Movie Biz: Umm, Is DISNEY BUYING our ENTIRE childhood? (Update: IT'S OFFICIAL FOX DEAL DONE!)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I just realized in the last few years DISNEY has acquired...

The Muppets and Jim Henson Studios
for UNDER $200 million

Marvel Comics

Disney Swoops Into Action, Buying Marvel for $4 Billion

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/business/media/01disney.html?_r=0

Star Wars/Lucas Films

Disney acquires Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion, plans more Star Wars movies

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-for-4-05-billion-plans-more-star-war/

and they own ESPN and Pixar right?

Why is more NOT been said about this???

Kentaro

Star
Registered
:smh: damn they own ABC too.

corporate.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Give the mouse your cash and hush it bro :lol:

All jokes aside you cant really begin to understand how big Disney is until you go to Orlando and see their influence all throughout the state

:lol:

but I JUST released that they own all this entities and I mean these and SMALL time names man..

and that Muppets movie made a TON of money and they go a sequel out...

they made that money back in ONE film not including DVD sales:eek:

Lets not talk about Avengers...:D

or ESPN's new network deals with individual schools and college Football conferences.

My Gawd...

And all these smaller studios are losing the individual Marvel film rights every year cause they dont want to mess with the mouse...look what happened with Ghost Rider.

But I dont hear NO ONE talking on this takeover of all this properties and they are really targeting a specific demographic too.

Brilliant.

DC/Warner Brothers LOST !!!!

I wouldn't be surprised in 10 years if they started going after DC COMICS!!!

Imagine a Teen Titans Vs. X-man MOVIE!!!

Dont LAUGH...

Real2DaC0re

Rising Star
Registered
Disney the only 1 who can do it. The other studio companies are just studio companies. Disney is an Empire. They got parks, cruise ships, resorts, toys, movies, games, tv shows, book publishing, and sports

Last edited:

HotSauce161

Star
Registered

but I JUST released that they own all this entities and I mean these and SMALL time names man..

and that Muppets movie made a TON of money and they go a sequel out...

they made that money back in ONE film not including DVD sales:eek:

Lets not talk about Avengers...:D

or ESPN's new network deals with individual schools and college Football conferences.

My Gawd...

And all these smaller studios are losing the individual Marvel film rights every year cause they dont want to mess with the mouse...look what happened with Ghost Rider.

But I dont hear NO ONE talking on this takeover of all this properties and they are really targeting a specific demographic too.

Brilliant.

DC/Warner Brothers LOST !!!!

I wouldn't be surprised in 10 years if they started going after DC COMICS!!!

Imagine a Teen Titans Vs. X-man MOVIE!!!

Dont LAUGH...

If your mind is blown now, don't look into how the Mouse House lobbied to shape US copyright law.

Reactions: smz

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
I've been buying the stock for a few years for my kid's college accounts...You just reminded me to get a few more shares...:rolleyes:
z

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
There were also rumors not long ago of Disney buying Hasbro as well (Transformers,Gi Joe).....Disney minus whale buy Hasbro since Hasbro owns Parker Bros. They really are on some Monopoly shit.

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I just realized in the last few years DISNEY has acquired...

The Muppets and Jim Henson Studios
for UNDER $200 million

This isn't exactly correct.

Jim Henson was going to sell out to Disney in 1990 but died before signing the contract. In the end it was reduced to the distribution rights of all the Henson library to that point. From then, the company went in and out of several companies and the family's hands, and what you are referring to is when the family finally sold the Muppets and Bear in the Blue House to Disney. Those products were put under their own subsidiary, called 'The Muppets Studio'

Jim Henson Studios still exists, and is still in the family's hands, and they still occasionally do work with the Muppets, but they largely co-produce shows with other companies like Dinosaur Train, Farscape or the upcoming Fraggle Rock movie and Pinocchio.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This isn't exactly correct.

Jim Henson was going to sell out to Disney in 1990 but died before signing the contract. In the end it was reduced to the distribution rights of all the Henson library to that point. From then, the company went in and out of several companies and the family's hands, and what you are referring to is when the family finally sold the Muppets and Bear in the Blue House to Disney. Those products were put under their own subsidiary, called 'The Muppets Studio'

Jim Henson Studios still exists, and is still in the family's hands, and they still occasionally do work with the Muppets, but they largely co-produce shows with other companies like Dinosaur Train, Farscape or the upcoming Fraggle Rock movie and Pinocchio.

So what about the recent movie and its sequel...

they just distribution deals?

Aren't the characters being used at the parks too?

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So what about the recent movie and its sequel...

they just distribution deals?

Aren't the characters being used at the parks too?

Disney owns the Muppets outright and purchased those rights a few years ago. They did all their distribution deals since the 90s anyways. Jim Henson Studios is still family owned, but does work with Disney on things like the movies and so forth.

Bruh In Law

The Peoples Champ
Certified Pussy Poster
im cool with it, they not scared to put up dough and produce stuff,

the Marvel universe can be put on display 24-7 if you ask me, they need their own channel

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Disney owns the Muppets outright and purchased those rights a few years ago. They did all their distribution deals since the 90s anyways. Jim Henson Studios is still family owned, but does work with Disney on things like the movies and so forth.

WOW...

I cant wait for someone to write a a book on this...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
That Disney paper is mad decades long. Hell ... we were on a roadtrip in the fall of 2010 and hit up Disneyland there in Anaheim, CA. Fucking $76 or whatever to get in for the all-day adult pass. I was paying for other parts of the trip, and didn't have to pay this portion ... but shit ... I would have lost my shit had I been the one paying. Fortunately we were hitting up the UFC that same week, so shit worked out well.

beof

Rising Star
Registered
You ain't know? Mickey Mouse training to be a Jedi right now

True story. The movie and video game will be out in a few years . Then the muppets will be joining the star wars universe as well. Mo money mo money mo money.

N*E*R*D

Out here somewhere
Registered
With that being said, when they make these movies will they all be watered down to fit their "image" of the Disney company? Like will there be less violence in movies?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
With that being said, when they make these movies will they all be watered down to fit their "image" of the Disney company? Like will there be less violence in movies?

dont think so...look at Avengers movie and they have the same # of MAX adult comic line so I think they just trying to get paid, period.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor

I don't they will. I mean, Disney owns/owned multiple companies and studios which produce PG-13 & R rated films

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How does AOL have 124 billion to spend in 2001? Someone explain that to me.

It was a merger mixture of stock and cash. In reality, it was actually the reverse, but since Tech stocks were booming at the time, spun in the press as AOL doing the purchase.

And I hate to do it, but the graphic is off too. It's implying that GE owns Comcast. In reality, they both own NBC with Comcast owning 51% and GE the other 49%