Netflix Series: Black Summer: Season 2 Discussion (Netflix's Walking Dead) (drops 6/17/21)

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Just finished Season 2 and this mofo was on point from start to finish.

For those who have not seen it, not going to give any spoilers, but the tip I will give you is the first four episodes play out Backward/Forward. They will play scenes showing someone doing something and it will abruptly end. THey will do this thru-out those episodes and later give the backstory leading to that scene.

And all the scenes connect eventually toward the end of episode 4 and 5, so be patient.

Also, pay attention to the airplane, it is part of what is going on. You will find out about it at the season finale which will lead us into Season 3.

The series takes place 4 months after the end of season 1 and it is in the middle of winter. Desperation has kicked in with everybody and The Human Animal has exposed itself with all the characters. Lots of dumb decisions you will see, but you have to remember the situation they are in and you can't judge the show with you sitting on your couch in a comfortable home, with a bowl of snacks and cold beer wrapped in your favorite blanket.

This season is where The Walking Dead should have went after Season 3 instead of where they went dealing with mofos emotions and feelings with each other.

Looking forward to Season 3, no word if its been approved yet.

Empire

Rising Star
Registered
I enjoyed the show for the most part BUT people still doing stupid shit just because... The mother and daughter were at the ski lodge. The daughter knew the zombies were in the basement but didn't tell anyone! Not even her mom! WHY?

The first fifteen minutes of season two was GREAT tho!

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For those who have not seen it, not going to give any spoilers, but the tip I will give you is the first four episodes play out Backward/Forward. They will play scenes showing someone doing something and it will abruptly end. THey will do this thru-out those episodes and later give the backstory leading to that scene.
This whole editing scheme was annoying to me. They did it to a very limited extent in season 1 but they overused it here. It never added to the story just made the viewer have to spend extra time trying to figure out the sequence of events

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I enjoyed the show for the most part BUT people still doing stupid shit just because... The mother and daughter were at the ski lodge. The daughter knew the zombies were in the basement but didn't tell anyone! Not even her mom! WHY?

Also why has no one figured out just taking out zombies with a sharp stick or object to the head. They still trying to bludgeon them to death in close combat

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

I gave them a standing ovation after that first 15 minutes

Now THAT is how you start a season.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

And all the scenes connect eventually toward the end of episode 4 and 5, so be patient.

Also, pay attention to the airplane, it is part of what is going on. You will find out about it at the season finale which will lead us into Season 3.

The series takes place 4 months after the end of season 1 and it is in the middle of winter. Desperation has kicked in with everybody and The Human Animal has exposed itself with all the characters. Lots of dumb decisions you will see, but you have to remember the situation they are in and you can't judge the show with you sitting on your couch in a comfortable home, with a bowl of snacks and cold beer wrapped in your favorite blanket.

This season is where The Walking Dead should have went after Season 3 instead of where they went dealing with mofos emotions and feelings with each other.

Appreciate this.

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Season one was better
This season was all over
I agree 100%. Season one drew us in by giving us a set of characters to care about and watch them figure out the rules as they went while wild random shit happened to them

Season 2 was like "lets put random groups of people together with a vague goal and have them enter into conflict with each other randomly". And the Flash forward story telling technique was OVERUSED.

Z-nation influence was definitely more present in season 2.

Empire

Rising Star
Registered
Season 2 was like "lets put random groups of people together with a vague goal and have them enter into conflict with each other randomly". And the Flash forward story telling technique was OVERUSED.

Right! I was waiting to find out why the different factions were fighting! Why did the dude with the red jacket hold Sun hostage instead of killing her!

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Season 2 takes place 4 months after season 1.

The season 2 started in Winter when human needs are at its utmost for food, shelter and safety from the elements. Human desperation is in full gear.

The airplane and the 2 drops it did was the center point of the story. Everybody in season 2 saw, or became aware of the airplane and the drops. That was shown thru-out the first 4 episodes

Some people knew more about the airplane and from where it came. Sun was one of them, so she was held prisoner as a “Golden Ticket” to access the plane.

After the air drops were claimed, the rush was on to get to the airport to be airlifted out of the area.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
I agree 100%. Season one drew us in by giving us a set of characters to care about and watch them figure out the rules as they went while wild random shit happened to them

Z-nation influence was definitely more present in season 2.

Do you think the black dude with the sniper rifle shot spears? Then stalked him? Their good interaction was the best part of the series to me.

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Some people knew more about the airplane and from where it came. Sun was one of them, so she was held prisoner as a “Golden Ticket” to access the plane.
If that was the case it was not shown or explained well at all. Why would Sun know? How would other people know Sun knew about the plane if they couldn't communicate with her in english.

Other questions: (lw spoiler-ish)
I can understand going after the drops because people could reasonably expect something useful to be in them. But why would they expect a landing strip to be close enough by to walk to.

It wasn't 100% clear but that plane at the end didn't look like the type of plane to drop that big ass supply box off.
So were there two planes? One that was dropping supplies and another that just landing and taking off again

I think it had to be two different planes because why would someone fly from close by to drop off supplies if people could just make it to the base and get them.

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Right! I was waiting to find out why the different factions were fighting! Why did the dude with the red jacket hold Sun hostage instead of killing her!
There was no logical explanation for why they kept her. At the end she was clearly being used as a baggage carrier, but the majority of the time she was just an extra hassle to deal with in the middle of a running ground battle.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

I feel like if you need that explanation this is NOT the show for you.

It was a little overused

but it wan't CONFUSING at all.

and it has become a very common story telling technique.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
There was no logical explanation for why they kept her. At the end she was clearly being used as a baggage carrier, but the majority of the time she was just an extra hassle to deal with in the middle of a running ground battle.

I gotta agree with you

She barely spoke English how would they consider her valuable?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Why didn't the army dudes kill the Hispanic parasite guy in the bathroom of the house they just took over?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

^^^^

I think THIS is a VERY important and accurate observation

and I think the showrunners do this deliberately

because I notice the gut reaction FIRST reaction that the audience has to any conflict on this show is...

KILL THEM.

An absurd unrealistic oversimplification

Like it's a video game

I wrote something in the other thread about this...

What this show does WELL and the best zombie movies do too...

Is make the viewer completely immerse themselves in that world

And what we always fail to realize

Despite worldstar, America funniest home videos, tik tok, and trump is we are surrounded by dummies. Jokers on the left fools on the right.

And if a zombie apocalypse or a pandemic hit a whole lot of stupid life decisions would be made.

Like folk not believing zombies are real or that only head shots work, etc etc

This show is far far from perfect but it's really good at knowing what it is staying in lane and doing well

It has interesting how so many do NOT like the time jumps

I feel like it has become a very common storytelling device for years now...

I mean damn...since Roshamon

popularized I guess probably by Tarantino in Pulp Fiction and Later LOST

and yeah it can be used poorly and too much but I felt in this SPECIFIC show Black Summer used it well ( a LITTLE much and unnecessarily) for the most part

And its become it signature

I do like when shows try to be different.