Movie News: Wesley Snipes Doesn’t Want Anyone Else to Play Blade

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Wesley Snipes still wants to play the role of Blade in the MCU. Snipes’ superhero career launched in 1998, when he played a heavily-adapted Daywalker for New Line’s Blade. The film was a remarkable success, grossing $131.2 million against a budget of only $45 million.

Blade launched a successful film franchise, which sadly came to an end with 2004’s Blade: Trinity. Where the first two films were critical and commercial successes, the third was seen as a huge disappointment by most. Snipes was reportedly difficult to work with, and wound up suing New Line Cinema and director David S. Goyer. Snipes dropped out of the role, and was replaced by Kirk “Sticky Fingaz” Jones for a short-lived TV series.

RELATED: KEVIN FEIGE: BLADE SHOULD JOIN THE MCU ONE DAY

The Blade film franchise may have come to a close in 2004, but it’s still fondly remembered by superhero and horror fans. Not ready to leave arguably his signature role behind, Snipes has just taken to social media to stress that he’d still love to play the part going forward.

The screen rights to Blade reverted back to Marvel in 2011. The franchise has never felt like a good fit for the MCU, where the movies tend to aim for a PG-13 rating and try to be family friendly. There are signs that may soon change, though. Disney’s purchase of FOX gives Marvel access to a successful R-rated property, Deadpool. Disney CEO Bob Iger has already assured fans that the Merc With A Mouth’s future is secure, and that he’ll stay R-rated. There’s no reason Blade couldn’t join Deadpool as an R-rated Marvel franchise.

Looking beyond the big screen, the last two years have seen Marvel Television explore some new approaches. Working with Netflix, Marvel has created a darker, more violent corner of the MCU. It’s currently populated by street-fighters such as Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and the Punisher. There’s no reason Marvel Television couldn’t create supernatural shows with a similar tone and style. Over on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Season 4 saw Marvel introduce the supernatural in Gabriel Luna’s Ghost Rider. That proved to be a tremendous success, and with the series remaining at a later timeslot for season 5, it could potentially unveil vampires in the future.

Even if Marvel does choose to bring Blade into the MCU at last, they may not be open to hiring Snipes for the role. The success of Marvel’s Spider-Man relaunch proves that the House of Ideas prefers to recreate, rather than repeat. Snipes’ success is a crucial part of Marvel’s past, but it may not be appropriate for their future. In the case of Blade, using Snipes would be an approach unlike any Marvel has attempted before. It would suggest that New Line’s trilogy – including Blade: Trinity – had been absorbed into the canon of the MCU. Given Trinity‘s poor reception, and troubled history, that may not be a smart move on Marvel’s part.

https://screenrant.com/wesley-snipes-blade-new-actor/

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
BTW. Death Wish was worth seeing. Straight Popcorn movie. But entertaining.

And unfortunately a dog whistle to Trump voters.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
honestly if we had got another blade my vote would go to

mahershala-ali-true-detective-season-3.jpg

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Does anyone know why there were so many Asians in Blade? In Hollywood movies, they don't usually hire a large number of Blacks or Asians as extras, unless there's a specific purpose.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Does anyone know why there were so many Asians in Blade? In Hollywood movies, they don't usually hire a large number of Blacks or Asians as extras, unless there's a specific purpose.

needed people on par with snipes' martial arts skills. dead serious.

snipes is the real deal. can't have some wack dudes trying to fight him.

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
needed people on par with snipes' martial arts skills. dead serious.

snipes is the real deal. can't have some wack dudes trying to fight him.
I don't remember Snipes fighting that many Asians. If I remember right, in the opening scene where Traci Lords brings the guy to the vampire club there was one Asian female vampire swinging swords but all the rest of the vampires were Blacks or Whites. I think he fought a few in that Asian club but they weren't long battles just Blade grabbing and throwing them. It just seemed like there were a lot of Asian extras in the background.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
naw..pass the baton and give wesley the mentor role in the reboot...hell in the comics blades real mentor is a black dude anyway..they whitewashed that shit for the movie.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Wesley needs to get back I shape. He doesn't look much different than when he played Blade. It's not too late. Hit the gym, put on the makeup and get back to it.

They'd see Black Panther numbers again, because This time it's in MCU and not New Line

rNubb

Rising Star
Registered
If they recast Blade then please use a brother who knows martial arts and hopefully he looks tough.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Wesley needs to get back I shape. He doesn't look much different than when he played Blade. It's not too late. Hit the gym, put on the makeup and get back to it.

They'd see Black Panther numbers again, because This time it's in MCU and not New Line

fam...

he was on some show on NBC like 2 years ago...

he almost STOLE that series with his acting and physicality

he was in FANTASTIC shape.

that series SHOULD have been his from the jump.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
fam...

he was on some show on NBC like 2 years ago...

he almost STOLE that series with his acting and physicality

he was in FANTASTIC shape.

that series SHOULD have been his from the jump.

When I say get back in shape. I mean bulk up for the role again. He's still in great shape for his age.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My belief.
(If they're not gonna bring back Wes.)
- Start from scratch.
- Relaunch the series.
- Cast a young(er) unknown.
- Have a tie in with Dr. Strange.
And above all...
DO NOT try to recreate the exact same Blade that Wesley was.
Update his look, his gear and his mannerisms. (Otherwise they'll just be impersonating Wes...)
Give the audience something new.
Move the character forward. Not backwards.

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My belief.
(If they're not gonna bring back Wes.)
- Start from scratch.
- Relaunch the series.
- Cast a young(er) unknown.
- Have a tie in with Dr. Strange.
And above all...
DO NOT try to recreate the exact same Blade that Wesley was.
Update his look, his gear and his mannerisms. (Otherwise they'll just be impersonating Wes...)
Give the audience something new.
Move the character forward. Not backwards.

I believe he now has a daughter in the comics, Fallon? A live action movie could still acknowledge Wes as her dad, but focus on her story.