Music Debate: Did 50 Cent & Ja DESTROY NY hip hop?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
2016 is the year of social media sparring. Earlier today (Feb. 26), 50 Cent set his sights on Hot 97’s Program Director, Ebro Darden. The Power player believes that Darden mistakenly blames him for the decline in New York’s Hip-Hop scene.

In an Instagram caption to a picture of Ebro, 50 wrote, “This Guy said I destroyed New York HipHop because I didn’t work with New York artist to cover up he was the program director that wouldn’t play there records. sMH #EFFENVODKA.”

Following 50’s passionate allegations, the veteran radio personality addressed his morning show audience. He asserted that the epic feud between Ja Rule and 50 Cent initiated the demise of New York’s prominence in Rap. “When 50 and Ja didn’t want to work together and people was affiliated on this side and people was on that side, it made other people from other places not also want to do music with those artists,” as reported by Hip Hollywood, “because they didn’t want no problems.”

Ebro would openly elaborate on his perspective. Through a screen shot captured by The Shade Room, Ebro states, “He wanted to throw up a conversation on his Instagram about how I said his beef with Ja and that whole thing divided New York in a way that crippled New York forever,” he says. “50 and I have had this discussion face-to-face. He don’t like it, but then he wants to say I’m covering for the fact that I don’t support New York artists. Well, I’m here for the flames.”

After Ebro made that caustic assertion the Queens rapper has replied. As it relates to the music industry, the emerging entrepreneur challenged radio’s relevance. Again the I instigator beckoned, “”I saw your response truth is you wouldn’t know a hit,if it hit your ass in the head. Radio is all messed up, New artist have to break on line. I know you can’t see it but you don’t mean shit anymore. Buy the time you support records there already working fool. Name one new Artist or song out of New York you broke. Lol you should be ashamed of your self.#EFFENVODKA”

http://allhiphop.com/2016/02/26/50-tangles-with-ebro/

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
hell nah it didn't destroy ny hip hop that shit was like a decade ago.
niggas just suck
and the rest try and bite the south
and the rest make some regional shit. your region ain't the hot shit no more you had a good run.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Why 50 Cent Is Taking Aim At Hot 97 Radio Host, Ebro Darden

50 Cent may have just ignited some serious beef with famous radio host, Ebro Darden.

The rapper took aim at New York’s Hot 97 personality after it was suggested that Fiddy destroyed New York Hip Hop because of his beef with rapper Ja Rule.

“This Guy said I destroyed New York HipHop because I didn’t work with New York artist, to cover up he was the program director that wouldn’t play there records. sMH,” 50 Cent posted on Instagram.

Following the post, Ebro took to his radio show to further address the initial comments made. “When 50 and Ja didn’t want to work together and people was affiliated on this side and people was on that side, it made other people from other places not also want to do music with those artists because they didn’t want no problems.”

He added, “50 and I have had this discussion face to face. He don’t like it but then he wants to say I’m covering for the fact I didn’t support New York artists.”

Curtis Jackson, the rapper’s legal name, quickly responded to Ebro’s rebuttal with a lengthy post on social media that read:

“I saw your response, truth is you wouldn’t know a hit,if it hit your ass in the head. Radio is all messed up, New artist have to break on line. I know you can’t see it but you don’t mean shit anymore. Buy the time you support records there already working fool. Name one new Artist or song out of New York you broke. Lol you should be ashamed of your self.”

We wouldn’t be surprised if 50 appears on the show for another face to face

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
this shit again name me one NY rapper that was hot that was doing kumbaya songs with other rappers? NY rappers had so many beefs behind the scenes it is what it is. ebro just love to talk.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
that is it in a damn nutshell

but the thing is they WERE at the time

and could have should have been just been the natural progression of braggadocio right?

Run said it first and best

they were a lot of superstars who performed on this stage tonight...

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Pretty sure that was around the time when recording became something that you no longer had to go to major studio to do.
Cats started building their own setups and it allowed other regions specifically the south to shine.
With that ,southern hip hop tends to be more dance/club friendly.
Nobody is dancing to wu tang.
Those southern artists were eating off clubs.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
all it is.

but we had rival crews and gangs in NY and hell West Coast had REAL gangs

and the music STILL got made.

I cant blame 50 and Ja for that.

If I remember correctly even during the HEIGHT of the East Coast West Coast beef...

artists from different coasts STILL performed together to some degree, right?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Pretty sure that was around the time when recording became something that you no longer had to go to major studio to do.
Cats started building their own setups and it allowed other regions specifically the south to shine.
With that ,southern hip hop tends to be more dance/club friendly.
Nobody is dancing to wu tang.
Those southern artists were eating off clubs.

just made a point I have NEVER heard before or even considered

for all their DOMINANCE at one point

HIT after HIT records a crazy diverse catalog and collaborations

Wu Tang I believe NEVER made a deliberate DANCE/CLUB record besides

am I right?

keone

International Member
but we had rival crews and gangs in NY and hell West Coast had REAL gangs

and the music STILL got made.

I cant blame 50 and Ja for that.

If I remember correctly even during the HEIGHT of the East Coast West Coast beef...

artists from different coasts STILL performed together to some degree, right?
yeah but that was the thing, work with all artist but artist from your home town.

shit ja rule, dmx and jay was suppose to from a group but because of jay and dmx egos it never happend. then when ja got hot they wanted to do it and ja said fuck yall now i am hot.

50, it took dre from the west coast and a white guy to sign him. nobody in NY wanted too. so when he became hot of course he would be like fuck yall.

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

am I right?

I don't believe so as a group but solo features probably.
Meth had some of them colabos.
Joints with Redman, Capelton,etc
Not really dance music but they could get that club airplay

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

am I right?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
yeah but that was the thing, work with all artist but artist from your home town.

shit ja rule, dmx and jay was suppose to from a group but because of jay and dmx egos it never happend. then when ja got hot they wanted to do it and ja said fuck yall now i am hot.

50, it took dre from the west coast and a white guy to sign him. nobody in NY wanted too. so when he became hot of course he would be like fuck yall.

Wait wait wait...
THAT was the story behind the murder Inc super gtoup???

That was never how I heard it.

The ego thing is obviously true, I heard ja was the smart one trying to keep it going but Jay NEVER really wanted to do it ever. And then X got way to big and those collective egos could never ever form.

And then beef came...

Btw a completely wasted opportunity still love Jay's verse off Holla remix

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
they the ones that were on it being important to be king of your region and shit. everyone else was like let's just make dope ass music.

I've been saying that shit forever!

NY rappers wanted to be the scarface of the game. Steadily beefing amongst each other while screaming "I run NY".

50 just solidified it all. Destroyed so many careers because he want to run the game. Ninjas were signing dead contracts with GUnit.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Downloads killed rap music period. Ny rappers were making full length albums With dope content when music was selling. Now no one is buying records anymore and cats from the south getting rich off one song, ringtone rap and shit.
Of Course they gonna follow suit. And the end of the day its about the $$

Puffy and def jam aint putting up million dollar budgets no more. Million dollar vidoes. They will NEVER recoup. Rap is just a hustle now from coast to coast.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
50 wasnt doing nothing NY artist already was doing he just did it more ruthless. Niggas just mad now they couldn't eat off his stardom with collabos. It should've been a more unified NY. I remember someone on here mentioned it took an out of town white boy from Detroit and a nigga from the Westcoast to put 50 on.

I blame is the radio stations because even tho 50 was beefing there were still a lot of NY artist putting out dope shit. Between 01 and on. But the South dominated the airways even in NY. It's why Nas said hip hop is dead, "If hip hop should die before I wake I go to every radio station and murder the DJ."

Cuz radio wasn't playing NY shit like that, they were playing what's popular.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
50 wasnt doing nothing NY artist already was doing he just did it more ruthless. Niggas just mad now they couldn't eat off his stardom with collabos. It should've been a more unified NY. I remember someone on here mentioned it took an out of town white boy from Detroit and a nigga from the Westcoast to put 50 on.

I blame is the radio stations because even tho 50 was beefing there were still a lot of NY artist putting out dope shit. Between 01 and on. But the South dominated the airways even in NY. It's why Nas said hip hop is dead, "If hip hop should die before I wake I go to every radio station and murder the DJ."

Cuz radio wasn't playing NY shit like that, they were playing what's popular.

Which lends credibility to what 50 is saying about Ebro being the program director and never breaking any artist from NY.. He only rode the wave of what was hot at the moment

Ill Paragraph

Lord of the Perfect Black
BGOL Investor
Peace,

The combination of the rise of hip hop in other regions and weak, unimaginative product coming out of NY is what did it.

keone

International Member
Wait wait wait...
THAT was the story behind the murder Inc super gtoup???

That was never how I heard it.

The ego thing is obviously true, I heard ja was the smart one trying to keep it going but Jay NEVER really wanted to do it ever. And then X got way to big and those collective egos could never ever form.

And then beef came...

Btw a completely wasted opportunity still love Jay's verse off Holla remix
dmx didnt like jay and jay didnt like x. ja was the young guy and up and coming. and was only there cause of irv. irv was basically the glue to everything. ja couldnt really say shit cause he was the least famous one. but then when he bcame big they wanted to try it again. and ja was like helll noo.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Which lends credibility to what 50 is saying about Ebro being the program director and never breaking any artist from NY.. He only rode the wave of what was hot at the moment

He did. The DJ is everything to hip hop in introducing people to new artist. Especially when you have your finger on the button of the nations ear. It's all about marketing.

Reactions: BDR

keone

International Member
ebro not even from there. and he gave a bullshit explanation. he basically is saying a artist has to make himself hot before the radio will play them. he just switch the whole game around. astro was calling hiom out

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
dmx didnt like jay and jay didnt like x. ja was the young guy and up and coming. and was only there cause of irv. irv was basically the glue to everything. ja couldnt really say shit cause he was the least famous one. but then when he bcame big they wanted to try it again. and ja was like helll noo.
Wow, I would have never thought that.

Especially with Jay ego...he doesn't seem the type to come back and expose himself like thst.

There was a vlad interview with Ja where he talked about how Jay told him he doesn't have yo EXPLAIN himself to Ha for any decision. And Ja said as he got older he really respected that.

I believe u but I just can't see ja and irv being the ones in the end to stop that potential huge huge check tour album merchandise back THEN???

WOW...I wonder if this is true what he thinks now?

Someone needs to tweet Ja on that.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
One thing I liked about the Bay Area was even though the music was regional at least the DJs would play the shit on the radio with everybody else's music. I'm sure they are like the rest of these stations now (haven't listened to radio there in years) but they would show solidarity with bay artist back then.

keone

International Member
Wow, I would have never thought that.

Especially with Jay ego...he doesn't seem the type to come back and expose himself like thst.

There was a vlad interview with Ja where he talked about how Jay told him he doesn't have yo EXPLAIN himself to Ha for any decision. And Ja said as he got older he really respected that.

I believe u but I just can't see ja and irv being the ones in the end to stop that potential huge huge check tour album merchandise back THEN???

WOW...I wonder if this is true what he thinks now?

Someone needs to tweet Ja on that.
ja did what they did to him. plus dont forget dmx and jay never liked each other. so there were more things that played for that not to happen. even if ja said yes it still wouldnt have worked out. remember years later when jay was president at def jam he and dmx began beefin again. it would be a jay z , r kelly shit over again

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
BGOL Investor
I agree with the points made so far:

1) NY has no comradery. They won't unite for shit. Even when a NY rapper makes some dope shit, it seems like they can't get their own city behind them.
2) NY radio doesn't support their own artists, all they play is what's hot in other regions, which leads to
3) NY artists trying to sound like rappers from other regions. The're not trying to make something hot while staying true to their sound.

The South and the West are eating right now because they make hot music while staying true to their sound. When I listen to some East Coast rappers, I don't want to hear niggas trying to sound like West and South niggas.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The beef was ja and x not j

J and z beef came from when j became president of def jam

Last edited:

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
An
One thing I liked about the Bay Area was even though the music was regional at least the DJs would play the shit on the radio with everybody else's music. I'm sure they are like the rest of these stations now (haven't listened to radio there in years) but they would show solidarity with bay artist back then.
d the south always been like that too anytime i would leave ny and go down 95 i would hear all these southern artist and songs i never heard of before.