New Music Video: Katy Perry ft. The Migos - Bon Appétit (Is this OFFENSIVE??!!)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
While fans love her infectious tunes, Katy Perry has been the culprit of cultural appropriation on more than one occasion in recent years. But unlike many of her fellow White female entertainers, she decided to address the issue on her 72-hour live stream with civil rights activist and leader of the Black Lives Matter movement DeRay Mckesson. She admitted to unknowingly being a cultural appropriation offender and even asked her stylist to educate her on the "history" of Black hair.

On cornrows…

“I've made several mistakes. Even in the "This Is How We Do" video, with how I wore my hair [in cornrows] — having a hard conversation with one of my empowered angels, Cleo [Wade, poet and activist], about why I can't wear my hair that way or what is the history behind wearing the hair that way. And she told me about the power in Black women's hair and how beautiful it is and the struggle. And I listened, and I heard and I didn't know.”

On "compassionate" criticism vs. clapbacks…

“Sometimes it takes someone to say, out of compassion, out of love, 'Hey, this is where the origin is.' And not just a clapback. Because it's hard to hear those clapbacks sometimes. Your ego just wants to turn from them.”

On her “joke” about Barack Obama gone wrong…

During an Instagram Live Q&A session with fans, one of them told Katy, "I miss your old, black hair." Katy responded, "Oh, really? Do you miss Barack Obama as well? Oh, OK. Times change. Bye! See you guys later." Yikes!

“In my attempt to make a joke, I made a mistake and I had said it wrong. Something really triggered me. Someone was coming for my hair again and someone said I'm not pretty enough without my black hair and I snapped.”

When DeRay asked whether she could understand people's negative reactions, Katy responded, "Yes. I have lots of white privilege." And while she may never understand the struggles of other cultures, she also vowed to continue to educate herself.

THE INTERNET WAS SPLIT IN THEIR REACTIONS TO THE STAR’S INTERVIEW. CHECK OUT SOME OF THE MIXED REVIEWS BELOW.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/13/katy-...about-the-power-in-black-womens-hair-6705000/

kperrycornrows.png

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
Her peeps aint checking for her no more.

ENTERTAINMENT
Katy Perry’s New Album ‘Witness’ Fails To Top The iTunes Chart
BY CAMILLE HEIMBROD ON 06/14/17 AT 6:28 AM

dear-evan-hansen.jpg

“Dear Evan Hansen” cast album ranked first over Katy Perry’s latest album, “Witness.”Photo: Juniper Street Productions

Katy Perry’s latest album, “Witness,” did not make it to the number one spot on the iTunes chart.

According to Entertainment Weekly, the official soundtrack for “Dear Evan Hansen” is currently sitting at No. 1 and has beaten True Crime Garage’s “The Bricca Family Murders.” The Tony award-winning musical also landed on the number eight spot on the Billboard album chart in February, making it the highest debut for a cast album since “Camelot.”

“Dear Evan Hansen” also made headlines after Ben Platt’s gave an inspiring acceptance speech after his Tony Award win for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical. “To all young people watching at home, don’t waste any time trying to be like anybody else because the things that make you strange are the things that make you powerful,” he said.

The cast album contains songs such as “Anybody Have A Map?” “Waving Through A Window,” “For Forever,” “Sincerely, Me,” “Requiem,” “If I Could Tell Her,” “Disappear,” “You Will Be Found,” “To Break In A Glove,” “Only Us,” “Good For You,” “Words Fail,” “So Big / So Small” and “Finale.”

Meanwhile, Billboard reported that Perry’s album did not make it to the top, perhaps because it failed to deliver on its promise of being a “purposeful pop” album. Listeners expected “Witness” to be a politically charged album based on its description alone, but that is entirely not the case. “Bon Appetit” and “Chained to the Rhythm” did not have any political context at all.

But despite its lack of political context, Perry delivered on something she told the publication ahead of “Witness” release. During an interview, the “Swish Swish” singer said that her latest album is a “mental, sexual, negative and spiritual liberation.”

In other news, Perry also made headlines over the weekend when she said that she’s burying the hatchet in her longtime feud with Taylor Swift. Several years ago, Swift’s backup dancer left her tour to work with Perry. While speaking with the Huffington Post, she said, “I am ready to let it go. I forgive her and I’m sorry for anything I ever did, and I hope the same from her.”

p5ych3

Curry Is My God
BGOL Patreon Investor
Now we getting somewhere. I saw 72hr broadcast and there were no pics or vids of anything worthy?

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
White woman styling their like Black Women is nothing new nor is it a hanging offense IMHO. Maybe if more sisters see whites wearing their hair like they could wear it naturally then maybe they will stop spending money on hair products to look like white people.

JofromthaNO

Urban Renaissance Woman
BGOL Investor
It's "trendy" right now to cultural appropriate black culture - so, whether or not Katy Perry will, someone (cough Kardashians cough) will. She should speak out about the number of artists that do it and urge them to be more thoughtful and respectful of a culture they're using as props and for likes, etc.

Everyone always wants to be black, anyway...

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Stop fucking with white people, simple as that.
My dude... This shit right here... How many examples do we need to see??? Their race as a whole is exploitative. The examples throughout history are limitless. Yeah there may be a few that are cool, but largely. They take what they want from cultures, and or civilizations. Profit from it, then move on. They don't fuck with our culture because they have no desire to understand it. They see something trendy, see a way they can appropriate it to their people as edgy, or hip for their gain. I'm not outraged thoigh, because it's what they do. I don't think about it on a deep enough level to dislike individuals when they do. But I'm notrying surprised. But eventually we have to come to the realization, and be comfortable with the fact that other races don't really fuck with us. They just envy us, and that leads to allot of the shit they do after we encounter them. Envy>jealousy>resentment>destruction... Common theme historically.

Last edited:

JofromthaNO

Urban Renaissance Woman
BGOL Investor
White woman styling their like Black Women is nothing new nor is it a hanging offense IMHO. Maybe if more sisters see whites wearing their hair like they could wear it naturally then maybe they will stop spending money on hair products to look like white people.

Nope, not happening... as long as black men keep going after these sisters with Indian, etc. weaves running down their back, they'll keep grabbing for the weaves.

Plus, most black women see wearing their hair in different styles as "variety" versus trying to emulate the looks of a whole other race or culture. Whereas, when white women do it, it's seen as being disrespectful and cultural appropriation.

Besides, what does it mean to wear your hair like a white woman anyway? White women have naturally curly hair, some have naturally straight hair, some are natural red heads, etc. There is variety in all of our hair.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Nope, not happening... as long as black men keep going after these sisters with Indian, etc. weaves running down their back, they'll keep grabbing for the weaves.

Plus, most black women see wearing their hair in different styles as "variety" versus trying to emulate the looks of a whole other race or culture. Whereas, when white women do it, it's seen as being disrespectful and cultural appropriation.

Besides, what does it mean to wear your hair like a white woman anyway? White women have naturally curly hair, some have naturally straight hair, some are natural red heads, etc. There is variety in all of our hair.

Black women's hair is so damn intimate and personal and a connection to their sense of self I have NO IDEA why ANYONE tries to get involved with that.

This reminds me the Shea moisture fiasco and even Chris Rock Good Hair documentary.

I have little girls and braid their hair I have sisters...I see what it is.

But I will say this Black women while it is important to take OWNERSHIP of their beautiful hair bodies features shapes...

they should NOT allow it to be a defining factor that can be used as a WEAPON against them.

We as black MEN and women should be well f*cking past this good hair thing.

JofromthaNO

Urban Renaissance Woman
BGOL Investor
Black women's hair is so damn intimate and personal and a connection to their sense of self I have NO IDEA why ANYONE tries to get involved with that.

This reminds me the Shea moisture fiasco and even Chris Rock Good Hair documentary.

I have little girls and braid their hair I have sisters...I see what it is.

But I will say this Black women while it is important to take OWNERSHIP of their beautiful hair bodies features shapes...

they should NOT allow it to be a defining factor that can be used as a WEAPON against them.

We as black MEN and women should be well f*cking past this good hair thing.

We should be past it, but it's STILL the reason more black women don't exercise - the amount of care, concern and money they put towards their hair.

When I go to the gym, a vast majority of the sisters I see in the gym have natural hair - I personally am trying to figure out how to braid mine up now (even though my husband hates braids) because I'm spending more and more time at the pool this summer.

A girlfriend and I were just talking about the "pressures" as a black woman of always making sure your hair is laid, and done up...and, how that's why we have so many black women walking around without their edges, and wearing wigs, etc.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
The only way she can redeeem herself and show penance is to go into her bathroom with her cell phone, in her bra and panties.

Then take some selfies from the front, side and back. Then take pics without her bra from the front, side and back. Then take off her panties and take pics from the front, side and back.

Then upload these pictures to the internet for inspection and approval.

This must be done within the next 72hrs.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
We should be past it, but it's STILL the reason more black women don't exercise - the amount of care, concern and money they put towards their hair.

When I go to the gym, a vast majority of the sisters I see in the gym have natural hair - I personally am trying to figure out how to braid mine up now (even though my husband hates braids) because I'm spending more and more time at the pool this summer.

A girlfriend and I were just talking about the "pressures" as a black woman of always making sure your hair is laid, and done up...and, how that's why we have so many black women walking around without their edges, and wearing wigs, etc.

as a Black man who has paid for many a wash and set from Dominicans, braids from Africans and weaves from Asians and LITERALLY thousands on all types of hair care products...

trust me I understand.

Funny thing is?

Many white chicks got pieces and wigs and spend a TON on their hair too!

But I am VERY happy natural is in style and I hope it STAYS that way....

cause its CHEAPER and HEALTHIER and honestly?

Better looking.

The braiding is just going on line looking at magazines and getting it done once or twice and WATCHING how it is getting done.

It is NOT easy....but the alternative aint better.

And I feel like the level of CARE we (black men and women) have to have with our hair is sorta symbolic and ritualistic.

yes it is a chore but its what makes us so unique...

And I HATE to say this...but most of the hair pressure?

Isn't from men, its from other women and themselves.

and I am NOT a hypocrite

I love me some long thick straight locks too but It is REALLY a dime a dozen now.

And I was the one who convinced my wife sisters and mom to go natural years ago.

And yeah on occasion a wig comes out :lol:

so what?

What you think these white chicks doing?

And these spanish chicks don't ALL have great hair either TRUST me.

Black women are goddess and need to STOP concerning themselves with outside sh*t and that includes OUR occasional ridiculousness.

Eli_Porter

BANNED
Registered
I don't want to hear jack shit about black womens hair being beautiful when 90% of black women have fake hair or dye their hair blonde like a fucking cac. There is NOTHING beautiful about a horse hair weave!

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member
I'm so lost...

What exactly did she do wrong??

She wore her hair like a black girl.

She made a joke referencing Obama.

She tries to twerk.

She likes black guys.

She wants to be like a black girl.

I don't understand who is offended and why they are.

I dunno anything about this chick either so I'm out of the loop.

oNE