Music News: Chance The Rapper Puts Heineken On Blast For Racist Ad

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Chance The Rapper Puts Heineken On Blast For Racist Ad

Mar, 26, 2018
Chance the Rapper is calling out Heineken over a questionable new ad.

On Sunday, the rapper took to Twitter to discuss how advertisers often believe they're being slick with racist ads. "I think some companies are purposely putting out noticeably racist ads so they can get more views," he wrote. "And that shit racist/bogus so I guess I shouldn’t help by posting about it. But I gotta just say tho. The 'sometimes lighter is better' Hienekin [sic] commercial is terribly racist omg."

The ad in question shows a bartender on a rooftop bar spotting a woman across the room and sliding a beer over to her. The beer passes a few dark-skinned Black people before the words "Sometimes, lighter is better" appear.

The rapper later added, "I'm not saying boycott them or go off I'm just noticing how often it happens and I think they baiting consumers and tweeters and freelancers and shit. Like I didn't wanna tweet about it so bad but its like how can u not."

Heineken isn't the first company to come under fire over a racist ad. In January, H&M faced backlash after an image of a Black child in a "Coolest Monkey In The Jungle" shirt went viral. H&M later issued an apology.

Heineken also caused an uproar in 2017 after their "Worlds Apart" ad tried to succeed where Kendal Jenner's Pepsi commercial failed.

Last edited:

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
hmn. Heineken got some explaining to do. The commercial really didn't even make sense, but the imagery presented is hard to ignore.

JimJones

Rising Star
Registered
Wow..just watched the commercial ..shit is foul. Where have they shown it? I have not seen it but I have not watched much sports either.

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
This is actually Cac talking points, anything you wanna say here?

Call it what you may and whatever you want. I know how Jesse and Al historically dealt with insults from corporations black people consume the products of and that is what they do. Are you saying they ignore stuff like this, because I never seen it happen. Fact people of all races consume heineken beers and that includes all races. Honestly I would not expect them to ignore this. Heineken fucked up and we have champions that will take them to task.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk...r-better-ad-following-online-backlash-n860166

Heineken removes 'Lighter is Better' ad following online racial backlash
Critics slammed the 30-second ad promoting the beer company’s ‘Lighter is Better’ campaign.
by Chandelis R. Duster / Mar.26.2018 / 4:39 PM ET
180326-heineken-beer-se-258p_2cf959806f0cdd597bb4b6cacd44ea40.focal-760x380.jpg

Heineken has removed an ad following a wave of online criticism slamming the commercial as "terribly racist."Ron Antonelli / Bloomberg via Getty Images file

Heineken has removed a television ad following a wave of online criticism slamming the commercial as "terribly racist."

In a 30-second ad promoting the beer company’s "Lighter is Better" campaign for its light beer, a bartender slides a bottle of beer past several customers to reach a woman in the distance.

As several people online noticed, during the commercial the beer passes by customers who are darker-skinned while the woman who receives the beer in the end is noticeably fairer-skinned.

Heineken has removed the ad from TV and online rotation and acknowledged that it “missed the mark.”

Heineken apologizes for new commercial following online backlash
00:52
“For decades, Heineken has developed diverse marketing that shows there’s more that unites us than divides us,” a spokesperson for Heineken said in an email to NBC News. “While we feel the ad is referencing our Heineken Light beer, we missed the mark, are taking the feedback to heart and will use this to influence future campaigns."

Related
After backlash over 'monkey hoodie' ad, H&M hires diversity leader
Chance the Rapper, one of the first celebrities to criticize the beer company, said in a tweet that “some companies are purposely putting out noticeably racist ads so they can get more views.” The Chicago rapper also called the ad “terribly racist.”

The link to the commercial remains online at iSpot.tv, which Heineken says it has no control over.

Two other ads for Heineken's "Lighter is Better" campaign are still live on the company's YouTube page. Heineken received positive feedback for its "Open Your World" series of ads last year.

The ads brought people of different backgrounds and viewpoints together to discuss their differences over a beer.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
https://indy100.com/article/heineke...issed-mark-twitter-marketing-campaign-8273791

Heineken admits it 'missed the mark' with 'terribly racist' advert
Posted about 20 hours ago by Narjas Zatat in ents

Heineken has admitted that it "missed the mark" on its latest advert, which has been labelled "terribly racist" by Chance the Rapper.

The Chicago musician took to Twitter and criticised the campaign for its tag line, which is “sometimes, lighter is better”.

The ad in question shows a bartender who sees a woman across a rooftop bar. He opens a Heineken beer and slides the beverage past a black woman and an older black man before landing near the hand of the woman he spotted. The narrator says "sometimes, lighter is better".

A spokesperson for Heineken told indy100 in an email:

For decades, Heineken has developed diverse marketing that shows there’s more that unites us than divides us.

While we feel the ad is referencing our Heineken Light beer—we missed the mark, are taking the feedback to heart and will use this to influence future campaigns.

Chance’s comment comes off the back of a type of discrimination darker-skinned men and women can face: Colourism links the idea of power and privilege to a particular skin tone – in this case, the idea that lighter skin is more acceptable and thus more desirable than darker skin.

This type of discrimination has existed in many parts of the world, from Apartheid South Africa, where lighter-skinned South Africans were given privileges over their darker-skinned counterparts, to India where skin-lightening creams are prevalent because lighter skin is perceived to be more attractive.

It also rears its ugly head in the music industry. Beyoncé’s dad recently came out to condemn the record industry for what he perceives as discrimination against dark-skinned musicians.

However, not everyone agrees with Chance’s statement, and argue Heineken is simply advertising what it is – a light beer.

This article has been updated to include Heineken's response.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
“missed the mark”...? nah they knew what they was doing and hit their target well...shitting on black folks to sell beer lol

https://indy100.com/article/heineke...issed-mark-twitter-marketing-campaign-8273791

Heineken admits it 'missed the mark' with 'terribly racist' advert
Posted about 20 hours ago by Narjas Zatat in ents

Heineken has admitted that it "missed the mark" on its latest advert, which has been labelled "terribly racist" by Chance the Rapper.

The Chicago musician took to Twitter and criticised the campaign for its tag line, which is “sometimes, lighter is better”.

The ad in question shows a bartender who sees a woman across a rooftop bar. He opens a Heineken beer and slides the beverage past a black woman and an older black man before landing near the hand of the woman he spotted. The narrator says "sometimes, lighter is better".

A spokesperson for Heineken told indy100 in an email:

For decades, Heineken has developed diverse marketing that shows there’s more that unites us than divides us.

While we feel the ad is referencing our Heineken Light beer—we missed the mark, are taking the feedback to heart and will use this to influence future campaigns.

Chance’s comment comes off the back of a type of discrimination darker-skinned men and women can face: Colourism links the idea of power and privilege to a particular skin tone – in this case, the idea that lighter skin is more acceptable and thus more desirable than darker skin.

This type of discrimination has existed in many parts of the world, from Apartheid South Africa, where lighter-skinned South Africans were given privileges over their darker-skinned counterparts, to India where skin-lightening creams are prevalent because lighter skin is perceived to be more attractive.

It also rears its ugly head in the music industry. Beyoncé’s dad recently came out to condemn the record industry for what he perceives as discrimination against dark-skinned musicians.

However, not everyone agrees with Chance’s statement, and argue Heineken is simply advertising what it is – a light beer.

This article has been updated to include Heineken's response.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
“missed the mark”...? nah they knew what they was doing and hit their target well...shitting on black folks to sell beer lol

apparently they had ANOTHER commercial but they pulling that down from everywhere...

Reactions: LSN

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Yeah they are baiting consumers but the consumers they are baiting are the racist kind.

The kind who support anything because it's in direct opposition to black people.

Once again black people are being used to promote products for these companies.

Black people sniff out racism, the bad publicity spreads, and racist notice and buy it to support the racist ad, Heineken profits.

These marketing techniques are on some super villain evil shit.

With such a disgusting potus in office it's no question where the peoples who voted for him minds are at.

They're bold about it.

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
Yeah they are baiting consumers but the consumers they are baiting are the racist kind.

The kind who support anything because it's in direct opposition to black people.

Once again black people are being used to promote products for these companies.

Black people sniff out racism, the bad publicity spreads, and racist notice and buy it to support the racist ad, Heineken profits.

These marketing techniques are on some super villain evil shit.

With such a disgusting potus in office it's no question where the peoples who voted for him minds are at.

They're bold about it.

What kills me is that they think the black community is not smart enough to see a subliminal attack towards us. I mean for crying out loud we been under them for over 400 years. If any beings on this non flat Earth:rolleyes: know who this debil is and all his tricknowledge is the black male and female they have wronged, oppressed, and deceived for centuries.

GuessWho21212

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm surprised people are just now catching onto this shit. It's been the new wave in advertisement for a while now. Companies are able to make their marketing campaigns go viral overnight by antagonizing black twitter and leveraging social media outrage. The Kardashian/Jenners perfected it with tone deaf ads like the ones for Pepsi and those T-Shirts they sold using Biggie & 2Pacs images superimposed with Kylie. In show business all publicity is good publicity, so even if people are bitching and complaining about a racist ad, their still talking about the product. And that's a win for Madison Avenue.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
What kills me is that they think the black community is not smart enough to see a subliminal attack towards us. I mean for crying out loud we been under them for over 400 years. If any beings on this non flat Earth:rolleyes: know who this debil is and all his tricknowledge is the black male and female they have wronged, oppressed, and deceived for centuries.

They know black people recognize subliminals, thats why they do it. But even this wasnt very subliminal. So if you paying halfway attention every black person can see the message from the least educated to the most. The more vocal and opinionated black voices triggered the more racist will be triggered into supporting.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor

they product test these shits around coons who “don’t see what the problem is”

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
I'm surprised people are just now catching onto this shit. It's been the new wave in advertisement for a while now. Companies are able to make their marketing campaigns go viral overnight by antagonizing black twitter and leveraging social media outrage. The Kardashian/Jenners perfected it with tone deaf ads like the ones for Pepsi and those T-Shirts they sold using Biggie & 2Pacs images superimposed with Kylie. In show business all publicity is good publicity, so even if people are bitching and complaining about a racist ad, their still talking about the product. And that's a win for Madison Avenue.

haa...can’t lie makes sense...shit is too blatant to be w/o purpose

Damn Right

Rising Star
Registered
Call it what you may and whatever you want. I know how Jesse and Al historically dealt with insults from corporations black people consume the products of and that is what they do. Are you saying they ignore stuff like this, because I never seen it happen. Fact people of all races consume heineken beers and that includes all races. Honestly I would not expect them to ignore this. Heineken fucked up and we have champions that will take them to task.

if it wasn't for the rev. al YO azz wouldn't even know who mike brown was let alone ferguson. rev. al AND jesse have decades in fighting for and bringing the causes of black folks to the forefront. they deserve nothing but respect and thanks.

Raymond

Rising Star
Registered
if it wasn't for the rev. al YO azz wouldn't even know who mike brown was let alone ferguson. rev. al AND jesse have decades in fighting for and bringing the causes of black folks to the forefront. they deserve nothing but respect and thanks.
Those type of coons are the worst.