How realistic is this advice.....for black people in the corporate world?? :update- you DONT want a 350k job???

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

when black people do this its perceived as "not doing enough" or "not proactive" or a "bad attitude" some would actually call it lazy. It doesn't result in promotions or pay increases. Its noted in employment reviews and references. And quitting a job every two years or so would be seen as unstable and extensively questioned. Seems like "quiet quitting" is a white privilege thing. Black people DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!! It doesn't work like that for you!

Last edited:

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

when black people do this its perceived as "not doing enough" or "not proactive" or a "bad attitude" some would actually call it lazy. It doesn't result in promotions or pay increases. Its noted in employment reviews and references. And quitting a job every two years or so would be seen as unstable and extensively questioned. Seems like "quiet quitting" is a white privilege thing. Black people DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!! It doesn't work like that for you!

Can't speak for the corporate world, but I have noticed a shift in mentality when it comes to job hopping. Now that the economy seems to be slowing down and we are seeing more layoffs, we will see if this new mentality is a temporary or permanent thing.

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
Not every 2 years. At some point they will ask why you keep moving every two years. So for me after 2 years where you're up to speed on everything you decide you want to leave or get a 15% raise.....its not worth the hassle.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think it depends on the kind of work you do or your skill sets. Probably true for innovators and leadership but worker bees gonna fuck around and find themselves out the door with that.
Not every 2 years. At some point they will ask why you keep moving every two years. So for me after 2 years where you're up to speed on everything you decide you want to leave or get a 15% raise.....its not worth the hassle.
i notice that people online who give this advice are always white or asian....I have yet to see anyone black or brown talking about quiet quitting or job hopping like that.

xxironxx

PhD in Trollin
BGOL Investor
"I have maxed out all the skills in my current position and always knew this role would be my next career step" my simple reply when asked why I'm dippin. Bitch I'm out. 2 years 2 weeks 2 days. Don't matter cause the job ain't go do you any solids when they're ready to move on

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Yeah it depends on the industry.

Health care administrators job hop a lot and it’s kind of a given because you are usually trying to eventually get to the CEO or COO of a hospital or a health system

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"I have maxed out all the skills in my current position and always knew this role would be my next career step" my simple reply when asked why I'm dippin. Bitch I'm out. 2 years 2 weeks 2 days. Don't matter cause the job ain't go do you any solids when they're ready to move on
Yeah it depends on the industry.

Health care administrators job hop a lot and it’s kind of a given because you are usually trying to eventually get to the CEO or COO of a hospital or a health system
even still does that play well for black americans?? I'm talking about perception.

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I wouldn't hold strong to two years, but the teams I've worked with don't necessarily look down on 2 to 3 years at an organization. It is kind of considered the new norm. People aren't staying with companies for life like in the past.

There's a difference between quitting a job with nothing and moving on to a new organization. You apply for a role and if it fits your needs you leave. Worse case you don't get the job and no one has to know. Maybe shortly after leaving a recruiter reached out and you were given an opportunity at another company. You aren't likely to be negatively impacted.

Not saying being Black wouldn't have a impact at all, but in my mind someone who thinks in that manner isn't likely to consider a Black candidate seriously regardless of years with an org.

Dr. Truth

QUACK!
BGOL Investor
Yeah good luck explaining why you have multiple jobs in a short period of time. You’ll be seen as a person who will up and leave at any moment leaving a company back at square one. This is terrible advice unless you work at shitty ass jobs

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I would stay put during an election year. I remember when Trump was running against Hilary. I was working with this cat that made this grand announcement that he was leaving the firm and taking on a position at the DOJ. This was about a month out of the November election. Fast forward about 6 months later he was looking to get his old job back. It was already filled, good luck with Trump and his DOJ on your resume.

blaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Actually, it's more like how long do you have to prove that you don't need to be one of the ones they lay off. A long time ago, I had a boss (white dude) tell me that your work speaks for you. When somebody sees your work, even if they haven't met you - especially if they haven't met you, your work is who you are. If your shit is tight and together, that's who you are. Conversely, if your work is bad, that's who you are. The work don't lie and if you on your shit and making money for the company, that shit will reflect in your review. Then at that point you are not in the pool of cats to layoff, you in the pool of cats to move to next level. You have to decide what that is though. Like you have to identify what your path is forward, especially if you are young in your career. Watch the people above you. Try to figure out what they know or what they have obtained to make it to that level. What are they're habits? How did they find favor? You have to do way more listening than talking. Also, you always have a passive job search going whether you have a job or not. It's easier to find a job when you got a job. I'd take that 2 year thing with a grain of salt, but I will say if you want that 10 to 15%, most times you gone have to move around.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

well thats NOT quiet quitting, quiet quitting is doing just what you are contracted to do, no more no less...

No overtime, no work outside of your contracted scoped... Never leaving LATE, never arriving too early..

Never taking anything personal, just do what you are paid to do, no more and no less..

and always being professional while doing so.. Shit works like a charm... and you will find yourself with more

energy to discover other options...

Any job is to get the most out of the resource aka WORKER, for as little as possible.... quiet quitting helps

balances the odds...

This right here is not quiet quitting its Fence hopping, every two years seeking green pasteurs... nobody will look down

on you, IF you are making more money and staying in the same field..

its looks quirky if you are jumping from profession to profession, like one minute your a medical doctor, next minute

your driving trucks, then next minute you are walkin dogs for a living... then yea....

but if you are a cpa and you find a better paying cpa job every two years... nobody is going to look at you crazy bruh.

If you are on a job that is showing you NO love for your energy, No compensation, or initiative

quiet quitting and focusing

on a goal

that properly rewards you for energy spent

is the WAY TO GO!!!

Dr. Truth

QUACK!
BGOL Investor
Actually, it's more like how long do you have to prove that you don't need to be one of the ones they lay off. A long time ago, I had a boss (white dude) tell me that your work speaks for you. When somebody sees your work, even if they haven't met you - especially if they haven't met you, your work is who you are. If your shit is tight and together, that's who you are. Conversely, if your work is bad, that's who you are. The work don't lie and if you on your shit and making money for the company, that shit will reflect in your review. Then at that point you are not in the pool of cats to layoff, you in the pool of cats to move to next level. You have to decide what that is though. Like you have to identify what your path is forward, especially if you are young in your career. Watch the people above you. Try to figure out what they know or what they have obtained to make it to that level. What are they're habits? How did they find favor? You have to do way more listening than talking. Also, you always have a passive job search going whether you have a job or not. It's easier to find a job when you got a job. I'd take that 2 year thing with a grain of salt, but I will say if you want that 10 to 15%, most times you gone have to move around.
Ain’t no company on earth giving you a 15% pay raise every year unless you’re talking commission. But that ain’t about to be a salary increase of 15% unless you’re Some Apple Exec. Bitch wildin

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member

What you contributed to the company today doesn't speak to the needs of the company tomorrow. If I don't need your skill set, it doesn't matter how great of a performer you've been over the years. I've seen full teams of more talented people than myself and actually brought in money let go.

Right now, I'm working with someone being paid 25/30% less than me, but works way harder including attaching themselves to additional projects. They were just passed over for a role. At another organization, they could easily earn more, but they claim they are loyal to the company. Can't speak for this person but most are just afraid of change or starting over. They rather stay in a system they feel comfortable with than explore different options for better or worse.

I'm not judging, but just for terms of the discussion. The story of the guy who worked at Burger King (or another chain) for 20 to 30 years kind of fits. Maybe he chose to stay in that role, but was he every really invested in or offered manager role?even if he remained a cook, he couldn't take his skills to a higher paying restaurant? At his retirement, they didn't even give him anything of note and if I'm not mistaken he was considered a top employee maybe not missing a day of work.

I'm not saying work ethic doesn't have any merit. I just feel like in the past people focused on that as a way to make employees loyal to companies instead of doing what was in their best interest.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
well thats NOT quiet quitting, quiet quitting is doing just what you are contracted to do, no more no less...

No overtime, no work outside of your contracted scoped... Never leaving LATE, never arriving too early..

Never taking anything personal, just do what you are paid to do, no more and no less..

and always being professional while doing so.. Shit works like a charm... and you will find yourself with more

energy to discover other options...

Any job is to get the most out of the resource aka WORKER, for as little as possible.... quiet quitting helps

balances the odds...

This right here is not quiet quitting its Fence hopping, every two years seeking green pasteurs... nobody will look down

on you, IF you are making more money and staying in the same field..

its looks quirky if you are jumping from profession to profession, like one minute your a medical doctor, next minute

your driving trucks, then next minute you are walkin dogs for a living... then yea....

but if you are a cpa and you find a better paying cpa job every two years... nobody is going to look at you crazy bruh.

If you are on a job that is showing you NO love for your energy, No compensation, or initiative

quiet quitting and focusing

on a goal

that properly rewards you for energy spent

is the WAY TO GO!!!
Yeah.... but does that work out BLACK PEOPLE...I'm trying to get at perception of US in the corporate world.

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
I didn't read all the responses but I know this to be true in the tech world but that is if you can continually find projects to bolster your resume. I've been on my current job for 5 years now and although I could go to another company, getting used to a new culture, different HR practices and management styles would irritate me. Main reason I stay is because it's remote, the projects I work on are interesting and I learn a lot. I've never been one to job hop but I know folks who do for jumps in pay and responsibility. I see a lot of folks job hopping here in D.C. like the CACs who come down from Boston, do their 3 years as an intern or whatever job and then bounce to another high position. I personally ain't got it like that. I actually like what I do so I'm staying put until we find out who gets the next contract.

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
I think it depends on the kind of work you do or your skill sets. Probably true for innovators and leadership but worker bees gonna fuck around and find themselves out the door with that.
Yep this is extremely important. I stayed in the corporate world for 24 years. As y’all know what happened when I got with T-Mobile shit star going crazy. I had to stick up for myself as a black man quite a bit. it didn’t as I told you guys they tried to get me to come back at a lower rate and a lower position and I told them to basically kiss my ass. Nextel, Sprint and Ericsson days was fun as hell but my T-Mo days was horrible.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I didn't read all the responses but I know this to be true in the tech world but that is if you can continually find projects to bolster your resume. I've been on my current job for 5 years now and although I could go to another company, getting used to a new culture, different HR practices and management styles would irritate me. Main reason I stay is because it's remote, the projects I work on are interesting and I learn a lot. I've never been one to job hop but I know folks who do for jumps in pay and responsibility. I see a lot of folks job hopping here in D.C. like the CACs who come down from Boston, do their 3 years as an intern or whatever job and then bounce to another high position. I personally ain't got it like that. I actually like what I do so I'm staying put until we find out who gets the next contract.
Esp in the government.

My wife works for the FEDS and my homeboy does too and I swear to god they both job hop like crazy in the federal government, but it always works out. Higher paying jobs and higher GS grades. Just climbing that federal
Ladder, but we both know the FEDS and private sector are not the same.

What’s even more crazy federal agencies will try and pull you from your current job and offer incentives to get you to leave because you have a skill set they want.

Last edited:

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
even still does that play well for black americans?? I'm talking about perception.
I can’t speak on corporate America because hospital administration is a niche little world in itself and I know plenty of black administers who job hop because that’s just the norm. It’s expected and all races do it.
Most do it until they get to the CEO level and stay until they are ready to retire or want to do something else.

Even though you have for profit hospitals most are considered non profit.

A CEO of a hospital can make anywhere between 500K to over 1 millluon depending on the size and location of the hospital.

Health system CEOs can make between 1 - 15 million a year depending on location and the number of hospitals within that system.

A CEO of a for profit company is making way more than that.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sometimes you have to ask is it job hopping or is it a company that wants your skill set and is willing to make you a lucrative offer to come work for them.
I’ve seen that so many times in the healthcare industry.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can’t speak on corporate America because hospital administration is a niche little world in itself and I know plenty of black administers who job hop because that’s just the norm. It’s expected and all races do it.
Most do it until they get to the CEO level and stay until they are ready to retire or want to do something else.

Even though you have for profit hospitals most are considered non profit.

A CEO of a hospital can make anywhere between 500K to over 1 millluon depending on the size and location of the hospital.

Health system CEOs can make between 1 - 15 million a year depending on location and the number of hospitals within that system.

A CEO of a for profit company is making way more than that.
Black CEOs? I know they get paid less than any white one. Even still a CEO is a very small sample size. Black people in general can’t move and shake like that.

Unless you have to……………

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Black CEOs? I know they get paid less than any white one. Even still a CEO is a very small sample size. Black people in general can’t move and shake like that.

Unless you have to……………
Esp in the government.

My wife works for the FEDS and my homeboy does too and I swear to god they both job hop like crazy in the federal government, but it always works out. Higher paying jobs and higher GS grades. Just climbing that federal
Ladder, but we both know the FEDS and private sector are not the same.

What’s even more crazy federal agencies will try and pull you from your current job and offer incentives to get you to leave because you have a skill set they want.
So I was referring to health care administrators and how it's expected for you to job hop and move around to get to your ultimate goal which for alot of people is to be a ceo. I can not speak about any other industry, but I was only referring to healthcare and how administrators move.
This is an extreme example, but even if you looked at someone who is in a director role or senior manager role, in the healthcare industry alot of times they will job hop to get those experiences to become a hospital executive.
Mr. Woods prior roles led him to be the CEO of Atrium Health.
There are several black CEO's in the hospital administration area (not enough) but we are there.....

Prime example Mr. Eugen Woods.
Gene_Woods_BOD_031119_crop.jpg

Eugene A. Woods​

President and Chief Executive Officer
Eugene A. Woods, MBA, MHA, FACHE, is president and chief executive officer of Atrium Health, one of the largest non-profit and leading academic health systems in the United States, with over 70,000 teammates serving patients at 40 hospitals and more than 1,400 care locations across five states: North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia and Alabama. Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Atrium Health provides care under the Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist name in the Winston-Salem, North Carolina, as well as Atrium Health Navicent and Atrium Health Floyd in Georgia and Alabama.
Woods joined Atrium Health in April 2016, and, during his tenure, Atrium Health has been recognized as one of the Best Employers for Diversity, for new grads and for Women by Forbes; number one on the list of Best Places to Work for Women & Diverse Managers by DiversityMBA; one of the 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare by Becker’s Healthcare; and the number one military-friendly employer in the country. In addition, the organization has been recognized by U.S. News & World Report, Leapfrog Group and the American Nurses Credentialing Center as among the very best in the nation and was honored by the American Hospital Association with the Equity of Care Award and one of the first-ever Quest for Quality honors for its Rehabilitation Hospital. Atrium Health was also recognized by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) as a CMS Health Equity Award recipient for its dedication to health equity by reducing disparities and enabling communities to achieve the highest level of health.
One of today’s most prominent leaders in healthcare, Woods served as past chair of the American Hospital Association board of trustees in 2017 and the Nominating Committee and is currently a member of the Health, Strategy and Innovation Committee. Woods has also served as a member of The Wall Street Journal’s CEO Council and is currently a member of the Healthcare Institute, the Becker’s Healthcare’s Advisory Board, the board of Best Buy, and the Executive Committee of the Healthcare Leadership Council. Additionally, Woods is chair of the board of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond and the upcoming vice chair of the 2022 Conference of Chairs executive committee for the Bank. Woods also was appointed to the North Carolina Council for Health Care Coverage, the North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper’s Economic Recovery Task Force, as well as the Governor’s Andrea Harris Social, Economic, Environmental and Health Equity Task Force to help address disparities in communities of color that have been exacerbated by the pandemic.
Woods has 30 years of healthcare leadership experience, and his career is decorated with many honors, including his most recent recognitions as #4 of the 100 Most Influential People in Healthcare and one of the Top 25 Minority Executives in Healthcare – as well as being one of only five “Luminaries,” honored for their career-defining work in reshaping the industry – by Modern Healthcare. Recently, he was recognized by the Office of the Secretary of Defense with the highly regarded Patriot Award for supporting employee participation in America’s National Guard and Reserve Forces. He has also been named as the Charlotte Post Foundation’s 2022 Luminary Award honoree; the Charlotte Business Journal’s 2021 Most Admired CEO and one of 50 Newsmakers of the Year; Healthcare Pioneer for Black History Month 2021 by Governor Roy Cooper and the North Carolina African American Heritage Commission; the recipient of the Whitney M. Young Jr. award for service to the state of North Carolina by the Urban League of Central Carolinas; the recipient of the Charlotte Business Journal’s 2020 Business Person of the Year; the 2020 Distinguished 400 Award recipient by the 400 Years of African American History Commission; one of the 50 Great African American Leaders as well as one of 113 Great Leaders in Healthcare by Becker’s Healthcare; one of the Most Influential Black Executives in Corporate America by Savoy Magazine; one of the Most Powerful Executives in Corporate America by Black Enterprise; one of the 2019 Power 100 honorees by Business North Carolina; Senior Executive of the Year by the National Association of Health Service Executives; and Alumni of the Year by the Pennsylvania State University.
Woods holds three degrees from Pennsylvania State University: a bachelor’s degree in health planning and administration, a master’s degree in business administration and a master’s degree in health administration.

Prior Roles:

• President and Chief Operating Officer of Atrium Health (2016 - 2022);
  • President and Chief Operating Officer of Christus Health (2014 - 2015);
  • Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Christus Health (2011 - 2014);
  • Senior Vice President, Operations and Chief Executive Officer of St. Joseph Health Care for Catholic Health Initiatives (2005 - 2011);
  • Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Washington Hospital Center (2001 - 2005);
  • President and Chief Executive Officer of Roy Schneider Hospital (1998 - 2001); and
  • Vice President, Administration at Southside Regional Medical Center (1993 - 1998).

Education: Mr. Woods holds multiple degrees from Pennsylvania State University.

Key Qualifications & Experience:

• Health Care Expertise – Mr. Woods has more than 30 years of health care experience, having overseen non-profit and for-profit hospitals, academic and community-based delivery systems and rural and urban facilities. He is currently CEO of Advocate Health, a health care system with over $28 billion of annual revenue, 67 hospitals in six states. In 2021, Mr. Woods was re-named by Modern Healthcare as one of the 100 Most Influential People in Healthcare, taking spot number 4. In addition, in 2021 he was named among Modern Healthcare’s Top 25 Minority Executives in Healthcare for the sixth consecutive time – and featured on its listing of only five “Luminaries,” honored for their career-defining work in reshaping the industry.
  • CEO Experience – Mr. Woods is currently CEO of Advocate Health, one of the nation’s most comprehensive and highly integrated and innovative health care systems. He also previously served as President and CEO of Atrium Health, President & COO of Christus Health and was SVP of CHI Divisional Operations/CEO of Saint Joseph Health System. He has also held a variety of other senior leadership roles at health care organizations throughout the country.
  • Growth / Transformation Expertise – As President and CEO, Mr. Woods led Atrium Health’s expansion beyond the Carolinas into other areas of the Southeast, including Georgia. He also led a digitalization initiative by building out Atrium’s strong telehealth program, and he is working on new models for long-term cost of care and changing quality-of-care metrics. Mr. Woods brings to the Company a track record of leadership in uniting a large organization around a vision and mission, fostering a diverse, inclusive and engaging work environment, and a strong commitment to serving the community.