New Movie Trailer: Elvis biopic with Tom Hanks directed by Baz Luhrmann

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
Registered
Thanks.

Thought I'd add something.

I recently found out that the FBI had been investigating Elvis from the moment he hopped on stage until 5 years after his death.

Ironically, Elvis considered J Edgar Hoover a hero.
A lot of people probably had an admiration of J.Edgar Hoover at that period of time. Some things we have to look at from the perspective of people who lived at that time.
A guy grooming a girl at that time probably didn't look that bad at the time. I'm going to use Loretta Lynn and her husband she was a minor at the time. Sam Cooke and his song She was only 16.
As far as Elvis being racist maybe he was maybe he wasn't I don't know. They said he was friends with James Brown, Jackie Wilson, Redd Foxx was at his wedding but that's not saying anything.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I honestly hadn't considered this so I decided to do a Google search and read a few articles about the subject.

It seems that most of these artists had nothing against Elvis either as a person or a musician. Instead, they hated the fact that he copied their music and made millions while most of them barely made a living. It's more of an indictment against the system than the man himself.

Okay, if he wanted to he could have helped ALL OF THEM! He could have taken them on tour, opened up his fans to their music, anything! The Beetles, Rolling Stones, yes they were culture vultures, but they looked up to the artists that they stole from, took them on tour, exposed their fans to their music. Elvis took advantage of the system and wore the crown that was given to him.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Okay, if he wanted to he could have helped ALL OF THEM! He could have taken them on tour, opened up his fans to their music, anything! The Beetles, Rolling Stones, yes they were culture vultures, but they looked up to the artists that they stole from, took them on tour, exposed their fans to their music. Elvis took advantage of the system and wore the crown that was given to him.

Elvis had near constant death threats just for dressing and sounding black. If he had done shows with Chuck Berry, Rosetta Thorpe, or any of his other influences there's a good chance they wouldn't have made it back to the tour bus alive.

The Beatles and The Rolling Stones didn't have to worry as much. Not only did they come out 10 years later, but they also started off in a country where racial violence against black people was a lot less common.

That said, Elvis should have at least spoke out in favor of the Civil Rights Movement. It would have changed the country for the better.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
A lot of people probably had an admiration of J.Edgar Hoover at that period of time. Some things we have to look at from the perspective of people who lived at that time.
A guy grooming a girl at that time probably didn't look that bad at the time. I'm going to use Loretta Lynn and her husband she was a minor at the time. Sam Cooke and his song She was only 16.
As far as Elvis being racist maybe he was maybe he wasn't I don't know. They said he was friends with James Brown, Jackie Wilson, Redd Foxx was at his wedding but that's not saying anything.

This was a time where The adventures of the G-Men were sensationalized in movies, radio serials and comic books. J Edgar Hoover went through great pains to make sure that the stories and the people presenting them always put the FBI in the best possible light. This is also before cointelpro and details of Hoover's private life became public.

It's completely understandable that Elvis would also be a fan so I'm not going to condemn him on that.

With racism I would compare Elvis to a man who stands outside of a burning house. He didn't light the match, but he didn't call the fire department either. In other words, it's easy to find people, both white and black, who will swear up and down the Elvis wasn't a racist, but it's hard to find people who will say that he brought about racial justice.

As for the she was only 16 phenomenon, this was a time when people never realized how incredibly kinky Elvis's song "Teddy Bear" was.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Austin Butler is finally 'getting rid' of his Elvis accent: 'I have probably damaged by vocal cords'

The Oscar nominee said he's slowly losing his Elvis Presley voice after starring in the hit Baz Luhrmann biopic alongside Tom Hanks.
By Joey NolfiFebruary 03, 2023 at 09:27 AM EST

Austin Butler is (finally) losing the Elvis accent that put him at the center of the Oscar race and a few jokes on social media.
"I am getting rid of the accent, but I have probably damaged my vocal cords with all that singing," the 31-year-old upcoming star of Dune: Part Two said on Friday's episode of BBC One's Graham Norton Show. "One song took 40 takes."
Butler drew critical praise for his portrayal of famed musician Elvis Presley in the Baz Luhrmann-directed biopic — which also received a Best Picture nomination from The Academy in January — though many noted the actor's retention of the singer's deep vocal tone, particularly during his gig hosting Saturday Night Live in December.

Austin Butler says he's finally losing his 'Elvis' accent.

| CREDIT: WARNER BROS. PICTURES; MICHAEL OCHS ARCHIVES/GETTY IMAGES
Butler's Elvis costar, Tom Hanks, also performed with a notable accent during production as he took on the role of Presley's Dutch manager, Colonel Tom Parker.
"I had no idea what it was going to be like meeting someone you have admired for so long. You hope they would be warm to you, but you never really know. He is such a master of his craft, and I was intimidated, but the first time I met him he gave me the biggest bear hug and joked about how nervous he was," Butler told Norton of meeting Hanks before they bonded over playing men with distinct voices. "When I said I was terrified, he said 'And, nobody knows what Colonel Parker sounds like, but everyone knows what Elvis sounds like!'"

The first-time Oscar nominee previously told EW how he practiced tackling Presley's voice.
"I'd hear him say a certain word and I would clip just that bit out so I knew how he said that word," he said of his process. "I created my own archive of how he said every word and every diphthong, and the way that he used musicality in his voice."
Elvis is now streaming on HBO Max. The Graham Norton Show airs Friday night on BBC One in the United Kingdom.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Angela Bassett weighs in on Austin Butler's struggle to lose Elvis accent: 'You have to bid it farewell'

The actress, who played Tina Turner in the 1993 biopic What's Love Got to Do With It, says she feels Butler's pain.
By Emlyn TravisFebruary 15, 2023 at 02:00 PM EST

ADVERTISEMENT
FBTweetMore

00:36
01:30

SKIP ADS
Elvis (2022 movie)
TYPE
  • Movie
GENRE
Angela Bassett can totally empathize with Austin Butler's struggle to drop his Elvis Presley accent after starring as the King of Rock & Roll in Baz Lurhmann's 2022 biopic, Elvis. After all, she had a similar experience.
The actress, who recently received a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for her performance as Queen Ramonda in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, told The New Yorker that she understood Butler's current predicament because she initially found it difficult to detach herself from Tina Turner after playing the "Proud Mary" singer in the Oscar-nominated 1993 biopic What's Love Got to Do With It.

"Tina's laugh and the way she spoke took over. It took over, not as long as Elvis — maybe about four months after," she said. "You so lived and breathed and began to see life through their perspective. You had to. They're a part of you. I think that's what's going on with him."
Angela Bassett; Austin Butler

| CREDIT: MONICA SCHIPPER/WIREIMAGE; JC OLIVERA/GETTY IMAGES
But Bassett noted it was important that Butler step out of Presley's shadow going forward.
"You have to bid it farewell, and it's hard to let it go, because you've enjoyed it, you survived it, you delivered, and you're proud of that," she continued. "You got an opportunity and you hit it out of left field. So it takes a moment to get back to regular you. But you're different after this moment. Now you're Austin, who did that great performance."

Butler, who is originally from Anaheim, Calif., has been all shook up with a Southern twang since he starred as Presley in Elvis. Although the film was released last June, the actor — who dedicated three years of his life to becoming the "Jailhouse Rock" singer — has retained Presley's deep drawl throughout the following months, including when he hosted Saturday Night Live in December and during his Best Actor acceptance speech at the Golden Globes in January.

However, while visiting the The Graham Norton Show this month, Butler explained that he's trying to return to his normal tone. "I am getting rid of the accent, but I have probably damaged my vocal cords with all that singing," he said. "One song took 40 takes."
Speaking with EW in June, Butler detailed his intense experience rehearsing with dialect coaches until he was able to perfectly conjure up Presley's voice for the film.
"I would take an interview or a speech that he had on stage where he is talking to the audience, and I would practice it as though I was trying to get it to be exact," he said. "That way, I couldn't hear a difference between my voice and his. Then I would have my dialect coach there going, 'This is off a little bit,' and I'd practice. I'd just keep honing it in until I could get as specific as possible."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Priscilla Presley addresses Elvis age gap at Priscilla premiere: 'He respected the fact that I was only 14'​

Presley defended the age gap at the Venice Film Festival premiere of Sofia Coppola's Priscilla: "I was a little bit older in life than in numbers and that was the attraction."
By Jessica WangSeptember 04, 2023 at 01:57 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
FBTweetMore

0 seconds of 1 minute, 43 secondsVolume 0%

Priscilla Presley got choked up at the Venice Film Festival premiere of Sofia Coppola's Priscilla, the upcoming drama centered on her romance with the late Elvis Presley.
Speaking at a press conference following the premiere, she addressed she and Elvis' controversial age gap, sharing that the late singer was "respectful" of it. The two met in Germany in 1959 when Priscilla was 14 and Elvis was 24, while the singer was serving in the US Army. (Her stepfather was stationed in the Air Force there.)
"It was very difficult for my parents to understand that Elvis would be so interested in me and I really do think because I was more of a listener," Presley said.
"Elvis would pour his heart out to me, his fears, his hopes, the loss of his mother which he never ever got over, and I was the person who really really sat there to listen and to comfort him," she said. "I was a little bit older in life than in numbers and that was the attraction. And you know, people think, Oh, it was sex... Not at all. I never had sex with him. He was very kind, very soft, very loving. But he also respected the fact that I was only 14 years old. We were more in mind and thought. And that was our relationship."

Elvis Presley sits cheek to cheek wit his bride, the former Priscilla Ann Beaulieu, following their wedding May 1, 1967.

Priscilla and Elvis Presley

| CREDIT: BETTMANN ARCHIVE/GETTY
Presley said it was "very difficult to sit and watch a film" about her life and love. "Sofia did an amazing job, she did her homework," she said. "And I really put everything out for her that I could."
The two were married from 1967 to 1973. At the press conference, Presley called him the love of her life, noting that it wasn't a loss of love that split them up. "It was the lifestyle that was so difficult for me, and I think any woman can relate to that," she said. "But it didn't mar our relationship, we still remained very close. And of course, we had our daughter, and I made sure that he saw her all the time. It was like we never left each other."

Based on Presley's 1985 memoir Elvis and Me, Coppola's film, in theaters Oct. 27, stars Cailee Spaeny and Jacob Elordi as the lovebirds. Both stars were in attendance at the festival alongside their director amid the ongoing Hollywood strikes after having received a waver from SAG-AFTRA. Spaeny called the title role "daunting, but I got very lucky to have some time with Priscilla," she said. "She was very generous with her time and very kind to me and supportive."

"The most impressive things to me is the scale of this love and the power of this love," Elordi added. "And even to this day even though he's not here, when you talk to Priscilla you can still feel the love."
Baz Luhrmann most recently helmed a biopic on the King of Rock and Roll's life, 2022's Elvis starring Austin Butler, which was nominated for eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

These Red Pill asshats keeps talking about how women were so traditional. No men just didn't have camera phones!!!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
These Red Pill asshats keeps talking about how women were so traditional. No men just didn't have camera phones!!!

We all didn't talk and gossip to strangers

And notice in the story the men were just as if not more emotional than the women.

The key is keeping your business out the street.