How To Build A Home Theater - The Basics

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I got a Yamaha receiver and subwoofer and 4 speakers.

I had a Sony DVD sound system with wireless surround sound but it sucked, they kept going out, Sony said it was interference from Wi-Fi signals in my condo building, not true it was a design flaw other people had as well.

I have a crappy no name Best Buy sound bar I got for 43.00 for my bedroom tv. When it works it's fine but you have to keep pressing the on button for it to turn on, really janky.

ALL in all I am happy cause its my way of disturbing my loud Airbnb neighbors on each side and on top of my unit.

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
yamaha receiver with klipsch 12 inch sub , center channel and 8" towers all klipsch reference... my rear speakers are JBL monitors.

shit sounds better than most theaters I've been too

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
yamaha receiver with klipsch 12 inch sub , center channel and 8" towers all klipsch reference... my rear speakers are JBL monitors.

shit sounds better than most theaters I've been too

i am in the same boat except sony es receiver and polk full size tower speakers/sub all around.

until malco collierville was remodeled i would have said i have a better system than all of the local malco's. imo, malco collierville sounds better than paradiso.

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
i am in the same boat except sony es receiver and polk speakers/sub all around.

until malco collierville was remodeled i would have said i have a better system than all of the local malco's. imo, malco collierville sounds better than paradiso.
yep! they only ones that sound better are the atmos at paradiso, the imax and collierville.

cordova sucks..

my polk sub died so that's when i switched to klipsch

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
I got a Yamaha receiver and subwoofer and 4 speakers.

I had a Sony DVD sound system with wireless surround sound but it sucked, they kept going out, Sony said it was interference from Wi-Fi signals in my condo building, not true it was a design flaw other people had as well.

I have a crappy no name Best Buy sound bar I got for 43.00 for my bedroom tv. When it works it's fine but you have to keep pressing the on button for it to turn on, really janky.

ALL in all I am happy cause its my way of disturbing my loud Airbnb neighbors on each side and on top of my unit.
I got the 3 zone Yamaha paired B&W speakers, unsurpassed sound.

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have my Harmony hub connected to my echo. Ill get this if one of them fails.

Hands-Free TV is Here: Introducing Fire TV Cube

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Amazon’s Fire TV Cube is an Echo, streaming box, and universal remote in one

DSCF3526.0.jpg

Combining an Echo speaker and the Fire TV into a single gadget seems like a very obvious, inevitable move for Amazon to make. Today, that unification is happening, and the end result is the $120 Fire TV Cube. Preorders begin now, and Prime members can buy it for $89.99 if they order on either June 7th or 8th. For now, the Cube is only available to US customers.

It pairs Alexa’s assistant smarts and hands-free voice commands with Amazon’s popular 4K streaming device. But the Fire TV Cube is designed to be much more than a set-top box that can also tell you the weather or control your smart home accessories. The third key aspect of this product — and the most surprising one — is that it’s also a universal remote.

DSCF3531.jpg

All four sides of the “cube” house IR blasters that allow the device to communicate with and control everything in the average person’s TV setup, from cable boxes to soundbars to A/V receivers. The Fire TV Cube also controls the television itself over HDMI-CEC, so it can automatically power on the screen whenever one of your Alexa voice requests warrants it. If you ask for the weather, the Cube will answer using its own built-in speaker. But if you say “Alexa, play Wild Wild Country,” the TV will turn on, and Netflix will pull up the show.

turnon.gif

A few companies like Dish and Tivo already support Alexa to some extent, but integrating IR and making it such a central piece of the Fire TV Cube is an admission that adoption isn’t happening fast enough for this device to meet its potential for convenience and wide home theater compatibility. Alexa alone isn’t enough. So, IR blasters it is. In the box, you even get a separate IR extender, which you can run down into a cabinet if there are components that the Cube’s own multidirectional signal can’t quite reach.

DSCF3532.jpg

But don’t expect home theater bliss on day one. Amazon is starting out with what I’d consider a realistic level of ambition, and the Cube isn’t ready to replace a Logitech Harmony remote yet, nor is it as sophisticated and forward-looking as something like the Caavo. IR blasters have limitations and can sometimes get tripped up, but they allow the Cube to do some genuinely useful things already. Alexa can control the volume for your TV or soundbar even when you’re viewing content on a completely different HDMI input. It can also change between those inputs on command.

And it seems to work surprisingly well with (some) cable boxes. Amazon showed me the Cube changing to a particular channel on a Spectrum box with a simple, natural “Alexa, tune to ESPN” command. It can similarly control set-top boxes for Comcast, DirecTV, and Dish. Saying “Alexa, go home” will always switch you back to the Fire TV Cube’s own HDMI input and home screen. Amazon isn’t letting the Cube control things like game consoles or Blu-ray players yet, but it says that it will get more powerful with time and software updates. There’s a quick setup process for components you’ll be controlling over IR, which is how the Fire TV Cube learns which cable channels are which, etc. Amazon has more details on what’s compatible and what’s not on this site.

Unfortunately, you have to use voice for things like volume control since the bundled Fire TV remote remains unchanged and doesn’t have volume buttons. (They really would’ve come in handy this time.) There’s still a voice button and integrated mic for situations where you need to speak to Alexa quietly.

cwelch_180606_2647_0005.jpg

Aside from its IR tricks, the Fire TV Cube is basically a hybrid Echo Dot and Fire TV. It has the easy-to-use interface shared by Amazon’s other streaming devices, but it’s refined in certain places for voice control. The far-field mic array is also different than on a regular Echo. Instead of being oriented in a 360-degree pattern, all eight of the Cube’s mics are linear and meant to pick up people in front of the device. Sandeep Gupta, Amazon’s VP of smart TV and home products, told me that the mic array was designed to recognize the “Alexa” hot word even over audio coming from a TV or soundbar beside it.

The Fire TV Cube supports HDR10 and Dolby Atmos sound, but it lacks Dolby Vision playback. The Apple TV 4K is the only set-top box that will do all of the above once the next version of tvOS ships. And, unfortunately, Amazon and Google still haven’t worked out their issues, so a native YouTube app remains MIA. However, you can still load it in a browser like Firefox, and that workaround does the job.

cwelch_180606_2647_0002.jpg

On the Echo side, you can run through the usual gamut of Alexa commands, and it works just as you’d expect. You can also integrate the Cube into routines, so something like “Alexa, goodnight” can power off your entire TV rig along with your lights and other Alexa-compatible devices. Gupta explained to me that the Fire TV Cube has a “TV bias,” so it won’t hesitate to turn on your display whenever it thinks you’ll get the best answer from Alexa there. If you ask for music, the Cube will know enough to play it out of your soundbar instead of its own dinky speaker. Just know this can’t do everything an Echo can: calls and messages through Alexa aren’t supported, and you can’t sync the Fire TV Cube with a Bluetooth speaker or add it to your Echo multiroom music setup.

The Fire TV Cube sounds very promising, but everything hinges on how it performs outside the Amazon demos I saw — and those weren’t without hiccups. I think it’ll do fine at controlling your TV and streaming content or answering Alexa queries. And the $120 price is rather aggressive. But it’s got the right hardware inside to do and become much more.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...-echo-announced-features-pricing-release-date

Wobble Wobble

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've got a Sonos system. I'm more than satisfied with it, in combination with a 65 inch Samsung and my Mac Mini.

To the real tech heads, can I add a second subwoofer in the same room? Can I boost how loud it is?

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
I've got a Sonos system. I'm more than satisfied with it, in combination with a 65 inch Samsung and my Mac Mini.

To the real tech heads, can I add a second subwoofer in the same room? Can I boost how loud it is?

yes, you can add another sub. but i wouldn't add it for loudness. i would want better low end. meaning low frequency sound that you can feel but not necessarily hear. the sound under 40 htz.

jivanbrahman

Rising Star
Registered
Man fuck all that. I got a 70' 4K HDTV in my livingroom with a Vizio sound bar. And a 65' LG 3D Tv in my bedroom with a Phillips sound bar.
That's all I need. I just need the basics. My house is not a gotdamn AMC or Cinemark theater.
How well does the soundbar come close to surround sound. I know it shouldnt mimic it exactly but doesnt it bouce the sound off the walls?

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
How well does the soundbar come close to surround sound. I know it shouldn't mimic it exactly but doesn't it bounce the sound off the walls?

Just to add - "bouncing sound" is a Bose "trick" if you will. First popularized with their 901s, which were some fierce DJ speakers because they could handle unlimited power at any resistance (I had mine coupled to a Phase Linear. Maaaan listen).
Anyway, as far as bouncing, 75% depends on exactly what your walls/floor/ceiling are made of. Also what else you have in the room. Rug? Curtains? Drapes? Padded/plush chair(s)? Drop ceiling? Those things absorb and deaden sound so the room is considered "dead" with very little echo or bounce. This is the type of room HT works best in because the HT effects just basically put minute delays in certain frequencies and channels. ie.: a delay in a jet passing overhead from the front speakers to the rear. For HT you don't want any bouncing because it'll sound like twice as many speakers all out of synch.
Conversely, if your walls and ceiling are sheetrock, they're not too bright, probably more neutral. Lath or tongue and groove walls are very bright and reflect sound all over the place so the room is considered "live." In a basement, the walls are often cinderblock which is also kinda bright. In those cases sound treatments are advised: rugs, wall hangings and the like.
There are different types of programs that use a microphone, sometimes connected to a computer or receiver, which will tell you about speaker placement and/or sound treatments. That's if you wanna go whole hog.
My point is: you can go as far as your budget takes you. But it's always a good idea to get something with a return policy and check it out in your situation. Nothing is going to sound like it does in the store so return option is very important.

Now, as far as Bose goes, their speaker cabinets are designed to maximize certain frequencies. So, yeah, you may think you're hearing deep bass and loud mids but your ear is really being fooled. They are also notoriously weak on the highs. Compared to monitor speakers (which are designed to add or subtract nothing from the music) it's night and day...for me. YMMV. Obviously, people like them because they sell, but you definitely won't get the crisp highs, firm mids and clean bass like you will with monitors. And you'll miss a lot of nuances.

I've been listening to and playing music for many years and two things I'll say - HT isn't ideal for music so I'd suggest separating the two. I have an HT system and a stereo for music. And, go out and listen to some live music; people with instruments not rap or electronic stuff. Hear how the instruments actually sound. THAT'S what you want to hear from your stereo.

Last edited:

dabushwackers

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The new systems my friend who does upper scale homes use are wireless speaker systems all the speakers are mounted in ceilings and walls and I mean flush into the walls nothing is sticking out..shits be sounding mind blowing and it's all Dolby atmos setup

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
The new systems my friend who does upper scale homes use are wireless speaker systems all the speakers are mounted in ceilings and walls and I mean flush into the walls nothing is sticking out..shits be sounding mind blowing and it's all Dolby atmos setup

Yes but the problem with that is if you decide to change your furniture around.