Kendrick Lamar disses Drake & J Cole on Metro Boomin & Futures Album/ Rick Ross Responds/ Kanye Responds/Kendrick Responds 4X / Drake Responds 3X

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
it wasnt the biggest battle of all time though...

What was?

Social media increases engagement. It seems way bigger than Pac/Biggie or Nas/Jay-Z to me-- To say nothing about song quality or the merits but it just seems like the biggest now is going to be by default way bigger than anything pre-2008.

This shit was unavoidable. I was pretty late to it but it seemed like something you just had to pay attention to.

They played Not Like Us at the DNC for cryin' out loud... That's because of it's unparalleled cultural resonance.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What was?

Social media increases engagement. It seems way bigger than Pac/Biggie or Nas/Jay-Z to me-- To say nothing about song quality or the merits but it just seems like the biggest now is going to be by default way bigger than anything pre-2008.

This shit was unavoidable. I was pretty late to it but it seemed like something you just had to pay attention to.

They played Not Like Us at the DNC for cryin' out loud... That's because of it's unparalleled cultural resonance.
Nothing was bigger than Big and Pac; nothing!!!

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"Who Shot Ya" didn't even mention Tupac-- it was a pretty one-sided feud.

I think it mainly became legend because they both died shortly after.

How would you quantify it?
Regardless of the songs or what not; it accompanied 2 coast; and all the east vs west shit that occurred during and afterwards; and all the artist that were involved!! So many!! Kdot and Drake was just that; pac and big was bigger

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Regardless of the songs or what not; it accompanied 2 coast; and all the east vs west shit that occurred during and afterwards; and all the artist that were involved!! So many!! Kdot and Drake was just that; pac and big was bigger

It seems that a regional feud (California vs NY) is definitionally less wide-reaching than Kendrick vs Drake (not just national but international).

I also beg to differ on "regardless of the songs"-- that shit had one memorable song with direct hits. It doesn't compare.

Personally, I think Nas/Jay-Z beats 2pac/Biggie for that reason.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It seems that a regional feud (California vs NY) is definitionally less wide-reaching than Kendrick vs Drake (not just national but international).

I also beg to differ on "regardless of the songs"-- that shit had one memorable song with direct hits. It doesn't compare.

Personally, I think Nas/Jay-Z beats 2pac/Biggie for that reason.
You must not been around during that time! The big pac beef wasn’t regional; it engulf all of hip hop!! And at that time the overwhelming majority of acts came out of either NY or LA ! Again common, who was from Chicago, was involved; just as an example! So it kills in comparison; you guys get caught up in social media like it’s the only thing in the world. Social media doesn’t make it bigger…

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
You must not been around during that time! The big pac beef wasn’t regional; it engulf all of hip hop!! And at that time the overwhelming majority of acts came out of either NY or LA ! Again common, who was from Chicago, was involved; just as an example! So it kills in comparison; you guys get caught up in social media like it’s the only thing in the world. Social media doesn’t make it bigger…

I was single digits in age...

I do think social media is an amplifier and it absolutely does make things bigger. Kendrick/Drake, with the exact same songs, would not have been nearly as big 20 years ago.

The conversation here is "bigger" not "best"...

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I do think social media is an amplifier and it absolutely does make things bigger. Kendrick/Drake, with the exact same songs, would not have been nearly as big 20 years ago.

I agree but at the time, all of hip hop was involved in some way or another with the pac and big! Shit was wild and everyone took sides and had an opinion! Unlike kdot and drake, where a lot of people were scared to say anything!! Every magazine every radio station every dj every everything was talking about it. Got so big that both are gone in some ways because of it; nothing bigger fam…

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

This is THE ONE for me,

He prayed. Told God he knew it may not be want He wanted him to do, but he has to as a man. Brought his ancestor (grandmother) into it for protection. And said he understand there may be consequences that come with this, but he'll sleep well knowing he did the right thing. He knew Family Matters was coming (that night) and knew he had Meet The Grahams afterward and what that would do. That shit is a lyrical masterclass. I'll be using it to teach my college workshops this year

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor

This. Not to mention the amount of songs in a short timeframe.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is THE ONE for me,

He prayed. Told God he knew it may not be want He wanted him to do, but he has to as a man. Brought his ancestor (grandmother) into it for protection. And said he understand there may be consequences that come with this, but he'll sleep well knowing he did the right thing. He knew Family Matters was coming (that night) and knew he had Meet The Grahams afterward and what that would do. That shit is a lyrical masterclass. I'll be using it to teach my college workshops this year
“Jake, I’m surgical with this bitch “…