Joyce DeWitt wore jeans on Three’s company because……

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
558aa36fd54e168b72da91453a9cb257bc02e16b4859065bfa2d1aa2e0c334e4_1.jpg
The thing with Dewitt wasn't that she didn't show her legs, it was she never showed her bare legs. She always wore pantyhose whenever her legs were shown.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
It's hilarious how shows like Three's Company and Little House on the Prairie have warnings at the start of their shows on some networks, yet shows like Power don't lol.

It ain't hilarious man. It's indicative of how the most negative Black stereotypes are allowed to pass freely. And even sadder is how Black people rush to embrace the worst of us.

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered
They were splitting that rent (it was ($350 per month) and Jack barely worked.
he was getting 500 a month from the navy, plus using the rest to feed himself and the girls???, somebody is giving up something or starve to death

Duece

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Three's Company was one of my favorite shows. Could never be made today.

Absolutely true but the funny thing about Three's Company is that the show managed to largely escape modern critiques and reassessments, especially when the show saw a resurgence of popularity during the pandemic on Pluto TV.

People wrote articles on the show pointing out certain things that work today and the fact that it was a jiggle tv show but instead of attempting to cancel the show, they gave praise to the cast and called the show "comfort tv"

Must be something about $350 per month rent in Santa Monica that makes young people drop their cancellation ideas

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
Absolutely true but the funny thing about Three's Company is that the show managed to largely escape modern critiques and reassessments, especially when the show saw a resurgence of popularity during the pandemic on Pluto TV.

People wrote articles on the show pointing out certain things that work today and the fact that it was a jiggle tv show but instead of attempting to cancel the show, they gave praise to the cast and called the show "comfort tv"

Must be something about $350 per month rent in Santa Monica that makes young people drop their cancellation ideas

Yeah but there was a lot of homophobic jokes centered around Jack having to act like he was gay which wouldn't go over well today.

Duece

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah but there was a lot of homophobic jokes centered around Jack having to act like he was gay which wouldn't go over well today.

Nearly none of the show would go over well today but it seems that when the show was rediscovered by younger generations via Pluto TV during the pandemic, it avoided getting a scathing re-assessment and cancellation by modern audiences.

Simply, when younger folks found the show, they recognized its dated aspects but instead of criticizing the show, they just accepted it as a time capsule of the late 70s, early 80s. Which is refreshing considering we were at a point where a lot of old shit was getting social cancelled left and right.

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered
Nearly none of the show would go over well today but it seems that when the show was rediscovered by younger generations via Pluto TV during the pandemic, it avoided getting a scathing re-assessment and cancellation by modern audiences.

Simply, when younger folks found the show, they recognized its dated aspects but instead of criticizing the show, they just accepted it as a time capsule of the late 70s, early 80s. Which is refreshing considering we were at a point where a lot of old shit was getting social cancelled left and right.
of course, it would, i'm watching clips of show on tv right now and they make this show look like a school play

wwetv100

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

The thing with Three's Company to a modern younger audience is there are many aspects that would be deemed outdated as Mr. Roper and Mr. Furley not wanting to rent out to a man with two women living in the apartment.

Jack pretending to be gay to get by could be seen as problematic, BUT despite Roper and Furley's actions they did accept he was gay somewhat. When they did questionable acts against Jack they would get ridiculed by the other characters. A lot of trope on the show was misunderstandings. At some points the show is just real Loony Tunes with Larry being the precursor to Quagmire on Family Guy :lol:

It ain't hilarious man. It's indicative of how the most negative Black stereotypes are allowed to pass freely. And even sadder is how Black people rush to embrace the worst of us.
I think you answered your critique, but you are right. When shows like Three's Company came out it DID get backlash along with shows like Soap that pushed the boundaries.

There are critics of shows like Power in terms of the stereotypes, but it goes nowhere most of the time. When you got 50 Cent as executive producer who rose to fame being the controversial rapper who got shot, it is hard to say with that series there is an agenda since it comes at the hands of our own.

Just like the blaxploitation era.

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered
jack would not be satisfy lana, she is a older woman curious about a younger man. jack is not experienced enough to rock her

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered
The thing with Three's Company to a modern younger audience is there are many aspects that would be deemed outdated as Mr. Roper and Mr. Furley not wanting to rent out to a man with two women living in the apartment.

Jack pretending to be gay to get by could be seen as problematic, BUT despite Roper and Furley's actions they did accept he was gay somewhat. When they did questionable acts against Jack they would get ridiculed by the other characters. A lot of trope on the show was misunderstandings. At some points the show is just real Loony Tunes with Larry being the precursor to Quagmire on Family Guy :lol:

I think you answered your critique, but you are right. When shows like Three's Company came out it DID get backlash along with shows like Soap that pushed the boundaries.

There are critics of shows like Power in terms of the stereotypes, but it goes nowhere most of the time. When you got 50 Cent as executive producer who rose to fame being the controversial rapper who got shot, it is hard to say with that series there is an agenda since it comes at the hands of our own.

Just like the blaxploitation era.
they were all stereotypes, every white dude is not a ladys man anymore then every white father is nothing like Mr. brady or Mr. Cunnigham.

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered
plus the producers decided to treat Janet and Chrissy and the rest like homely looking girls, like they never got taken out on a saturday night nor did they have boyfriends, plenty of esp where they had to ask jack or mr roper to pretend to be their man which was crazy.

Duece

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Possibly Controversial Opinion:

Ann Wedgeworth was miscast as Lana because she was too pretty for what the writers had in mind for the Lana character.

Lana was introduced in the 4th season and only lasted 13 episodes, afterwards, she was never seen or mentioned again.

Here's snippet from a TC fan site.
According to the book Come and Knock on Our Door: A Hers and Hers and His Guide to Three's Company, the addition of Lana to the cast caused tension between John Ritter and the show's writers. Ritter believed it would be out of character for the sex-crazed Jack to inexplicably turn down the advances of a sexually voracious, attractive older woman. The writers reasoned that because Lana was older than Jack, he would be turned off. Ritter didn't believe that the middle-aged Lana, only meant to be in her forties (whereas Jack was in his late twenties/early thirties), would repel Jack.

I agree with John Ritter. Ann Wedgeworth was just 45 years old when she was on Three's Company and was still quite attractive, while she wasn't dressed as revealing as Chrissy and Janet, she wasn't exactly dressed as a frumpy grandmother either, she looked like a stylish, late 70s MILF and man in his late 20s, coming out of the sexual revolution surely would have fucked. The MILF is not exactly a new thing. Kay Parker and Gloria Leonard are considered legends for a reason.

I asked a white dude who is roughly the same age as John Ritter, what he thought of Lana back in 1979 and he said he certainly would have fucked.

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's hilarious how shows like Three's Company and Little House on the Prairie have warnings at the start of their shows on some networks, yet shows like Power don't lol.
What warnings? I didn't watch much Little House but I watched Three's Company, I don't remember any warnings.

wwetv100

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
What warnings? I didn't watch much Little House but I watched Three's Company, I don't remember any warnings.
Warnings are put on some networks NOW, but not back then for these two series.

Soap and All In The Family had warnings back then though during original season.

they were all stereotypes, every white dude is not a ladys man anymore then every white father is nothing like Mr. brady or Mr. Cunnigham.
All tv shows have stereotypes though, it just a matter of how they execute and write the characters that upsets writers. Stereotypes help create viewers to relate unfortunately.

Good Times original got lambasted for it too.

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered
Warnings are put on some networks NOW, but not back then for these two series.

Soap and All In The Family had warnings back then though during original season.

All tv shows have stereotypes though, it just a matter of how they execute and write the characters that upsets writers. Stereotypes help create viewers to relate unfortunately.

Good Times original got lambasted for it too.

Possibly Controversial Opinion:

Ann Wedgeworth was miscast as Lana because she was too pretty for what the writers had in mind for the Lana character.

Lana was introduced in the 4th season and only lasted 13 episodes, afterwards, she was never seen or mentioned again.

Here's snippet from a TC fan site.

I agree with John Ritter. Ann Wedgeworth was just 45 years old when she was on Three's Company and was still quite attractive, while she wasn't dressed as revealing as Chrissy and Janet, she wasn't exactly dressed as a frumpy grandmother either, she looked like a stylish, late 70s MILF and man in his late 20s, coming out of the sexual revolution surely would have fucked. The MILF is not exactly a new thing. Kay Parker and Gloria Leonard are considered legends for a reason.

I asked a white dude who is roughly the same age as John Ritter, what he thought of Lana back in 1979 and he said he certainly would have fucked.
jack has experience with malibu hoes, Lana is a older experience woman,