Official Fishing Thread

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor
I just purchased the Ugly Stik Tiger rod (medium), and an Abu Garcia 6500 C3 Species Special Baitcast Reel... I'm trying not to over think it, but I'm reading everything I can get my hands on.

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor
We went fishing this Saturday at Perris Lake in Riverside County in Southern California.
I used a medium Ugly Stik Tiger rod with with 30 pound braid, a 4/0 circle hook, and some Danny King's Punch Bait.

I use some mess fabric and roll the punch bait into balls, then place it on the hook. It really stinks... I mean really stinks. But by rolling them into balls, I can put it on the hook quickly and not worry about fumbling around with the tackle etc... I roll it up at home, then put it in a small jar.

I caught this 10 pound Channel Cat... We filleted it and ate it that evening.

10-22-22.png

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
I just purchased the Ugly Stik Tiger rod (medium), and an Abu Garcia 6500 C3 Species Special Baitcast Reel... I'm trying not to over think it, but I'm reading everything I can get my hands on.

You should really look into Shimano baitrunners or any other type of bait feeder reel, maybe Okuma Ceymar or just anything like these reels.
They are dual drag reels, and they allow the fish to feed and take the bait and move off, you will see the fish taking line. If you use circle hooks the fish will hook itself while it is feeding. I dont do a lot of fresh water fishing, but if you are going to fish catfish look into a bait feeder.

dHustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I need to get an Ugly Stik, I got 4-5 Shakespeares, I think 2 are Contenders, can't remember the others. All bought brand new at Play it again sports.

I want a fishing kayak or something I can slide in and out of my 14' dump but paddling the river current is a bitch. Maybe something small with a go-devil on it, idk.

Last edited:

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
I've heard this from a buddy recently. Why not?

Both of my residences are on the ocean. San Fran and NJ. Right now it is striper season in NJ so that's what I fish for. Summertime flounder, if i am in sf it usually king salmon. There is good fresh water fishing in the area but I rather get a 30 lb striped bass than a 5 pound large mouth.

Saltwater fishing has bigger fish. Other than catfish, I can't really think of anything I can consistently catch over 10 pounds out of a lake.

dHustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Both of my residences are on the ocean. San Fran and NJ. Right now it is striper season in NJ so that's what I fish for. Summertime flounder, if i am in sf it usually king salmon. There is good fresh water fishing in the area but I rather get a 30 lb striped bass than a 5 pound large mouth.

Saltwater fishing has bigger fish. Other than catfish, I can't really think of anything I can consistently catch over 10 pounds out of a lake.
Damn.. You catch salmon in SF? That's dope. I been fishing on thr Chattahoochee river for bass, no dice. All I've ever caught is catfish and I don't eat catfish so I give em away or throw em back.

I just started the last couple years, still learning. Now I'm looking forward to saltwater fishing now. I got a brother in St. Croix, and I seen how they fish off the pier with no rod, just a spool.

PsiBorg

We Think, so We'll Know
BGOL Investor
I need to get an Ugly Stik, I got 4-5 Shakespeares, I think 2 are Contenders, can't remember the others. All bought brand new at Play it again sports.

I want a fishing kayak or something I can slide in and out of my 14' dump but paddling the river current is a bitch. Maybe something small with a go-devil on it, idk.
Right now, we're just bank fishing.

There were several kayaks out there though. I can see myself doing that later on.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
Damn.. You catch salmon in SF? That's dope. I been fishing on thr Chattahoochee river for bass, no dice. All I've ever caught is catfish and I don't eat catfish so I give em away or throw em back.

I just started the last couple years, still learning. Now I'm looking forward to saltwater fishing now. I got a brother in St. Croix, and I seen how they fish off the pier with no rod, just a spool.

Not just any salmon, king salmon.
The best out of all.
Bass you are going to get in freshwater lakes. River is probably to dirty for them.
Catfish and carp are scavengers and will eat just about anything and have no problem residing in muddy dirty water.
Chicken livers are a great bait for catfish.

dHustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not just any salmon, king salmon.
The best out of all.
Bass you are going to get in freshwater lakes. River is probably to dirty for them.
Catfish and carp are scavengers and will eat just about anything and have no problem residing in muddy dirty water.
Chicken livers are a great bait for catfish.
River is dirtier than a lake?
I thought moving water would be cleaner/better.

I been watching this guy's videos on River bass

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
River is dirtier than a lake?
I thought moving water would be cleaner/better.

I been watching this guy's videos on River bass

Depends on where you live.
If you are in a major city and have a river like the Hudson or the schukill that is polluted up you won't find bass. In a cleaner stream or river in a rural area you can.
I have an abandoned sand pit near my house that is a great place to catch bass. It is just a big hole that has filled up with water and we catch all kinds of stuff. Sunnys, bluegill, bass, crappie, and other things. I take my kids out there when they want to fish, it's just easier, everything I take them out on the boat they mysteriously end up in the water.

dHustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Depends on where you live.
If you are in a major city and have a river like the Hudson or the schukill that is polluted up you won't find bass. In a cleaner stream or river in a rural area you can.
I have an abandoned sand pit near my house that is a great place to catch bass. It is just a big hole that has filled up with water and we catch all kinds of stuff. Sunnys, bluegill, bass, crappie, and other things. I take my kids out there when they want to fish, it's just easier, everything I take them out on the boat they mysteriously end up in the water.
I'm in Atlanta

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
I've never went fishing but got a neighbor that would go once or twice a year.

He gave me some fish and they were fresh and delicious.

Cooked some fish on the grill and the flavor is way better than frying it.

dHustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yea, I rather the natural way, just go to a river or lake.
You have a lot of state parks to fish at which is cool. Check the internet because sometimes they are stcoked by the wildlife department.