Has this every happened to anyone at a car dealership???

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So yesterday i went to 2 different dealerships to check out a couple cars. One was a major car dealership....the other one not so major.
In advance of me going, i went ahead and emailed myself copies of my last 5 or 6 paystubs, in case i needed to forward it to them when and if asked.
At the not so major dealership, I chopped it up with them while I was waiting for them to pull the vehicle out for me to test drive. I had an appointment to
be there at a certain time,....i was hoping they would have already had it out, so that i wouldnt have to wait 15 to 20 mins for them to get it.
(It was one of those dealerships that keep their entire fleet indoors and out of the elements......which i kinda like).
Anyway.....they pull the vehicle out and i jump in. Dude jumps in the passenger seat.....im lookin at him like....wtf you doin? I dont need a fuckin chaperone.
Then he proceeds to tell me that I'm not able to test drive it on the hwy or the major roadways.....and that i can only test drive it on the street in front of the dealership.
(which is like a little side street that is only about 200 yards long before you get to the dead end and have to turn around.....speed limit 25).
I'm like what the fuck?? "How the hell yall sell cars if we're not able to get the car out on a regular fuckin street or get on the hwy to see how it performs above 60mph?"
Dude is like thats just their policy when it comes to their cars. Then on top of that, when i tried to adjust the seat, i found out that something was electronically wrong,
because the seats weren't responding at all when i pressed the buttons to have it go back or recline back......go up, down....nothing. Same for the passenger side.
So dude is like,........"I dont think we'll invest in trying to get that fixed, so if you decide to get it, you'll have to get it fixed yourself".
I was like no thanks. Thanks for your time, but nah.

Now at the major dealership that i went to after that. They didnt want to let me test drive the vehicle unless i filled out an online application first.
Basically wanting to run your credit before letting you test drive the car. So i asked them why did i have to do all that first? And they were like.....well if you test drive
it now and decide you don't wanna get it,...then its pretty much a waste of your time and our time and waste of gas....blah blah blah.
So i'm like fuck it. They let me use their computer to do the online application....name, address, employer, salary per month, etc. (took about 5 mins).
After I was done and submitted it. They were like ok give us a few mins while we process this application. The chick came back....and i guess she had her manager
with her.....and she was like...."ummmm sir, we noticed that you put on the application that you put down for salary how much you make a year and not per month".
I was like....ummm....no,....what i put there is what i actually make per month. So she look at me, then looked at her manager, they both looked at each other, then looked back at me.
She was like, "do you have pay stubs that you can show us?" I whipped out my phone and was like...."whats your email"? She gave me the email address....and i was like..."Sent".
So she went and printed everything out and came back with the manager......and was like...."what do you do?" I'm like does that matter? Where's the car?"
Then the manager was like,...."does your job pay you through direct deposit or do you receive paper checks?" I'm like..."direct deposit......why,....is there a problem?"
And he goes on tryin to explain that during these times they get a lot of people trying to purchase cars fraudulently and whatnot.....and some people have even tried
photoshopping paystubs and shit.
So he was like,...."are you able to provide us with bank statements showing these deposits for the last 3 months?" At this point im fed the fuck up. Mind you, they still haven't brought the car around for me to test drive yet.

I get on their computer again and login to my BOA account......but i didn't print out shit.....i just clicked on my bank statements link and let them see the direct deposits every two weeks for the last 3 months.
Then his whole demeanor towards me switched,....and he was all relaxed and shit....and was like "were you trying to purchase this car today?"
I was like yeah i was......but not anymore. I wouldn't buy shit from this dealership if this is what the fuck i gotta go through just to get a gotdamn test drive.
Told the both of them that i'll be giving them a bad fuckin review and email their corporate office or whoever the fuck it is i need to contact regarding this shit.
They tried their best to appease me and get me to understand why they were reluctant to believe the information on my application.
But i wasnt tryin to hear that shit......i'm like yall sell cars that cost almost a half a million dollars on this lot. I refuse to believe that yall would sell those to people making $20k/yr. FOH.

Shadow

The Dark Lord
BGOL Investor
So yesterday i went to 2 different dealerships to check out a couple cars. One was a major car dealership....the other one not so major.
In advance of me going, i went ahead and emailed myself copies of my last 5 or 6 paystubs, in case i needed to forward it to them when and if asked.
At the not so major dealership, I chopped it up with them while I was waiting for them to pull the vehicle out for me to test drive. I had an appointment to
be there at a certain time,....i was hoping they would have already had it out, so that i wouldnt have to wait 15 to 20 mins for them to get it.
(It was one of those dealerships that keep their entire fleet indoors and out of the elements......which i kinda like).
Anyway.....they pull the vehicle out and i jump in. Dude jumps in the passenger seat.....im lookin at him like....wtf you doin? I dont need a fuckin chaperone.
Then he proceeds to tell me that I'm not able to test drive it on the hwy or the major roadways.....and that i can only test drive it on the street in front of the dealership.
(which is like a little side street that is only about 200 yards long before you get to the dead end and have to turn around.....speed limit 25).
I'm like what the fuck?? "How the hell yall sell cars if we're not able to get the car out on a regular fuckin street or get on the hwy to see how it performs above 60mph?"
Dude is like thats just their policy when it comes to their cars. Then on top of that, when i tried to adjust the seat, i found out that something was electronically wrong,
because the seats weren't responding at all when i pressed the buttons to have it go back or recline back......go up, down....nothing. Same for the passenger side.
So dude is like,........"I dont think we'll invest in trying to get that fixed, so if you decide to get it, you'll have to get it fixed yourself".

Now at the major dealership that i went to after that. They didnt want to let me test drive the vehicle unless i filled out an online application first.
Basically wanting to run your credit before letting you test drive the car. So i asked them why did i have to do all that first? And they were like.....well if you test drive
it now and decide you don't wanna get it,...then its pretty much a waste of your time and our time and waste of gas....blah blah blah.
So i'm like fuck it. They let me use their computer to do the online application....name, address, employer, salary per month, etc. (took about 5 mins).
After I was done and submitted it. They were like ok give us a few mins while we process this application. The chick came back....and i guess she had her manager
with her.....and she was like...."ummmm sir, we noticed that you put on the application that you put down for salary how much you make a year and not per month".
I was like....ummm....no,....what i put there is what i actually make per month. So she look at me, then looked at her manager, they both looked at each other, then looked back at me.
She was like, "do you have pay stubs that you can show us?" I whipped out my phone and was like...."whats your email"? She gave me the email address....and i was like..."Sent".
So she went and printed everything out and came back with the manager......and was like...."what do you do?" I'm like does that matter? Where's the car?"
Then the manager was like,...."does your job pay you through direct deposit or do you receive paper checks?" I'm like..."direct deposit......why,....is there a problem?"
And he goes on tryin to explain that during these times they get a lot of people trying to purchase cars fraudulently and whatnot.....and some people have even tried
So he was like,...."are you able to provide us with bank statements showing these deposits for the last 3 months?" At this point im fed the fuck up. Mind you, they still haven't brought the car around for me to test drive yet.

I get on their computer again and login to my BOA account......but i didn't print out shit.....i just clicked on my bank statements link and let them see the direct deposits every two weeks for the last 3 months.
Then his whole demeanor towards me switched,....and he was all relaxed and shit....and was like "were you trying to purchase this car today?"
I was like yeah i was......but not anymore. I wouldn't buy shit from this dealership if this is what the fuck i gotta go through just to get a gotdamn test drive.
Told the both of them that i'll be giving them a bad fuckin review and email their corporate office or whoever the fuck it is i need to contact regarding this shit.
They tried their best to appease me and get me to understand why they were reluctant to believe the information on my application.
But i wasnt tryin to hear that shit......i'm like yall sell cars that cost almost a half a million dollars on this lot. I refuse to believe that yall would sell those to people making $20k/yr. FOH.
Bruh, I haven’t faced this recently at a car dealership but I did receive some strange looks at my monthly income for another move I was making. It’s the blackness. These places can’t fathom black men having that type of gross monthly income and not being a celebrity. You did exactly right. Fuck ‘em. They thought you had a “black job”…..

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Same happened to me, when I did a test drive sale rep joined me in the car and I could only drive on surface streets around the dealership.

I came with a check from my credit union so I didn't have to jump through all the financial hoops you did.

One more critical point, this is the IT professional in me. (30 years experience and still going) Family do not log into personal accounts on public computers.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dude jumps in the passenger seat.....im lookin at him like....wtf you doin? I dont need a fuckin chaperone.
It's happen to me not at every dealership though but the majority of them now ride with you and if their really hurting for sales they'll let you take the car home over night.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
i've actually had to show paystubs from previous jobs when getting another job that pays high six figures......
Wow, must be a location thing, never had to show more than a driver's license to test drive. I know some dealers are able to run a soft credit pull behind your back when you give them your ID. Last time I went to the dealer they said I could drive it home to think about it and bring it back the next day.

Da Backshot Champ

Rising Star
Registered
You must look like a motherfucker who aint got no money at all plus bad credit. Wear a pair of nice pants with a polo shirt and practice standard English, you won't have to deal with any of that fuckery.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
get your own financing setup with your bank/credit union in advance, so when you arrive they just need to get your vehicle ready. I had an encounter with Mercedes benz here in san antonio a couple months ago. They tried to come at me with that bs despite me setting things up in advance, and i told them to fuck themselves. then went to another dealership ,with same pre-approval from my credit union, and bought a vehicle with no issues.

some of these dealerships just don't know how to treat people.

Last edited:

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
@Coldchi You did entirely too much. We secure financing prior to hitting any dealership. All they get from me is the letter from the bank. They dont need anything else. There is a phone number on the letter if they wanna play Matlock.

As far as test drives - I can't speak on 150k+ cars, but I've test drove cars up to 100k with only my drivers license.

ghoststrike

Rising Star
Platinum Member

So he was like,...."are you able to provide us with bank statements showing these deposits for the last 3 months?"
At this point im fed the fuck up. Mind you, they still haven't brought the car around for me to test drive yet.

It's always the "frequent fraud / crimes" bullshit excuse when going beyond normal vetting procedures for potential Black customers when interacting with bigots. It's possible that there could have been some rare occurrences of that, but "FREQUENT photoshopping of pay stubs"? GTFOH. They were insulting common sense to your face. I was SMH when i 1st read the "what do you do?" part and no fucking car brought out for the test drive.

Fortunately, every dealership I personally interacted with was polite and helpful. OP you're right. If the vibes are fucked up, no point in giving them any business.

Last edited:

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's happen to me not at every dealership though but the majority of them now ride with you and if their really hurting for sales they'll let you take the car home over night.
Yeah a Dodge dealership actually let me take a car home in the past on a test drive.

NightMare Paint

Not A Horse
BGOL Investor
get your own financing setup with your bank/credit union in advance, so when you arrive they just need to get your vehicle ready. I had an encounter with Mercedes benz here in san antonio a couple months ago. They tried to come at me with that bs despite me setting things up in advance, and i told them to fuck themselves. they went to another dealership ,with same pre-approval from my credit union, and bought a vehicle with no issues.

some of these dealerships just don't know how to treat people.
This. Walked into the dealership with my credit union on the phone and my approved limit ready.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Here is what happened to me when I bought the car I have now.

Long story short, I bought the car over the phone from a dealership in Iowa. I live in Ohio. I rented a car from Enterprise and drove 6 hours to Iowa to pick it up.

I had never driven the car or sat in one before I bought it.

I get there, we do a test drive around the industrial complex where the dealership was close to. The highway was a few miles away and I thought the test drive I did was enough. I got the car to about 60 to 65mph and everything checked out.

Took possession and as SOON as I got on the hwy and got the car past 80mph, the car started shaking really bad!!!

It was about 3pm and I still had a 6 hour drive back home! Called the dealership and they said they would take care of it.
The car was under factory warranty as well, so I wasn't too worried, but I was just ticked off that they had not checked it AND that I didn't insist on taking the car on the highway!

In the end, they bought me two new wheels. I just spent a lot of time dealing with trying to get all this shit sorted out though. The fuckin car should've been flawless when I picked it up!!!

Lesson learned. If I can't take the car out and drive it like I would normally drive it on the road, then the dealer can keep it!

SmoothD

Smooth*****
BGOL Investor
This is why I go to a car dealership with my pre approved loan amount from my credit union.
Unless you were financing through the dealership, there is no need for them to know what your income is.
You left out the part on how they were probably intimated by yo tall ass!!
:giggle:

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have a cash car but I got a promotion on the horizon and kinda want a rivian R1.

I could swing it but I'd rather have more investment property first.

Plus ain't no charging stations at my condo. There's some at my office but I work from home 3 weeks out the month

Shadow

The Dark Lord
BGOL Investor
You must look like a motherfucker who aint got no money at all plus bad credit. Wear a pair of nice pants with a polo shirt and practice standard English, you won't have to deal with any of that fuckery.
I showed up for a test drive in a dirty Underarmor T-shirt some golf shorts and slides. I don’t really look that hood anymore and I think my grammar is decent enough. Sometimes it’s just the fact you a nigga. We can’t ever forget that or we wind up like the republicoons you see out there oblivious to shit happening right in their face.

DWBass

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Last time I bought a car from a dealer, it felt like I was buying a fucking house. Signing a fucking stack of papers. Fuck that. I did get to test drive it on the highway though. Got my last shit at a used car lot. Signed a few papers and handed over the money. Dude was mad cool.

ny1800

Rising Star
Registered
Damn, homie they were on some bullshit. I was doing the same thing yesterday but all the dealerships were small ones. I haven't run into what you dealt with yet but as a nigga gets older I be quick just walk the fuck out and find another dealership. Treat these dealerships like hoes and onto the next one.

ny1800

Rising Star
Registered
Last time I bought a car from a dealer, it felt like I was buying a fucking house. Signing a fucking stack of papers. Fuck that. I did get to test drive it on the highway though. Got my last shit at a used car lot. Signed a few papers and handed over the money. Dude was mad cool.
Sounds like bought the car right then and there instead of financing which usually you can get a better deal. I haven't got a better deal when financing.

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When I said on here I put car salesmen one level below pedos and rapists on top shittiest human beings list, I wasn’t lying. These muthafuckas are scum of the earth. I these for muthafuckas death daily.

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
My bro has bought several cars through a broker, it's a painless experience.
I went with him to pick up his last truck, the exact color and trim he wanted with zero down.
All he had to do was come in and sign papers. Out the door within 20 minutes.
His wife's car was delivered to the home, signed papers in the driveway.
Not sure how it works for used vehicles.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
When I got my QX80 for me and the QX60 for my wife I didn't finance shit. Wrote them a check for both SUV's and they wanted to ask all these fuckin questions. It was a Saturday so they talking bout, oh we need to do this and that 1st. Now mind you I provided ALL OF THE NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION BEFOREHAND TO THE INFINITI DEALERSHIP in regards to my finances and all. But once a black man wants to pay cash now you have all this other extra shit you wanna ask. Literally said to my wife let's get the fuck outta here. Fuckin saleslady was ready to suck my dick and take it up the ass right in front of my wife trying to get me to stay. In the end it all worked out but I was fuckin pissed. Bitch lucky I didn't pick up the copier machine and throw it at her!!! Fuckin honkey!!!! :angry:

dRObFS.jpg

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah USAA is on point.
I’ll add Navy Federal too.

The last car I bought I went through the Costco Auto program.
They have a strong vetting process of dealerships they recommend.
My car isn’t a high end car, but it was a very smooth process. Best customer service I’ve ever experienced.

Wifey has a Benz and when she bought hers they let her keep the car over the weekend. Smooth process as well.
Might be a location thing though.
Yeah USAA is on point.