INDEPENDENT AUTO MECHANICS BEING PHASED OUT!

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
No setting in the car screen menu.

On our forum, we get this question all the time. How do you reset the oil maintenance light?

Yes, other shops are able to reset the light. I guess if they subscribe to the software or something like that.

I just go to the dealer.

Brakes I'll do myself. The dealers around the country are charging people anywhere from $2,300 to $3,500 JUST for the front pad and rotors.

Those prices are insane!!!
I get the Pig serviced at the dealer too. This oil change spot tried to charge me 90 bux for a fucking oil change. Dealer did it for 39.99.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
this is exactly why i want to buy old vehicles...i know a guy back in GA that has 7 f150...i thought this guy really loves ford but the truth is only 3 are running , but they run flawlessly...the rest are for parts. i want a old classic car so i can skate around the BS about them scrapping them bc once they are registered as antique vehicles 25+ yrs, its easier to fight for getting them repaired bc they have historical value.

Buying old vehicles are good if you got the time to actually work on the vehicle.

If you using it as a everyday car to commute, it’s gonna cause headaches.

A independent mechanic is gonna charge a shit load of money cuz they gotta go find replacement parts that the manufacturer no longer makes.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I have two older cars, and I still take them to the dealership or a mechanic/shop associated with a dealership.

When I was younger, I took my (first) car to an independent mechanic for a rebuilt transmission, they fucked my shit up. I'll py a little extra to have my car serviced at the dealership.

If/when we buy new vehicles, ain't no way I would trust an independent mechanic with it. It's sucks for them but with the amount of money folks spend on vehicles, I don't see why one would save money at an independent shop to get service or work done.

You purchase a new vehicle. You have to return it to the dealership for all maintenance. Even just regular oil changes that are dirt cheap at a Walmart Tire & Lube Express.

The dealership keeps a record of the vehicle so that if a mechanical issue comes up and you bring it back to the dealership. The first thing they do is check to see that you been bringing that vehicle in for it’s regular routine maintenance.

You buy that car and been taking it too a regular mechanic, then 4 years later show up with a issue, they will immediately void the warranty cuz they don’t show you bringing it in to them.

Even if you got all the paperwork from your outside mechanic, it don’t matter.

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No setting in the car screen menu.

On our forum, we get this question all the time. How do you reset the oil maintenance light?

Yes, other shops are able to reset the light. I guess if they subscribe to the software or something like that.

I just go to the dealer.

Brakes I'll do myself. The dealers around the country are charging people anywhere from $2,300 to $3,500 JUST for the front pad and rotors.

Those prices are insane!!!
Yeah, I can vouch for that. I took the Q7 to get brakes and rotors at an independent shop and it still ran me $2700. They some big ass rotors, but still this wasn’t OEM rotors and pads.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, I can vouch for that. I took the Q7 to get brakes and rotors at an independent shop and it still ran me $2700. They some big ass rotors, but still this wasn’t OEM rotors and pads.
Wow...

I just bought my pads/rotors online for a few hundred dollars and slapped them bitches on myself.

There were a few things specific to my car, so I had to get on the forums to figure out what I had to do. I was able to watch a few videos and I was good to go!

These shops are making a killing off doing brakes for thousands of dollars.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What do you do when the dealership fucks up your car or fix something that isn't even the problem????Them fuckers are no better,sometimes its a trick on the unsuspecting and sometimes they just dont they damn selves.

Last edited:

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wow...

I just bought my pads/rotors online for a few hundred dollars and slapped them bitches on myself.

There were a few things specific to my car, so I had to get on the forums to figure out what I had to do. I was able to watch a few videos and I was good to go!

These shops are making a killing off doing brakes for thousands of dollars.
I should’ve done that honestly, these days I’d rather pay a little extra to have someone else do it rather than me buying tools that I probably wouldn’t use again and spending a whole day trying to do it slowly.

TRUFICTION

SINCE 1998
BGOL Investor
As a (Mechanic/ Body Tech).... who worked at the highest level of repair
Independent mechanics are not being phased out,
They simply need to keep up with the technology and learn that side of the business.
Is it always inexpensive... Nope, but it is available.
I stopped doing the shit because I moved into IT.
I make more money doing the tech stuff than working in the cars so
Fuck being a mechanic at all, Tech is easier less labor intensive and pays more.

Moving Target

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
tr
Buying old vehicles are good if you got the time to actually work on the vehicle.

A independent mechanic is gonna charge a shit load of money cuz they gotta go find replacement parts that the manufacturer no longer makes.
ue that but i guess thats why people down south have multiples of the same vehicles. there is nothing like fixing it yourself...and sourcing parts is always going to be a pain...even for the classic muscle cars. but rest assured they are out there.

ArsenalCannon357

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think that's the older models, plus I never gave a fuck about my car getting stolen. That's what insurance is for. lol I'm sure I'd feel differently if I lived in a theft prone area though. It's been a looong time since the days of just leaving my car unlock so they don't have to break my window.:dunno:
They got the new anti theft kill switches in the old ones. I just got one installed on my old KIA by the dealership for free. Most people won't bother with going to get the recall done.

Texas Catdaddy

the omnipotent one .....
Platinum Member
I drive a 2002 Chevy Silverado HD Crew Cab 4X4. My truck has over 300,000 miles, and it runs like a champ. I can tow damn near anything I want, and I can go damn near anywhere I want.

I work on it myself when needed. My Brother and I did a full tune up on it last year (He has 2002 Suburban).

My son and my wife's cars has way too many electronics for me.

Every month, someone asks me, "Hey man, do want to sell that Crew Cab?" I have the same answer every time, "NO!"
2003 Tundra i bought last yr. changed the timing belt, water pump, pulleys, radiator, brackets and rebuilt the alternator. should be good for another 10 years .....

Texas Catdaddy

the omnipotent one .....
Platinum Member
Yeah...I can change the oil on my car, but you have to take it to a dealer to clear the oil reset light because of the software.

The dealer charges $100 as a flat shop rate just to clear the fuckin' code!!! It takes them 2 minutes to do it, but they control the software/equipment to do it.

May as well just take it to the dealer to change the fuckin' oil IMO. Probably part of their grand plany anyway.
did the brakes on my daughter's car, had to find out how to put the bih in service mode .....

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor

This is why I get a mechanic that puts on what I tell him to put on. I order the parts online and have them charge labor.
I have a couple of mechanics I can go to. I have one that is quick and cheap but you'll probably be back. Only time I use them if I can have them order OEM. Other mechanic looks things over and tells me what I need. I order OEM parts, he puts them on. Last time I had some work done it was like $350 in and out. Also use the junkyard networks if you can. You can get used but serviceable parts that save you some money and will probably last longer than a lot of aftermarket.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's way to many cars on the road that still need regular mechanics.

My dude's shop stay packed.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
This is why I get a mechanic that puts on what I tell him to put on. I order the parts online and have them charge labor.
I have a couple of mechanics I can go to. I have one that is quick and cheap but you'll probably be back. Only time I use them if I can have them order OEM. Other mechanic looks things over and tells me what I need. I order OEM parts, he puts them on. Last time I had some work done it was like $350 in and out. Also use the junkyard networks if you can. You can get used but serviceable parts that save you some money and will probably last longer than a lot of aftermarket.
Yep...

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
2003 Tundra i bought last yr. changed the timing belt, water pump, pulleys, radiator, brackets and rebuilt the alternator. should be good for another 10 years .....
Had an 03 Sequoia since 2004. It got flooded in 2017 in the Houston floods, so totalled. But prior, only thing I've ever done was brakes, oil and the 4 oxygen sensors went bad. That truck peeled tires all the time. Had so much power. Was a beast with a K&N cold air intake.

Always used full synthetic, and used to have a hydrogen generator I built on it, getting average 25mph on long distance drives, but that's another topic.

And surprised you changed timing belt, it's a chain, nothing should of happened to that and Toyota don't bend valves, so nothing to worry about there if it did break.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I should’ve done that honestly, these days I’d rather pay a little extra to have someone else do it rather than me buying tools that I probably wouldn’t use again and spending a whole day trying to do it slowly.

I don't fuck around with brake work. Not a matter of it being simple.

I need someone to sue if things go wrong!

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
I don't fuck around with brake work. Not a matter of it being simple.

I need someone to sue if things go wrong!

I've done it a few times and it really is simple. It's a total of about 4 bolts (only 2 if just the pads).
First time I took my time. Second time it was maybe 30 minute each time. The most time consuming part is getting the car jacked up and on stands and bleeding the calipers.

Texas Catdaddy

the omnipotent one .....
Platinum Member
junkyards is the shyt ....

Texas Catdaddy

the omnipotent one .....
Platinum Member
Had an 03 Sequoia since 2004. It got flooded in 2017 in the Houston floods, so totalled. But prior, only thing I've ever done was brakes, oil and the 4 oxygen sensors went bad. That truck peeled tires all the time. Had so much power. Was a beast with a K&N cold air intake.

Always used full synthetic, and used to have a hydrogen generator I built on it, getting average 25mph on long distance drives, but that's another topic.

And surprised you changed timing belt, it's a chain, nothing should of happened to that and Toyota don't bend valves, so nothing to worry about there if it did break.
my first Toyota, got it from my credit union. did my research and saw that engine was a beast, but I don't recall seeing any with a chain. and the mileage on it said it was time for that work and I think the previous owner wasn't with it .....

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
my first Toyota, got it from my credit union. did my research and saw that engine was a beast, but I don't recall seeing any with a chain. and the mileage on it said it was time for that work and I think the previous owner wasn't with it .....
My bad, couldn't remember, thought it was a chain. Never did mine. I had full intentions of letting it run til it burst, because as I said Toyota's are the one engine makers that don't bend valves, at least the older engines. Hope they didn't change that.

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Get ready for the never ending line of hoes.

@Dr. Truth
@tallblacknyc
@shaddyvillethug / pedovillethug

#KIAfolife
lol, my impressing bitches with the ride days are over. These days I like comfort features and cost. :cool:

PS, To be clear, the shit that impresses women in car is surprisingly not much I’ve learned since my divorce. Some of these hoes will dick ride a new V6 Charger.

King Mob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Shit like this should be covered under right to repair, which congress is focusing on consumer electronics. It's gonna have to be expanded to vehicles too. I bought the shit and I should be able to do anything I want to it.

Texas Catdaddy

the omnipotent one .....
Platinum Member
how many dudes feel confident with their work ? took my beater on a short road trip last weekend, bout 500 miles. no tools or cables in the truck ..... :lol:

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
how many dudes feel confident with their work ? took my beater on a short road trip last weekend, bout 500 miles. no tools or cables in the truck ..... :lol:
the battery died in my Cadillac last week....i wasn't sure why til i took the battery to Autozone to be recharged.
After hours, they said it was a bad battery and unable to be recharged. The only thing that could kill a battery like that is a bad alternator.
They replaced my battery for free since i had bought it from them about a year and a half ago,....and asked if i wanted to buy an alternator.
Shit was $290. I'm like nope....fuck u very much. Got on Amazon and ordered one for $130, arrived the next day.
I reached out to the same guy who replaced one of the air struts on my Mercedes a few days ago and asked him how much he'd charge to replace it.
Nigga gone talk about some $265. The hell u say. FOH. I replaced the alternator this morning. Took about an hour. Put in the new battery
after i was done and now its back rollin good as new. I encourage niggas,......start learning how to do your own repairs. Unless its heavy engine work. Could save you a ton of money.

Database Error

You're right dawg
OG Investor
the battery died in my Cadillac last week....i wasn't sure why til i took the battery to Autozone to be recharged.
After hours, they said it was a bad battery and unable to be recharged. The only thing that could kill a battery like that is a bad alternator.
They replaced my battery for free since i had bought it from them about a year and a half ago,....and asked if i wanted to buy an alternator.
Shit was $290. I'm like nope....fuck u very much. Got on Amazon and ordered one for $130, arrived the next day.
I reached out to the same guy who replaced one of the air struts on my Mercedes a few days ago and asked him how much he'd charge to replace it.
Nigga gone talk about some $265. The hell u say. FOH. I replaced the alternator this morning. Took about an hour. Put in the new battery
after i was done and now its back rollin good as new. I encourage niggas,......start learning how to do your own repairs. Unless its heavy engine work. Could save you a ton of money.
:bravo:
:cheers: