National rent control

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Yeah...it shows.

If you think landlording is easy money you are likely misinformed and/or have no experience in the industry.

A lot of the other things you wrote are just your theories...real world experience would tell you otherwise.

It's late and I got a full day of work and travel tomorrow but hope to engage this topic further over the "weekend" (First rule of landlording: there are no days off).

@killagram
@tallblacknyc

Being a tenant gives me experience in the landlord industry. I've lived in a house where the landlord didn't have to do jackshit for a year but collect money ODB style. If you have multiple properties and you have them in a condition where they are breaking all the time and you choose to address everything as problems occur, I can see how it would take some time. But generally, "First rule of landlording: there are no days off" is verifiably bullshit.

Last edited:

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Rent Control is BS. The market (supply demand) directs housing prices, why change it for the rent? Rent Control only benefits people that are currently in a home and they don't plan on ever leaving. It forces landlords to raise rents as much as we can between tenants.
Supply and demand, if people don't have to move because of raising rents like a rat race, landlords can only raise so much between tenants. It also basically limits you to market value in that situation. And it allows for reasonable increases with inflation, so any landlord who has a problem with it needs to get off their lazy ass and go do some real work to actually earn some money.
Rent control is for existing tenants. Not for raising for vacancies. This basically forces a landlord to raise rents as much as he/she can get in between tenants.

You're repeating the same talking point without elaborating, adding any substance or at all addressing my response.

Your talking point is that rent control "forces a landlord to raise rents as much as he/she can get in between tenants" because "Rent control is for existing tenants."

But most tenants looking for a place to live are already tenants somewhere! Only a fraction are people moving out of their folks homes, fresh out of prison or in whatever circumstance would have them not paying rent.

So, as I said and you ignored: Supply and demand, if people don't have to move because of raising rents like a rat race, landlords can only raise so much between tenants.

You can say the landlord is "forced" to raise rent as much as possible to suggest that rent control hurts future tenants, but rent control also affects market value because the "existing tenants" who aren't moving because of rent increases are not competing for open properties as often. Therefore there is less of a demand and less leverage for landlords seeking to raise rents dramatically, period.

Last edited:

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
How would that be so? Gentrification is about the displacement of existing residents due to increased cost of living caused by influx of new tax base. Rent control allows existing residents the opportunity to maintain status by preventing significant housing increases.

This SOUNDS good, but the reality is that rent control actually raises rents in the area for everyone not currently renting. So while the existing residents' rents are capped, the surrounding rentals available raise in rent much faster than non "rent controlled" areas. Eventually renters move (more kids, work changes, cheaper housing elsewhere, neighborhood changes etc etc). When they do, the rent controlled areas have risen to non affordable levels.

Being a tenant gives me experience in the landlord industry. I've lived in a house where the landlord didn't have to do jackshit for a year but collect money ODB style. If you have multiple properties and you have them in a condition where they are breaking all the time and you choose to address everything as problems occur, I can see how it would take some time. But generally, "First rule of landlording: there are no days off" is verifiably bullshit.

You have a very narrow view of the rental business. I am both a tenant and a landlord. There is alot that you aren't considering and likely havent experienced. I am basing my position on the actual experience of being a landlord in a rent controlled area. I purchased an apartment building in a rapidly gentrifying area. When I had my first vacancy, the majority of applicants were white and not from the area. I priced my rent to make money, but still a little under market to attract SOME people from the neighborhood. I ended up choosing a brutha that had less income but I liked him. Because of a clearer understanding of rent control, I wont do this anymore. I will instead price the rental at the absolute highest it can demand with the understanding that I won't have much ability to raise it later.

While I understand that there are slumlords out there, I believe it is a separate issue than rent control. I also suspect that much of your experience has to do with you not knowing or utilizing all of the tenant advocacy resources available. It is really hard to be a slumlord with a tenant that really advocates for himself.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Yeah, you're one of those that can't admit when they are just talking out of thier ass. Good day to you sir, engaging with you is not how I choose to spend my time.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Yeah, you're one of those that can't admit when they are just talking out of thier ass. Good day to you sir, engaging with you is not how I choose to spend my time.

Dude, you don't have to be a professional landlord to know it is not a seven day a week job and that, in some instances, there is zero work required.

You can't back up your bullshit so I support your decision to no longer spout it.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
You have a very narrow view of the rental business. I am both a tenant and a landlord. There is alot that you aren't considering and likely havent experienced. I am basing my position on the actual experience of being a landlord in a rent controlled area. I purchased an apartment building in a rapidly gentrifying area. When I had my first vacancy, the majority of applicants were white and not from the area. I priced my rent to make money, but still a little under market to attract SOME people from the neighborhood. I ended up choosing a brutha that had less income but I liked him. Because of a clearer understanding of rent control, I wont do this anymore. I will instead price the rental at the absolute highest it can demand with the understanding that I won't have much ability to raise it later.

That's what most landlords do anyway. If your standard practice was as you represent it, that's the exception to the rule and we should not base the entire system on the mentality of a minority of less greedy landlords.

While I understand that there are slumlords out there, I believe it is a separate issue than rent control. I also suspect that much of your experience has to do with you not knowing or utilizing all of the tenant advocacy resources available. It is really hard to be a slumlord with a tenant that really advocates for himself.

When I referenced my experience "where the landlord didn't have to do jackshit for a year but collect money ODB style," I was not describing a slumlord. It was a good, fairly priced rental where everything was in good condition because it had been well-maintained, so there were absolutely no issues with the house for a year and all the landlord did was collect money. That wasn't meant as a slander against the landlord (ODB style was a joke because obviously if we didn't have the money we'd have to go), just a recent personal experience to refute @850credit's bullshit about being a landlord meaning no days off-- If you're a small-time landlord and doing it right (and luck obviously plays some role), it can be easy money for little to no effort.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
We don't have rent control in Ohio, but I agree that we should. Get these slumlords in check. They get over on those housing vouchers too.

Bernie wants to spend $70 billion to repair and expand public housing? Good luck with that. At least in Ohio, that's like pissing money away. They put up new shit and it's basically destroyed in a few years. Sometimes I wonder if these politicians ever walk around cities and see what's REALLY going on. Easy to spend money when it ain't yours. Then they come back and pillage for more. :smh:

I see he wants to stop landlords from being able to deny people on federal assistance programs(vouchers). Fucking clown ass. That's how these cacs been destroying the black middle class for decades. Black homeowners get their property values crushed when the government sponsors the hood to follow them. I can't think of one black middle-class area in Ohio that has survived that wickedness. :smh:

What percentage of the black population do you flat-out hate? It seems high.

What's your answer for people in the hood? Just "fuck those savages"?

[Cornel West voice] My dear brother Gene has more than 100 posts on this site mentioning projects.
I don't think many of them are about taking up knitting!
[/Cornel West voice]​

You emphasize the impact on black neighborhoods but is it fair to say that your beliefs and message align with Trump on public housing?

Last edited:

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
[Cornel West voice] My dear brother Gene has more than 100 posts on this site mentioning projects.
I don't think many of them are about taking up knitting!
[/Cornel West voice]​

You emphasize the impact on black neighborhoods but is it fair to say that your beliefs and message align with Trump on public housing?

Yeah, but probably not for the reason Trump opposes it. I've seen first hand what that shit does to black communities that aren't priced high enough. Unfortunately, I participated in the madness as a youth. I mention it so often because once you experience the shit, look back on it, you totally see through the bullshit narrative these batshit sociologists push when it comes to housing.

I wouldn't have been able to operate drug houses in my old community had it not been for the influx of low income housing. Cats like I was in the 90s will tear your neighborhood the fuck up. Period. It is what it is. Been there, done that. Not proud of the shit, but I learned more of how the world really works than the idealistic shit these woke fools try to push.

A lot of these coastal hippies don't know shit about the real world and the sociologists stuck on college campuses are equally as naive. :smh: This shit kills black wealth because it turns black middle class areas hood and kills property values. Cacs always the first to dip.

What I am for is keeping low income housing where it is at and not punishing people for succeeding. Meaning, not kicking them off social programs as soon as they get a little change together. Perhaps create escrow accounts that are immune from interfering with SNAP, Medical, and housing benefits for 36-48 months. That way people can pull themselves up and own. Mortgages can be cheaper than rent.

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We don't have rent control in Ohio, but I agree that we should. Get these slumlords in check. They get over on those housing vouchers too.

Bernie wants to spend $70 billion to repair and expand public housing? Good luck with that. At least in Ohio, that's like pissing money away. They put up new shit and it's basically destroyed in a few years. Sometimes I wonder if these politicians ever walk around cities and see what's REALLY going on. Easy to spend money when it ain't yours. Then they come back and pillage for more. :smh:

I see he wants to stop landlords from being able to deny people on federal assistance programs(vouchers). Fucking clown ass. That's how these cacs been destroying the black middle class for decades. Black homeowners get their property values crushed when the government sponsors the hood to follow them. I can't think of one black middle-class area in Ohio that has survived that wickedness. :smh:

Just an observation. If the legislation stops landlords from denying people with vouchers, doesn’t that de-concentrate poverty and allow vouchers to be spread out and not centralized in a black area (essentially a partial remedy to your issue about the black middle class)?

There are many theories for how to fix public housing. However, you do realize some of these public housing communities are 70 years old. Something has to be done while preserving a basic safety net for housing.

Sure folks tear up housing. You try to give them the tools for how to maintain the new units and then do wellness checks. If they fuck it up, there are several other people who need housing who can move in

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, but probably not for the reason Trump opposes it. I've seen first hand what that shit does to black communities that aren't priced high enough. Unfortunately, I participated in the madness as a youth. I mention it so often because once you experience the shit, look back on it, you totally see through the bullshit narrative these batshit sociologists push when it comes to housing.

I wouldn't have been able to operate drug houses in my old community had it not been for the influx of low income housing. Cats like I was in the 90s will tear your neighborhood the fuck up. Period. It is what it is. Been there, done that. Not proud of the shit, but I learned more of how the world really works than the idealistic shit these woke fools try to push.

A lot of these coastal hippies don't know shit about the real world and the sociologists stuck on college campuses are equally as naive. :smh: This shit kills black wealth because it turns black middle class areas hood and kills property values. Cacs always the first to dip.

What I am for is keeping low income housing where it is at and not punishing people for succeeding. Meaning, not kicking them off social programs as soon as they get a little change together. Perhaps create escrow accounts that are immune from interfering with SNAP, Medical, and housing benefits for 36-48 months. That way people can pull themselves up and own. Mortgages can be cheaper than rent.

Bruh - public housing is often choked off from vital community resources (eg, adequate public transportation, employment, parks,grocery stores and healthy food). This was based on racist public policy with HUD back in the early to mid 20th century. Look at most of the public housing and where it’s located in communities. It’s often section off by highways or major thoroughfares (urban renewal).

Your plan just exacerbates the problem by keeping them where they are. Kinda hard to pull yourself up without access to resources.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Bruh - public housing is often choked off from vital community resources (eg, adequate public transportation, employment, parks,grocery stores and healthy food). This was based on racist public policy with HUD back in the early to mid 20th century. Look at most of the public housing and where it’s located in communities. It’s often section off by highways or major thoroughfares (urban renewal).

Your plan just exacerbates the problem by keeping them where they are. Kinda hard to pull yourself up without access to resources.
And we are talking about suburbs. It's fact that bringing low-income housing to suburbs fuck up the suburbs. Black middle class usually left fucked because it's harder to get out there in the first place. Whites just bounce. A black family might have spent their last getting to the burbs. They then left with a house that ain't worth shit. Kids risking their well-being just to come back to try to sell the bitch. :smh:

And all the suburbs up in NE Ohio that got shitted on had plenty of resources. Folks just fucked them up. Good schools where the teachers left after being assaulted. Stores that didn't have any robberies ever going to one per month. Places with no murders in years getting many murders per year. Seen it all man. Sociologists can cop all the bullshit pleas they want.

And what I'm talking about ain't exacerbating the fucking problem because it doesn't make people perpetual victims. If a family can live in the hood and stack up 10-20k without being kicked off the programs, they will be able to bounce out soon enough. The way the system is currently designed is to keep people dependent no matter WHERE you locate them.

For example, if someone is receiving food assistance at like 400 a month and they barely qualify for it. They can lose that 400 over a little raise or getting a better vehicle. Get married. Kicked off. The game is rigged to keep poor people on the hamster wheel. :smh: People basically have incentive to work off the books and if they save got to keep the money under the fucking mattress. And with that 400, we talking 4800 a year in those benefits alone. Some people get more including other benefits. That's life changing cash(not to BGOL, but in the real world it is).

Public housing up here in Cleveland is located right fuck next to downtown. Resources out the ass, but the same bullshit for decades. They tried busting up projects and moving folks to suburbs and ruined the suburbs. Ask yourself why these political clowns keep on doing shit that don't work.

There are vids from the fucking 70s talking about what we discussing now and all the failure they predicted came to pass.

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
And we are talking about suburbs. It's fact that bringing low-income housing to suburbs fuck up the suburbs. Black middle class usually left fucked because it's harder to get out there in the first place. Whites just bounce. A black family might have spent their last getting to the burbs. They then left with a house that ain't worth shit. Kids risking their well-being just to come back to try to sell the bitch. :smh:

And all the suburbs up in NE Ohio that got shitted on had plenty of resources. Folks just fucked them up. Good schools where the teachers left after being assaulted. Stores that didn't have any robberies ever going to one per month. Places with no murders in years getting many murders per year. Seen it all man. Sociologists can cop all the bullshit pleas they want.

Great post.

There's a real conversation that needs to be had about how much of our collective wealth for the past 50-60 years was lost this way.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Great post.

There's a real conversation that needs to be had about how much of our collective wealth for the past 50-60 years was lost this way.
That conversation would undermine the political AND academic narrative. On the real side, people make careers pushing this bullshit and just pass the baton. :smh:

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
I am not liking how these politicians keep pointing out how much housing effects “black and Latinos” in order to get support for Rent Control. If really concerned with us, then they need to be talking about Reparations. That is one thing that is overdue that directly addresses the economic imbalances facing us. If that isn’t in the convo, then they are full of shit.

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

And what I'm talking about ain't exacerbating the fucking problem because it doesn't make people perpetual victims. If a family can live in the hood and stack up 10-20k without being kicked off the programs, they will be able to bounce out soon enough. The way the system is currently designed is to keep people dependent no matter WHERE you locate them.

For example, if someone is receiving food assistance at like 400 a month and they barely qualify for it. They can lose that 400 over a little raise or getting a better vehicle. Get married. Kicked off. The game is rigged to keep poor people on the hamster wheel. :smh: People basically have incentive to work off the books and if they save got to keep the money under the fucking mattress. And with that 400, we talking 4800 a year in those benefits alone. Some people get more including other benefits. That's life changing cash(not to BGOL, but in the real world it is).

Public housing up here in Cleveland is located right fuck next to downtown. Resources out the ass, but the same bullshit for decades. They tried busting up projects and moving folks to suburbs and ruined the suburbs. Ask yourself why these political clowns keep on doing shit that don't work.

There are vids from the fucking 70s talking about what we discussing now and all the failure they predicted came to pass.

Bruh. I actually agree somewhat with what you are saying about the system de-incentivizing working (for fear of losing benefits - it’s called the cliff effect).
However, you are mixing public housing with the majority of low income housing (funding through Low Income Housing Tax Credits). LIHTC has reduced rent but is usually workforce housing. They require you to report your income yearly. The real problem is concentrating poverty in one area vs spreading units and housing out. That’s why there is a need for Affirmative Fair Housing at different income levels.

Relocating public housing to the suburbs does not happen or should not happen now. You have some good points but basing old policy to justify concentrating poverty in one place. You are literally advocating for discrimination on the basis of color. Low income housing will be built in those areas. There’s a whole program to incentivize it. It’s simply saying if you build low income housing, you can’t discriminate on the basis of race.

Last edited:

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Bruh. I actually agree somewhat with what you are saying about the system de-incentivizing working (for fear of losing benefits - it’s called the cliff effect).
However, you are mixing public housing with the majority of low income housing (funding through Low Income Housing Tax Credits). LIHTC has reduced rent but is usually workforce housing. They require you to report your income yearly. The real problem is concentrating poverty in one area vs spreading units and housing out. That’s why there is a need for Affirmative Fair Housing at different income levels.

Relocating public housing to the suburbs does not happen or should not happen now. You have some good points but basing old policy to justify concentrating poverty in one place. You are literally advocating for discrimination on the basis of color. Low income housing will be built in those areas. There’s a whole program to incentivize it. It’s simply saying if you build low income housing, you can’t discriminate on the basis of race.
I'm not advocating discrimination on basis of color. I am for discrimination on basis of income. Two completely different things. I'm only interested in this from the black community perspective. Take Ohio for example. There isn't any real place for black people to live in a thriving black community? Why? Affordable housing destroyed it all. The inner-ring suburbs could have survived without that shit. And black wealth got absolutely crushed. :smh:

Also, you're wrong about relocating public housing. They have done that before in numerous cities across the country. Knocked down public housing and gave residents vouchers. Shit lead to crime spreading to the new areas.

Again, what people need are programs that allow them to advance. Simply moving people to thriving areas doesn't help. It's been proven. It's like bankers fund this shit so they can print money when people have to recycle this shit over and over and over again. Just nothing good comes from this shit but a trail of broken suburbs. I can list about 6-7 off the top of my head in NE Ohio alone. LE has even mapped the shit out before.

Concentrating poverty in one place does suck, but why should people bust their asses to get to the burbs only to see that shit wrecked? The only way to solve this is with my proposal, but the government doesn't seem to want to help people. It wants to make dependents. More money and control in it.

Even with the programs that need fine tuning, it baffles me how people can fuck shit up(outside of catastrophic illness) the way some of the other programs currently are in this country. Fucking pell grants. Community college. FHA loans. PIP for utilities.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
That conversation would undermine the political AND academic narrative. On the real side, people make careers pushing this bullshit and just pass the baton. :smh:

Trump had to renounce David Duke's endorsement because of what earning it said about him. Chappelle's Show ended when Dave's humor provoked the wrong kind of white laughter and made him question himself.

Similarly, if that guy ever co-signed me, I'd begin retracing my steps. Sometimes your allies say a lot.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Trump had to renounce David Duke's endorsement because of what earning it said about him. Chappelle's Show ended when Dave's humor provoked the wrong kind of white laughter and made him question himself.

Similarly, if that guy ever co-signed me, I'd begin retracing my steps. Sometimes your allies say a lot.
I don't play that game. Give a fuck who cosigns me on a single topic. Give a fuck who disagrees with me on a topic. People who play politics do though. Politics is about perception though.

This reminds me of that letter on cancel culture. Folks signed it and then took their name off just because of another person signing it that they didn't agree with. True bitch shit.

Ninja05

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm not advocating discrimination on basis of color. I am for discrimination on basis of income. Two completely different things. I'm only interested in this from the black community perspective. Take Ohio for example. There isn't any real place for black people to live in a thriving black community? Why? Affordable housing destroyed it all. The inner-ring suburbs could have survived without that shit. And black wealth got absolutely crushed. :smh:

Also, you're wrong about relocating public housing. They have done that before in numerous cities across the country. Knocked down public housing and gave residents vouchers. Shit lead to crime spreading to the new areas.

Again, what people need are programs that allow them to advance. Simply moving people to thriving areas doesn't help. It's been proven. It's like bankers fund this shit so they can print money when people have to recycle this shit over and over and over again. Just nothing good comes from this shit but a trail of broken suburbs. I can list about 6-7 off the top of my head in NE Ohio alone. LE has even mapped the shit out before.

Concentrating poverty in one place does suck, but why should people bust their asses to get to the burbs only to see that shit wrecked? The only way to solve this is with my proposal, but the government doesn't seem to want to help people. It wants to make dependents. More money and control in it.

Even with the programs that need fine tuning, it baffles me how people can fuck shit up(outside of catastrophic illness) the way some of the other programs currently are in this country. Fucking pell grants. Community college. FHA loans. PIP for utilities.

Bruh. The very nature of vouchers are to allow people more choice and options (whether suburbs or city). The Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan is based on non discrimination based on race. You can discriminate based on income.

And they need low income housing and workforce housing everywhere including the suburbs. Where are the service industry workers going to live?

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Bruh. The very nature of vouchers are to allow people more choice and options (whether suburbs or city). The Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan is based on non discrimination based on race. You can discriminate based on income.

And they need low income housing and workforce housing everywhere including the suburbs. Where are the service industry workers going to live?
Where are the service industry workers going to live? Same places they live now. They catch the bus, drive out, or get rides to their jobs. Shit has worked well that way for years. People in the suburbs ain't complaining. And guess what? People move to the suburbs all the time -- including black people.

You can't force diversity any more than you can make us sit together at the lunch table past middle school. Remember that shit? All us black kids sat together. White kids sat together. Not by law. By CHOICE.

Let me ask you a question: Have you ever seen a suburb go from nice to hood? It takes about 20 years give or take. Shit is brutal and starts with affordable housing and vouchers. From my experience, low-income renters start in the apartments and then move into homes that people can't sell fast enough and choose to rent while they GTFO before shit gets too bad. It ends up being a race to the bottom.

And there is a push to stop landlords from asking about Section 8. That by itself is fuckery. Man. The first buildings that started accepting section 8 in my old neighborhood got bad as fuck quick as fuck. :smh:

I ask again. What is wrong with the FHA program? It encourages homeownership. $100,000 can get black people in a pretty decent area in Ohio. That means only 3500 down. And suburbs are built for couples or single people who are higher earners. They ain't made for single folks working low-wage jobs while having multiple kids. BLACK OR WHITE.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
BUMP

I personally know 2 people who told me this is one of the main reason why they are voting for VP Harris. One person told me their rent increased by 60%
( no kidding)

Because this...

Is not rent control.

I support her housing policies but they fall short of rent control. What he described-- "taking on abusive corporate landlords"-- is fantastic but it's not rent control. And you'll never hear Kamala Harris say the words rent control because she doesn't have the guts to support it.