Music Debate: 10 yrs for NOW which MC will be considered the BEST!!!

10 years from now which MC will be more HIGHLY REGARDED?

• Total voters

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Eminem.

For the same reasons that Led Zeppelin is considered better than Chuck Berry.

One guy gets universal airplay, one gets play on Video Music Box once in a while and every now and then maybe BET will throw him a bone

^^^

This was the point of the question...

my worst fear is Rakim will be reduced marginalized or even forgotten...

its like that Eminem dressed as Elvis video was much more accurate then we all thought.

And this is from a fan of Em's music but I think in 10-15 years they may put Eminem on Rakim's level for the new generation of hip hop fans.

I was telling my nephews about Grandmaster Caz and they just stared at me.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
^^^

This was the point of the question...

my worst fear is Rakim will be reduced marginalized or even forgotten...

its like that Eminem dressed as Elvis video was much more accurate then we all thought.

And this is from a fan of Em's music but I think in 10-15 years they may put Eminem on Rakim's level for the new generation of hip hop fans.

I was telling my nephews about Grandmaster Caz and they just stared at me.
just history repeating itself - like in the 60s the Beatles and the Stones loved and worshiped Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, and crew but almost none of their fans knew who these artists were or even cared...

Em is a very deep student of hiphop - his knowledge of hiphop outstrips 99% of members of this board and probably rivals the remaining 1%...
The lyrics listed above was Em paying homage not ripping off - but even though Em pays extensive homage to Rakim, Masta Ace, etc.... all of the time -but 99% of his fans have no clue who Large Professor is and thinks Rakim is the dude that does Hennessy commercials... in 10 years it'll be even worse, Wutang will be as relevant to hip hop as Earth Wind and Fire is to today's R&B

sirwoodz

Rising Star
Registered
eminem is the greatest technical rapper of all time

in terms of the bare essence of being an emcee and rhyming over beats, nobody has done what he can, not sure how anybody can disagree with that honestly.

but that doesn't mean he has to be your FAVORITE rapper...i know cats that just wanna listen to down south pimp/playa/smoke shit so they ain't fucking with eminem like that

and i know political conscious dudes that can't stand eminem etc etc...

but em is the GOAT. period.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

in terms of the bare essence of being an emcee and rhyming over beats, nobody has done what he can, not sure how anybody can disagree with that honestly.

but that doesn't mean he has to be your FAVORITE rapper...i know cats that just wanna listen to down south pimp/playa/smoke shit so they ain't fucking with eminem like that

Pharoahe%2BMonch.jpg

:smh:

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Maybe it's just me but I think Eminem is wayyyyy overrated. I respect what he did on the business side but I give his rap skills a B-

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

after reading your post a second time... fuck that -

Em is the GOAT just the same as Les Paul or Clapton are the GOAT of rock guitarists or Lennon McCartney in the Beatles are tied with Stones and Led Zepplin as the greatest blues and rock writers and bands, or Elvis and the Beach Boys are kings and pioneers of rock n roll....
ok leave race out then - its like saying Coltrane or Davis are GOAT over Parker and Gillespie.

Em is one of the best commercially viable lyricists there is- but as a pure MC no $$ in the convo- is he really nicer than Rakim, Raekwon, Kane, Nas, Monch, Pun etc?

Dr. Truth

QUACK!
BGOL Investor

We already knew you were a cracka.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
2 of my top 5...

No question Eminem will be more highly regarded in 10 years-- older rappers will only fade further from view and memory. Kids who were born after Tupac and Biggie died are going to be going to college in a couple of years.

Good music and artistry stay around no matter how much times passes. Em work is not timeless. So while he may enjoy short time as being considered the best. In the long term Rakim will be rediscovered and put back in his proper perspective.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor

Good music and artistry stay around no matter how much times passes. Em work is not timeless. So while he may enjoy short time as being considered the best. In the long term Rakim will be rediscovered and put back in his proper perspective.

Eminem's first hit came out 15 years ago. How many other rappers have stayed relevant for a decade and a half?

ak_rep

Rising Star
Registered
Eminem's first hit came out 15 years ago. How many other rappers have stayed relevant for a decade and a half?

Eminem is a cash cow. And he's steadily tarnishing his legacy with every release. Answer this, do you think in a thousand years, Rakim could release a single like Bizzerk or Bizarre or whatever it's called? Then ask yourself why.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered

Jay-Z

Em has skills but his skin has kept him relevant (as well as being the protege of Dr Dre). The relevancy isn't for infinite.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Jay-Z

Em has skills but his skin has kept him relevant (as well as being the protege of Dr Dre). The relevancy isn't for infinite.

I strongly disagree

Plenty of white rappers have come and gone over the years. Aside from Eminem and the Beastie Boys can you think of any that have lasted even longer than five? (I'm not counting Kid Rock or Everlast because they got most of their clout as rock n roll singers).

Yes, Dre was a huge part of it. Without him Eminem would have stayed a local artist at best, but how is that any different from most rappers? Where would Snoop had been if Dre hadn't got him on the Deep Cover soundtrack? That's not to take anything away from him either, but nobody makes it to that level of the game without a team behind them.

l9ikjam

Star
OG Investor

I don't think he is the greatest lyrics wise but flowing over a beat any beat there is not too many rappers that can mess with him. I used to be a big Em fan but listening to his 1st few cds I think I outgrew his music.

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I see both side of the equation; Eminem is/was definitely a shock rapper to me and I he never related to me or where I was from; However his lyricism is high and puts him on the all time great list, not top but on the list; Aside from him being white, I never felt like he was revolutionary; Rakim to me was revolutionary; Yes there were others out before him that were dope; But to me when Rakim dropped Paid in Full; THE GAME CHANGED!!! so he gets my vote...