoning with our country’s racist past.

The Catcher In The Rye

Rye-sing Star
Registered

In 2018, Hogan was easily reelected after Democrats nominated former NAACP President Ben Jealous, who was tied to the party’s progressive wing. “Moore was different from Jealous in that Moore’s major political gift is that he never comes off as an ideologue,” said Kromer, who runs Goucher College’s statewide political polling operation. “Moore has a message that’s so broadly appealing that he speaks to the moderate base of Black voters. Jealous was just more progressive than the average Black voter was.”
In fact, Moore was regularly described as a centrist or moderate. While he has proposed several expansively liberal initiatives to deal with economic inequities — such as a “baby bonds” program that would deposit an amount based on family income into an account for each baby born — Moore has brushed aside the need for tax increases to underwrite his proposals.“It’s not about raising taxes,” he said during an appearance on Fox News Sunday after his election. “The capital is out there. We need to be smarter about applying it.” He later told the Washington Post that he wants to examine elimination of the estate or inheritance tax to make Maryland more attractive to retirees.

Did Robin Hood teach him how to build trust across the aisle? “I really didn’t come from a political family,” Moore says. “I didn’t come from, like, a political world. It wasn’t tribal for me. When I was working with Secretary Rice, I don’t even know if I fully understood or appreciated that, Oh, I’m working for a Republican.” Rice herself says, “He doesn’t come across as somebody who’s partisan. He doesn’t come across as somebody who’s going to insist that you agree with him. He’s a good listener. That’s a real skill.”
Moore never seems naive, but he’s certainly an optimist and someone who hews to a practical line. He says that his administration has tried to “depoliticize politics,” a phrase I didn’t know exactly what to make of. I suggest that for Democratic leaders the question of whether to fund more policing or support community-based interventions around, say, mental health, has been tricky. “It’s not tricky,” he insists. “It’s common sense. Nobody in real communities is actually saying it’s mental health or policing. Political parties say that. But for the families we’re talking to, either in Hancock”—a small town on Maryland’s border with Pennsylvania—“or Highlandtown”—a dense urban neighborhood in Baltimore—“it’s not either or. It’s both. Do I want to deal with the mental health challenges in Highlandtown? Yes. And do I want to make sure that we have law enforcement who are gonna respond to our calls in Hancock? Yes. I know that doesn’t put me in a specific box. I try to just focus on what people are actually telling me. And the only time I hear a binary choice is from lawmakers. Real people understand that we’ve been given false choices.”
“It seems pretty binary on social media too,” I say.
“That’s not real people. Social media’s not real,” Moore says. “Listen, anybody who’s making their public policy based on what they’re hearing on social media should really find something else to do.”
Exchanges like this may remind you that Moore has navigated his fledgling political career without getting into too many truly bruising fights. MSNBC’s Reid points out that Maryland is by and large a moderate state and that Moore has the benefit of a Democratic supermajority in its legislature. “Meaning that he’s been free to pass a full agenda.” This will be an asset if he has aspirations to a higher office. “He’s easily set up to have a lot of accomplishments,” Reid says. “He can shape his legislative agenda in a very real way. He could easily be marketable in the Democratic Party as a 2028 presidential candidate.”

The Catcher In The Rye

Rye-sing Star
Registered
"Moore’s major political gift is that he never comes off as an ideologue"

My take is that it is easy not to come off as an ideologue when you have no ideology.

Joy Reid is right that "he’s been free to pass a full agenda" and "he’s easily set up to have a lot of accomplishments."

I predict that this presidential talk never materializes anything because Moore's "work with everyone, offend no one" approach is going to limit his accomplishments. He's not going to be able to match governors like Gretchen Whitmer or Josh Shapiro or even Tony Evers in Wisconsin. Not fully utilizing his state's Democratic supermajority will be his undoing.

Bump this thread in 4-5 years, lets see if I'm right.

Last edited:

The Catcher In The Rye

Rye-sing Star
Registered
In 2022, the Democratic Party gained trifectas in Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Minnesota.

Major initiatives in other new Democratic trifectas-- Massachusetts and Maryland don't get a mention:

Democrats Continue Making Progress In The States​

Nationwide, Democratic-led legislatures have taken action to protect or expand reproductive rights, passed legislation to address gun violence and keep our communities safe, and implemented protections for the rights of the LGBTQ+ community. Democratic state legislators are also passing legislation across the country to expand economic opportunity, grow the middle class, and safeguard our Democracy.

In new Democratic trifectas, the progress is especially pronounced. In Minnesota, Democrats codified abortion rights, paid family and medical leave, sick leave, and launched a free school lunch program. In Michigan, Democrats ended a right-to-work law, revived the prevailing wage for state construction projects, scrapped an abortion ban, boosted low-income tax credits, and cut taxes on residents receiving pensions.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Has he raised the minimum wage? Has he cut the check for Coppin and Eastern Shores?

It’s like y’all are afraid to ask this mothafucka to put food on the table.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

A poll conducted recently for Annapolis lobbying firm Perry White Ross and Jacobson and the public affairs company Blended Strategies found that Hogan is viewed favorably by 69% of voters. That’s the same rarified air he enjoyed for most of his eight-year tenure.

Thirty-four percent of voters said they viewed Hogan very favorably and another 35% said they viewed him somewhat favorably. Seven percent said they didn’t know how to rate Hogan, while 15% viewed him somewhat unfavorably and 9% viewed him very unfavorably.

Hogan’s successor, Moore, did almost as well. He was viewed very favorably by 33% of voters, somewhat favorably by 31%, somewhat unfavorably by 10%, very unfavorably by 12%, while 14% said they didn’t know how to rate Moore.

The poll of 813 likely 2024 general election voters was taken Nov. 9-14 by Victoria Research, a Democratic polling firm in Takoma Park. It had a 3.3-point margin of error.

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
everyone has money behind them

how do you think this works?

and lol @ naive

he's been a friend of the family for like over 20 years and i did my first work with him probably 10 years ago. you just out here guessing and speculating.
You said "Wes making himself"

hence my comment.

The only thing I got from what you said is "he's been a friend of the family" so ....he's a friend of your family... :dunno: