INDEPENDENT AUTO MECHANICS BEING PHASED OUT!

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
OEM’s realized cars are becoming more reliable with electrification. Dealers don’t make their money on car sales. Its mostly services and repairs. They trying to make everything a subscription even the software needed to fix the cars. This kind of stupid shit is also a part of the reason your insurance rates are always increasing. Insurance companies tend to lean towards totalling a car if the repair process is going to be a headache too. Too many modules to reset/calibrate. Can’t take it to an independent repair shop. Gotta take it to a dealer and everybody has to absorb that cost now.

Last edited:

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
north American Car manufacturers are just like any other profit companies when it comes to small businesses, it is all about the bottomline as to how to make more money for their shareholders. They all want recurring revenue and this one angle they are targeting.
That’s literally all car manufacturers and European manufacturers are way more notorious for this kind of stuff. BMW wanted to charge a monthly subscription for heated seats that were already installed in the car. Euro ECU’s been a headache and needed additional software to access for decades.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
OEM’s realized cars are becoming more reliable with electrification. Dealers don’t make their money on car sales. Its mostly services and repairs. They trying to make everything a subscription even the software needed to fix the cars. This kind of stupid shit is also a part of the reason your insurance rates are always increasing. Insurance companies tend to lean towards totaling a car if the repair process is going to be a headache too. Too many modules to reset/calibrate. Can’t take it to an independent repair shop. Gotta take it to a dealer and everybody has to absorbs that cost now.
Well put....

Moving Target

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
this is exactly why i want to buy old vehicles...i know a guy back in GA that has 7 f150...i thought this guy really loves ford but the truth is only 3 are running , but they run flawlessly...the rest are for parts. i want a old classic car so i can skate around the BS about them scrapping them bc once they are registered as antique vehicles 25+ yrs, its easier to fight for getting them repaired bc they have historical value.

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Its still many old cars around...plenty of work to do... they may just not come to him and his shop..no worries... there will be new tools to get in.. just not today

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This isn't news,this has been working its way up to this very thing happening,computers in cars,checking for codes and all of that super duper fly shit would just be too much for Jeff and Leroy handle.

I predict that in a few years older cars will the demand,something a Mechanic can work on and find parts for easily,or until they create a device that can get around all of that shit.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
OEM’s realized cars are becoming more reliable with electrification. Dealers don’t make their money on car sales. Its mostly services and repairs. They trying to make everything a subscription even the software needed to fix the cars. This kind of stupid shit is also a part of the reason your insurance rates are always increasing. Insurance companies tend to lean towards totalling a car if the repair process is going to be a headache too. Too many modules to reset/calibrate. Can’t take it to an independent repair shop. Gotta take it to a dealer and everybody has to absorb that cost now.
Leasing a cheap car is the better option these days

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This isn't news,this has been working its way up to this very thing happening,computers in cars,checking for codes and all of that super duper fly shit would just be too much for Jeff and Leroy handle.

I predict that in a few years older cars will the demand,something a Mechanic can work on and find parts for easily,or until they create a device that can get around all of that shit.
Jeff and Leroy will figure it out, trust that

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Here is an example of making these cars throw aways. Manufacturer's discouraging certain fluid changes for the life of the car. Basically ruining the motor after about 100K miles. Scraping the car for parts or on to the crusher.

Temujin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I contend that our whole engineering system is fugazi. Everything should be modular. I should be able to swap out my motor plug and play. my phone battery sucks upgrade the battery not the whole phone. They don't want us to fix shit because the don't want us to own shit. You renting your whole life just paying to live.

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor
I drive a 2002 Chevy Silverado HD Crew Cab 4X4. My truck has over 300,000 miles, and it runs like a champ. I can tow damn near anything I want, and I can go damn near anywhere I want.

I work on it myself when needed. My Brother and I did a full tune up on it last year (He has 2002 Suburban).

My son and my wife's cars has way too many electronics for me.

Every month, someone asks me, "Hey man, do want to sell that Crew Cab?" I have the same answer every time, "NO!"

Last edited:

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Wife's car, Nissan, for over a year now this accident sensor kicks on when you drive over 50mph. I've been to the dealer 3x and they said there's no recall nothing they can do about it, out of warranty, "would you like to schedule a mechanic to look at it".

I am mechanically inclined, did a lot of research on it. Tried to reset this sensor that's doing the issue, no avail. A mechanic can do it but need special software that they have to pay Nissan for on subscription tp do it.

I found that Nissan has a "voluntary recall" on it. So since the dealershit that my wife bought the car from, refused the car cause it's out of warranty. I wrote Nissan Corp. They said if that dealshit didn't want to fix it take it to another. It's an hour fix and they cover the reseting of the sensor..

For anyone having the same issue, you can turn on the wiper for a quick second and it turns off the sensor.

My wife has a 2018 Rogue. On the 2019 and 2020 there have been accidents where the car senses an accident when nothing is there and stops immediately. So they fixed those. I guess not enough reported the 2018 so they don't want to recall them.

But these car makers are forcing mechanics to subscribe to their software on a yearly basis and some instances paying monthly.

Many things you can clear by doing a drain of all circuits resetting many sensors, but dealers are keen to that and some sensors just won't reset unless you go to a dealer.

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kia and Hyundai are OUT.

Don't fall victim to the KIA Boys!
I think that's the older models, plus I never gave a fuck about my car getting stolen. That's what insurance is for. lol I'm sure I'd feel differently if I lived in a theft prone area though. It's been a looong time since the days of just leaving my car unlock so they don't have to break my window.:dunno:

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wife's car, Nissan, for over a year now this accident sensor kicks on when you drive over 50mph. I've been to the dealer 3x and they said there's no recall nothing they can do about it, out of warranty, "would you like to schedule a mechanic to look at it".

I am mechanically inclined, did a lot of research on it. Tried to reset this sensor that's doing the issue, no avail. A mechanic can do it but need special software that they have to pay Nissan for on subscription tp do it.

I found that Nissan has a "voluntary recall" on it. So since the dealershit that my wife bought the car from, refused the car cause it's out of warranty. I wrote Nissan Corp. They said if that dealshit didn't want to fix it take it to another. It's an hour fix and they cover the reseting of the sensor..

For anyone having the same issue, you can turn on the wiper for a quick second and it turns off the sensor.

My wife has a 2018 Rogue. On the 2019 and 2020 there have been accidents where the car senses an accident when nothing is there and stops immediately. So they fixed those. I guess not enough reported the 2018 so they don't want to recall them.

But these car makers are forcing mechanics to subscribe to their software on a yearly basis and some instances paying monthly.

Many things you can clear by doing a drain of all circuits resetting many sensors, but dealers are keen to that and some sensors just won't reset unless you go to a dealer.
Yeah...I can change the oil on my car, but you have to take it to a dealer to clear the oil reset light because of the software.

The dealer charges $100 as a flat shop rate just to clear the fuckin' code!!! It takes them 2 minutes to do it, but they control the software/equipment to do it.

May as well just take it to the dealer to change the fuckin' oil IMO. Probably part of their grand plany anyway.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
I have mixed feelings about this. If you have an old-school card, these mechanics will save your life, but these new cars, especially electric cars, well that’s when the fly becomes stuck in the ointment.
I have two older cars, and I still take them to the dealership or a mechanic/shop associated with a dealership.

When I was younger, I took my (first) car to an independent mechanic for a rebuilt transmission, they fucked my shit up. I'll py a little extra to have my car serviced at the dealership.

If/when we buy new vehicles, ain't no way I would trust an independent mechanic with it. It's sucks for them but with the amount of money folks spend on vehicles, I don't see why one would save money at an independent shop to get service or work done.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Yeah...I can change the oil on my car, but you have to take it to a dealer to clear the oil reset light because of the software.

The dealer charges $100 as a flat shop rate just to clear the fuckin' code!!! It takes them 2 minutes to do it, but they control the software/equipment to do it.

May as well just take it to the dealer to change the fuckin' oil IMO. Probably part of their grand plany anyway.
That's messed up. It's just a setting in the menu on the wife's car. For all the filters like cabin and engine as well.

Brakes, oil, and many things all around the car I do on my own. Only thing I'm going to a dealer for is something under warranty. Sometimes I go to a mechanic friends shop but that's to use a tool I don't have or I'd buy it myself.

You sure that's not a setting in your vehicle menu? What happens when you go to a oil change shop? They can reset that as well. No? If they can then so can you.

Can also get an OBD reader off Amazon for under $20 and read codes and some resets right from your phone using an app like Torque or Car Scanner.

Youtube any issues or Google. Others have had to come across your specific model. It's how I found the specific recall on wife's car which is a Nissan defect

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
shade tree mechanics will still have a customer base from those that have older vehicles that dont rely on VSP registry.....
But like Julian said,.....this is a way to force consumers to mainly use the dealership for repairs,.....which of course is costly.
The battery replacement for my wife's BMW X3 was over $500. And her radiator replacement was $4k.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's messed up. It's just a setting in the menu on the wife's car. For all the filters like cabin and engine as well.

Brakes, oil, and many things all around the car I do on my own. Only thing I'm going to a dealer for is something under warranty. Sometimes I go to a mechanic friends shop but that's to use a tool I don't have or I'd buy it myself.

You sure that's not a setting in your vehicle menu? What happens when you go to a oil change shop? They can reset that as well. No? If they can then so can you.

Can also get an OBD reader off Amazon for under $20 and read codes and some resets right from your phone using an app like Torque or Car Scanner.

Youtube any issues or Google. Others have had to come across your specific model. It's how I found the specific recall on wife's car which is a Nissan defect
No setting in the car screen menu.

On our forum, we get this question all the time. How do you reset the oil maintenance light?

Yes, other shops are able to reset the light. I guess if they subscribe to the software or something like that.

I just go to the dealer.

Brakes I'll do myself. The dealers around the country are charging people anywhere from $2,300 to $3,500 JUST for the front pad and rotors.

Those prices are insane!!!