Netflix Series: Avatar: The Last Airbender (discussion thread)(drops 2/22) (Season 2 & 3 confirmed)

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Fam... Dropped this in the Dragon Prince Thread..
cq4itwainqooafa9tvlq.jpg

Avatar: The Last Airbender Is Being Reborn as a Live-Action Netflix Series

“We’re thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of
Avatar: The Last Airbender. We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast.

It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone’s great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building. Netflix is wholly dedicated to manifesting our vision for this retelling, and we’re incredibly grateful to be partnering with them.”

@playahaitian

Avatar: The Last Airbender Is Being Reborn as a Live-Action Netflix Series

Hot on the heels of Netflix’s The Dragon Prince, from Avatar: The Last Airbender head writer Aaron Ehasz, the studio has just stealthily announced that Avatar is coming back in an all-new, live-action series.

Along with the first piece of concept art from the upcoming reboot, Netflix announced that The Last Airbender’s co-creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko are both signed on to oversee the show, something they’ve been planning on for ages.

In a public statement, DiMartino and Konietzko expressed their excitement about the upcoming show and made a point of stating that this incarnation of the Aang’s story will star characters of color, unlike M. Night Shyamalan’s much-maligned 2010 The Last Airbender:

“We’re thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender. We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast.

It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone’s great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building. Netflix is wholly dedicated to manifesting our vision for this retelling, and we’re incredibly grateful to be partnering with them.”

It’s been a while since we last caught up with Aang and the Avatar crew, but from the sounds of it, it won’t be too long before we’re all “yip-yipping” our ways into another unforgettable adventure.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-is-being-reborn-as-a-netflix-1829139229

Simply Sickenin'

Valar Morghulis ....
BGOL Investor
This is cool, but I'd much rather see an anthology type show simple call Avatars. Where we would get to see major story arcs from various Avatars, not just Aang.
Imagine seeing 4 to 6 episode story arcs covering each avatars biggest battles.
They could even tie the stories together by having something like the red lotus klan being the force behind everything over the course of hundreds of years and various avatars.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Well fuck

‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Creators Walk Away From Netflix’s Live-Action Adaptation

Not ideal news out of Netflix today, as Avatar: The Last Airbender’s co-creators have walked away from the service’s live-action adaptation of their series, after working on it for two years.

In an open letter, Michael Dante DiMartino says that he and Bryan Konietzko have left the project, and two things appear to be true: 1) there seems to have been some sort of problem between them and Netflix over the direction of the series and 2) their departure has not necessarily killed the project at Netflix (even if it should). Here’s DiMartino:

“I also sought wisdom from Stoic philosophers who were big on differentiating between what is within our control and what isn’t. I realized I couldn’t control the creative direction of the series, but I could control how I responded. So, I chose to leave the project. It was the hardest professional decision I’ve ever had to make, and certainly not one that I took lightly, but it was necessary for my happiness and creative integrity.

And who knows? Netflix’s live-action adaptation of Avatar has the potential to be good. It might turn out to be a show many of you end up enjoying. But what I can be certain about is that whatever version ends up on-screen, it will not be what Bryan and I had envisioned or intended to make.”

That sounds…not good. You hired the co-creators of the original series, made them showrunners and then they felt they “couldn’t control the creative direction of the series”? That seems extremely bad.

Also extremely bad? The idea of continuing on with a live action Avatar series without these two. The only thing that reassured fans that this might be an okay idea, everyone still scarred from the M. Night Shyamalan movie adaptation, was the fact that its original creators were on board. Without them, this project should not exist at all, and Netflix should figure out other ways to work with these two to bring more Avatar to the screen. And potentially, maybe that’s what happens, as there is a hopeful note about that in here.

“I also want to be clear that this doesn’t mean the end of my involvement in the Avatar universe. These stories and characters are important to me and the renewed interest and excitement in Avatar and Korra has been inspiring to see.”

This makes it sound like we could see more from the Avatar universe, given how popular the original has been on Netflix, and how popular The Legend of Korra is about to be when it arrives there. It seems possible that even if the live-action series falls through, perhaps Netflix could sway them to do another animated series. And for the love of god, give them full creative control of that.

I don’t think it was a guarantee that DiMartino and Konietzko would have definitely produced a great live-action series, as it is unspeakable hard to top the nearly perfect source material, but yes, without them, there’s no reason for this project to see the light of day with anyone else at the helm. Too risky, especially after the very public breakup indicating troubled development.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Well fuck

‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Creators Walk Away From Netflix’s Live-Action Adaptation

Not ideal news out of Netflix today, as Avatar: The Last Airbender’s co-creators have walked away from the service’s live-action adaptation of their series, after working on it for two years.

In an open letter, Michael Dante DiMartino says that he and Bryan Konietzko have left the project, and two things appear to be true: 1) there seems to have been some sort of problem between them and Netflix over the direction of the series and 2) their departure has not necessarily killed the project at Netflix (even if it should). Here’s DiMartino:

“I also sought wisdom from Stoic philosophers who were big on differentiating between what is within our control and what isn’t. I realized I couldn’t control the creative direction of the series, but I could control how I responded. So, I chose to leave the project. It was the hardest professional decision I’ve ever had to make, and certainly not one that I took lightly, but it was necessary for my happiness and creative integrity.

And who knows? Netflix’s live-action adaptation of Avatar has the potential to be good. It might turn out to be a show many of you end up enjoying. But what I can be certain about is that whatever version ends up on-screen, it will not be what Bryan and I had envisioned or intended to make.”

That sounds…not good. You hired the co-creators of the original series, made them showrunners and then they felt they “couldn’t control the creative direction of the series”? That seems extremely bad.

Also extremely bad? The idea of continuing on with a live action Avatar series without these two. The only thing that reassured fans that this might be an okay idea, everyone still scarred from the M. Night Shyamalan movie adaptation, was the fact that its original creators were on board. Without them, this project should not exist at all, and Netflix should figure out other ways to work with these two to bring more Avatar to the screen. And potentially, maybe that’s what happens, as there is a hopeful note about that in here.

“I also want to be clear that this doesn’t mean the end of my involvement in the Avatar universe. These stories and characters are important to me and the renewed interest and excitement in Avatar and Korra has been inspiring to see.”

This makes it sound like we could see more from the Avatar universe, given how popular the original has been on Netflix, and how popular The Legend of Korra is about to be when it arrives there. It seems possible that even if the live-action series falls through, perhaps Netflix could sway them to do another animated series. And for the love of god, give them full creative control of that.

I don’t think it was a guarantee that DiMartino and Konietzko would have definitely produced a great live-action series, as it is unspeakable hard to top the nearly perfect source material, but yes, without them, there’s no reason for this project to see the light of day with anyone else at the helm. Too risky, especially after the very public breakup indicating troubled development.

Well just cancel this now.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Avatar: The Last Airbender Live-Action Celebrity-Bends New Cast Members
By Jason P. Frank@jasonspank

9ee3e2a17dfc59575c262526605406565a-atla-discussion.rsquare.w330.jpg

George Takei and Amber Midthunder. Photo-Illustration: Vulture; Photos by Bruce Glikas/Getty Images and Jesse Grant/Getty Images for Disney
Netflix’s upcoming live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender has some reasonable trepidation around it. For one, the last time someone tried to do this, it ended with a Wikipedia page that hyperlinks to a page titled “List of films considered the worst.” Also, there’s the fact that the original creators left the project and said, “Whatever version ends up onscreen, it will not be what Bryan and I had envisioned or intended to make.” So, like, that part isn’t hugely promising. But the casting sounds great! Netflix already reported that Daniel Dae Kim would be burning hot in terms of both sex appeal and literal fire as Fire Lord Ozai and that Ken Leung would be one angry MFer as General Zhao, and the cast would also include Gordon Cormier (Aang), Kiawentiio (Katara), Ian Ousley (Sokka), Dallas Liu (Zuko), Elizabeth Yu (Azula), Paul Sun-Hyung Lee (Iroh), Maria Zhang (Suki), Tamlyn Tomita (Yukari), Yvonne Chapman (Avatar Kyoshi) and Casey Camp-Horinek (Gran Gran). The new casting most notably includes George Takei as the voice of the spirit Koh, Prey star Amber Midthunder as Princess Yue, Pitch Perfect’s Utkarsh Ambudkar as King Bumi, Community’s Danny Pudi as the Mechanist, Arden Cho as June, Momona Tamada as Ty Lee, and more, according to Tudum. Look, there may be some worries, but if anyone thinks we’re skipping George Takei as the scary Face-Stealer, they are sorely mistaken.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Damn two more hours

It better fucking slap

Netflix HAS TO understand this is a critical valuable property and one of the most important decisions the company has made.

Especially doing this without the involvement of the godfathers of all this.

messing this up?

I don't even want to think about it

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Im on episode 1 and its not bad… definitely better then the movie. At least it’s following the beats of the animated series.

But the dialogue and the acting are questionable.

My hope is that the show sticks the landing and gets a second season where these issues can be fixed

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Gawd damn it I’m sucked in..

I’m sucked in cause of the beats…

It’s got the music… the title cards… same beats from episodes. Acting is inconsistent… but it feels like Avatar. Even the kid playing Ang is growing on me.

shit makes me want to rewatch the OG show for like the 20th time

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
Show is good, critics are idiots and the fans want something they can never get, the feeling of watching Avatar as a cartoon all those years back when they where younger. This is about as good as it can get for a live action Netflix adaptation of a Nickelodeon cartoon.

I mean compared to M. Night this is a masterpiece lol

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Show is good, critics are idiots and the fans want something they can never get, the feeling of watching Avatar as a cartoon all those years back when they where younger. This is about as good as it can get for a live action Netflix adaptation of a Nickelodeon cartoon.

I mean compared to M. Night this is a masterpiece lol
I’m glad that the fam are thinking the same thing

I don’t get the critics at all cause this shit is good

It’s just like I was watching season 1 of the cartoon. I’m on episode 5 and I’m loving this shit.